Thread: The XFL thread

vCash

Sports The XFL thread

Figured I'd get this one started. Right now the over/under on number of seasons this league survives is 1.5
    Teams were announced this week:

Current head coaches include June Jones in Houston, Jim Zorn in Seattle, and Marc Trestman in Tampa Bay.
    Stadiums look like a mashup of whatever was available. Smallest stadium seats 20,000 (Washington DC); largest is New York's Met Life Stadium at 82,500. 4 fields are grass, 4 are turf; One baseball stadium, Global Life Park in Arlington will be converted for football.

Season is ten games long. Players are paid on a per game basis. There is one designated "franchise player" who earns 25-60 thousand per game. The players salaries break down as follows:
    Franchise Player (1): $25,000-$60,000 ($250,000-$600,000 per year)
    Tier 2 Players (3): $15,000-$17,500 ($150,000-$175,000 per year)
    Tier 3 Players (23): $6,000-$10,000 ($60,000-$100,000 per year)
    Tier 4 Players (18): $5,000-$6,000 ($50,000-$60,000 per year)
    Salaries actually look pretty good.

There are a number of proposals that the XFL are looking at for rule changes. Perhaps the key one (now confirmed as a rule) is ALL passes behind the line of scrimmage to have the same protocols of a lateral pass. This would allow for an additional pass over the line of scrimmage in any behind the line of scrimmage throw. It would also mean the ball would be live on any incompleted throws behind the line of scrimmage.

Key changes to the timing of a game to speed things up:
    Other than change of possession, clock will run continuous, except for the last two minutes of a half. Play clock is 25 seconds, but from the end of the play (CFL is 20 seconds, but that is from the spotting of the ball from the official). Things could get crazy and really make substitutions difficult.

They are also tinkering with some CFL type rules including a five-yard zone on punt returns and defenses lining up one yard off of scrimmage.

Season begins the weekend following the Super Bowl in 2020.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Re: The XFL thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Key changes to the timing of a game to speed things up:
    Other than change of possession, clock will run continuous, except for the last two minutes of a half. Play clock is 25 seconds, but from the end of the play (CFL is 20 seconds, but that is from the spotting of the ball from the official). Things could get crazy and really make substitutions difficult.
    I'm assuming they will stop the clock for injuries as well? Could make for a lot of in game "injuries"
    #PizStrong

vCash

Go battlecats....I mean hawks
    In Rod we trust

vCash

This league won't survive even 1 season.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    This league won't survive even 1 season.
    Unlike the AAF, it won't be for lack of funding if it doesn't last.

I don't believe that there is a proven market/fan appetite for spring football. Will be incumbent on them to learn every lesson from why things failed in the past, adjust for it, sell the game in a modern day packaging with technology, betting, etc and have top-shelf broadcasting. That's more likely the recipe for survival more so than success.
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash

The XFL, like all of the other spring leagues, have not learned from the past. They can not start out in large markets in big stadiums. They should be looking at smaller under represented markets with 30Kish stadiums. Try and make it the only game in town.

Think places like in the state of Wyoming for example. They are a good football market, and they do not have any major pro sports teams. If they want to go into Texas think Corpus Christi or Galveston not Houston or Dallas. Boise or Fargo maybe good markets. Once again good football markets, no major pro sports. There are other markets on the East Coast that are in the same boat as well. Think Albany rather than New York City, or South Carolina rather than Florida. If the league catches on, then you can start getting into more larger centers.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    The XFL, like all of the other spring leagues, have not learned from the past. They can not start out in large markets in big stadiums. They should be looking at smaller under represented markets with 30Kish stadiums. Try and make it the only game in town.

Think places like in the state of Wyoming for example. They are a good football market, and they do not have any major pro sports teams. If they want to go into Texas think Corpus Christi or Galveston not Houston or Dallas. Boise or Fargo maybe good markets. Once again good football markets, no major pro sports. There are other markets on the East Coast that are in the same boat as well. Think Albany rather than New York City, or South Carolina rather than Florida. If the league catches on, then you can start getting into more larger centers.
    I agree if the focus is on gate, but in this day and age, it's all about the TV deal, so they likely need at least a couple above average markets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I agree if the focus is on gate, but in this day and age, it's all about the TV deal, so they likely need at least a couple above average markets.
    100% agree. If they're to make it, they'll likely make it based on their success with TV and technology (apps and other revenue generating and engagement streams).

My theory is that there are fans that love a sport enough to watch almost any form of it, those that need a local tie/rooting interest, and those that will be more casual fans. Hard to imagine that you'll be able to launch a new league with likely very little name recognition of the players, without having some sort of geographic fan base. It can absolutely happen that they get washed out in a larger centre with other options competing for eyeballs, and to me, NY and LA are risks that way, but they'll also need to have some hope to build regional followings, and I think they're on the right track with both Houston and Dallas that way. Maybe it would work, in a Saskatchewan sort of way, to put a team in Montana or Wyoming, but to my thinking, it would be a bit of a hail mary, where you're hoping that lightening strikes and you get an entire state engaged and buying in.

Any way they go about this, they're going to have to ride out a few years of growing pains and brand building if they hope to ultimately succeed, and it will be a real challenge, even for a brand-savvy organization, to avoid getting defined by their detractors before they can go out and establish their own identity in the market.
    Life is Good.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

While my love of football is strong...my hatred of Vince McMahon will keep me away from anything XFL related. I'm one of the few that hopes it doesn't even get one game in before folding.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

They could go into bigger markets, but play in smaller stadiums. They are playing in a 20k stadium in Washington, they has to be some in the New York and LA area. Don't the Chargers currently play in a smaller stadium?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    They could go into bigger markets, but play in smaller stadiums. They are playing in a 20k stadium in Washington, they has to be some in the New York and LA area. Don't the Chargers currently play in a smaller stadium?
    Yeah, the LA XFL franchise will be playing in the same stadium - used to be Stub Hub Centre - now called Dignity Health Sports Park (seats 27k).
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie