Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

vCash

Re: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

Disappointed but now we know what type of team we really have. Competing to the 4th place in the West but still a step up fomr last year but not up to par with Winnipeg and Calgary. Hopefully the team is better than Sask, but I have my doubts.
    Last edited by Oiler; 09-03-2019 at 03:15 AM.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Disappointed but now we know what type of team we really have. Competing to the 4th place in the West but still a step up fomr last year but not up to par with Winnipeg and Calgary. Hopefully the team is better than Sask, but I have my doubts.
    This team is not better than Sask...MAYBE on defense but not on offense.

Teams now know what kind of dink and dunk offense we run and plan for it. All day Calgary was lining up just short of the first down marker and stopping us cold. They read our scheme and shut it down. And our two inept offensive coordinators couldn't adjust to figure it out. GO DEEP YOU MORONS! STRETCH THE FIELD!

Idiotic play calling and coaching yesterday. Pull your head of your ass Maas. You looked clueless at times yesterday and Calgary served you your breakfast, lunch and dinner all day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    It is Harris' Mo for sure. But he's got to realize he has more time that he can wait an extra second or 2 before dumping it off. I'd be happy as hell if we got rid of those swing passes to the side where there is no blocking for the receiver to actually do anything.

as for the 2nd and 6 and we throw for 3 or 4. That also could be on Collins for not pushing deep enough ( the first one marker) then turning.
    That swing pass hasn't worked for the Eskimos for years. No clue how they have no clue how to run it but that's one play that gets us NO result.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    What really got me was their lack of emotion as a team. Except for Daniels on a couple of occasions I really saw no fire out of anyone and that included the coaching staff. We've lost a few games this year but i believe that is the first time I can say that. There was never a sense of urgency or desperation. I know it's not the case but it almost seemed like they were content to let the game play out and get back to it next week. Very disappointing.
    it seems like that every labour day game. The most anticipated game, and they go in knowing thery're going to lose, the coaches the players!!!!!! like c'mon already...I get fired up for the games why not the Eskimos?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Teams now know what kind of dink and dunk offense we run and plan for it. All day Calgary was lining up just short of the first down marker and stopping us cold. They read our scheme and shut it down. And our two inept offensive coordinators couldn't adjust to figure it out. GO DEEP YOU MORONS! STRETCH THE FIELD!

Idiotic play calling and coaching yesterday. Pull your head of your ass Maas. You looked clueless at times yesterday and Calgary served you your breakfast, lunch and dinner all day.

- - - Updated - - -

That swing pass hasn't worked for the Eskimos for years. No clue how they have no clue how to run it but that's one play that gets us NO result.
    I have no idea why Maas does not adapt, is that not a big part of the game?... if it doesn't work try something else. is he that much of a dips***???? he has the tools around him, use those tools, take advantage of their abilities and talents..... frustrating as a fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they seemed successful when they did the 10-20 yd passes.AND put in Cooper!!!!! "Life is simple, people make it complex!".. just like football,its a very simple game, do what works!!!!!!!!!!!!! uuugghhhhhhh

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodzz View Post
    I have no idea why Maas does not adapt, is that not a big part of the game?... if it doesn't work try something else. is he that much of a dips***???? he has the tools around him, use those tools, take advantage of their abilities and talents..... frustrating as a fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they seemed successful when they did the 10-20 yd passes.AND put in Cooper!!!!! "Life is simple, people make it complex!".. just like football,its a very simple game, do what works!!!!!!!!!!!!! uuugghhhhhhh
    Agreed. So tired of watching other teams RB's hit the holes at full speed while Gable gets the ball, does a side step and then gets tackled.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Adjei is decent rarely drops the ball but his job is pretty much as a safety valve underneath guy if they drop coverage back on the dangerous receivers. He's never going to run a post though and torch a secondary. Normally it's the rb that's the check down guy but often Gable stays in pass protection. So I agree with you you really need your american guys to be getting downfield and catching the 15-25 yard chunk plays. When your safety valve guy and kicker are having record years you can see what the issue is
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with Adjei. He's a decent Canadian receiver. But as you said when your number #4 check down receiver is probably going to triple his stats this season, I don't see that as a good thing. I looked at the stats. Harris averaged 6.2 yards per pass, Mitchell averaged 9.4. So Harris needs his receivers to catch and get an additional 4 yards to get a first down, Mitchell is throwing for first downs. We saw the difference yesterday. Mitchell is similar to Harris in that he likes to throw the ball quickly. I don't think the Stamps receivers are dramatically better than the Esks receivers. The panel was saying they think the Esks have the best receiving core in the league. Both QB's typically get good protection. Maas's offense year after year puts up big yards. Both QB's aren't exactly the most mobile. So what's left? IMO as I said, Harris seems to have it in his mind that he needs to get that ball out as fast as he can no matter what. He is not willing to take that 1 extra second to survey the field or let that receiver take 2 more steps to get a few extra yards. The Collins pass that has been discussed is a prime example. 2nd and 6 and Harris was going to Collins no matter what. There is no chance that any other receiver was close to finishing whatever route they were doing to maybe get a first down. He was getting that call to his release receiver on that play and there was NO CHANCE the Esks were getting a first down there. Where as Mitchell waits 1 extra second for a guy to get open or to finish that route of take those extra couple of steps to get to that first down marker. I am genuinely concerned because this isn't just a bad game, this is been the same thing for the whole season. If the Esks receivers encounter good tackling teams, they don't get first downs because they are constantly getting the ball 3+ yards short.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Pre snap reads...

7 throws out of ten .. the qb knows where the ball is going before the ball is ever snapped..

This is regular 1 step / 3 step drop

The anomaly is reilly who will hold the ball looking for the deeper route to evolve.. I’m not gonna complain at my qb if he sees pre snap x is open and he throws it.
    That’s on ME as a playcaller if I don’t call the right play

As far as redzone yesterday was a little different we only went in there twice I believe.. Calgary was in there 5 maybe 6 times and only got 2 majors.. your not gonna score tds every time. However what I have taken from this so far is we miss reilly short yardage more than anything else... on our first redzone attempt on 2!d and 4 we would have ran that last year and if we didn’t get it, reilly was auto from a yard
    Reilly was also double digit td runs last 2 seasons and that really helps our rz.. this year our 3rd and 1 are an adventure with Harris..

Lest we forget harris was player of the month just a few days ago.. let’s not jump ship.

I’m also perplexed at the pass the defence is getting this mornin

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    What is it going to take at the CFL Board of Governers level to change this? The Esks, Bombers & Argos have to be very vocal & steadfast that this has to change next season.
    Hell, the Esks should deliberately schedule something (maybe a concert or a tractor pull) for the Friday & Saturday following LD so that Commonwealth is not available for the rematch game. That might force the CFL to make the necessary change....
    As much as I'm sure Toronto, WInnipeg and Edmonton would love to host a Labour Day game , sadly TSN will never allow it.

vCash

Was pissed at the refs for the winnipeg lost, am disappointed in our team for yesterdays loss. There aren't any excuses for the egg we laid yesterday, in all 3 phases of the game.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Was pissed at the refs for the winnipeg lost, am disappointed in our team for yesterdays loss. There aren't any excuses for the egg we laid yesterday, in all 3 phases of the game.
    This! ^

Our worst game of the year as a team

vCash

Harris yesterday was 27-35 216 for 216 yards. That's a 77% completion percentage. That is really great.
    Mitchell yesterday was 19-28 for 263 yards and a TD. Plus a 2 point conversion. That's a 67.8% completion percentage.
    It wasn't even close.

I think it's great that Harris can put up big numbers and man is he accurate. He got another player of the month for August. Awesome. The Esks were 1-3 in August and they barely beat the Red Blacks. The RedBlacks actually should have won their game against the Esks. I would be totally fine if Harris never won a player of the month ever again but the Eskimos team won games.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    100%
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Agreed. So tired of watching other teams RB's hit the holes at full speed while Gable gets the ball, does a side step and then gets tackled.
    Agreed, getting very tired of watching Gable dance behind the line of scrimmage. Especially on second and 2 when all you have to do is hit the line at full speed and you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least one and a half yards out of that. Dancing in the backfield and losing yards in that situation is unacceptable.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Trying to add images
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cmbuk; 09-03-2019 at 11:16 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Agreed, getting very tired of watching Gable dance behind the line of scrimmage. Especially on second and 2 when all you have to do is hit the line at full speed and you are pretty much guaranteed to get at least one and a half yards out of that. Dancing in the backfield and losing yards in that situation is unacceptable.
    It drives me nuts seeing him dancing. The commentators mentioned it as well. As soon as a back starts dancing, usually they are done. He's 219 pounds. Plow ahead. If all you can get is 2-3 yards, get the 2-3 yards especially in short yardage. Don't take a bloody loss. He's not a shifty, speedster, scat back. He's at his best when he gets the ball, runs full speed and drags guys.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Trying to add images
    what are we looking at CM?
    #PizStrong

vCash

I’m really keen to see where we’re all attacking this defence??

- - - Updated - - -

Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap

Redzone
    Last edited by cmbuk; 09-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.

vCash

First 3 photos are in general play

2nd 3 are in the Calgary redzone

We have some resident dcs here who can tell u exactly what they are running.. but I don’t see how we’re attacking this defence vertically .. they keep everything in front of em

The play design on third down in the 4th was actually really well designed with a trios look and then a whip in to open up Collins. Harris maybe could have led him more but the db really read it well..

As I stated I’m keen to hear how we’re attacking calgary

vCash

What is it going to take at the CFL Board of Governers level to change this? The Esks, Bombers & Argos have to be very vocal & steadfast that this has to change next season.
    Hell, the Esks should deliberately schedule something (maybe a concert or a tractor pull) for the Friday & Saturday following LD so that Commonwealth is not available for the rematch game. That might force the CFL to make the necessary change....
    I'd be cool with the tractor pull

vCash

That last big photo is the play I thought that Daniels could get four yards if you just threw it to him when he hit the line of scrimmage. For a team that everyone complains about them sinking and dunking (Not that I'm saying they don't) why can they not dink and dunk four four yards there.

What would you have run there cmbuk?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    That last big photo is the play I thought that Daniels could get four yards if you just threw it to him when he hit the line of scrimmage. For a team that everyone complains about them sinking and dunking (Not that I'm saying they don't) why can they not dink and dunk four four yards there.

What would you have run there cmbuk?

U got 3 down line men and 3 linebackers . Who are reactive.. Dbs are soft keeping everything in front.. I’d run the football... make 3rd down a sneak if you can’t get the 4

And I think this is where we differ from years past we run less in the redzone and I think Jason’s has zero faith in our sneak game..

vCash

That seems justified; our sneak success percentage is way down this year.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I have no doubt that Maas doesn't have faith in the sneak attack. They have been stuffed A LOT. With Reilly it was automatic but he was huge and wasn't afraid to lunge in there like he was shot out of a cannon. I wonder if Harris is just a bit too tentative to do the sneak attack. I don't see him attack the line like Reilly did. When the Dline is a yard off the ball and you know the snap count. If you are taking it from under center, unless the QB botches the snap, getting a yard or more should be easy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    U got 3 down line men and 3 linebackers . Who are reactive.. Dbs are soft keeping everything in front.. I’d run the football... make 3rd down a sneak if you can’t get the 4

And I think this is where we differ from years past we run less in the redzone and I think Jason’s has zero faith in our sneak game..
    I can definitely see that. I would like to see them maybe pull the left guard and sweep it to the right. Too many times I see them going to the short side of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It almost looked as if they had had 17 days to scout our offensive game film...
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-03-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Pretty easy for Calgary if Edmonton's offense calls plays 100% in the box and never stretches the field.
    Just because you watch the game on TV doesn't mean you know what the playcalls are.

On the coaches show last week Maas said he called 22 plays in the Winnipeg game where Ellingson was the primary target and he only ended up with 3 catches on 7 targets.

It's the coaches job to study the opponents gamefilm and put together a package that has plays designed to attack the weak spots. It's the QB's job to make the correct reads on the field in real time and figure out where the open guy is on a given play. Every play will have an open guy, it's just a matter of finding them in time. Last year everyone complained that Maas was calling too many deep balls, now everyone's complaining that he's calling too many short passing routes, do people really think his philosophy has changed that drastically? Or could it have something to do with the differences in the QB's?

Calgary's D had over two weeks to scheme for this game, that's a huge advantage.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-03-2019 at 01:00 PM.

vCash

FYI, Colqhoun was replaced at the corner by Josh Johnson.
    Agreed that Money Hunter is horrible in pass coverage & shouldn’t be in there. But when Hightower went down, Hunter was inserted into his place.
    Fortunately, Hightower practiced and could be available Saturday. Someone needs to cover Bagelton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Edmonton Eskimos are going to win the Grey Cup this year. Shove this quote down my throat at year end if necessary.
    Would love for this to be accurate, but the scariest stat the Esks have on the entire season so far is that they have ZERO touchdowns against any Western team currently in the playoffs when they scrimmage the ball on the oppositions side of the field. This feeble stat is over a 4 game sample. To win the Grey Cup, they need to actually score a touchdown against a Western playoff team when they scrimmage on the oppositions side of the field. At their current pace, the most opportunity they'll have to do so is 4 games.

__
    Sorry it was pointed out that they did get a 26 yarder in the first Calgary game. However, in the same vein, they haven't scored a major from the red zone against a team currently in a playoff spot since Game 1 vs. Montreal. 9 consecutive fails. Overall they are 2-12 against playoff teams at converting in the red zone.
    Last edited by bone; 09-03-2019 at 03:30 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I can definitely see that. I would like to see them maybe pull the left guard and sweep it to the right. Too many times I see them going to the short side of the field.
    I haven't seen any live practices to judge, but is Kilgore an option for sneak plays? Shot in the dark here, but maybe it's time to switch things up a bit?
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    I haven't seen any live practices to judge, but is Kilgore an option for sneak plays? Shot in the dark here, but maybe it's time to switch things up a bit?
    I think this has been brought up before but traditionally Maas doesn't like to sub out his QB for sneaks because it allows the opposition to sub in their jumbo team. But I've been noticing more and more as this season has gone on that we are starting to bring in extra blockers on sneaks now so if we're going to do that anyways we might as well have a running QB3 to come in. We don't have a guy like that on our roster right now though.

vCash

Our Offense is extremely predictable. Combined with a RB who has decided he needs to do a jig before hitting the line it doesn't look good. WE need a change of pace at RB. We have Jones on the roster why not give him a series?? I know we needed Gables blocking but I feel that would be more for Mike and how he'll hang on to the ball longer.

How much falls on Jordan Maksymic OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR / QUARTERBACKS COACH ?