Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

vCash

Re: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Our Offense is extremely predictable. Combined with a RB who has decided he needs to do a jig before hitting the line it doesn't look good. WE need a change of pace at RB. We have Jones on the roster why not give him a series?? I know we needed Gables blocking but I feel that would be more for Mike and how he'll hang on to the ball longer.

How much falls on Jordan Maksymic OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR / QUARTERBACKS COACH ?
    I wouldn't mind seeing Gable sit for a game in exchange for Cooper, if they can't find a way to get them both on the roster.
    #PizStrong

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Our Offense is extremely predictable. Combined with a RB who has decided he needs to do a jig before hitting the line it doesn't look good. WE need a change of pace at RB. We have Jones on the roster why not give him a series?? I know we needed Gables blocking but I feel that would be more for Mike and how he'll hang on to the ball longer.

How much falls on Jordan Maksymic OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR / QUARTERBACKS COACH ?
    Not very much I don't think, despite his title he is in more of a support role I believe. Although he, Jason, and Trevor spend countless hours together during every week building the game plan.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Gable sit for a game in exchange for Cooper, if they can't find a way to get them both on the roster.
    I agree. All our running plays (what little we have) seem to be interior runs. We need to get something going outside.

Also - not sure if it was mentioned, but we actually had seven OL on the roster this game. Just wanted to point that out since there has been a concern in the past regarding that.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

I love CJ Gable but at times this season he's started to look like he's nearing the edge of that cliff that RB's tend to fall off of.

I'd love to see if Cooper could provide a spark, but benching a vet leader is not always a great idea either... Tricky balance to strike.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I agree. All our running plays (what little we have) seem to be interior runs. We need to get something going outside.

Also - not sure if it was mentioned, but we actually had seven OL on the roster this game. Just wanted to point that out since there has been a concern in the past regarding that.
    That was supposed to be Gable's m.o. given that he's a bigger back that will run through you up the middle, I don't think he has the speed to get outside, which as you say is what this offence is missing right now.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-03-2019 at 01:30 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Just because you watch the game on TV doesn't mean you know what the playcalls are.

On the coaches show last week Maas said he called 22 plays in the Winnipeg game where Ellingson was the primary target and he only ended up with 3 catches on 7 targets.

It's the coaches job to study the opponents gamefilm and put together a package that has plays designed to attack the weak spots. It's the QB's job to make the correct reads on the field in real time and figure out where the open guy is on a given play. Every play will have an open guy, it's just a matter of finding them in time. Last year everyone complained that Maas was calling too many deep balls, now everyone's complaining that he's calling too many short passing routes, do people really think his philosophy has changed that drastically? Or could it have something to do with the differences in the QB's?

Calgary's D had over two weeks to scheme for this game, that's a huge advantage.
    Adjei had 8 catches last game. Gable had 3. 41% of the completed passes went to the check down receiver of the back. Ellingston had 3 catches last game. He was one of the top receivers in the league before last week. I have a hard time believing that game plan going in and the plays being called had Adjei as the focal point of the offense. As you said, I think it's more of the QB not making the right reads or as I keep saying having it in his mind that he needs to get rid of that ball as fast as he can so he's not looking around. He's going for the closest guy Harris has.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Just because you watch the game on TV doesn't mean you know what the playcalls are.

On the coaches show last week Maas said he called 22 plays in the Winnipeg game where Ellingson was the primary target and he only ended up with 3 catches on 7 targets.

It's the coaches job to study the opponents gamefilm and put together a package that has plays designed to attack the weak spots. It's the QB's job to make the correct reads on the field in real time and figure out where the open guy is on a given play. Every play will have an open guy, it's just a matter of finding them in time. Last year everyone complained that Maas was calling too many deep balls, now everyone's complaining that he's calling too many short passing routes, do people really think his philosophy has changed that drastically? Or could it have something to do with the differences in the QB's?

Calgary's D had over two weeks to scheme for this game, that's a huge advantage.
    Agreed with you sir...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Adjei had 8 catches last game. Gable had 3. 41% of the completed passes went to the check down receiver of the back. Ellingston had 3 catches last game. He was one of the top receivers in the league before last week. I have a hard time believing that game plan going in and the plays being called had Adjei as the focal point of the offense. As you said, I think it's more of the QB not making the right reads or as I keep saying having it in his mind that he needs to get rid of that ball as fast as he can so he's not looking around. He's going for the closest guy Harris has.
    Adjei isn't being targeted, nor is he the number 1 read in my opinion. Simply that Calgary's secondary was locking us down, and Harris wasn't finding anyone open and forced to dump off to Adjei.
    Calgary can sit back on him because they know he is slow and they are fast, and his dump routes won't get first down.
    Harris probably had little fait pushing the ball to Collins after he bobbled a pass into an interception, and then got outrun on an endzone route for another interception.

At the start of the year I was concerned about our receiving corps. That has all come to fruition. Ellingson was also invisible.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Adjei isn't being targeted, nor is he the number 1 read in my opinion. Simply that Calgary's secondary was locking us down, and Harris wasn't finding anyone open and forced to dump off to Adjei.
    Calgary can sit back on him because they know he is slow and they are fast, and his dump routes won't get first down.
    Harris probably had little fait pushing the ball to Collins after he bobbled a pass into an interception, and then got outrun on an endzone route for another interception.

At the start of the year I was concerned about our receiving corps. That has all come to fruition. Ellingson was also invisible.
    I don't think any of the plays have Adjei as the primary target, I just think Harris is so worried about getting the ball out quick that if the primary target isn't wide open, he's not willing to scan the field that extra second to find someone else. He's got 43 reception in 11 games. He will probably end up with over 60 catches. That's a crazy amount for your #4 receiver. So maybe the Esks aren't making him the primary target but Harris definitely defers to him more than he should in my opinion.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

It almost looked as if they had had 17 days to scout our offensive game film...
    So fix the game plan? Adjust at half time?

That's not an excuse at all. Come on now.

Pitfall Harry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

^^ This.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I can't remember... Did Harris get clobbered a lot in Ottawa? Maybe he's not keen on getting squished and is using the fastest read he can find to keep off the turf? I don't know, but the way the O has been in the Red Zone is downright embarrassing. The stats might look good on paper, but the on field performance isn't measuring up. Frustrating as hell.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I can't remember... Did Harris get clobbered a lot in Ottawa? Maybe he's not keen on getting squished and is using the fastest read he can find to keep off the turf? I don't know, but the way the O has been in the Red Zone is downright embarrassing. The stats might look good on paper, but the on field performance isn't measuring up. Frustrating as hell.
    I don't think Harris is timid or afraid to be hit. He ran the ball a couple times, uncharacteristically and wouldn't even slide; taking the hit.

vCash

Good question. He doesn't have to be Reilly who stands there at times way, way too long but it would be nice to see him stand in there for an extra second, try for the odd second read, let a play develop. Even Mitchell who likes to get the ball off quickly is willing to wait an extra second or step up in the pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Well obviously but do you really think they didn’t try that? More often than not this season our half time adjustments have worked, this time they didn’t so it’s back to the drawing board. Jason and Trevor are smart guys, they’ll get this figured out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    How do we even know if we have a deep threat when the Qb doesn't throw the ball over 6 yards very often?

I just looked at the game stats. When Adjei is your leading receiver, you will lose the game every time IMO. This isn't me ragging on Adjei, he's a perfectly fine complimentary receiver. But he should be your 4th receiver at best. The last resort guy. Harris targets him WAY too much. He's got 43 catches. He had 22 all of last year. He's probably going to end up with 60-70 catches. He's flat out not a good enough receiver to be seeing that many balls. But he's the guy who runs the short routes and Harris defers too.
    Adjei has been the team's leading receiver in 3 games this season. We won the first two times.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Adjei has been the team's leading receiver in 3 games this season. We won the first two times.
    So we are .667 when Adjei is our leading receiver, but only .500 when he is not?
    Interesting

So we are .667 when Adjei is our leading receiver, but only .500 when he is not?
    Interesting
    More targets for Adjei!

vCash

Was that getting outrun on an end zone route in a different game? Wasn't there only the one interception on Monday?

vCash

keep in mind guys, Harris' time in OTT with a different OC... im pretty sure i recall he had his redzone struggles also..and did dink and dunk too, sprinkled with the Ellingson bombs once in a blue moon no?

Harris now 0-8-2 vs cgy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Pre snap reads...

7 throws out of ten .. the qb knows where the ball is going before the ball is ever snapped..

This is regular 1 step / 3 step drop

The anomaly is reilly who will hold the ball looking for the deeper route to evolve.. Iím not gonna complain at my qb if he sees pre snap x is open and he throws it.
    Thatís on ME as a playcaller if I donít call the right play

As far as redzone yesterday was a little different we only went in there twice I believe.. Calgary was in there 5 maybe 6 times and only got 2 majors.. your not gonna score tds every time. However what I have taken from this so far is we miss reilly short yardage more than anything else... on our first redzone attempt on 2!d and 4 we would have ran that last year and if we didnít get it, reilly was auto from a yard
    Reilly was also double digit td runs last 2 seasons and that really helps our rz.. this year our 3rd and 1 are an adventure with Harris..

Lest we forget harris was player of the month just a few days ago.. letís not jump ship.

Iím also perplexed at the pass the defence is getting this mornin
    On 3 and 1 1/2 bring in Briscoe he is a tank very athletic and would be better on short yardage than Harris or Kilgore in my opinion.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    keep in mind guys, Harris' time in OTT with a different OC... im pretty sure i recall he had his redzone struggles also..and did dink and dunk too, sprinkled with the Ellingson bombs once in a blue moon no?

Harris now 0-8-2 vs cgy
    At this point I'd settle for a tie

- - - Updated - - -

In case anyone is wondering Edmonton is 1 point fave this week
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    On 3 and 1 1/2 bring in Briscoe he is a tank very athletic and would be better on short yardage than Harris or Kilgore in my opinion.
    The Esks have dressed only 2 QB’s for the past 6 games.
    Would be hard to bring in Briscoe if he’s out of uniform!

- - - Updated - - -

Reid Wilkins discussed this very point on his show following the Esks post-game Show.
    His point was that Cooper is nowhere near the blocker that Gable is, hence their reluctance to play him....
    Last edited by writfiler; 09-03-2019 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Cooper might not be the blocker that Gable is...but if he's got the ball and is running it - he's not needed for blocking.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Cooper might not be the blocker that Gable is...but if he's got the ball and is running it - he's not needed for blocking.
    Is there any way we can get Cooper, Gable, and Jones on the roster?
    It'd mean two designated imports, and I think you only get four.
    It means you'd only get to dress two backups out of: Vickers, Bazzie, Walton, or a backup defensive back.
    This is where Canadian depth is huge, can you find quality rotational Canadians? Onyeka back up DB. Blair Smith/Mulumba as backup LB's. Jesse Jospeh, or *fingers crossed* Mathieu Betts as backup DE.

vCash

Exactly. There has been a fair bit of criticism on here that Harris gets rid of the ball too quickly and doesn't wait for plays to develop so does he really need the superior blocking that Gable provides? Gable only rushed for 35 yards on labour day and 27 yards in the first game against Calgary so I think maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to see what Cooper can bring.

vCash

Is there any way we can get Cooper, Gable, and Jones on the roster?
    It'd mean two designated imports, and I think you only get four.
    It means you'd only get to dress two backups out of: Vickers, Bazzie, Walton, or a backup defensive back.
    This is where Canadian depth is huge, can you find quality rotational Canadians? Onyeka back up DB. Blair Smith/Mulumba as backup LB's. Jesse Jospeh, or *fingers crossed* Mathieu Betts as backup DE.
    The ratio really got screwed up when the oft-injured Colqhoun went back on the 6-game IR before the Calgary game.

vCash

I wouldn't bother with a return specialist. Until our blocking schemes improve, it doesn't really matter anyway. Just find a guy who can reliably catch the ball and tell him to run forward. Use the roster spot for Cooper and mix it up at RB. It will probably bring much more to our field position and maybe we can get some TD's in the red zone.

vCash

I wouldn't bother with a return specialist. Until our blocking schemes improve, it doesn't really matter anyway. Just find a guy who can reliably catch the ball and tell him to run forward. Use the roster spot for Cooper and mix it up at RB. It will probably bring much more to our field position and maybe we can get some TD's in the red zone.
    I agree but for reasons I don’t understand, Maas is very committed to having a designated returner AND getting him on the field as much as possible. How else do you explain constantly choosing to return a kick after field goals when the numbers clearly show we should just take it at the 35.

It's funny because that was Maas' philosophy in his first season as HC and people around here roasted him for saying just that.