Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

vCash

Re: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    to be fair, unless you where at the game, we can't see how the coverage was downfield.

I feel the same

right a "hold"

some legit some not so legit.

If Maas is calling the plays - me thinks its time someone else does. 2nd and 6 and have a three yard route???

Harris needs to realize he's got more time in the pocket than he thinks at times. I'd assume calgary was doing a good job covering
    I agree I wasn't at the game so I couldn't complete see the coverage BUT in saying that, Harris's MO is to get the ball out as quickly as he can. This isn't something he started when he came to the Esks, it's his style thing. You made my point a little on your comment about a 3 yard out when you need 6. Collins was the hot route receiver. Harris has other receivers running routes. From the snap of the ball, that ball was in and out of his hands in a second. I doubt the other receivers had time to finish their routes before he'd thrown the ball. He has TIME to look around. But if you watch him game after game, he has made the decision to get that ball out as fast as he can.

I am sure some of offences struggles especially to score are on play calling but I believe a huge chunk is straight up on Harris. I don't think he is making good decisions. Defences are more willing to let you dink and dunk all your want between the 20's. As soon as you get inside the 20, they don't give you a 5 yard cushion. Yet he's bound and determine to get that ball out as quickly as he can and take that 3 yard pass and hope like hell the guy can make 3 guy miss. Other times he flat out misses receivers. Late in the game when they gambled on 3rd trying to score. The first down play they ran that stupid dump pass to Adjei. Then second down the receiver had his man beat in the corner, Harris missed the throw. That had to be there
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Looked like the Stampeder lineman recovered the ball Nook.
    Replay showed the Eskimo cover it and come up with it.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    This team has no heart & desire on both sides of the ball....
    Can’t see us winning next week either.
    I can guarantee that Donut Dave won’t have one negative thing to say in the post-game Show either....
    What really got me was their lack of emotion as a team. Except for Daniels on a couple of occasions I really saw no fire out of anyone and that included the coaching staff. We've lost a few games this year but i believe that is the first time I can say that. There was never a sense of urgency or desperation. I know it's not the case but it almost seemed like they were content to let the game play out and get back to it next week. Very disappointing.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The Edmonton Eskimos are going to win the Grey Cup this year. Shove this quote down my throat at year end if necessary.
    That’s used to be me saying that every year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    There were actually two holding penalties against the Esks on the play. Of course, they never showed a replay. Of a TD. Taken away by a penalty.

I have this theory that TSN has an agreement not to show invisible or ticky-tack calls. Well they can’t show the invisible calls if they aren’t there. ��
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I agree I wasn't at the game so I couldn't complete see the coverage BUT in saying that, Harris's MO is to get the ball out as quickly as he can. This isn't something he started when he came to the Esks, it's his style thing. You made my point a little on your comment about a 3 yard out when you need 6. Collins was the hot route receiver. Harris has other receivers running routes. From the snap of the ball, that ball was in and out of his hands in a second. I doubt the other receivers had time to finish their routes before he'd thrown the ball. He has TIME to look around. But if you watch him game after game, he has made the decision to get that ball out as fast as he can.
    It is Harris' Mo for sure. But he's got to realize he has more time that he can wait an extra second or 2 before dumping it off. I'd be happy as hell if we got rid of those swing passes to the side where there is no blocking for the receiver to actually do anything.

as for the 2nd and 6 and we throw for 3 or 4. That also could be on Collins for not pushing deep enough ( the first one marker) then turning.

vCash

I am sure some of offences struggles especially to score are on play calling but I believe a huge chunk is straight up on Harris. I don't think he is making good decisions. Defences are more willing to let you dink and dunk all your want between the 20's. As soon as you get inside the 20, they don't give you a 5 yard cushion. Yet he's bound and determine to get that ball out as quickly as he can and take that 3 yard pass and hope like hell the guy can make 3 guy miss. Other times he flat out misses receivers. Late in the game when they gambled on 3rd trying to score. The first down play they ran that stupid dump pass to Adjei. Then second down the receiver had his man beat in the corner, Harris missed the throw. That had to be there
    Agree 100% on Harris wanting to get rid of the ball quick! Afraid of getting hit??? Not going to beat the better teams with that strategy. You don't get points on the board for high completion % and low yds per pass especially with a weak running game. Unless they can make some significant changes to their offence I predict them losing in the Eastern semi final cross over!!
    Last edited by Fishman; 09-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.

vCash

I'm no expert, but I happen to agree with most of the comments today. Harris either refuses to throw deep or the play calling doesn't allow for it. Gable needs to be replaced by Cooper. I've seen enough of Gable running into a wall up the middle for little to no gain. And the red zone production is atrocious. Might as well be called the field goal zone rather than the red zone. Some have mentioned that we don't have a big threat receiver. I disagree. Daniels is a stud. Elingson is more than capable. Neither are utilized in the red zone. It's just bizarre. I have no idea what this offence is doing. And I fear they don't know either, because they aren't learning from their mistakes.
    @chadganske

vCash

Thereís been suggestions on here that maybe we donít have that speedy deep threat needed to stretch the D.
    Does Josh Stangby have that necessary ingredient?
    Heís been healthy for a few weeks now & has been languishing on the PR.
    As I recall, heís returned kicks as well so if they dress him next game he comes on for Jones & gives us that possible deep threat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    WOW you are one optimistic SOB!!!!! If only!
    I simply see no great team in the league this year. The Eskimos are playing like garbage right now, not even close to potential. I've seen this act so many times in the past in the cfl. A team looks bad mid year and gets their act together for 3 games at playoff time. I am usually not an optimistic person, i have a feeling though.

vCash

Told you guys we should have sent Beerfish to Calgary.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I simply see no great team in the league this year. The Eskimos are playing like garbage right now, not even close to potential. I've seen this act so many times in the past in the cfl. A team looks bad mid year and gets their act together for 3 games at playoff time. I am usually not an optimistic person, i have a feeling though.
    For the record I would be ecstatic if you are right!!!!!!!

vCash

It is Harris' Mo for sure. But he's got to realize he has more time that he can wait an extra second or 2 before dumping it off. I'd be happy as hell if we got rid of those swing passes to the side where there is no blocking for the receiver to actually do anything.

as for the 2nd and 6 and we throw for 3 or 4. That also could be on Collins for not pushing deep enough ( the first one marker) then turning.

I agree. IMO Harris has it in his mind that he is going to get rid of that ball as fast as he can that he doesn't let a play develop. In the case of Collins, you could be right but at the same time, Harris threw that ball so fast, I don't think Collins could have extended that pattern even if he wanted to.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    There’s been suggestions on here that maybe we don’t have that speedy deep threat needed to stretch the D.
    Does Josh Stangby have that necessary ingredient?
    He’s been healthy for a few weeks now & has been languishing on the PR.
    As I recall, he’s returned kicks as well so if they dress him next game he comes on for Jones & gives us that possible deep threat.

How do we even know if we have a deep threat when the Qb doesn't throw the ball over 6 yards very often?

I just looked at the game stats. When Adjei is your leading receiver, you will lose the game every time IMO. This isn't me ragging on Adjei, he's a perfectly fine complimentary receiver. But he should be your 4th receiver at best. The last resort guy. Harris targets him WAY too much. He's got 43 catches. He had 22 all of last year. He's probably going to end up with 60-70 catches. He's flat out not a good enough receiver to be seeing that many balls. But he's the guy who runs the short routes and Harris defers too.

vCash

I have a hard time reading anything into the CFL guarnateeing the Stamps a win with not only a bye (!!!) before the home game but also the blatant Live Mic shenanigans.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    As much as we as Esks fans are going to whine and complain about the lack of going deep, you do have to give the Devil their due. Given that the Esks make a living on the deep ball, you have to know that the Stamps were going to do their best to take that away.

AS much as I want to see Duke and Zylstra make it in the NFL, the Esks NEED a clutch red zone reciever. They went O-2 today in the red zone and they are now 14-32. That is just not acceptable.
    The Defense actually played well, except for the final drive. They held the Stamps to 25 points, the offense just did not do anything to help them out.. I think at the end they were just just dead tired. I am not sure of the Time of Possession, but Calgary had to have dominated it.
    One positive to take out of this is the punt return game. The return team had 2 good returns, one for a touchdown. They were both called back because of penalty , but both penalties looked to me like they were away from the carrier (did TSN ever actually show either of them or did I miss something in the coverage). So their are positives.

For next week they have to get the run game going. This will suck up the Linebackers and maybe open more things up down field on first down.
    Edmonton had a slight edge in time of possession 30:21 to 29:39.

Both the D and O needed to be better.

vCash

I'm not even upset when we lose any more.

And Calgary fans don't even sell out any more.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

How do we even know if we have a deep threat when the Qb doesn't throw the ball over 6 yards very often?

I just looked at the game stats. When Adjei is your leading receiver, you will lose the game every time IMO. This isn't me ragging on Adjei, he's a perfectly fine complimentary receiver. But he should be your 4th receiver at best. The last resort guy. Harris targets him WAY too much. He's got 43 catches. He had 22 all of last year. He's probably going to end up with 60-70 catches. He's flat out not a good enough receiver to be seeing that many balls. But he's the guy who runs the short routes and Harris defers too.
    Agreed, and interestingly enough, Adjei plays the same position as Brad Sinopoli who lead the league in receptions last year but is not even close this season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I'm not even upset when we lose any more.

And Calgary fans don't even sell out any more.

Iíve been going to these games forever and I can say without a doubt that it is a classic in name only now.

The Esks fans donít go anymore. The Esks cheerleaders donít go anymore. The Esks players look defeated before the game even starts.

They would never say it but I think even a lot of Stamps fans are bored of the automatic Labour Day victory.

Why the other 6 teams are okay with Calgary, Sask and Hamilton having an annual guaranteed home win is beyond me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    We had 1 drive in the 3rd qtr.....
    That's total top dominance from Calgary

Our dline got owned....

Thst is as much as a shock to me today than the O woes... Our d looked overpowered

- - - Updated - - -

Just win will do..lol
    That one drive the Eskimos had in the third quarter took 7 minutes 33 seconds, or half the quarter. I don't know why Harris didn't just throw it to Daniels right at the LOS on the last second down of the drive, the coverage was ten yards away.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I’ve been going to these games forever and I can say without a doubt that it is a classic in name only now.

The Esks fans don’t go anymore. The Esks cheerleaders don’t go anymore. The Esks players look defeated before the game even starts.

They would never say it but I think even a lot of Stamps fans are bored of the automatic Labour Day victory.

Why the other 6 teams are okay with Calgary, Sask and Hamilton having an annual guaranteed home win is beyond me.
    What is it going to take at the CFL Board of Governers level to change this? The Esks, Bombers & Argos have to be very vocal & steadfast that this has to change next season.
    Hell, the Esks should deliberately schedule something (maybe a concert or a tractor pull) for the Friday & Saturday following LD so that Commonwealth is not available for the rematch game. That might force the CFL to make the necessary change....

This team has all the pieces, if they can figure out how to put it all together you could very well be right.

Just frustrating right now.

vCash

Adjei is decent rarely drops the ball but his job is pretty much as a safety valve underneath guy if they drop coverage back on the dangerous receivers. He's never going to run a post though and torch a secondary. Normally it's the rb that's the check down guy but often Gable stays in pass protection. So I agree with you you really need your american guys to be getting downfield and catching the 15-25 yard chunk plays. When your safety valve guy and kicker are having record years you can see what the issue is
    In Rod we trust

vCash

This was the most difficult loss of the season

All the other losses we outplayed the other team and had 150-200 more yards of
    Offense than the opponent and should/ could have won

We lost this game by 200 yards so didnít deserve to win

Frustrating that we lost the first game against Calgary because of a kickoff return for a TD that should
    Not have counted due to two blatant holds that made it impossible to make the tackle, thenhave this one have a TD taken back on a ticky tack call.

Money Hunter got beat by Bagelton several times

We need to put a better cover guy on him

Ellingson and Daniels are our best receivers we need to target them more

Not sure what went wrong but we got outplayed on both sides of the ball and both sides of the line

When will Draheim be back?

Ironic that Colquoun has been replaced by Glass since that what Arjen appears to be made of

We need at least one better receiver in the lineup . This group canít get open against a good defence

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    That one drive the Eskimos had in the third quarter took 7 minutes 33 seconds, or half the quarter. I don't know why Harris didn't just throw it to Daniels right at the LOS on the last second down of the drive, the coverage was ten yards away.
    Ya and Tevaun Smith was wide open ten yards past the first down marker

In the first game we lost to Calgary last month on the last play of the game Smith was also wide open in the end zone. Not sure why Harris doesn’t look to him ever

Pitfall Harry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

The league and TSN make such a big deal over the game it even has a corporate sponsor. The rematch doesn't have the same significance, doesn't fall on a long weekend, and doesn't receive the same buzz. Do a wiki search on the games and you'll see that the home team for the big three "classics" usually come away with the win. If the league and network are going to give it that much more significance, then it should alternate annually, or else be hosted by the team that won it the previous year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    This was the most difficult loss of the season

All the other losses we outplayed the other team and had 150-200 more yards of
    Offense than the opponent and should/ could have won

We lost this game by 200 yards so didn’t deserve to win

Frustrating that we lost the first game against Calgary because of a kickoff return for a TD that should
    Not have counted due to two blatant holds that made it impossible to make the tackle, thenhave this one have a TD taken back on a ticky tack call.

Money Hunter got beat by Bagelton several times

We need to put a better cover guy on him

Ellingson and Daniels are our best receivers we need to target them more

Not sure what went wrong but we got outplayed on both sides of the ball and both sides of the line

When will Draheim be back?

Ironic that Colquoun has been replaced by Glass since that what Arjen appears to be made of

We need at least one better receiver in the lineup . This group can’t get open against a good defence

- - - Updated - - -

Ya and Tevaun Smith was wide open ten yards past the first down marker

In the first game we lost to Calgary last month on the last play of the game Smith was also wide open in the end zone. Not sure why Harris doesn’t look to him ever
    FYI, Colqhoun was replaced at the corner by Josh Johnson.
    Agreed that Money Hunter is horrible in pass coverage & shouldn’t be in there. But when Hightower went down, Hunter was inserted into his place.

Pitfall Harry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    This team has all the pieces.
    Not sure the coaching staff does.

vCash

The Edmonton Eskimos are going to win the Grey Cup this year. Shove this quote down my throat at year end if necessary.
    I am with you on this one...

Love the staff I think we have the players.. It's about peaking at the right time..

We all go through our schedule pre season and say that's a. Win that's a loss, not sure on that.. Like me I'm sure most fans don't expect to win on labour day.. We just hope

Being a fan is tough... Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    Not sure the coaching staff does.
    Let's not forget this is year 1 for this staff.....

vCash

I'm starting to lose faith in Jason Maas, just as I started to around this point last season.

His red zone play calling is atrocious. That drive in the first half where we got down to inside the 10 yard line. 2nd and around 5, and he has 3 receivers to the wide side of the field (right) which included Ellingson and Daniels with the DB's back on their heels. And what does Harris do, it's an instant throw back to Adjei on the short side of the field at the first down marker and it was nearly picked by Roberson. That was clearly by design. Why are we designing plays to have our smallest, least athletic players to hopefully win one on one matchups? We need to get Kevin Elliott out there to replace Adjei and find a ratio switch somewhere. There's no way Adjei should be playing significant snaps on O.

Defensively, we couldn't get off blocks at the line of scrimmage. They were completely mauled by the Calgary offensive line. Hopefully we can get Hightower back on Saturday to replace Money Hunter, who is by far the weakest link in the secondary.

Special teams we continue to be a disgrace. Our special teams players are guys with next to no athleticism or size. Too many white dudes. Too many players with zero athleticism.
    Last edited by EsksTMac; 09-02-2019 at 11:39 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    I'm starting to lose faith in Jason Maas, just as I started to around this point last season.

His red zone play calling is atrocious. That drive in the first half where we got down to inside the 10 yard line. 2nd and around 5, and he has 3 receivers to the wide side of the field (right) which included Ellingson and Daniels with the DB's back on their heels. And what does Harris do, it's an instant throw back to Adjei on the short side of the field at the first down marker and it was nearly picked by Roberson. That was clearly by design. Why are we designing plays to have our smallest, least athletic players to hopefully win one on one matchups? We need to get Kevin Elliott out there to replace Adjei and find a ratio switch somewhere. There's no way Adjei should be playing significant snaps on O.

Defensively, we couldn't get off blocks at the line of scrimmage. They were completely mauled by the Calgary offensive line. Hopefully we can get Hightower back on Saturday to replace Money Hunter, who is by far the weakest link in the secondary.

Special teams we continue to be a disgrace. Our special teams players are guys with next to no athleticism or size. Too many white dudes. Too many players with zero athleticism.
    To many white dudes! Lmfao

vCash

The worst thing about watching the game on tv is you only see the 15 people in the box.. we never see the deep 3rd what defences are showing etc so it’s always to tough to see where a qb is reading from watching straight up tsn .. I’d love a all 24 type deal to watch the raw footage

Calgary’s defence are set up not to get beat deep.. I believe they lead the league with the least amount of explosions ( 30 plus ) conceded..
    that means we’re just not gonna go vertical on em because we’re gonna throw picks .. why would you blindly throw deep your not going to.

I’m also certain I heard we were 1st in the league for explosive plays over 30 yards before yesterday anyhow.. so the train of thought that we constantly throw a 2 yard hitch isn’t true.. it just feels like it..

Every concept has progressions and if a defence is taking something away they are giving you something else.. the key and why I hate when fans whine about dink and dunk is to stay patient and take what they give you... when they adjust to take that away you hit em over the top..

Yesterday was a bad day all round .. no one gets a pass..

I wanna see this team respond on saturday