Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

vCash

Re: Battle of Alberta - season starts on labour day

This is a big game (duh). If the Esks lose both, they are scrapping for 4th in the west. With Sask, beating Winnipeg and if they sweep, they will be scrapping for first. if Esks are swept would be a 3 way race for 1st without the Esks. If that happens and they finish 4th, then Mass might be fired at the end of the season if they can't beat the 3 teams not named lions.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

If the Eskimos lose both of these games against the Stampeder's they will be hard pressed to get a home playoff game or even a playoff spot in the Western Conference. If that happens, I am not sure Jason Maas survives the offseason. The Eskimos have not had a home playoff game since they won the cup back in 2015 and the one common theme is the head coach. Is that fair?? No it is not, but it is the nature of professional football.

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Reporter View Post
    If the Eskimos lose both of these games against the Stampeder's they will be hard pressed to get a home playoff game or even a playoff spot in the Western Conference. If that happens, I am not sure Jason Maas survives the offseason. The Eskimos have not had a home playoff game since they won the cup back in 2015 and the one common theme is the head coach. Is that fair?? No it is not, but it is the nature of professional football.
    Think making post season ball is the measuring stick for a hc not if it’s a home game or not.. that shouldn’t have an effect on how your judged.. all that is is money for the club and a game for the fans..

There is no way Jason should be fired after this year if anything I would wanna retain this staff for year 2-3 and see where we go...

Winnipeg have spent the last 3 years building for this year... u build to win... Winnipeg have kept all its coaches... why u wanna keep chopping and changing staff is beyond me... staff continuity is as big as player continuity imho

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Think making post season ball is the measuring stick for a hc not if it’s a home game or not.. that shouldn’t have an effect on how your judged.. all that is is money for the club and a game for the fans..

There is no way Jason should be fired after this year if anything I would wanna retain this staff for year 2-3 and see where we go...

Winnipeg have spent the last 3 years building for this year... u build to win... Winnipeg have kept all its coaches... why u wanna keep chopping and changing staff is beyond me... staff continuity is as big as player continuity imho
    I love the staff Jason has put together this year, the skies the limit if they can stick together for a few years. We have the best OC and the best DC in the league right now IMO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post

Counter point: staff continuity was the reason why they brought back Benevides and McDiarmid last year. And I can’t imagine anybody wanted them brought back this year.

I don’t think just making the playoffs should be the measuring stick for a head coach when 66% of the teams make the playoffs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Counter point: staff continuity was the reason why they brought back Benevides and McDiarmid last year. And I can’t imagine anybody wanted them brought back this year.

I don’t think just making the playoffs should be the measuring stick for a head coach when 66% of the teams make the playoffs.
    I look at competitiveness. Is your coach giving you a chance to win every game? With Maas I would argue yes he is, there arent a lot of games where we've gotten our butts handed to us, at least since hes been the coach.

It doesnt matter how good the coach is, if the media decides that he should go, the fans follow along and management makes a change.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

Valid point.. my original response was more aimed towards.. I like the make up of this current staff..,I love the defence.. I love our o.. I think our teams will improve.. I wanna see this groups stay together ..

It will benefit this club greatly

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I look at competitiveness. Is your coach giving you a chance to win every game? With Maas I would argue yes he is, there arent a lot of games where we've gotten our butts handed to us, at least since hes been the coach.

It doesnt matter how good the coach is, if the media decides that he should go, the fans follow along and management makes a change.

And now our dc just made us a top 3 team in the league...

I wanna see some longevity

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Arrived in Calgary today for the game tomorrow. Nervous but optimistic.

Will be a test of this coaching staff to see if they can out-scheme Calgary's staff.

While talented, Cgy's secondary is young and inexperienced in places and we have to find elements to exploit. Our offence played well in the last meeting once we started playing more aggressively in the second half, but struggled when we were very conservative early. Need to establish the run, but I am okay with doing that after we've softened them up with stretching the field a bit more first.

Need a big day from our special teams to ensure we don't lose that phase, and focus, focus, focus when we hit the red zone. We have remained our own biggest enemy but that should be fixable.
    On paper our roster is at least as good as theirs. Plus big improvement in our D scheming this year. Calgary likely tries to widen our Dline out a bit with a few sweeps from their receivers and then will try to punch the ball up the middle with Williams. & Carey. Likely try a long pass early on our safety also .

Williams always seems to give us trouble on special teams with good returns. We will be playing at a high tempo but still have to play smart. Don't get goaded into stupid retaliatory penalties like against Winnipeg. Save the trash talk until the end of the game when you can point at the scoreboard and say we whipped your butts in your house.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Half way through year four, I am looking for more than just competitiveness. The team should be at a place where they start to win big games against their divisional opponents...and that is not something that is happening. That being said, Maas and the Eskimos have two chances to prove they can do that. Does it have to happen today? No, but they absolutely cannot be swept by the Calgary Stampeder's these next two games.

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

vCash

Bazzie is the scratch
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Just win baby!!

vCash

The D needs a stop here.

vCash

Horrible start

vCash

Gotta be better on D than that ffs....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Gotta be better on D than that ffs....
    Was a bit lax... thankfully we held em to 3

vCash

Why a kick off?

vCash

Al Fatbury is the referee.....

vCash

What time is it there cmbuk?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Why a kick off?
    They still think that Jones is a decent returner I guess....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    What time is it there cmbuk?
    9:52 pm right now

vCash

Collins has to catch that one....

vCash

This LDC is starting out like the last few...

vCash

Oh FFS
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    This LDC is starting out like the last few...
    Every ****ing year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Collins has to catch that one....

Inexcusable

vCash

Early thoughts....

Must be nice having this game at home every year.

58 on Calgary had a ridiculous cut block on Boateng to the side of his knee that wasn't called and thankfully didn't result in anything.

The audible by Harris was the absolute right call but Beard completely whiffed on his block, that would have been a long run otherwise.

Collins has to catch that.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

How, in the name of Lucifer do they run downhill on us every game.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Defence looking like benes right know.. jeez

vCash

Two blatant hold missed on that run by Carey....

vCash

Same old-same old. No wonder Eskimo fans don’t travel to this game and fill their empty seats (there are a lot of empty seats in tiny McHole Stadium).

Receiver should have had that, then he tips it high so it can be intercepted.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Lucky to be only down 6 so far.
    #PizStrong