Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs. Stumps - The Rematch

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs. Stumps - The Rematch

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I agree totally.I think we should move on from Harris after this season and look for somebody new,Harris is to much of a dink and Dunk QB between the 20 yard lines and has great numbers but as soon as he gets in that red zone he is done,I would definately move on from Gable as well there has to be better RB out there.Is it me or has the defence gone downhill since we got Unamba and Orange back ? It seems like when we got them back it upset the chemistry of the defence and I'd definately let Santos Knox go as well as he has been injured all season and just cost us money even though not against the cap.All of our high priced FA we signed in the off season are over paid ,or not played and I think it's time to make wholesale changes this off season .This team has pissed me off so bad that the past 2 games I stopped watching by half time and went out to the park.Id move on from almost ALL of our FA signings this offseason what are everyone's thoughts?
    How are you going to move on from Harris when
    1. he signed a multi-year contract - which he also just re-structured to help out the team -
    2. there are slim pickings out there....unless the EE have someone in the pipeline that I’m not aware of..or maybe Briscoe will be that person but still a bit premature to count on that, no?

This is a make or break year in that the team is built to win now based on all the veteran (all-star) free agent signings. I also think that Jason isn’t as effective as a HC when he can’t be his emotional, fiery self (think Hugo alluded to that in another thread).

Brock has limited options in what he can do during the bye week given both the player & coaches/staff salary caps...and the number cap for the latter too (11). Player-wise there would need to be releases (or sudden 6-gamers). Coaching - possibly a positional coach (not sure who or why) but Jason will stay bc they would still be on the hook for his salary.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-08-2019 at 11:29 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    1. he signed a multi-year contract - which he also just re-structured to help out the team -
    2. there are slim pickings out there....unless the EE have someone in the pipeline that I’m not aware of..or maybe Briscoe will be that person but still a bit premature to count on that, no?

This is a make or break year in that the team is built to win now based on all the veteran (all-star) free agent signings. I also think that Jason isn’t as effective as a HC when he can’t be his emotional, fiery self (think Hugo alluded to that in another thread).

Brock has limited options in what he can do during the bye week given both the player & coaches/staff salary caps...and the number cap for the latter too (11). Player-wise there would need to be releases (or sudden 6-gamers). Coaching - possibly a positional coach (not sure who or why) but Jason will stay bc they would still be on the hook for his salary.
    Great post

vCash
    Blog Entries

2. there are slim pickings out there....unless the EE have someone in the pipeline that Iím not aware of..or maybe Briscoe will be that person but still a bit premature to count on that, no?

This is a make or break year in that the team is built to win now based on all the veteran (all-star) free agent signings. I also think that Jason isnít as effective as a HC when he canít be his emotional, fiery self (think Hugo alluded to that in another thread).

Harris signed a 2 year contract as a FA and in the CFL the contracts aren't gaurunteed so you could release Harris and not be on the hook.Id seriously look at bringing back Franklin as he seemed to love Edmonton and felt and looked good in our system just my thoughts

vCash

The better team won again and I am not surprised. When we did the preseason predictions, I predicted the Esks would be 4th and I was right on the money.

I don't agree with some people saying move on from Harris. The reason I say that has nothing to do with believing in Harris, it as everything to do with there being no other good options IMO. I said it during the offseason. IMO there are 2 elite QB'a in the league - Mitchell and Reilly. Mitchell after barely playing for most of the year came back and beat the hell out of the Esks 2 straight games. I still think Reilly is elite but the Oline is so lousy in BC he can't do anything. When the Esks had Reilly, they had a punchers chance of beating the Stamps and Mitchell. Without him, they don't have a chance. I group Harris into a next group of good QB's but not great. So IMO, the Esks are stuck with him.

I am not surprised that the Esks are where they are with this team. It's the Ottawa Eskimos. The GM is from Ottawa and over the last couple of seasons, he's brought in a lot of Ottawa guys. Guys he would have scouted, recruited and helped sign when he was in Ottawa. Prior to this season, Ottawa was always a decent team not a great team. The East was a weak division for many years and they beat up on that team. As soon as they played a West team, it was a mixed bag for them. Last year they were 11-7, no other team was .500. They were 8-9 in 2017, 8-9 in 2016, won the cup which was lead by Burris and they had no business winning that over the Stamps, the Stamps pissed that game away. If you look at Harris's win loss record before coming to Edmonton, it wasn't that good. This season, the Esks has 6-6 and they haven't beat a single decent team. They beat Montreal the first game, barely beat them and Montreal was a gong show at the start. As soon as Montreal got their coaches figured out and got their game figured out, they handled the Esks easily in the second game. They have beat Ottawa once early and they barely won and should have lost if Ottawa had a QB. Ottawa has 3 wins. They beat Toronto twice, Toronto looks better now but they were brutal for the first half of the season. Toronto has 2 wins. They beat BC twice and BC doesn't have an Oline. The Esks sacked Reilly 12 times in 2 games and hit/pressured him at least twice as many more times. BC has 1 win. So out of the 5 of the 6 wins they have, the combined current record of BC, Ott & Tor is 5- 27. If you add Montreal into the mix, it's 11-31 because Montreal is 6-4. The Esks got their ass kicked by Calgary 2 straight and they couldn't beat Winnipeg in Edmonton when Winnipeg didn't have their starter and their Qb passed for 89 yards.

Could part of the Esks problems be coaching? Sure it is but it's also the make up of the team. Last year the Esks offence was explosive but their Oline wasn't that great and their defence sucked. So this offseason Sunderland went out and did help the Oline but he got hurt, not his fault but in general the Oline has been decent. But he spent BIG on defence. He arguably went out and signed some of the biggest available defensive guys he could. He got Dean one of the best linebackers available. Orange one of the best corners available. Unamba, one of the best SAM's available and went out and got Knox who was one of the best WIL's available. Knox hasn't played a down yet. But on offence, they lost Willams, the best big play receiver in the CFL last year to the NFL. They lost Mitchell, a really good receiver to the NFL and they lost Walker to free agency. So they have ZERO big play receivers IMO. Ellingston is a really good receiver but I wouldn't call him a big play guy. He's a hands, possession type of receiver. A big play guys is when the QB throws up the ball expecting the receiver to come down with it. People have talked to me about Knox not counting against the cap because of the injury. That is true BUT I am sure to get him, it wasn't cheap in the offseason. So they signed a linebacker who hasn't played a down and who quite frankly wasn't needed and that took money away from keeping Walker who is probably the best receiver in the CFL. He was an Eskimo and they let him WALK.

Lost of blame to go around but this team is flat out not good enough in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 09-09-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Harris signed a 2 year contract as a FA and in the CFL the contracts aren't gaurunteed so you could release Harris and not be on the hook.Id seriously look at bringing back Franklin as he seemed to love Edmonton and felt and looked good in our system just my thoughts
    Except that he (Harris) restructured his contract to help out this year which means that there is likely guaranteed money going to him at some point between the end of the 2019 season & the beginning of the 2020 season.

How would that work for Brockís currency & credibility as a relatively new GM if he cuts Harris? Heís already not done himself any favours by not being able to manage the cap. (Thatís not me being a hater, thatís just facts.)

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I see you insult people who don’t believe Maas has shown enough to keep his job but I never see you give any reasons why he has earned the right to keep his job.

This is his 4th season. He has had Reilly for 3 and Harris for 1. He has never had to coach a team with a Collaros or a Jennings or some other mediocre qb.

Yet his best finish is 3rd in the division. His others are likely 2 crossovers and a missed playoffs.
    It's not that everybody who wants the coach fired is an uneducated fan, but the vast majority of uneducated fans will call for the coaches head, (team lost=me angry=coach sux) is a common line of thinking with the people that have no idea what the potential ramifications of starting from scratch with a new coach are. The reality is, even the most appealing candidates (and I'm not sure I see any out there right now) have a very real chance of falling flat on their faces (Claybrooks), and even if they're decent, there are likely going to be a fair share of rookie HC growing pains in the best case scenario. Steinauer and Dave Dickinson are guys that have managed to avoid that trap but mainly because they were brought along properly and slowly phased into their current positions by good mentors, while O'Shea on the other hand was thrown into the fire relatively early like Maas was and is now considered one of the best HC's in the league despite a few rough years early on.

As for the reasons why I don't think firing him is the answer to all of our problems? Well I've stated them many times already but here are some of them again:

-He's a smart guy. His wonderlic test score was 43, one of the highest scores ever recorded in the NFL, the average score is 23 out of 50. That means he did better than any other player turned HC in our league, and 10 points higher than Tom Brady, who many regard as being a highly intelligent QB.

-He knows QB's. Despite the offensive struggles we've seen lately he has consistently gotten the most out of every QB he's coached over the last eight years, the numbers don't lie.

-He's a hard worker. Work ethic is something Jason is known for if you ask anyone that's worked with him, I've heard him described as a 'football junkie', and if you listen to him speak it is very apparent how much thought he puts into every decision that he makes and how meticulous he is about it.

-He's a leader. Listen to the way coach Gass and coach Tucker speak about his ability to inspire the people around him, a few weeks back they talked on Morley Scotts podcast about how they knew Jason was going to be a HC in this league back when they were playing together. Lolly spoke very highly of Jason's passion for football, and the energy he brings, and how that excited him and made him want to come back here (he tried to in 2018 but Hamilton blocked him). Even Beneviedes hasn't been shy about shamelessly plugging the the Esks and Jason whenever he's been on the TSN panel. I loved hearing Maas on the live mic last week talking to Gass about potentially taking the ball at the 35 because he believed that his offence would get them out of the hole. His belief in his guys is unquestioned, and that empowers guys to go out and play their best football.

-He bleeds green and gold. There isn't a coach out there anywhere in the world who wants to win a Grey Cup for the city of Edmonton more than Jason Maas does and I can guarantee you that.

-He's kept the team competitive through tons of turmoil. Think about everything this organization has gone through since he's been hired, despite all the drama and all the changes he's always managed to put a team on the field that has had a chance to win on any given day (have we been blown out under his watch?). Yes, it's frustrating that the team hasn't been able to take the next step, but we're competing in a division where the top teams have had their GM, HC, and QB all in tact for five plus years. IMO the staff Jason put together this year, is the best one he's had since becoming a HC and if they can stay together for a few years, and keep building on top of what was started this year when Brock tore this roster down to the studs and began to rebuild it, then there's no reason we can't look like Winnipeg does right now in 2020 or 2021.

So we can throw all that away for some mysterious super coach that doesn't exist, or we can have patience, keeping in mind that coaches are people too, and that they learn and grow like the rest of us, and to me, I see too many positives with Jason to think that he's not gonna continue to develop into a top tier HC one day, I just hope that he's still here when he does.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 09-08-2019 at 01:48 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    It's not that everybody who wants the coach fired is an uneducated fan, but the vast majority of uneducated fans will call for the coaches head, (team lost=me angry=coach sux) is a common line of thinking with the people that have no idea what the potential ramifications of starting from scratch with a new coach are. The reality is, even the most appealing candidates (and I'm not sure I see any out there right now) have a very real chance of falling flat on their faces (Claybrooks), and even if they're decent, there are likely going to be a fair share of rookie HC growing pains in the best case scenario. Steinauer and Dave Dickinson are guys that have managed to avoid that trap but mainly because they were brought along properly and slowly phased into their current positions by good mentors, while O'Shea on the other hand was thrown into the fire relatively early like Maas was and is now considered one of the best HC's in the league despite a few rough years early on.

As for the reasons why I don't think firing him is the answer to all of our problems? Well I've stated them many times already but here are some of them again:

-He's a smart guy. His wonderlic test score was 43, one of the highest scores ever recorded in the NFL, the average score is 23 out of 50. That means he did better than any other player turned HC in our league, and 10 points higher than Tom Brady, who many regard as being a highly intelligent QB.

-He knows QB's. Despite the offensive struggles we've seen lately he has consistently gotten the most out of every QB he's coached over the last eight years, the numbers don't lie.

-He's a hard worker. Work ethic is something Jason is known for if you ask anyone that's worked with him, I've heard him described as a 'football junkie', and if you listen to him speak it is very apparent how much thought he puts into every decision that he makes and how meticulous he is about it.

-He's a leader. Listen to the way coach Gass and coach Tucker speak about his ability to inspire the people around him, a few weeks back they talked on Morley Scotts podcast about how they new Jason was going to be a HC in this league back when they were playing together. Lolly spoke very highly of Jason's passion for football, and the energy he brings, and how that excited him and made him want to come back here (he tried to in 2018 but Hamilton blocked him). Even Beneviedes hasn't been shy about shamelessly plugging the the Esks and Jason whenever he's been on the panel. I loved hearing Maas on the live mic last week talking to Gass about potentially taking the ball at the 35 because he believed that his offence would get them out of the hole. His belief in his guys is unquestioned, and that empowers guys to go out and play their best football.

-He bleeds green and gold. There isn't a coach out there anywhere in the world who wants to win a Grey Cup for the city of Edmonton more than Jason Maas does and I can guarantee you that.

-He's kept the team competitive through tons of turmoil. Think about everything this organization has gone through since he's been hired, despite all the drama and all the changes he's always managed to put a team on the field that has had a chance to win on any given day (have we been blown out under his watch). Yes, it's frustrating that the team hasn't been able to take the next step, but we're competing in a division where the top teams have had their GM, HC, and QB all in tact for five plus years. IMO the staff Jason put together this year, is the best one he's had since becoming a HC and if they can stay together for a few years, and keep building on top of what was started this year when Brock tore this roster down to the studs and began to rebuild it, then there's no reason we can't look like Winnipeg does right now in 2020 or 2021.

So we can throw all that away for some mysterious super coach that doesn't exist, or we can have patience, keeping in mind that coaches are people too, and that they learn and grow like the rest of us, and to me, I see too many positives with Jason to think that he's not gonna continue to develop into a top tier HC one day, I just hope that he's still here when he does.
    Solid post dude!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    That is about as black and white as it gets....don't touch a QB below the knee.
    It is not touching a QB at or below his knees if is "All rushing defenders must attempt to avoid forcibly hitting a passer in the pocket, at or below the knees, either if their path to the passer was unrestricted, or if they are coming off a blocker..."

Watching the replay it appears that Moore's contact with the quarterback started above the knees, the top of his helmet can be seen just slightly below Mitchell's waste at the time contact started.

vCash

-He's a leader. Listen to the way coach Gass and coach Tucker speak about his ability to inspire the people around him, a few weeks back they talked on Morley Scotts podcast about how they knew Jason was going to be a HC in this league back when they were playing together. Lolly spoke very highly of Jason's passion for football, and the energy he brings, and how that excited him and made him want to come back here (he tried to in 2018 but Hamilton blocked him). Even Beneviedes hasn't been shy about shamelessly plugging the the Esks and Jason whenever he's been on the TSN panel. I loved hearing Maas on the live mic last week talking to Gass about potentially taking the ball at the 35 because he believed that his offence would get them out of the hole. His belief in his guys is unquestioned, and that empowers guys to go out and play their best football.

-He's kept the team competitive through tons of turmoil. Think about everything this organization has gone through since he's been hired, despite all the drama and all the changes he's always managed to put a team on the field that has had a chance to win on any given day (have we been blown out under his watch?). Yes, it's frustrating that the team hasn't been able to take the next step, but we're competing in a division where the top teams have had their GM, HC, and QB all in tact for five plus years. IMO the staff Jason put together this year, is the best one he's had since becoming a HC and if they can stay together for a few years, and keep building on top of what was started this year when Brock tore this roster down to the studs and began to rebuild it, then there's no reason we can't look like Winnipeg does right now in 2020 or 2021.

Jason Maas, beloved former EE QB, with substantive successful coaching record (most agree could have used a couple more years as understudy) becomes HC in 2016. This is after Riders rob us of Grey Cup winning Chris Jones and his assistants.

2016. Fourth place in West, get crossover playoff to East but lose badly in Eastern Final.

2017. Third place in West, blow Divisional Final.

2018. Fifth place in West, miss playoffs.

2019. Looking like Fourth Place in West with probable crossover to East for playoffs; but Eastern playoff teams looking tough.

Does if really matter what colour Jason is bleeding.
    Coaching a tough brutal profession for most.
    Sure, let’s finish out the year and see what happens. But poor showing in Eastern playoffs ... let’s chat then.

vCash

Very insightful post. As a fan(s) we only see whats on TV,and periodic heresay, not necessarily the behind the scenes. How Maas operates, how players operate,,.....etc etc...im a diehard schmoos fan and will never give up on them, as we've been blessed with great teams/championships... and will continue to do so... you are correct the top tier teams have gone through growing pains and proper development............. goesksgo

vCash

Took the words outta my mouth man.

Great post.

This is what all the folk on FB commenting need to maybe understand. But they're too ignorant to read any such length cause all they read is headlines.

vCash

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but in an interview with Kilgore today he stated that Harris "has been dealing with this for a few weeks," which leads me to believe he's talking about the hand injury. This would certainly explain the dink and dunk offence we've witnessed recently. He simply may not be able to throw deep until he heals. The bye week comes at a good time.
    @chadganske

vCash

Except that he (Harris) restructured his contract to help out this year which means that there is likely guaranteed money going to him at some point between the end of the 2019 season & the beginning of the 2020 season.

How would that work for Brock’s currency & credibility as a relatively new GM if he cuts Harris? He’s already not done himself any favours by not being able to manage the cap. (That’s not me being a hater, that’s just facts.)
    How do you know that he’s “not being able to manage the cap”? Where’s your proof?
    In his previous seasons here, he must have been ok with the cap or the team would have been fined....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    How do you know that he’s “not being able to manage the cap”? Where’s your proof?
    In his previous seasons here, he must have been ok with the cap or the team would have been fined....
    Talking about 2019, not previous seasons. It’s not really a secret. They’re already up against the cap enough that there’s been contract restructuring before Labour Day - and that’s with Santos-Knox & SirVincent basically being in 6-game all season.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-08-2019 at 08:04 PM.

vCash

Talking about 2019, not previous seasons. It’s not really a secret.
    Not a secret? I’ve not read or listened to anything that indicates that he’s over the cap.
    That’s usually not determined until after the season is over& the #’s are crunched....

vCash

Not a secret? I’ve not read or listened to anything that indicates that he’s over the cap.
    That’s usually not determined until after the season is over& the #’s are crunched....
    You’re right. In the end, it’s all determined at the end of the season. However, there’s an overall pot of money & you usually have an idea of where you should be at specific points in the season.

Anyways, this wasn’t supposed to become “a thing.” We can agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-08-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling, the usual

vCash

It’s not a secret if u have any kind of insight,

Joe public ( I’m not ref you, just eskimo fans not on this site is my guess ) prob doesn’t know or realistically care about the cap.. u go read some of he posts on the the eskimos app during a game or post game loss... it’s tough reading...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Exactly.. I’m certainly not throwing maas under the bus

And even if we were I want to see some names of quality candidates and then Oc candidates. Because there ain’t many out there...

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on... as we have all said before this is year 1 for this staff and players.... u are gonna get bumps oin the road.. u keep rubbing out and starting over

And I’ll bet money we fired maas he wouldn’t be out of work very long..
    Not saying I would get rid of JM but to answer your question Paul LaPolice would be the first candidate that comes to mind.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    YAY Crossover!
    Then I may actually get to a playoff game if it's in Montreal. But then again, it's sucks there when you lose. The July game was evidence of that.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Well folks, the verdict is in.

The Eskimos are salmon.

Their record against the minnows of the league (TO, BC, Ott): 5-0 (with a squeaker against Ott).

Their record against the sharks (Wpg, Cgy, Sask, Ham, Mtl): 1-6 (and that win was against Mtl with Pipkin, not Adams).
    That's hardly a fair comparison including Sask and Ham in there as saying we haven't beaten either team. We haven't LOST to either of those two teams either.

We split with Montreal, and we have only lost to two other teams: Calgary and Winnipeg, who most people on THIS site said would finish ahead of us during pre-season predictions.

We are right where we thought we would be 3 months ago. I still say we'll be 10-8 at the end of this year. I predicted 12-6, figuring we might split with Winnipeg and perhaps steal a win vs Calgary, but otherwise we're pretty close to where we were predicted to be.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Then I may actually get to a playoff game if it's in Montreal. But then again, it's sucks there when you lose. The July game was evidence of that.
    A little off topic but have you been to a game in Montreal this year? I ask because the atmosphere there looks like it’d be a blast from just watching on TV, that teams got a bit of a swagger right now and it’s fun to watch.

vCash

2. there are slim pickings out there....unless the EE have someone in the pipeline that Iím not aware of..or maybe Briscoe will be that person but still a bit premature to count on that, no?

This is a make or break year in that the team is built to win now based on all the veteran (all-star) free agent signings. I also think that Jason isnít as effective as a HC when he canít be his emotional, fiery self (think Hugo alluded to that in another thread).

I believe that there is a proviso that says one coaches' salary every 5 years can be not counted against the cap if that coach is released. Only really going to use it for HCs given how the salary scale goes, but it IS possible to move on from Maas and not be hamstrung, I suppose.... unless the replacement is even bigger of a disaster.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

A little off topic but have you been to a game in Montreal this year? I ask because the atmosphere there looks like it’d be a blast from just watching on TV, that teams got a bit of a swagger right now and it’s fun to watch.
    I went to the July game this year. The Alouettes were just starting to get back on track then. I think that was the game that started it all. The fans were a bit sparse and it was hotter than Trumps Twitter temper there with an on field temp of around 40C + humidity. The vibe was not there yet. I also went to the game in 2017 in what could only be described as the monsoon bowl.

So both times were not conducive to a party atmosphere but I've heard it's fun there. The stadium is archaic and there is only one exit so there are bottlenecks getting in an out.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    That's hardly a fair comparison including Sask and Ham in there as saying we haven't beaten either team. We haven't LOST to either of those two teams either.

We split with Montreal, and we have only lost to two other teams: Calgary and Winnipeg, who most people on THIS site said would finish ahead of us during pre-season predictions.

We are right where we thought we would be 3 months ago. I still say we'll be 10-8 at the end of this year. I predicted 12-6, figuring we might split with Winnipeg and perhaps steal a win vs Calgary, but otherwise we're pretty close to where we were predicted to be.
    I think it's totally fair. I just grouped the other eight teams as they group naturally: the teams with four or fewer losses, and the teams with eight or more losses. Hamilton's 5-1 against the west and is the top team in the league. Sask is 7-4 and 1.5 games ahead of us. We're clearly significant underdogs against both right now.

The "split" against Montreal is simply because we beat them in week 1 versus Pipkin just after coach Sherman abruptly disappeared, and before the emergence of Vernon Adams.

Seems clear we're heading for around 8-10. I hope I'm wrong.

If you think we'll hit 10-8, who are the four teams we'll beat in the last six games, and why do you think we'll win? I really hope you can convince me.
    Last edited by glenvb; 09-09-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I think it's totally fair. I just grouped the other eight teams as they group naturally: the teams with four or fewer losses, and the teams with eight or more losses. Hamilton's 5-1 against the west and is the top team in the league. Sask is 7-4 and 1.5 games ahead of us. We're clearly significant underdogs against both right now.

The "split" against Montreal is simply because we beat them in week 1 versus Pipkin just after coach Sherman abruptly disappeared, and before the emergence of Vernon Adams.

If you think we'll hit 10-8, who are the four teams we'll beat in the last six games, and why do you think we'll win? I really hope you can convince me.
    I'm with you glen. Nothing from this team's performance is convincing me we go 4-2 down the stretch here.

vCash

I think we both agree that the BC and Ottawa games are winnable. The place we are different would be the two games vs Hamilton and two games vs Sask, yes?

If we can get SirVincent Rogers back to stabilize that OL, and put MOD back at RG, that brings us back to the OL during the games where our line was more dominant, except we have SirV at LT instead of Draheim. As much as I've been impressed by Tommie there, you have to think SirV is an upgrade yes? We also had a MUCH better run game with MOD at RG, which should open more holes for Gable or Cooper or whomever.

As for defense, I'm hoping that we can see Hightower and Santos-Knox slot in sooner than later. If that can happen, that drastically improves our secondary as well as our run stopping, as that was JSK's specialty.

Given those things, which many are saying are realistic after the bye week, I believe we can split the two series with Saskatchewan and Hamilton, giving us a 10-8 record.

Lots of suppositions in there, but we shall likely start seeing who may return within a week or two, and then this team is much stronger. I don't believe Sask is as good as either Calgary nor Winnipeg right now, and the same with Hamilton as they all are right now. That's why I believe we can go 4-2.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

The Eskimos will win their remaining home games and they will win in Otawa. That's four games right there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    The Eskimos will win their remaining home games and they will win in Otawa. That's four games right there.
    I would go with that..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Lots of suppositions in there, but we shall likely start seeing who may return within a week or two, and then this team is much stronger. I don't believe Sask is as good as either Calgary nor Winnipeg right now, and the same with Hamilton as they all are right now. That's why I believe we can go 4-2.
    I appreciate the positives, but those are a lot of suppositions, and hopes that substitutions and new players make a difference for us...basically, that things all fall into place for us, and not for our opponents. (That's including Trevor Harris returning quickly.)

I think people are underestimating Hamilton and Saskatchewan. They've earned their records. As I said, Hamilton is 5-1 vs the west, and since Sask stabilized with Fajardo coming out of nowhere, they've had one of the best offenses to go with a strong defense. I know they got bombed in the Banjo Bowl, but that's the back end of a rivalry double-header and they won the previous six.

And, while the BC and Ott games are winnable, they are not sure things. I wouldn't be shocked if we dropped one of those. Ottawa will be playing for their playoff lives in a 4-pointer with us, and BC has shown a few signs of life.

Maybe we can go 4-2, if all goes well. Maybe we'll go 1-5, if things go badly. The consistency of the team so far suggests 2-4.

I still hope you're right and I'm wrong, Mike!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I think a lot of what happens in the back third of the season will largely depend on the health of Trevor Harris. Hopefully the bye week is all he needs to be throwing at 100% again.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie