Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    So, let me get this right.

* Top-ranked western team in this qualifier round.
    * Playing against the lowest ranked team in this round.
    * Best player in the world on your roster.
    * Second-best player in the world on your roster.
    * All five games scheduled for your home rink.

You muster one win in four games, and are eliminated.

An embarrassment.
    Disgusting. And in a city hammered by a pandemic and an oil crash. A city that really needed a boost.

That crap organization will never, EVER get a dime of my money.

And Tippett? Bafflingly stupid this series. Let's wait until 7 minutes left in an elimination game to reunite the best line in hockey. Let's start the lesser of the two goalies in game 1. Stubbornly unwilling to adjust.

vCash

"Must be something in the water."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    They need to get #97 on IT support ASAP!
    Should have turned him off and back on again.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Anyone watching right now? Jackets-Lightning entering the FIFTH overtime...
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Anyone watching right now? Jackets-Lightning entering the FIFTH overtime...
    Yeah, that was a fun one to watch.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

vCash

I guess this is gonna be the only football we see at CW this year.

vCash

What's worse: The Oilers not making the playoffs or the Flames epic collapse? I gotta think that choke job has to sting more. Good on them!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    What's worse: The Oilers not making the playoffs or the Flames epic collapse? I gotta think that choke job has to sting more. Good on them!
    They are both pretty bad.

Yesterday is more devastating in the minute, but I think the Oiler's missing out due to randomness of the return to play format only to give teams like Chicago and Arizona a chance to be humiliated once teams got to their actual typical play level in the first round will sting more long term.

vCash

I've read this morning that the Flames' collapse might push forward a rebuilding of their team. Could be a very different team a few months from now.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    They are both pretty bad.

Yesterday is more devastating in the minute, but I think the Oiler's missing out due to randomness of the return to play format only to give teams like Chicago and Arizona a chance to be humiliated once teams got to their actual typical play level in the first round will sting more long term.
    The Oilers mailing it in on their own ice when they have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins is worse. By far.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The Oilers mailing it in on their own ice when they have McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins is worse. By far.
    Absolutely.

vCash

Absolutely. I just don't feel they completely mailed it in. Outside the first thirty minutes of the series, Edmonton had the better of the play, but almost every Chicago chance got bungled and most ended up in the net.

I also think the format of jumping into a playoff like scenario after four months introduced extra randomness into the mix where they weren't fully clicking yet which may explain some of bungled defensive play, and subpar goaltending. I fully suspect with 3 or 4 games under their belt before that series, the result would have been different. That's why we saw the top four seeds generally make fairly quick work of the teams that got into the playoffs as the underdog in their playin series.

vCash

Absolutely. I just don't feel they completely mailed it in. Outside the first thirty minutes of the series, Edmonton had the better of the play, but almost every Chicago chance got bungled and most ended up in the net.

I also think the format of jumping into a playoff like scenario after four months introduced extra randomness into the mix where they weren't fully clicking yet which may explain some of bungled defensive play, and subpar goaltending. I fully suspect with 3 or 4 games under their belt before that series, the result would have been different. That's why we saw the top four seeds generally make fairly quick work of the teams that got into the playoffs as the underdog in their playin series.
    Both teams were in the same boat, mate. While I saw effort from 97, 29 and 93, I saw a total lack of emotion and passion from most other players. And one of the worst mail-in efforts came from Tippett.

vCash

Both teams were in the same boat, mate. While I saw effort from 97, 29 and 93, I saw a total lack of emotion and passion from most other players. And one of the worst mail-in efforts came from Tippett.
    Sure both team were in the same boat, I just feel that equalized things between them which allowed for some more randomness to the result. That's also why Chicago and Arizona were gopher sized speed bumps for Vegas and Colorado in the actual playoffs once teams had a few games under their belts.

However, I'm 100% with you on the idea that the one who mailed it in the most was certainly Tippett. It's like he went in with only one plan and couldn't figure out any way to adjust. That can't be blamed on the format at all as he had more than 2 months to gameplan a strategy to beat the Hawks in a five game series.
    Last edited by bone; 08-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.

vCash

Congrats to Leon Draisaitl on winning the 2020 Hart Trophy for Most Valuable Player.

vCash

The Oilers have been in the league for 40 years. In that time, they've had the Art Ross winner on their team 10 times, and the Hart winner 11 times. We've had some crappy teams over the past 20 years, but we've been very fortunate to have some amazing players.
    Last edited by nafnikufesin; 09-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.

vCash

Happy to see Leon win because I really did think he was gonna get the screwjob. Well deserving to 29!

As for the Oilers moving forward....not impressed at all that Nicholson came out and said they weren't doing anything more than tinkering. Nothing like laying your cards for the world to see.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    The Oilers have been in the league for 40 years. In that time, they've had the Art Ross winner on their team 10 times, and the Hart winner 11 times. We've had some crappy teams over the past 20 years, but we've been very fortunate to have some amazing players.
    Another fun fact is that another 3 Hart trophies and 2 Art Rosses were won within 2 years of a player being traded from Edmonton, so in some ways it's 14 Hart trophies and 12 Art Rosses came through Edmonton.

Edmonton has had 5 different Hart Trophy winners who started their NHL careers with Edmonton. I think only Montreal and Boston have had more.
    Last edited by bone; 09-23-2020 at 11:35 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Happy to see Leon win because I really did think he was gonna get the screwjob. Well deserving to 29!

As for the Oilers moving forward....not impressed at all that Nicholson came out and said they weren't doing anything more than tinkering. Nothing like laying your cards for the world to see.
    Unless that is to improve their position in negotiations with teams or players. That said, I doubt Nicholson has a strategic motive behind any of his public declarations.

vCash

Unless that is to improve their position in negotiations with teams or players. That said, I doubt Nicholson has a strategic motive behind any of his public declarations.
    This is true. Don't sound desperate, otherwise any negotiation is automatically started from a position of weakness. I, too, doubt Bobby is thinking that far ahead.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Saw Katz in the paper this morning. Holy crap, that dude has too much money to have a ridiculous haircut like that...
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

How many of you out there remember the California (Golden) Seals?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    How many of you out there remember the California (Golden) Seals?

Love that look. I remember when they left Oakland to become the Cleveland Barons in the mid-70s too, along with the Kansas City Scouts moving to become the Colorado Rockies the same year (I think?). THe NHL landscape has changed a ton since those days for sure.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.