Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Anyone watching the classic NHL on Sportsnet or TSN? They played a few games from the Grezky era. Nice refreshing of memories for me.

What I'd really like to know is if anyone has watched them for the first time? If so, what do you think?

My first thought is how restrictive the clutching and grabbing was.

vCash

I've been watching too. Noticed especially how much the goaltending position has changed. Their bodies/equipment covered so much less of the net then than they do now, with the bulkier pads.

Also, my goodness, the violence that they would let go. Billy Smith would be in a jail cell somewhere if he acted like that today.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I've been watching too. Noticed especially how much the goaltending position has changed. Their bodies/equipment covered so much less of the net then than they do now, with the bulkier pads.

Also, my goodness, the violence that they would let go. Billy Smith would be in a jail cell somewhere if he acted like that today.
    Check out Maurice Richard some day... Not many players would still be in the league after slashing a player in the head and then punching the linesman who came in to intervene between the two.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Check out Maurice Richard some day... Not many players would still be in the league after slashing a player in the head and then punching the linesman who came in to intervene between the two.
    Ted Green and Wayne Maki was another bad one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Ted Green and Wayne Maki was another bad one.
    Eddie Shore and Ace Bailey!
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Eddie Shore and Ace Bailey!
    That one was even before my time.

vCash

That one was even before my time.
    haha yes, not many of us were around in 1933! But I've certainly read enough about that altercation and the Ace Bailey benefit game that came out of it. I was always fascinated with stories of Eddie Shore after I found out he played for the Edmonton Eskimos hockey team in 1926.
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

haha yes, not many of us were around in 1933! But I've certainly read enough about that altercation and the Ace Bailey benefit game that came out of it. I was always fascinated with stories of Eddie Shore after I found out he played for the Edmonton Eskimos hockey team in 1926.
    Oh, 1933, I was thinking 1833 . I remember reading about Shore when he was coaching didn't like his goalie flopping so he tied him to the crossbar with rope in practices.

vCash

Oh, 1933, I was thinking 1833 . I remember reading about Shore when he was coaching didn't like his goalie flopping so he tied him to the crossbar with rope in practices.
    That wouldn't surprise me at all!

Here's a great shot of 4 of the Edmonton Eskimos hockey players from March 1926, two of which are in the Hockey Hall of Fame*:

L-R Eddie Shore*, Art Gagne, Herb Stuart, Duke Keats*

Shore's nickname for a while was "The Edmonton Express", even after he had joined the Bruins
    #PizStrong

@EsksHistory

vCash

Sounds like some players aren't happy with this proposal. This isn't getting solved any time soon as we were supposed to hear something about the draft earl this week and so far it's been quiet.

vCash

This was a lot of fun to revisit. Curtis Lazar played well alongside McDavid. I've often wondered if he'd be worth signing as a FA? He's unrestricted and only made 700k with Buffalo this season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

Curious peoples thoughts on the 24 team playoff...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Curious peoples thoughts on the 24 team playoff...
    I donít mind the 24 teams, but itís the format that bothers me. Montreal and Chicago had 1% chances of making the playoffs but now just need to win a best of 5 to get in. Pittsburgh and Edmonton were both over 90% to make it but can now miss by just losing a best of 5. It also still hasnít been clarified if a play-in loser is a lottery team or not.

The only 24 team proposal I liked was the 4 hubs of 6 teams (top 5 in division plus 2 wildcards) who played a round robin. The results of the round robin get added to the records at the time of the seasons suspension, and then point percentage is used to get the top 4 for each hub who advance to the playoffs. This would maintain the integrity of the 85% of the season which had been completed, which imo doesnít happened in the approved proposal. Teams like Montreal and Chicago would still be massive long shots to make the playoffs, as they were if the season hadnít been suspended.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I don’t mind the 24 teams, but it’s the format that bothers me. Montreal and Chicago had 1% chances of making the playoffs but now just need to win a best of 5 to get in. Pittsburgh and Edmonton were both over 90% to make it but can now miss by just losing a best of 5. It also still hasn’t been clarified if a play-in loser is a lottery team or not.

The only 24 team proposal I liked was the 4 hubs of 6 teams (top 5 in division plus 2 wildcards) who played a round robin. The results of the round robin get added to the records at the time of the seasons suspension, and then point percentage is used to get the top 4 for each hub who advance to the playoffs. This would maintain the integrity of the 85% of the season which had been completed, which imo doesn’t happened in the approved proposal.
    Same here. I'd have prefered a 20 team proposal as the 2 of the 24 were already virtually eliminated and the other two had a very slim chance of making it. As such this format penalizes a few teams that had much better season to accomodate 2 teams that had little chance and 2 more that had no chance, in particular Edmonton is hit badly by it and even moreso Pittsburgh.

That said, I would have been much more comfortable with a 24 format that made those teams with a small chance go on a tear in a round robin scenario to get in and the teams that were pretty much locked and loaded would really have had to crap the bed to miss.

That would have been fair to me.

The one thing I haven't seen addressed anywhere now that there is 12 teams in a hub, is what are they going to do about overtime. This format requires at least two games a day in each hub until the final 8. How can you schedule two games in a day when its possible one game could go 6+ hours. So are they considering 3 on 3 or shootouts? Nothing would piss me off more than to see Edmonton knocked out of the playoffs due to some Toews shootout magic.
    Last edited by bone; 05-25-2020 at 04:40 PM.

vCash

Never even thought about the OT situation. My guess is they do one period of traditional OT, followed by 3 on 3, then a shootout. Would have to think the chances of getting to a shootout would be pretty slim if they did that. But I guess that could still mess with scheduling games.

I’m not an asterisk guy so I’ve just come to terms that this years playoffs will be different if they occur. I wouldn’t call winning this year an illegitimate win, just a different one. Much like the lockout year the Hawks won where they only played a half season.

I do much prefer handicapping the Canucks chances against Minny then wallowing in a black hole of no sports!

vCash

So the NHL has confirmed the draft lottery procedure for this season:

A lottery will be held on June 26th with the 7 bottom teams having the 1st through 7th best odds and then 8-15 will just be “placeholder” teams. If any of the 3 lottery picks are won by a placeholder team, an additional lottery will be held AFTER the play-in rounds, with each of the 8 play-in loser teams holding equal odds of winning that pick(s).

I’m a little surprised they wouldn’t weight the odds for the play-in teams though that may be the compromise for punishing teams like the Pens and Oilers while greatly boosting the playoff chances for the Hawks and Habs in the play-in format.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 05-26-2020 at 03:56 PM.

vCash

After today...I highly doubt we see Edmonton as one of the HUB cities...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    After today...I highly doubt we see Edmonton as one of the HUB cities...
    If they are not concerned about the Covid #'s in the markets they decide on, Toronto wins a spot for so many logistical reasons.

vCash