Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    97 and 29 also looked gassed.

Which comes back to playing too many minutes.

Which comes back to needing to add several more legitimate players to the F corps.
    The Oilers have played 9 games total. They haven't had a ridiculous amount of road games or travel. Not a single back to back yet. And you think these guys are gassed already? If that is the case and these guys can't get passed 10 games without being tired, then the Oilers are screwed.

Here is a question. Anytime I see a someone mention icetime for a forward and if they get up over 21 mins, immediately people go "Ohhh, they are playing them too much and they will be tired." Why doesn't that EVER apply to a dman? I took a look at the stats and I only looked at the first page so the top 50. Leon is 20th in icetime, McDavid is 40th. The only other forward is Zibanejad at 39. The #1 in icetime is Burns at 26:37. So why is it OK for Dmen to play that much but not a forward?

Do I think the Oiler bottom 6 need to pick it up? 100% they do. But if I was the coach and I had McDavid, the best player in the world and Leon who looks like a top 10 player in the world, I sure as hell would not be sitting those guys in favor of my 4th line. Ideally, as they move forward, I hope they can trim down on their mins a little bit but if you are on a 4th line, you are on a 4th line for a reason.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The Oilers have played 9 games total. They haven't had a ridiculous amount of road games or travel. Not a single back to back yet. And you think these guys are gassed already? If that is the case and these guys can't get passed 10 games without being tired, then the Oilers are screwed.

Here is a question. Anytime I see a someone mention icetime for a forward and if they get up over 21 mins, immediately people go "Ohhh, they are playing them too much and they will be tired." Why doesn't that EVER apply to a dman? I took a look at the stats and I only looked at the first page so the top 50. Leon is 20th in icetime, McDavid is 40th. The only other forward is Zibanejad at 39. The #1 in icetime is Burns at 26:37. So why is it OK for Dmen to play that much but not a forward?

Do I think the Oiler bottom 6 need to pick it up? 100% they do. But if I was the coach and I had McDavid, the best player in the world and Leon who looks like a top 10 player in the world, I sure as hell would not be sitting those guys in favor of my 4th line. Ideally, as they move forward, I hope they can trim down on their mins a little bit but if you are on a 4th line, you are on a 4th line for a reason.
    Please don't take it as a shot as it is meant to be a question, but have you played much hockey? It's much easier to conserve energy within a shift on Defense than it is as a forward, especially a centreman. Generally for Centres it's because of how much more ice they cover. Also, forward are more likely to have to make that late shift push to allow the change to complete Defence can get off first when the puck is sent deep. Once you get past that tipping point within a shift, recovery also takes significantly longer.

The game, strategies and player fitness are changing that up a little bit to narrow that gap, but it's still there just the same.
    Last edited by bone; 10-22-2019 at 10:02 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Please don't take it as a shot as it is meant to be a question, but have you played much hockey? It's much easier to conserve energy within a shift on Defense than it is as a forward, especially a centreman. Generally for Centres it's because of how much more ice they cover. Also, forward are more likely to have to make that late shift push to allow the change to complete Defence can get off first when the puck is sent deep. Once you get past that tipping point within a shift, recovery also takes significantly longer.

The game, strategies and player fitness are changing that up a little bit to narrow that gap, but it's still there just the same.
    I played hockey into my mid teens actually and I have followed the game my entire life so I am not an idiot.

When you have players as good as McDavid and Leon, you need them on the ice as much as you can. In a cap world, where a small segment of players make a massive chunk of your salary cap, you need your top guys to play a lot because the days of having all these high end bottom 6 guys are disappearing. To offset the cost of what the top guys make, you need lots of dirt cheap guys in your bottom 6. Unless you are a high end draft pick on his ELC, if you are a dirty cheap guy, you are making not a lot for a reason. The average shift is what, 45 seconds? So if Leon and McDavid play 3 less shifts, all of a sudden it's OK.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-22-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Please don't take it as a shot as it is meant to be a question, but have you played much hockey?
    I was going to ask this exact question. I could probably play twice the minutes on D as I could on forward in my ball and ice hockey days.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

Seriously? You are comparing McDavid's and Draisaitl's ice time to defencemen as an argument for them not playing too much? You are purposely not comparing apples to apples. Most of your arguments are ridiculous but I think this one takes the cake.

It's almost as bad as your "why can't Larsson be an offensive defenceman" take.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

I played hockey into my mid teens actually and I have followed the game my entire life so I am not an idiot.

When you have players as good as McDavid and Leon, you need them on the ice as much as you can. In a cap world, where a small segment of players make a massive chunk of your salary cap, you need your top guys to play a lot because the days of having all these high end bottom 6 guys are disappearing. To offset the cost of what the top guys make, you need lots of dirt cheap guys in your bottom 6. Unless you are a high end draft pick on his ELC, if you are a dirty cheap guy, you are making not a lot for a reason. The average shift is what, 45 seconds? So if Leon and McDavid play 3 less shifts, all of a sudden it's OK.
    I wasn't calling you an idiot, just asking a question as people who've played the game for a long time are used to the idea that you can get by with less defensemen than forwards. Even at beer league level usually an optimal lineup is only 4 defense, but more often than not teams will want a couple extra forwards beyond two lines. I play both regularly and can tell you, I am much more tired playing even with additional forwards beyond two lines than when I play as one of the four dmen.

You points are valid, it's just the law of diminishing returns. Pushing your best players is probably the best option, but there does become a tipping point. Looking Sunday as an example, it's probably not even that they played about 25 minutes, but moreso that the game was played with pretty good pace, then Connor and Leon played about five of the final nine minutes of game time including a fast paced 3-on-3 overtime including three and a half minutes of the overtime after already playing over 20 minutes through the game. And you could see they were gassed at that point such that it impacted their ability to score.

Not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but players will get tired in segments like that and it can impact their performance.

Another issue with them isn't even how many shifts they take, but that often their shift length is longer than average, and recovery time when you get past the limit on a shift grows by quite a bit. I've often thought they should take shorter shifts, but then they go and score a goal at the end of a 90 second shift and blow my theory out of the water.
    Last edited by bone; 10-22-2019 at 11:20 AM.

vCash

I wasn't calling you an idiot, just asking a question as people who've played the game for a long time are used to the idea that you can get by with less defensemen than forwards. Even at beer league level usually an optimal lineup is only 4 defense, but more often than not teams will want a couple extra forwards beyond two lines. I play both regularly and can tell you, I am much more tired playing even with additional forwards beyond two lines than when I play as one of the four dmen.

You points are valid, it's just the law of diminishing returns. Pushing your best players is probably the best option, but there does become a tipping point. Looking Sunday as an example, it's probably not even that they played about 25 minutes, but moreso that the game was played with pretty good pace, then Connor and Leon played about five of the final nine minutes of game time including a fast paced 3-on-3 overtime including three and a half minutes of the overtime after already playing over 20 minutes through the game. And you could see they were gassed at that point such that it impacted their ability to score.

Not saying it's the wrong thing to do, but players will get tired in segments like that and it can impact their performance.

Another issue with them isn't even how many shifts they take, but that often their shift length is longer than average, and recovery time when you get past the limit on a shift grows by quite a bit. I've often thought they should take shorter shifts, but then they go and score a goal at the end of a 90 second shift and blow my theory out of the water.
    With the amount of 5 on 5 time they should be getting and them getting most of the time for every PP which I want, I think ideally they should be around 22 mins a night. Last game, Leon played 25:39 and McDavid played 24:58. They had an entire 5 min OT where Leon and McDavid played at least half. So without the OT, they are right in the ice time I think they should. I don't think the second unit PP should get more than 30 seconds and I sure don't want the 4th line getting time in OT when it's 3 on 3.

vCash

It's a good thing they won all those games early, because the Oilers look uuuuugly!

After that Winnipeg game and now 2 periods against Minny....I can't watch anymore. There's not a player on that team who isn't a goalie who is playing well. Even McDavid and Draisaitl look terrible.

Can't pass, can't beat anyone, panicky with the puck, can't hit the net. God awful.

An old, slow, bad Minny team is making the Oilers look like the NHL is too fast for them. That includes 97, 93, 29 and 10. Can't handle the press from slow old guys.

Not sure what's up. They can't be tired already. Hungover?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    They are going to regress super hard.
    Ahem.

vCash

Ahem.
    I'm pretty sure 97, 29, 93 and 10 won't spend the rest of the year playing like they're high on mushrooms.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Just as a run of good games doesn't determine the team's fate, nor does a bad game.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'm pretty sure 97, 29, 93 and 10 won't spend the rest of the year playing like they're high on mushrooms.
    Nor are they going to score 17 points in every 7 games, post insane shooting percentages, save percentages and special teams percentages.

The point is, I was very honest about pointing out that what we were seeing was not real and they still aren't a very good team. You spent that time chastising me (and a few others) about complaining. So now when the birds come home to roost, you shouldn't be surprised and maybe shouldn't have complained about the "complaining".

vCash

Nor are they going to score 17 points in every 7 games, post insane shooting percentages, save percentages and special teams percentages.

The point is, I was very honest about pointing out that what we were seeing was not real and they still aren't a very good team. You spent that time chastising me (and a few others) about complaining. So now when the birds come home to roost, you shouldn't be surprised and maybe shouldn't have complained about the "complaining".
    Hopefully, that's the end of the major regression. 17 over 10 games now prorates to 139 Points which is a lot closer to the optimistic side of what people would have expected.

Good news for last night despite how horrible it was, is that the goaltending stayed in the battle enough to allow the team an opportunity to try and come back, they just did nothing with it. Also, the penalty kill in past couple of years would normally have let in 3 in a game like last night, so stopping it at 1 is a small victory. Granted I didn't watch too closely beyond the midway point as you could tell that team had nothing going last night offensively (switched to an entertaining Raptors game)

vCash

Are we allowed to criticize the bottom 6 yet?

Projections after 10 games:

Khaira 0-0-0, -42
    Granlund 0-0-0, -18
    Archibald 0-0-0, -47
    Sheahan 0-0-0, -51
    P Russell 0-0-0, -21
    Chiasson. 0-12-12, Even
    Jurco 0-18-18, +18
    Nygard 14-0-0, -27

- - - Updated - - -

So I take it you quit hockey around the time you were 13 years old?

Playing D is far less taxing than playing W which is far less taking than playing C.

If you don't know this, it's pretty obvious you have never played hockey competitively and I'd suggest you pay more attention to the guys who don't have the puck on their stick to better understand the game.

Either that or you're cherry picking and being disingenuous.
    Last edited by PDO; 10-23-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Khaira 0-0-0, -42
    Granlund 0-0-0, -18
    Archibald 0-0-0, -47
    Sheahan 0-0-0, -51
    P Russell 0-0-0, -21
    Chiasson. 0-12-12, Even
    Jurco 0-18-18, +18
    Nygard 14-0-0, -27
    Yikes, that's scary. 10 games is starting to get into that territory where the sample size is significant enough to start projecting as well (though 20 is often the line in the sand where you can start making assumptions). Someone in this group is going to have to have a nice 10 game segment here or else this team will challenge last year's for production from the bottom half (or rather lack thereof).

vCash

Holland really can't afford to "over ripen" guys. Benson, Maroody, Yamo.... call up the reinforcements already.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I think you already mentioned them on this page, so no, you are not allowed.

vCash

Khaira 0-0-0, -42
    Granlund 0-0-0, -18
    Archibald 0-0-0, -47
    Sheahan 0-0-0, -51
    P Russell 0-0-0, -21
    Chiasson. 0-12-12, Even
    Jurco 0-18-18, +18
    Nygard 14-0-0, -27

- - - Updated - - -

So I take it you quit hockey around the time you were 13 years old?

Playing D is far less taxing than playing W which is far less taking than playing C.

If you don't know this, it's pretty obvious you have never played hockey competitively and I'd suggest you pay more attention to the guys who don't have the puck on their stick to better understand the game.

Either that or you're cherry picking and being disingenuous.
    I am not sure what the hell when I quit playing hockey has to do with anything. But mid teens would mean 15. Math is tough, I know.

vCash

I am not sure what the hell when I quit playing hockey has to do with anything. But mid teens would mean 15. Math is tough, I know.
    Note your time stamps and the post I was replying to.

I know, logic is hard.

Bet you were a tier 7 bantam phenom though before you hung up the skates.

You also completely ignored how completely inane it is to compare a C's ice time to a D's.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Holland really can't afford to "over ripen" guys. Benson, Maroody, Yamo.... call up the reinforcements already.
    Nope. I hope he doesn't. He shouldn't make the same old Oiler mistakes. The playoffs this year don't matter as much as they do the 3-5 years after.

You're not going to fix all the problems this year. Holland has done a great job so far. And yes, criticize the bottom 6 till the cows come home. Nobody said they'd be a playoff team.

We were just enjoying some winning for once and saw the longer view rather than nitpicking everything like a know-it-all.

vCash

Nope. I hope he doesn't. He shouldn't make the same old Oiler mistakes. The playoffs this year don't matter as much as they do the 3-5 years after.

You're not going to fix all the problems this year. Holland has done a great job so far. And yes, criticize the bottom 6 till the cows come home. Nobody said they'd be a playoff team.

We were just enjoying some winning for once and saw the longer view rather than nitpicking everything like a know-it-all.
    Yes, this is a post I appreciate.
    @chadganske

vCash

Never once said I wasn't enjoying it, but everything points to NHLers being in their prime by 22 and out of by 26. Check the ages on those guys, if they're gonna be anything it's gonna be in a hurry.

Tyler Benson is 21, was picked #32 OV, has been a PPG player in the AHL through 90 AHL games.

If he's gonna be a player, he should be hitting 50 GP this year easily in the NHL and putting up 25ish points.

If he can't swim at this point, it's highly unlikely he ever will be able to, but lord knows they need a shot in the arm.

As an aside, who exactly are all these players that the Oilers rushed to the NHL and ruined? Chiarelli completely **** his pants with JP98, but beyond him? Maybe Nail Yakupov? But then again how many 1st OV F's don't immediately play in the NHL? And his rookie season was arguably his best.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/t...r00005632.html

It's all there, and I have a tough time looking at that list beyond Jesse and thinking any of them were ruined by playing in the NHL too early. There were bad picks and guys who were poorly developed in the AHL and guys that got loaded up with injuries in Junior/AHL but beyond that who exactly fell off the map, besides Puljujarvi, by playing in the NHL too early?
    Last edited by PDO; 10-23-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

They certainly didn't ruin anybody by playing them too soon from that 1990 draft!

vCash

17 of a possible 22 points in 11 games. 1st place in the Pacific/Wetsern. Just beat the top team in the east. Koskinen .927, Smith .925.

Yes, there are weak spots. They will go through slumps. No, I don't think they'll make the playoffs. But they will be hanging around in the new year and that makes this year a success AFAIK.

Holland is doing a great job.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 10-25-2019 at 09:54 AM.

vCash

17 of a possible 22 points in 11 games. 1st place in the Pacific/Wetsern. Just beat the top team in the east. Koskinen .927, Smith .925.

Yes, there are weak spots. They will go through slumps. No, I don't think they'll make the playoffs. But they will be hanging around in the new year and that makes this year a success AFAIK.

Holland is doing a great job.
    For now, I just want to enjoy the ride. The longer this strong start goes on even if fueled offensively by only 5-7 players, it gives them an opportunity to withstand the eventual slump. Also buys time so that if the bottom 6 can get it going, or perhaps someone from the minors forces their way onto the team, or trade opportunities pop up.

At least right now it doesn't feel like they need 5-6 more players. With the emergence of Bear, and Manning not being as bad as expected, the defense looks okay with Larsson still to re-enforce it and capable players brewing in the minors. The team is probably only a couple forwards away belonging with the pack that will battle for the wild card at the end of the year, and there is at still some faint hope that help could come from within.
    Last edited by bone; 10-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.

vCash

That third period by McDavid might be the best period he's ever played. Dominant.

Holland needs to airlift in some reinforcements sooner than later so this 8-2-1 start isn't wasted when 97/29 inevitably run out of gas and/or get injured due to their workload. The best time to fix the bottom 6 was at the draft, the second best time was in July, the best time now would be today.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

What's encouraging to me is the play of Bear. I thought he would be a 3rd pairing guy who you had to shelter a bit and gives you some PP time, maybe even on your top PP. Now it's early but he's been excellent and playing BIG minutes from the start of the season. He was the top minute dman last night against a really good team. It makes me hopefully and excited to see the other guys because I don't think there was anyone who didn't have Bear behind all of Bouchard, Jones and Lagesson. Manning who's actually been OK since coming in for Persson, played under 10 mins. If that is the case, put Lagesson in that spot and see what he can do.

vCash

What's encouraging to me is the play of Bear. I thought he would be a 3rd pairing guy who you had to shelter a bit and gives you some PP time, maybe even on your top PP. Now it's early but he's been excellent and playing BIG minutes from the start of the season. He was the top minute dman last night against a really good team. It makes me hopefully and excited to see the other guys because I don't think there was anyone who didn't have Bear behind all of Bouchard, Jones and Lagesson. Manning who's actually been OK since coming in for Persson, played under 10 mins. If that is the case, put Lagesson in that spot and see what he can do.
    Certainly. Bear seems to have calmed down Nurses game and made him better. Usually it's the other way around for rookies, but good news if Nurse has found a partner that he can have some chemistry with as I don't feel he has truly clicked with any other partner so far in his career.

Bear's emergence might allow Larsson to rejoin Klefbom when he returns to the lineup instead and hopefully they could re-kindle their 2016-17 level of play. Then all of the sudden we have two legit d-pairs, with reasonable options on the third.

vCash

The slump will come. Holland's plan was to fill out the roster with 1 year deals with cheap players until some of the awful crap on the books comes off. If somebody grans a spot, then great. He was hoping that over the next 2 years a couple of guys from Bakersfield would grab spots and 1 or 2 of the fillers would work out.

So far Bear has taken the step. None of those 1 year signings looks good, except Smith. But, remember, it's just filler until the cap space comes.

Holland is looking at 2020-21 through 2023-24, not at 2019-20.

'Bout time a GM did that.

vCash

The slump will come. Holland's plan was to fill out the roster with 1 year deals with cheap players until some of the awful crap on the books comes off. If somebody grans a spot, then great. He was hoping that over the next 2 years a couple of guys from Bakersfield would grab spots and 1 or 2 of the fillers would work out.

So far Bear has taken the step. None of those 1 year signings looks good, except Smith. But, remember, it's just filler until the cap space comes.

Holland is looking at 2020-21 through 2023-24, not at 2019-20.

'Bout time a GM did that.
    Well, Mike Smith is all but guaranteed to get some bonuses that will eat into next years cap and he's paying Sekera (who has at worst been a #3 in Dallas thus far) to not pay for him for 3 years after this one and the Chiasson deal is absolutely atrocious and counts into next year as well so that's just not quite true.

I wonder what Bear would do if you put a huge chunk of money and term in front of him? Could he turn down $20,000,000 over 6 years? Would set him up for life. Also some risk for the Oilers there, no doubt, but winning on deals like that is something most cup winning teams have a few of.

Superbowl Champs 2013.