Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Ok my hockeyians I bet the under. If it wins I'll donate 50 of my winnings to one of your favourite charities which might be hard considering there's like six people who told me to take the under.
    Ok 2nd thought if the under hits when I cash in I'll donate 50 to the website, that work? I'd take you all for beers but....I don't feel like being in the poor house ( see what I did there? poor- pour).
    Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I don't see much value in that #.

If Carolina is still floating around 97 points and -140 to make the playoffs that's a much better bet. (over and yes)
    oooh...that sounds like a fun one too.
    Albeit nothing will beat when I put 10 on vegas in their first year to win the west and the cup at 100-1 and 200-1 but thanks PDO I may give that one a shot too
    In Rod we trust

vCash

You know you have a good grasp on the way the Oilers operate when you fully anticipate a press conference to announce MacT's return to the Oilers by the end of the week.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

How do you get fired 8 games in?? He was like 3-5!!
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    How do you get fired 8 games in?? He was like 3-5!!
    I spoke with him shortly before he left and he was going into this fully expecting it. He told me that in the KHL if a team goes on a 3-4 game losing streak they fire the coach. I do doubt he was expecting it after 8 games though! At any rate, I’m looking forward to seeing him back around the store I work at because he’s genuinely a nice guy!

vCash

Fantastic....he can rejoin us just in time for the season.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Some reports that players didn't like him and he was having trouble with the language. His leading scorers have been Ty Rattie and Anton Lander...ouch. His goalie (who is also an Oilers draft pick) has had a save percentage of .867 through 4 games...double ouch.

That said, it took the Russians 8 games to figure out what the Oilers couldn't do in a decade.

vCash

McDavid to play tonight.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
    Gagner-RNH-Neal
    Granlund-Cave-Chiasson
    Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald

Nurse-Larson
    Klefbom-Persson
    Russell-Benning

Smith and Koskinen likely splitting duties. Probably your opening night roster baring injury. That third line is horrendous and I have little hope for the second line.

Unrelated but it didn't take long for Peter Chiarelli to have a bad influence on the Blues.... oh boy did Tulsky take them to the wood shed.
    Last edited by PDO; 09-24-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

That may be the opening night line-up, but I wonder if Neal gets a look on the top line instead of Kassian at some point. He doesn't have the wheels to keep up with McDrai, but hopefully he still has a bit better of a finish that most of the wingers on our team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

That's not a playoff team.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    They desperately need to get some guys punching above their cap hits and Persson/Nygard/Haas/Benson/Bear/Maroody/Bouchard/Jones are those guys. Only having one on the team to start the year is less than ideal.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Speaking of cap hits... Chia making his presence felt in St. Louis:
    Blues acquire Faulk from Hurricanes, reach 7-year deal
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Saw this on a Vegas Knights fan page thought of Ang and OK

2019-09-25_11-37-12.jpg
    In Rod we trust

vCash

It's not supposed to be.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

It's not supposed to be.
    And that's the joke.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

And that's the joke.
    Stop-gapping the Oilers roster with one year deals while other, awful contracts run their course isn't the craziest thing the Edmonton Oilers have ever done. In fact, it looks like the most sane thing they've done in years.

vCash

You can't tell me about stop gapping when he bought out Sekera and panic signed Chiasson to a horrible deal.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

You can't tell me about stop gapping when he bought out Sekera and panic signed Chiasson to a horrible deal.
    I'm kind of with you on the Sekera buy out, but the Chiasson deal is very much a stop gap contract. A little overpay, but short enough term to let the farm percolate and let a few more contracts run out. I don't know that I would have made that deal, but I can at least understand it.

vCash

I WILL tell you that, and you'll take it, and like it, smart guy.

Sekera was dead weight. Perpetually injured and expensive. Saved 3M in space. Chiasson's deal is 2 years and at $2.1M, easily the going rate for a guy who scored what he did last year.

vCash

I WILL tell you that, and you'll take it, and like it, smart guy.

Sekera was dead weight. Perpetually injured and expensive. Saved 3M in space. Chiasson's deal is 2 years and at $2.1M, easily the going rate for a guy who scored what he did last year.
    And now they're paying Sekera for 4 years instead of 2. If you're burning this year as you keep saying was inevitable, you eat his salary this year. It's very simple.

Alex Chiasson went on a bender in November and then scored 5 goals in his last 39 games despite consistently playing on PP1 and with McDavid. Paying that much for a hot streak is not what smart teams do.

Neither of those moves are consistent with setting the team up for success next year or the year following.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Paying that much for a hot streak is not what smart teams do.
    Hold on, now. Are you saying signing Koskinen to that deal after a hot streak was a bad idea? Crazy talk.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Hold on, now. Are you saying signing Koskinen to that deal after a hot streak was a bad idea? Crazy talk.
    Considering the hot streak was already over by the time the contract was signed... God, Chia screwed us over so bad.

vCash

The Brandon Manning / Alex Petrovic trades are still incredible today. Looked like he was literally trying to salt the earth

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

This is the best time of the year as an Oilers fan; fresh start, undefeated, optimism!

I will enjoy these final few hours.
    Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 10-02-2019 at 09:15 AM.

vCash

When your wife sends you a text at 3 pm and tells you she just ordered the NHL Center Ice Package for you as an early Xmas gift....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

So it looks like its still A OK to hack slash and trip McDavid without worrying about getting a penalty.

Whats with Edmonton teams and never getting the call...

vCash
    Blog Entries

^ For what it's worth, Smith didn't get penalized for throwing the stick across the ice. If he did that as a Yote or a Flame, Oilers fans everywhere would be screaming bloody murder.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    ^ For what it's worth, Smith didn't get penalized for throwing the stick across the ice. If he did that as a Yote or a Flame, Oilers fans everywhere would be screaming bloody murder.
    When the play is 180' down the ice, that doesn't matter.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    When the play is 180' down the ice, that doesn't matter.
    Tell that to the angry Canucks fans who are all over Twitter ranting about it.

vCash

I dunno...the problem wasn't the throwing of the stick IMO, but he yanked it out of the grip of the Canuck player intentionally as possession turned over to the Oilers. That left one less Canuck to defend on the Oilers' 2nd goal.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

This game is still all about goaltending. If the oilers get competent tending they can win their share and contend for the playoffs.

I still think people have underestimated just how terrible our tending has been the last two years and heaped too much blame on the defense.