Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Nice first game for Smith. No chance on either deflected goal and he was solid back there. I remain very skeptical he can give us 50 games of that, but it's still a nice start.

Draisatl was incredible and a 200 foot monster out there. 97 looked extremely rusty but still found some magic for the GWG. Nice game for Kassian. RNH did his best in a tough role. I liked what I saw of Klefbom and Bear.

Pretty ugly after that. Granlund was alright. Nurse/Larsson got absolutely hammered out there. Russell deflected one into his own net again trying to play goalie. Nygard, Archibald, Khaira, Chiasson etc all struggled greatly.

I thought Tippet did a real nice job using the TV timeouts to get better matchups and enjoyed the way he ran the bench. I thought the breakout looked noticeably better.

In game presentation is the best the Oilers have ever done. There was a lot of replays opposed to panning the crowd and they played actual pump up music instead of random pop songs.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This game is still all about goaltending. If the oilers get competent tending they can win their share and contend for the playoffs.

I still think people have underestimated just how terrible our tending has been the last two years and heaped too much blame on the defense.
    I agree that their goaltending has been horrible the last couple years, but Koskinen is still here and Smith was sub .900 last year. He was good last night, but it's one game. He'll have his share of duds, count on it.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Nice first game for Smith. No chance on either deflected goal and he was solid back there. I remain very skeptical he can give us 50 games of that, but it's still a nice start.

Draisatl was incredible and a 200 foot monster out there. 97 looked extremely rusty but still found some magic for the GWG. Nice game for Kassian. RNH did his best in a tough role. I liked what I saw of Klefbom and Bear.

Pretty ugly after that. Granlund was alright. Nurse/Larsson got absolutely hammered out there. Russell deflected one into his own net again trying to play goalie. Nygard, Archibald, Khaira, Chiasson etc all struggled greatly.

I thought Tippet did a real nice job using the TV timeouts to get better matchups and enjoyed the way he ran the bench. I thought the breakout looked noticeably better.

In game presentation is the best the Oilers have ever done. There was a lot of replays opposed to panning the crowd and they played actual pump up music instead of random pop songs.
    Bottom six still sucks. The more I watch of Larsson, the more I am in shock that a player like that can get you Taylor Hall.

Leon was a monster. Anyone who says he's only a product of McDavid doesn't watch the games.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Sheahan should help the bottom 6. Cave is a 4th line C at best and Haas was clearly in over his head.

I'd be heavily shopping Larsson if I were Holland.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I agree that their goaltending has been horrible the last couple years, but Koskinen is still here and Smith was sub .900 last year. He was good last night, but it's one game. He'll have his share of duds, count on it.
    Oh I have very little confidence in Mike Smith and zero in koskinen. I've stated for quite a while that the oilers #1 need coming into this year was goaltending, not defense not bottom 6 but tending and in the end it will be there downfall.

Last nights game was just an example what happens when your goalie does not let one utterly awful soft goal in per game and at least one stoppable shot. The oilers had a lot of games last year much like last night except for bad tending.

vCash

Larsson out 4+ weeks and on LTIR. He might just be washed at this point....

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Oilers RHD depth is Bear, Bouchard, Benning. LOL

vCash

Psysk healthy scratched for Florida tonight. I think he's better than Larsson. I'd be all over adding him for cheap.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Oilers RHD depth is Bear, Bouchard, Benning. LOL
    Except Bear was assigned to the AHL?

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...hard-to-oilers

May just be on paper. I'm not sure why that is necessary of Larsson is on LTIR. But it also sounds like if Persson is ready to go on Saturday, that Bouchard never even boards a plane. Not that that makes our RHD look any better.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Except Bear was assigned to the AHL?

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...hard-to-oilers

May just be on paper. I'm not sure why that is necessary of Larsson is on LTIR. But it also sounds like if Persson is ready to go on Saturday, that Bouchard never even boards a plane. Not that that makes our RHD look any better.
    It's just paper. PuckPedia explained the rationale for the move.

vCash

Honestly, that is getting to the point of ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as our RHD depth right now, but still...

vCash

It's nice to see the Oilers actually reading the CBA properly instead of good 'ole Eddy O not knowing he couldn't recall Magnus Paajarvi.

Buying out Sekera so you could afford to grossly overpay Alex Chiasson lookin real dumb right about now. Sekera is currently on the second pairing for Dallas.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

It's nice to see the Oilers actually reading the CBA properly instead of good 'ole Eddy O not knowing he couldn't recall Magnus Paajarvi.

Buying out Sekera so you could afford to grossly overpay Alex Chiasson lookin real dumb right about now. Sekera is currently on the second pairing for Dallas.
    As a Stars fan we'll see how long that lasts. Guy can't stay healthy.

I'm not overly enthused about him being on our roster.

vCash

I am not a fan of buyouts at all but they tried to trade him for 2 months, I don't imagine they asked for much and they even offered to keep 50% of his salary with no takers. I don't care if he looked "OK" last year for a short period of time in the 3rd pairing. He was still getting walked around and just because he can pass the puck a bit, just justify having him on your team at 5.5 mill. At some point in time, if the Oilers are EVER going to get better, having limited guys like Sekera in your line up taking not only a roster spot but 5.5 mill in cap space has to happen. He's a 3rd pairing at best, left shot dman who struggles skating wise. The Oilers have LOTS of 3rd pairing, left shot dmen.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

You realize they're paying $4,000,000 a year to Kris Russell to get walked around, bang the puck off the glass and cosplay as a goalie right?

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

You realize they're paying $4,000,000 a year to Kris Russell to get walked around, bang the puck off the glass and cosplay as a goalie right?
    THEY ARE, NO WAY!!!!! Thank god you are here, I had no idea.

I actually follow the team quite closely and do know that Kris Russell is on the team, making 4 mill to do exactly what you just said. I am not happy what so ever about it and I hope and pray that next year when his cap hit is at 4 mill but his actual dollars paid is 2.5 mill that drops too 1.5 mill after a middle of July bonus is paid, that a low budget team will trade for him to help inflate their cap spending.

Russell is a 3rd pairing dman making WAY too much money. Thanks to the "genius" that was Chia, he left the Oilers with a 5.5 mill dman who you could clock with a sun dial when he did a lap and got slower thanks to back to back major knee and Achilles injury as well a 4 mill dman who shouldn't be any higher than your 3rd pairing. If one of them shot right, then maybe you could stomach it to some degree but they both are left. You can not have 9.5 mill on your roster tied up in 3rd pairing left shot dmen. It would have been physically impossible IMO to get rid of both guys in one offseason so if you are stuck with one, then I would take the guy that can skate.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

masochism /ˈmasəˌkizəm,ˈmazəˌkizəm/
    noun
    1. the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from one's own pain or humiliation.
    2. continuing to cheer for Edmonton sport franchises.

vCash

Watching that game last night I thought I'd been transported to 1984.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

I think they might have something with Nygard. The guy has serious skill and great speed. I think as he gains confidence and learns the North American game, he'll only get better.

vCash

Lord knows they desperately need some found money.

Winning that game with Mike Smith playing that terribly is pretty impressive even with the caveat it was LA. 97 looks like he shook off all the rust.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I think they might have something with Nygard. The guy has serious skill and great speed. I think as he gains confidence and learns the North American game, he'll only get better.
    Both him and Jurco just ooze talent. If we could ever put together a half decent third line...

- - - Updated - - -

Curious what people’s thoughts are on Bear these two games?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Some rookie moments, but D don't develop in a straight line, and it's often quoted that they need about 200 games to establish themselves. That said, he hasn't looked out of place, even in a top 4ish role.

vCash

I thought he had a fantastic opener and then a good follow up, considering the expectations (rookie and playing up in the lineup).

Maybe one of these years Edmonton media will finally acknowledge how good Klefbom is....

The great news tonight is that Mike Smith is not starting, the bad news is that Mikko Koskinen is.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

James Neal...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

We disagree about a lot of things on this discussion board. I think we can all agree that Lucic for Neal was a win.

vCash
    Blog Entries

We disagree about a lot of things on this discussion board. I think we can all agree that Lucic for Neal was a win.
    That trade was the ultimate Anti-Chiarelli.

And how about Kassian?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

James Neal is currently tied for the league's leading scorer.

Not tied anymore!
    Last edited by glenvb; 10-08-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Koskinen had a really nice game. I have more faith in him than Smith fwiw.

97 is still looking a bit rusty with the puck and yet he had another 3 point night. He's gonna pop for 6 or 7 sooner than later.

Bear finally had a rookie moment and it was on the 2nd GA. He got absolutely caught chasing a cycle and way out of position.

Sheahan shows instant value and saves a goal that was ultimately disallowed because of a great stick.

... and obviously Neal was lights out. Good for him!

Edit:

To add, there is a 0% that Todd would have ever played Persson and Bear as his #1 and #2 RD and Russel where he belongs as #3LD with Benning (where he also belongs) as #3 RD. It also gave him a safety blanket third pair, but this was so damn well coached by Tippet tonight.
    Last edited by PDO; 10-08-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Yet Calgary seems to be cheering on happy with Lucic as he's leading the league in PIMs (by quite a bit). I didn't realize lack of PIMs was the reason Colorado smoked them in the playoffs, but I'm not an expert.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Yet Calgary seems to be cheering on happy with Lucic as he's leading the league in PIMs (by quite a bit). I didn't realize lack of PIMs was the reason Colorado smoked them in the playoffs, but I'm not an expert.
    It's not unlike how many Oilers fans - myself included - tried to justify the addition of Larsson in 16-17.