Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

I watched the second intermission and part of the 3rd of the Flames game. the Flames media doing exactly what the Edmonton media and anyone Oilers related did. Play up the physical play, the fighting and the intimidation factor and sell it as being very important and a reason the Flames turned it around. Doing every single thing that Oilers related people did that they LAUGHED at for years. Best part they lost!! They lost to a team they should beat all day long. So for every hit that he threw or punch that he landed, they lost. It's not like he fought an important player for the Kings either. He fought some 3rd pairing, goonish dman.

Lucic took a meaningless fight. He leads the league in PIM but he has no points and a single shot on goal in 3 games. We all saw Lucic take many a meaningless fight early on in the season while producing no offense. As the season goes along, no one would go near him and he did nothing. It's going to be the same thing for the Flames. He will do NOTHING for them because he's a goon now. Teams don't want a goon on their team anymore but that is what he is. A really, really expensive goon. He easily makes 3-4 mill more than he should. If the Flames thought they needed a goon, you can find those guys for cheap. You don't have to spend 5.25 mill on a good, who's got 4 more years left AND a no move clause that you have to deal with when the expansion draft comes along.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

It's only 3 games and while I still say that Holland's plan is a solid one, I also don't expect them to make the playoffs this year. But they will be fun to watch.

But I see what he's doing. Create loads of competition in the bottom 6. And it helps James Neal when he is given an opportunity to score goals instead of never playing the PP and languishing in the bottom 6.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

I have been to both home games so far and the Oilers are definitely faster which is nice to see. They seem to have a lot more skill even in the bottom 6 which is nice to see. With Bear and now Persson, they definitely seem to be more mobile and able to move the puck a lot better on defense.

It's still early. I am not sure they have enough to make the playoffs but fingers crossed they are headed in the right direction finally.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I'm kind of shocked by how fast the Oilers look this season. I didn't think they'd be able to inject that much speed that quickly. Nygard skating that puck out yesterday with pure speed was beautiful to watch. Also helps having Bear and Persson who can make an outlet pass.

Crazy thing to think right now is would James Neal have even got a look on that top PP unit if Chiasson doesn't wind up with the flu?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I'm kind of shocked by how fast the Oilers look this season. I didn't think they'd be able to inject that much speed that quickly. Nygard skating that puck out yesterday with pure speed was beautiful to watch. Also helps having Bear and Persson who can make an outlet pass.

Crazy thing to think right now is would James Neal have even got a look on that top PP unit if Chiasson doesn't wind up with the flu?
    Neal is doing EXACTLY what the Oilers hoped Lucic would do. Be a net front presence who tips and bangs in pucks. There isn't much overly spectacular about the majority of the goals Neal has scored which IMO is a great thing because to me they are easily repeatable. He went to the net and deflected a puck from the high slot. He's a guy who's got good size and he's using his body to get position and banging in rebounds. Those are all hockey basics to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post

They've also played three very slow teams thus far, not to say I necessarily disagree.

The soft schedule to start the year is real nice and points in the bank are in the bank. Hopefully it continues; their first back to back night isn't until October 30th and they only play 2 playoff teams during that time.

The schedule really tightens up in November and games like @Ana @SJS @Vegas will really show how much faster the team is.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Isn’t San Jose falling from that tier as we speak?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Isn’t San Jose falling from that tier as we speak?
    They aren't great so far Vegas beat the tar out of them in the opening home and home but then again Vegas has it in for SJ so they were kinda pumped up
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

If you don't have a goalie, you don't have a chance. Martin Jones is the worst starter in the league. Eventually this will be the problem with the Oilers.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    If you don't have a goalie, you don't have a chance. Martin Jones is the worst starter in the league. Eventually this will be the problem with the Oilers.
    I mean Mike Smith already tried very hard to lose them a game all on his own.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

It could be a problem for the Oilers but IMO, it all depends on how they play the goalies. If they split the time which I think they will, you just need each guy to be average. I don't think it's far fetched to think that Koskinen/Smith can't give the Oilers average goaltending. The Sharks have Dell who's a horrible back up so they tend to lean on Jones to play more.

vCash

They come out of the gate 3-0 and all some people can do it bitch and moan. God help us if they win again tonight.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    They come out of the gate 3-0 and all some people can do it bitch and moan. God help us if they win again tonight.
    I'm okay that many are still looking at this with caution, because the schedule for October isn't overly tough. But I'd rather just enjoy for now that they didn't piss away any of these attainable points.

My favorites recently discovered fact/stat is that despite trailing 6 different times this year, Edmonton was only twice not erased the deficit within 2 minutes, only once did they not erase it within 4 minutes. The one time it took more than 4 minutes it took just over 10 minutes and spanned the first intermission so it wouldn't be considered overly urgent when it happened.

So far the players are finding ways to score whenever it is need and often quickly.

In the past couple years, they sagged when scored against and often would let the score get away from them quickly to the point they couldn't come back. If they maintain this ability to quickly shake off adversity, they may be able to survive the goaltending which will likely be at best league average and more likely below league average.

vCash

If we're still doing this well come mid-season, awesome. But don't start planning the parade just because we're 3-0. Certainly I'd rather be 3-0 than 0-3, and I'm cautiously more optimistic about this team than I was 3 games ago, but beating 3 mediocre to bad teams doesn't mean we should forget all about the holes that still exist on this roster. Putting on rose-colored glasses and not critically analyzing our deficits after a decent run of games is what turned us from a play-off team 3 years ago to a lottery team for the past 2 years.

Interestingly, this is only the 6th time in 40 seasons that we've started 3-0. The last time was 2008 when we started 4-0 (our first season under Tambellini), but still finished 11th in the conference and missed the play-offs by 6 points. A win tonight will only be the 4th time in team history that we've started 4-0. (Note: this does not include our 12-0-3 start in 1984, still an NHL record for longest undefeated run to start a season, as we tied the first game of the season).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    If we're still doing this well come mid-season, awesome. But don't start planning the parade just because we're 3-0. Certainly I'd rather be 3-0 than 0-3, and I'm cautiously more optimistic about this team than I was 3 games ago, but beating 3 mediocre to bad teams doesn't mean we should forget all about the holes that still exist on this roster. Putting on rose-colored glasses and not critically analyzing our deficits after a decent run of games is what turned us from a play-off team 3 years ago to a lottery team for the past 2 years.

Interestingly, this is only the 6th time in 40 seasons that we've started 3-0. The last time was 2008 when we started 4-0 (our first season under Tambellini), but still finished 11th in the conference and missed the play-offs by 6 points. A win tonight will only be the 4th time in team history that we've started 4-0. (Note: this does not include our 12-0-3 start in 1984, still an NHL record for longest undefeated run to start a season, as we tied the first game of the season).
    I don't think anyone is planning the parade because they are 3-0. I just think it's nice to see that the team, granted it's early, looks to be moving in the right direction.

The team didn't go out and throw stupid money or term at a UFA. It's been proven time and time again it doesn't work. The guys they signed were all short term cheap deals. Not every one of them will work out but some will and the ones that don't you aren't stuck with them. You could even waive them and pretty much every one of them wouldn't count against the cap.

They didn't go out and make a knee jerk, stupid trade. Like the Hall trade was. The one trade they made was a great trade. They got rid of an overpriced, dramatically declining player who is the exact opposite of how the NHL plays. He was the poster boy for the mistakes the previous GM did. It didn't cost them any significant assets, nor did they have to retain much and they got a guy who before the season, there was a realistic chance he could contribute. If Neal didn't work out, you could get rid of him easily.

The guys they brought in, while not flashy are the types of players that teams need in the NHL. They all can skate and have skill. I don't know yet if Haas is the answer as the 4th line center but he can skate and has skill. I am more confident he can do the job than I was with Brodziak. Brodziak was an aging, declining in skill, slow player. The exact opposite of how the league was going.

I also see a coach that is using his players in a way that helps the Oilers play how the NHL is being played. I see a team that has speed on all the lines. I like Gagner a person but he can't keep up. Previous coaches and more so the GM would have had him on the team. Russell is here, can't do much about that but he's slotted accordingly. Benning is here and he is slotted accordingly. They are playing Bear and Persson, 2 right shooting, good skating, puck moving dmen. Are they young and inexperienced? Yes but I have more confidence that they can give decent minutes than I would be if Russell was on the right side in the top 4 or Benning. I know what those guys can do, they are 3rd pairing guys. While it's never a good thing when injuries happen, the Larsson injury might turn out to be a blessing. It forced the coaches to play both Persson and Bear. It's early but so far, they have done fairly well. I have no doubt there will be some growing pains but my hope is that these guys can be solid and it makes Larsson expendable to be able to trade him for help elsewhere.

So it's early but I see positives.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If Q sees positives, then you know the Oilers must be doing something right...

*Insert Sheepish troll grin at Q here*
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

And just like that, James Neal has matched his goal total from last season. Deflects a Nuge shot in to tie the game.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Never said I was planning a parade. But now 4 and 0. Is it possible that Holland did a decent job considering that not all of the mess could be cleaned up in one year?

Just find it annoying when hockey fan know-it-alls see all ill if all isnt well all at once.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Never said I was planning a parade. But now 4 and 0. Is it possible that Holland did a decent job considering that not all of the mess could be cleaned up in one year?

Just find it annoying when hockey fan know-it-alls see all ill if all isnt well all at once.
    Some of the know-it-alls look deeper than just the W-L record. They definitely didn't deserve to win tonight. There is still no depth - 97/29 have contributed on 13 of 17 goals. Coming into tonight, they were 3rd worst in CF% and 2nd best in PDO. They've been down a goal in the third period of 3 of the 4 games.

Call me negative if you want, but teams that put up numbers like this usually fall off the cliff pretty quick.

Time will tell.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

At least there is a fall available.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Man. The Oilers could win the Cup one day, and people would complain that Connor gave it to the wrong guy after hoisting it.

For now, I would much rather enjoy this modest win streak instead of waiting to pounce on the first "told-you-so" opportunity...particularly considering the utter sewage show that we endured all of last year. Did we even win 4 games in a row?

vCash
    Blog Entries

It's like some of you have been asleep 13 of the last 14 years.

vCash

Oilers are definitely not perfect over the first 4 games. There are still question marks for the team. I don't know if they are a playoff team. But there are lots of new players, they have a new coaching staff and a new system and are playing a new style. They even have 3 guys who are brand new to the North American style of game. IMO one should expect there to be some growing pains. But despite all of that, they are 4-0. Someone worrying about what their CF% is 4 games into a season to me is someone actively searching to find something negative. If the Oilers haven't improved their advanced stats after that are much further along in the season, then maybe there is something to worry about.

That being said, Corsi is a somewhat useless stat. I say that because the definition of corsi is this.

Corsi is an advanced statistic used in the National Hockey League to measure shot attempt differential while at even strength play. This includes shots on goal, missed shots on goal, and blocked shot attempts towards the opposition’s net minus the same shot attempts directed at your own team’s net. Shot quality or if it's a legit scoring chance doesn't play a part in that stat. So all a team has to do is direct a puck toward the Oilers goal more times than the Oilers do the oppositions and the Oilers get a negative corsi. So the opposition gains the Oilers zone, the Oilers defend it well, keeps the player to the outside, the player makes a shot attempt and it could never even make it to the goal but that counts as a negative corsi event.

IMO, I do not know if the Oilers will EVER be a high corsi team strictly because of the style of players they have. I have seen time and time again and I admit, it drives me nuts sometimes, the Oilers best players pass up shot attempts in PRIME scoring areas in an attempt to set guys up. McDavid passes up premium chances to get a shot on goal I bet at least 3 or 4 times a game. So does Leon and others. So if those guys just fired the puck on goal rather than try to set someone up, their team corsi would go up. Doesn't mean they score anymore but their corsi would go up.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    If Q sees positives, then you know the Oilers must be doing something right...

*Insert Sheepish troll grin at Q here*
    If you think trolling me is warranted because I am happy that the Oilers didn't do anything stupid like usual, I will gladly take it.

vCash

Some of the know-it-alls look deeper than just the W-L record. They definitely didn't deserve to win tonight. There is still no depth - 97/29 have contributed on 13 of 17 goals. Coming into tonight, they were 3rd worst in CF% and 2nd best in PDO. They've been down a goal in the third period of 3 of the 4 games.

Call me negative if you want, but teams that put up numbers like this usually fall off the cliff pretty quick.

Time will tell.
    I'm happy they won and my reactions on twitter should make it pretty obvious I cheer hard for the team, but there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here and that was an overall ugly effort against a team that has been terrible this far and was on a back to back. Lucky win, and I'm happy they got it because it's points in the bank but they desperately need to start producing offense when neither 97 or 29 are on the ice.

Nice game for Mikko, that's two quality starts for him.

I'd also pump the brakes on celebrating that Holland only has 9 players signed for 2020. That's a massive job that he kicked the can down the road for.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I'm happy they won and my reactions on twitter should make it pretty obvious I cheer hard for the team, but there's a lot of smoke and mirrors here and that was an overall ugly effort against a team that has been terrible this far and was on a back to back. Lucky win, and I'm happy they got it because it's points in the bank but they desperately need to start producing offense when neither 97 or 29 are on the ice.

I'd also pump the brakes on celebrating that Holland only has 9 players signed for 2020. That's a massive job that he kicked the can down the road for.
    Do they actually have only 9 players signed though? Don't you expect Bouchard to be stepping into a spot? Benson was supposedly close. Marody was close. Yamamoto is playing very well. McLeod looks like a player soon. I would think that not being tied to a whole bunch of players is a good thing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Do they actually have only 9 players signed though? Don't you expect Bouchard to be stepping into a spot? Benson was supposedly close. Marody was close. Yamamoto is playing very well. McLeod looks like a player soon. I would think that not being tied to a whole bunch of players is a good thing.
    That's still 10 guys to sign and that is a *lot.* Most teams don't have anywhere near that turnover. It's certainly better than having a lot of bad money tied up, but it is a downside to having htis many one year deals.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

That's still 10 guys to sign and that is a *lot.* Most teams don't have anywhere near that turnover. It's certainly better than having a lot of bad money tied up, but it is a downside to having htis many one year deals.
    Are you assuming that no one gets resigned?

I would assume that Nurse gets resigned. He's a top 4 NHL dman who can skate, can play on all your special teams, play big mins, has some offense, defends OK and just entering his prime. The Morrisey contract basically sets his price and it's a pretty fair deal.

You wouldn't sign Kassian? At worst he's a decent bottom 6 guy. It's early but he's looking like he can be a top 6. Why would you let him go.

Bear I assume gets resigned.

I just ticked off 3 guys I would call no brainers and not hard to do.

vCash
    Blog Entries

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Are you assuming that no one gets resigned?

I would assume that Nurse gets resigned. He's a top 4 NHL dman who can skate, can play on all your special teams, play big mins, has some offense, defends OK and just entering his prime. The Morrisey contract basically sets his price and it's a pretty fair deal.

You wouldn't sign Kassian? At worst he's a decent bottom 6 guy. It's early but he's looking like he can be a top 6. Why would you let him go.

Bear I assume gets resigned.

I just ticked off 3 guys I would call no brainers and not hard to do.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't sign them but you still have to actually sign them and it's a lot of work to do between now and June, especially since they seem very intent on keeping money open for Taylor Hall.

Superbowl Champs 2013.