Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Manning to IR with a hand injury.

Jones recalled.

Klef/Jones
    Nurse/Bear
    Cowboy/Benning

C'mon Tip. Do it!
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I get it now!! It was a mom's trip and Manning's mom was there. So you throw him a bone and play him for his mom. You tell him to pick a fight. He "breaks his hand" conveniently in last nights game. That allows you to put him on IR and call up the superior Jones who's apparently a man amongst boys in the AHL and ready to go. Then "complications" happen with Manning's hand injury and he is done for the year, allowing the Oilers to put him on LTIR. Genius!!
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I get it now!! It was a mom's trip and Manning's mom was there. So you throw him a bone and play him for his mom. You tell him to pick a fight. He "breaks his hand" conveniently in last nights game. That allows you to put him on IR and call up the superior Jones who's apparently a man amongst boys in the AHL and ready to go. Then "complications" happen with Manning's hand injury and he is done for the year, allowing the Oilers to put him on LTIR. Genius!!
    LOL!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Manning to IR with a hand injury.

Jones recalled.

Klef/Jones
    Nurse/Bear
    Cowboy/Benning

C'mon Tip. Do it!
    Looks like you got your wish.

But I still don't get why Patrick Russell continues to play. And Smith starting? Jesus.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Koskinen should be starting but otherwise I'm quite happy with that lineup.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Koskinen should be starting but otherwise I'm quite happy with that lineup.
    I think Tippett likes to gives goalies a second chance after a stinker.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

It's not that I've gotten older, kids. Your music really DOES suck!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I think Tippett likes to gives goalies a second chance after a stinker.
    He was poor against St. Louis in his last start as well though. Meanwhile Koskinen played quite well in both of his starts in between.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I feel like we are severely rolling the dice on Jones to be pushing Jones so high up the lineup....we lucked out with Bear. Last thing I want to see is us destroy a defenseman who looks like he has some serious potential but struggled mightly last season when pushed into top 4.

Mind you, I guess you could say the same about Bear in 2018 but still.....probably some PTSD after seeing what we did to Smid, Jultz, Petry, Gilbert....

- - - Updated - - -

He was poor against St. Louis in his last start as well though. Meanwhile Koskinen played quite well in both of his starts in between.
    Between Smith losing one regulation game against Colorado in his entire career combined with how well he played virtually this same Colorado team last year in the playoffs....I don't see this as a shocker.

And frankly....after 20 games...Tippett has shown to have a pretty good sense on his goalies so far.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I feel like we are severely rolling the dice on Jones to be pushing Jones so high up the lineup....we lucked out with Bear. Last thing I want to see is us destroy a defenseman who looks like he has some serious potential but struggled mightly last season when pushed into top 4.

Mind you, I guess you could say the same about Bear in 2018 but still.....probably some PTSD after seeing what we did to Smid, Jultz, Petry, Gilbert....

- - - Updated - - -

Between Smith losing one regulation game against Colorado in his entire career combined with how well he played virtually this same Colorado team last year in the playoffs....I don't see this as a shocker.

And frankly....after 20 games...Tippett has shown to have a pretty good sense on his goalies so far.
    Jones played top 4 minutes in several games last year.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Oh, I know. But the St. Louis game was a week before the sinker in San Jose. I think Tippett likes to see if they bounce back. He's still .913 for the year so far, which aligns with the majority of his career before Calgary.

But 2 of his last 5 games have been in the .700s. Yuck.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Jones played top 4 minutes in several games last year.
    Yup and I mentioned how poor he looked in top 4. Now playing with Klefbom will shelter him a little bit but I’ve seen this not turn out well enough in the past in this organization...would you not agree?

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yup and I mentioned how poor he looked in top 4. Now playing with Klefbom will shelter him a little bit but I’ve seen this not turn out well enough in the past in this organization...would you not agree?
    What do you mean? He's played more than 120 AHL games. How long do you want to leave him down there?

And as "poor" as you think he looked, he's still better than Russell.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    What do you mean? He's played more than 120 AHL games. How long do you want to leave him down there?

And as "poor" as you think he looked, he's still better than Russell.
    Yeah that is a fair point about already essentially playing two year in the minors. Jones did NOT look good at all in top 4 minutes but agreed that Russell needs to stay bottom pairing where he has actually been pretty good with Benning. Interesting that Tippett is going with two lefties though with Klef and Jones...

#PizStrong

vCash

Yeah that is a fair point about already essentially playing two year in the minors. Jones did NOT look good at all in top 4 minutes but agreed that Russell needs to stay bottom pairing where he has actually been pretty good with Benning. Interesting that Tippett is going with two lefties though with Klef and Jones...
    I heard an interview with Jones and he said he's played mostly on the right side since turning pro. So they are playing him in a position he's used too and comfortable with.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Lets see how Jones looks THIS time he's up. LAST time doesn't matter. Remember Draisaitl's first stint?

I do, however, like that Holland is willing to let the cake fully bake rather than pulling a Puulliiijjaaarrvi or a Yakopov or a Lander or a Omark or a Pitlick or hell even go back with this franchise. Even Eberle and Hemsky came out too early, if you ask me.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wonder how the game is going...

*looks at boxscore*

...I repent of ever questioning McDavid...
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Was there to see Mcdavid and Draisaitl combine for 11 points! Incredible what those 2 are doing!

vCash

McDavid and Draisatl have 78 points.

The entire Stars F lineup has 72 points.

Jeez.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

The Oilers need approximately 66 points in 60 games to make the playoffs now. Just a but above .500 the rest of the way gets you in the show.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    Something else to keep in mind with the expansion draft coming up in a few years is that anyone with a NMC/NTC has to be protected unless they waive (I believe this is what Fleury did with Pittsburgh).

Can someone explain something about the rules on NMC/NTC clauses. I thought that I had heard once that once a player waives the NTC/NMC once, it is not longer in affect. So this would mean for example Lucic or Neal can now be traded to anyone, because they waived once.
    Sorry to reply to an old note, but just getting back in here. NMCs are definitely a concern for expansion, but I think NTCs aren't an issue (or at least weren't last time).

For Edmonton, however, this is currently a non-issue after they got rid of Lucic. They will have zero No Movement contracts in effect at the time of the expansion draft (unless Russell counts, but his contract expires days later so I'm pretty sure that it doesn't). This of course doesn't consider any possible clauses that could be added to newly signed contracts signed this upcoming summer.

Neal doesn't have an NMC or NTC.

As for what happens at a trade, them waiving for a trade does nullify the clause, however, it can be negotiated that the clause remains after the trade which players would often push for as a condition to waiving the clause to accept a traded. Lucic, for example, kept the details of his clauses.

vCash

The Oilers need approximately 66 points in 60 games to make the playoffs now. Just a but above .500 the rest of the way gets you in the show.
    All the more reason to bring in some reinforcements with the schedule really tightening up.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

All the more reason to bring in some reinforcements with the schedule really tightening up.
    With Larsson coming back I suspect that Jones goes back down.

vCash

With Larsson coming back I suspect that Jones goes back down.
    Possible, but Persson would be the better candidate to get his confidence back. It's only 2 games, so hard to know for sure, but Jones has held his own so far. I'm not the one calling the shots, but if I were, I'd keep him up for a while to see if he can keep this up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Possible, but Persson would be the better candidate to get his confidence back. It's only 2 games, so hard to know for sure, but Jones has held his own so far. I'm not the one calling the shots, but if I were, I'd keep him up for a while to see if he can keep this up.
    I'd send him down. Whoever stays will be in the press box. No use having Jones there. He needs to play.

vCash

*pie in the sky* or put Russell in the presser....

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Rotate Benning, Russell, and Jones through the press box. Every third or fourth have in the press box won't stunt his development at this point.

Play the hell out of Larsson and showcase him for a trade. Hall, one for one

vCash

Rotate Benning, Russell, and Jones through the press box. Every third or fourth have in the press box won't stunt his development at this point.

Wouldn't that be something. LOL!

Although, I do expect one of our vet defensemen to get moved this year. Too many young guys coming up. Both Larsson and Russel still have one more year left, which makes them more valuable.

vCash

This. Create a rotation similar to the goalie rotation, though I imagine Russell wouldn't be part of it as he plays a lot of PK where Jones and Benning likely wouldn't. 2 games in, 2 games out, regardless of results and if anyone else is nursing an injury or having a couple bad games in a row requiring a game off, let them have it.

The likeliness of all of Klefbom, Nurse, Bear, Larsson and Russell being 100% healthy for the rest of the year is very unlikely so you have a chance to probably get Jones and Benning into 60% or more of the games anyways. There's also the eventuality that Bear hits a bit of a funk and may need a one game reset as is typical in rookie seasons.
    Last edited by bone; 11-19-2019 at 10:51 AM.

vCash

Wouldn't that be something. LOL!

Although, I do expect one of our vet defensemen to get moved this year. Too many young guys coming up. Both Larsson and Russel still have one more year left, which makes them more valuable.
    There's what, ten guys waiver eligible come September?

Kenny has to move one in season and one by the draft at bare minimum.

The interesting guy to move is Nurse, who could probably fetch one hell of an F.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

There's what, ten guys waiver eligible come September?

Kenny has to move one in season and one by the draft at bare minimum.

The interesting guy to move is Nurse, who could probably fetch one hell of an F.
    There's just no way they move Nurse. I don't know why people would even discuss it because it's not going to happen.