Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

I agree and have said as much many times. He's likely the guy they *should* move but I'd be shocked.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Call. Dubas. Every. Day.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I agree and have said as much many times. He's likely the guy they *should* move but I'd be shocked.
    I think they will move Larsson and Russell.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

It's not that I've gotten older, kids. Your music really DOES suck!

vCash

Not oilers related but for any of you hockey fans that haven't seen it on sportscenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWP...1DeQHwXISAjGpU
    In Rod we trust

vCash

There's what, ten guys waiver eligible come September?

Kenny has to move one in season and one by the draft at bare minimum.

The interesting guy to move is Nurse, who could probably fetch one hell of an F.
    I don't get that scared of waivers personally. Simply put, never ever move your best players just to protect someone at the bottom of your roster.

How many guys actually get claimed in a typical year and the waiver risks are what? Lagesson, Day and Persson, assuming all the guys currently on the roster would stay in Edmonton. If Edmonton moves one player then it's Day and your pick of Lagesson or Persson. You don't move Nurse for fear of protecting players of that calibre despite the fact that I have high expectation of Lagesson and also see Nurse somewhat overhyped.

The reality is that many teams already have their own prospects similar to Lagesson, and Persson is one season away from UFA next year unless he has such a good year this year that Edmonton extends him multi-year. If that happens with Persson, you maybe don't even qualify Benning or risk exposing him to waivers or get serious about trading someone like Larsson who is also a year away from UFA next year.

Practically speaking if the season continues on the current path, Holland likely looks at moves around Russell or Benning with an outside chance of Larsson, then waivers aren't a concern.
    Last edited by bone; 11-20-2019 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Can I just say...

In light of the Eskimos' disappointing season, it is so nice to see the Oilers with:

- The most wins in the Western Conference (2nd place only to the Blues because of the 3-2 L)...

- The top spot in the Pacific Division...

- The top leading point-getters in the league...

- A puck-moving defense...

- 5 games above .500 (if you include the OTL)

...and as much as there's been some ugly games, there's been some really dominant ones as well.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Can I just say...

In light of the Eskimos' disappointing season, it is so nice to see the Oilers with:

- The most wins in the Western Conference (2nd place only to the Blues because of the 3-2 L)...

- The top spot in the Pacific Division...

- The top leading point-getters in the league...

- A puck-moving defense...

- 5 games above .500 (if you include the OTL)

...and as much as there's been some ugly games, there's been some really dominant ones as well.
    Other nice items. They haven't lost three in a row yet all season. They've only been below Bettman .500 in a five game stretch once (1-3-1).

#1 power play in the league
    #3 penalty kill in the league

Furthermore the real stinkers vs. real dominant games aren't exclusive to teams you'd expect those games to occur. Some of their worst games have been against the bottom half of the league and some of their best against the top half.

There's still something to be said about the quality of schedule Edmonton has had, but they seem to be winning against good teams about as commonly as they are beating the lesser teams.

All these things seem to suggests that there is at least a possibility for them to keep in the race here, particularly now that the bottom half of the roster is starting to chip in with a little bit of offense.
    Last edited by bone; 11-20-2019 at 12:33 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The Toronto Maple Leafs just fired Mike Babcock.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-maple-lea...****-1.1400977

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I don't get that scared of waivers personally. Simply put, never ever move your best players just to protect someone at the bottom of your roster.

How many guys actually get claimed in a typical year and the waiver risks are what? Lagesson, Day and Persson, assuming all the guys currently on the roster would stay in Edmonton. If Edmonton moves one player then it's Day and your pick of Lagesson or Persson. You don't move Nurse for fear of protecting players of that calibre despite the fact that I have high expectation of Lagesson and also see Nurse somewhat overhyped.

The reality is that many teams already have their own prospects similar to Lagesson, and Persson is one season away from UFA next year unless he has such a good year this year that Edmonton extends him multi-year. If that happens with Persson, you maybe don't even qualify Benning or risk exposing him to waivers or get serious about trading someone like Larsson who is also a year away from UFA next year.

Practically speaking if the season continues on the current path, Holland likely looks at moves around Russell or Benning with an outside chance of Larsson, then waivers aren't a concern.
    I think Laggesson is a lot better than he gets credit for, but that's fair. I think it's also important to keep an eye on the expansion draft (where we are almost guaranteed to lose Caleb Jones right now). They have a clear strength in a deep D pipeline and they need to turn that into some useful F's. Lots of ways to do it, but they do need to start on it.

Also, while he won't require waivers next year, Bouchard should absolutely be in the NHL next year.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I think Laggesson is a lot better than he gets credit for, but that's fair. I think it's also important to keep an eye on the expansion draft (where we are almost guaranteed to lose Caleb Jones right now). They have a clear strength in a deep D pipeline and they need to turn that into some useful F's. Lots of ways to do it, but they do need to start on it.

Also, while he won't require waivers next year, Bouchard should absolutely be in the NHL next year.
    Bouchard WILL be in the NHL next year. That's why I think both Larsson and Russell get moved before camp next year.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Bouchard WILL be in the NHL next year. That's why I think both Larsson and Russell get moved before camp next year.
    Yeah, it's hard to imagine him not being in the NHL. Guys with that pedigree that become anything are in the NHL sooner than later, if he can't crack the team they've got serious issues.

I think they should trade Russell and Larsson but I'll hold my breathe until it actually happens. Russell for a decent F at a similar cap hit should happen before the deadline and Larsson at the draft for a top 6 F are the two deals that just make too much sense to not happen.

The wild card again though is if Nurse is asking for mega bucks and you can move him for someone like Willie Nylander.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

The Nurse thing is interesting, since the bridge deal just doesn't seem to exist in the NHL now. So they'll be looking at term and high dollars. I'm not sure he's a $6M+ guy.

vCash

Well he basically was bridged which is what has created this mess to a degree. He's arbitration eligible and could certainly net 12/2 from an arbitrator and take that straight to UFA. I suspect he asks something like 6.5x8 and I'm not sure I sign that deal either. He does a lot of good out there, but there are real warts in his game as well that aren't likely to improve at his age.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Yeah, it's hard to imagine him not being in the NHL. Guys with that pedigree that become anything are in the NHL sooner than later, if he can't crack the team they've got serious issues.

I think they should trade Russell and Larsson but I'll hold my breathe until it actually happens. Russell for a decent F at a similar cap hit should happen before the deadline and Larsson at the draft for a top 6 F are the two deals that just make too much sense to not happen.

The wild card again though is if Nurse is asking for mega bucks and you can move him for someone like Willie Nylander.
    My objection to this is that if he's asking for mega bucks, why trade him for someone else already making mega bucks that may not be as valuable to a team overall.

We finally have some defense percolating to give us depth, I'm concerned to rushing moves to rid us of that depth.

So play the scenario being discussed out. Trade Nurse and either trade or lose both Larsson and Russell by the end of next year as their contracts expire, then lose Lagesson to expansion. All of the sudden our defense top 4 is Klefbom, Bouchard, Bear, Jones. At this point only Klefbom would have more than 200 games in the NHL and he has injury history. All of the sudden no depth. Now say Jones and Bouchard don't pan out which is still possible, then it gets worse.

The safest play is sign Nurse but grind him for the best possible deal. If everyone pans out like we want to see, then consider trades only at that point.

As for Bouchard playing next year, making waivers an even bigger issue, if everyone else is playing so well that you can't risk waiving them, is it going to destroy Bouchard to at least start the season in the minors while it gets figured out?
    Last edited by bone; 11-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    My objection to this is that if he's asking for mega bucks, why trade him for someone else already making mega bucks that may not be as valuable to a team overall.

We finally have some defense percolating to give us depth, I'm concerned to rushing moves to rid us of that depth.

So play the scenario being discussed out. Trade Nurse and either trade or lose both Larsson and Russell by the end of next year as their contracts expire, then lose Lagesson to expansion. All of the sudden our defense top 4 is Klefbom, Bouchard, Bear, Jones. At this point only Klefbom would have more than 200 games in the NHL and he has injury history. All of the sudden no depth. Now say Jones and Bouchard don't pan out which is still possible, then it gets worse.

The safest play is sign Nurse but grind him for the best possible deal. If everyone pans out like we want to see, then consider trades only at that point.

As for Bouchard playing next year, making waivers an even bigger issue, if everyone else is playing so well that you can't risk waiving them, is it going to destroy Bouchard to at least start the season in the minors while it gets figured out?
    Nylander would be an incredible add to this forward group and be viewed as a value contract throughout his play here imo. He would also add a desperately needed RHS.

I'd say if Bouchard is your 4th best D but you have to send him down so you don't lose a guy for nothing there's a problem. It's not that it's going to hurt Bouchard, but it's going to hurt the product on the ice.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Nylander would be an incredible add to this forward group and be viewed as a value contract throughout his play here imo. He would also add a desperately needed RHS.
    Fair enough, I probably tend to underrate Nylander, though. I do believe if Nylander was here after next season, RNH isn't. However, that may be fine if we can find an actual capable defensive centre with at least some offensive jam for reasonable dollars in the bottom six. That should be easier to find than a Nylander.

I'd say if Bouchard is your 4th best D but you have to send him down so you don't lose a guy for nothing there's a problem. It's not that it's going to hurt Bouchard, but it's going to hurt the product on the ice.
    True. I just have a hard time believing he'd be the fourth best d-man next year unless we do move on from Nurse and Larsson. I'd love to be wrong.

vCash

Well he basically was bridged which is what has created this mess to a degree. He's arbitration eligible and could certainly net 12/2 from an arbitrator and take that straight to UFA. I suspect he asks something like 6.5x8 and I'm not sure I sign that deal either. He does a lot of good out there, but there are real warts in his game as well that aren't likely to improve at his age.
    There is abso-freakin-lutely no way I'd pay Nurse 6.5x8. No way. No how.

For a guy who was supposed to have offensive upside he's only ever scored 10 in a season. And while we're off to a great, winning start this year, he's -3.

vCash

Lots of buzz on the Oilers D play last night, and it wasn't great on any of the GA's, but when the goalie lets in 3 goals like that it really exacerbates the defense issues.

I can't see Nurse signing for anything less than 6 mil a year. It would be prudent to at least find out what the market is for him, but if you're trading him I think you absolutely have to trading him for a stud RH forward. Off the top of my head, Willie Nylander, Zibanjed, Konecky are guys I'd be looking at.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Bortuzzo should get 25+ games and I doubt he gets 5. Dude *injures* a star player on a cross check, gets upset he was getting penalized for taking a penalty, and then takes a clear shot at an injured player who was completely defenseless. Disgusting play by a garbage player.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Bortuzzo should get 25+ games and I doubt he gets 5. Dude *injures* a star player on a cross check, gets upset he was getting penalized for taking a penalty, and then takes a clear shot at an injured player who was completely defenseless. Disgusting play by a garbage player.
    Not really Oilers related, but agreed. Dirty garbage.

vCash

4 games it all the creep got. What a joke.

vCash
    Blog Entries

RIP Pizmo

vCash

2 games over .500 the rest of the way is all they now need to get into the post-season.

vCash

But what will we do in the playoffs without Lucic?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    But what will we do in the playoffs without Lucic?
    We'll win.

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    We'll win.
    We'll certainly miss his 2 goals, 9 points and 24 PIM presence he's amassed over the last 5 years (18 games). Hopefully, Neal's 20 goal and 33 points and 42 PIMs he's accumulated over that same time span (66 games) can compensate, at least partially.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Neal reminds me of Lucic's first season here. A total drag at 5v5 but great on the PP. He's going to have to get bought out at some point.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Neal reminds me of Lucic's first season here. A total drag at 5v5 but great on the PP. He's going to have to get bought out at some point.
    At least Neal has an actual history of producing on the PP though.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    100% his contract will be a problem by the time it runs out. Best hope is that he produces again next year and we can convince Seattle to take him with the selling feature being that he's experienced expansion before, is producing and can be one of the team's go to vets.

Even offer a reasonable draft pick as incentive if necessary.

The difference for me with him compared to Lucic's PP that year is that Lucic seemed to get a lot of his points out of just size and strength, and he'd never produced like that on the PP before. Neal's PP points are more skilled tip plays or well placed sticks to find the open net. Those talents shouldn't just disappear as it mostly positioning and hand-eye coordination, and he had history of those types of plays prior to this year.
    Last edited by bone; 11-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

At least Neal has an actual history of producing on the PP though.
    Fair.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham