Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I'm not saying I wouldn't sign them but you still have to actually sign them and it's a lot of work to do between now and June, especially since they seem very intent on keeping money open for Taylor Hall.
    This can't be real. There's no way he's coming back here.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

If he hits UFA they will make a very real very big push and it will center around a push from 97.

I just don't know how you could realistically make the dollars work without it absolutely cratering you near the end of his career. Would he sign $40,000,000 / 4? I kinda doubt it, he would be leaving a lot on the table.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I'd also pump the brakes on celebrating that Holland only has 9 players signed for 2020. That's a massive job that he kicked the can down the road for.
    I believe we have 10 players signed next season as your count is likely missing Adam Larsson.

The way I view it is in a league-wide sense. Most teams I checked out typically only have 10-13 players signed for next season as you see teams going all in on the high-end talent. The teams who have far more signed are teams that have no wiggle room and lost good players as a result (Toronto and Winnipeg for example). You and me both know how many poor contracts this team has signed bottom forwards to over the past decade. Hell we did it again with Chiasson but at least we are keeping cap room open moving forward. Hopefully we eventually actually use it unlike PC circa-2017....
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Biggest surprise this year for me, is Ethan Bear. His poise and puck moving ability are something sorely missed on the line. He's here to stay, long term hopefully.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

If he hits UFA they will make a very real very big push and it will center around a push from 97.

I just don't know how you could realistically make the dollars work without it absolutely cratering you near the end of his career. Would he sign $40,000,000 / 4? I kinda doubt it, he would be leaving a lot on the table.
    He'd be looking for 7, but maybe you could do 6. At 6 years, he would be 33 when it ends. I feel like he'd still be pretty good at 33. I mean James Neal is 32.

But he's not coming back.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Can't see Hall coming back here after the way the Oilers spread so many lies about him.

Hall will get 8M+ on the open market.

I'm not sure its really part of Holland's plan anyway. He's positioning the Oilers to fill some of their roster spots in 2020-21 and 2021-22 from within their system (and only when the players are ready, which is new) and add in some free agents.

But they won't be able to afford Taylor Hall. Not after they extend Nurse, Bear and Nugent-Hopkins.
    And they've already got 3 superstars on the roster. Holland knows he just needs to fill out the supporting cast with good players and the Oilers are on their way.

They will have a lot of cap space, but also a lot of roster spots to fill.

I still say no playoffs this year, but they will still be in the conversation at Christmas. 8 points in the bag gives them the ability to have the inevitable slide and still remain competitive.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Can't see Hall coming back here after the way the Oilers spread so many lies about him.

Hall will get 8M+ on the open market.

I'm not sure its really part of Holland's plan anyway. He's positioning the Oilers to fill some of their roster spots in 2020-21 and 2021-22 from within their system (and only when the players are ready, which is new) and add in some free agents.

But they won't be able to afford Taylor Hall. Not after they extend Nurse, Bear and Nugent-Hopkins.
    And they've already got 3 superstars on the roster. Holland knows he just needs to fill out the supporting cast with good players and the Oilers are on their way.

They will have a lot of cap space, but also a lot of roster spots to fill.

I still say no playoffs this year, but they will still be in the conversation at Christmas. 8 points in the bag gives them the ability to have the inevitable slide and still remain competitive.
    8M? It will be double digits minimum.

I think the Oilers could do it. Wouldn't be easy but Brodziak and Gagner come off the books. You would have to shed Russell. I think a competent GM could do it.

vCash

A former league MVP hitting free agency? He could get Tavares money if he really wants it...someone will back up the Brinks truck for him. No way he is coming back to Edmonton...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Biggest surprise this year for me, is Ethan Bear. His poise and puck moving ability are something sorely missed on the line. He's here to stay, long term hopefully.
    I think it's been garbage the way he has essentially been thrown to the wolves and a huge kudos to him so far not only being adequate but being one of our better Dmen this season.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    8M? It will be double digits minimum.

I think the Oilers could do it. Wouldn't be easy but Brodziak and Gagner come off the books. You would have to shed Russell. I think a competent GM could do it.
    Don't get me wrong, mate. I'd love to see Hall back here. I just don't see how the math works. How much will the Oil need to pay 93?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

That MSG ice is terrible. So is the officiating.

But the Oilers have a 3-1 lead anyway.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

That's 10 points in 5 games. A nice pad.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Five.

And.

Oh.

Handing the Rangers their first loss of the season.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, mate. I'd love to see Hall back here. I just don't see how the math works. How much will the Oil need to pay 93?
    He's not a free agent until after next year. He'd probably stay here for something like 6x6. I'd choose Hall over him anyway.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    He's not a free agent until after next year. He'd probably stay here for something like 6x6. I'd choose Hall over him anyway.
    At $6M x 6 for RNH you might be able to get Hall. Hall is a LW. I think We all need to accept that Draisaitl is a winger, not a centre. With 97 and 93 you have 2 centres that get it done. I would never trade 93. Way too valuable.

That said, you are right in that high quality LWs are hard to find. They need both. In any case, after the OEG spread so many lies about Hall I would be shocked if he even considered a return.

Wonder if NJ would take Larsson for Hall?

vCash
    Blog Entries

I would be shocked if he even considered a return.
    Agreed.

vCash

Went out with my son and his fiancee saw tht the oilers won I know there's lot of oil fans on here so I'm glad for you guys
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Went out with my son and his fiancee saw tht the oilers won I know there's lot of oil fans on here so I'm glad for you guys
    Nowhere near close to anointing them as contenders, or even as a playoff team...but whatever they do, it's so nice to pay attention to the Oilers and know that I won't be wasting my time on a lousy team.

Take note, Eskimos.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Rest in peace Coach Green.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.