Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

I was hearing on some radio station that Mike Smith's 'puck handling' was a real strength and you wouldn't want to put a leash on it. I haven't actually witnessed it myself yet.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I was hearing on some radio station that Mike Smith's 'puck handling' was a real strength and you wouldn't want to put a leash on it. I haven't actually witnessed it myself yet.
    He's got caught 3 times. And his #1 move seems to be to bang it off the glass....
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

I flip radio stations so much when I'm driving I'm not sure which station or who was saying that but they said his puck handling was one of his strengths. Maybe they are just comparing it to his ability to stop pucks or something.

vCash

Another win, another round of bitching.....
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Had the privilege of attending the game in person. I had never before seen a goal that left me speechless.

But then McDavid...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Had the privilege of attending the game in person. I had never before seen a goal that left me speechless.

But then McDavid...
    I'm glad you got a chance to go see your team win. My son and his fiancee went to the game too they had a great time which is always nice to see. I can't wait for January 11th going to Vegas to see my knights play and enjoy 16 dollar beers (who am I kidding it's Vegas I'll fuel up before the game)
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I want to say thanks to Gio for his cheap leg sweep last year. McDavid seems to have taken that injury very personally, came back better than ever if that was possible and is determine to shove everything up the NHL's ass.

IMO, it sure looks like McDavid and Leon have taken their game to another level. The 2 of them have decided they are going to dominate this league and get the Oilers into the playoffs no matter what. I didn't think it was possible for McDavid to be any better but I was wrong and I don't think I have seen him look this determine. He's never an emotional guy but on the ice, he is FIRED up this year. He is absolutely jacked every time either he, or someone else scores. Leon looks like a freaking man amongst boys. He's an absolute dominate player.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I want to say thanks to Gio for his cheap leg sweep last year. McDavid seems to have taken that injury very personally, came back better than ever if that was possible and is determine to shove everything up the NHL's ass.

IMO, it sure looks like McDavid and Leon have taken their game to another level. The 2 of them have decided they are going to dominate this league and get the Oilers into the playoffs no matter what. I didn't think it was possible for McDavid to be any better but I was wrong and I don't think I have seen him look this determine. He's never an emotional guy but on the ice, he is FIRED up this year. He is absolutely jacked every time either he, or someone else scores. Leon looks like a freaking man amongst boys. He's an absolute dominate player.
    They're also hitting their prime peak age too 22-23. Just think of the stuff you could do faster and better at 22-23. Personally when I think of that stuff it exhausts me.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

But then McDavid...
    I went to a game in Vancouver around a year ago, close to when the Sedins retired. An Oiler D-man flipped the puck 100 feet from his own end. McDavid was 30 feet behind the Canuck D-man when the puck was flipped...not only did he get to the puck as it arrived, he handled it like the Canuck wasn't even there, went past him, and scored. Similar to last night.

I'll never forget it. I've seen Gretzky live in his prime, but that's the goal I'll remember.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

If the Oilers continue to win with their two superstars putting on a spectacular show and having a goalie stand on his head, I'm good with that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    If the Oilers continue to win with their two superstars putting on a spectacular show and having a goalie stand on his head, I'm good with that.
    It's the 1980s all over again!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I'll take 6-1 to start the year ANY year. Racking up wins early on increases your odds of still hanging around the picture after New Year.

There are still problems with the team, but they don't suck, and that's a nice change.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'll take 6-1 to start the year ANY year. Racking up wins early on increases your odds of still hanging around the picture after New Year.

There are still problems with the team, but they don't suck, and that's a nice change.
    Fixing the problems is sure a lot more fun when you're winning than when you're losing. You have to know that Tippett wasn't happy with the way the game deteriorated at the end of the Flyer game and he'll want a better closeout from the team. The players know it as well, "boy did we **** the bed in the last few minutes, but fortunately we built enough of a buffer to get the win."
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Also a lot more justifiable to fix them when they've got a bloated record with points in the bank and a very soft schedule for another two weeks. 20 points in October means you can be an 85 point pace team the rest of the way and comfortably make the playoffs.

The pieces you can move are pretty obvious too. There's no need to have Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Bear, Persson, Benning, Russell, Jones, Lagesson, Bouchard... that's clearly the position of strength you're trading from.

Start looking around at NHL teams that are off to horrendous starts and have useful "middle 6" F's. Kyle Palmieri would be dream, but maybe it's Kevin Fiala or Tyler Toffoli. Options will be out there but jump on it early and start adding.

Maybe we get really lucky and JP98 agrees to come back in late November and adds another piece of the puzzle...
    Last edited by PDO; 10-17-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Maybe we get really lucky and JP98 agrees to come back in late November and adds another piece of the puzzle...
    Is that lucky? Has something drastically changed that he will contribute more if he comes back?

Is the scenario that he agrees to come back because the Oilers are doing well? How would that be received in the locker room after he walked out on the team?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Is that lucky? Has something drastically changed that he will contribute more if he comes back?

Is the scenario that he agrees to come back because the Oilers are doing well? How would that be received in the locker room after he walked out on the team?
    He needs to go elsewhere. Can't call out the management and team like that and expect to be welcomed back. Send him packing somewhere and ensure the return is a solid one. He's playing quite well across the pond right now; his value is just going up.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Also a lot more justifiable to fix them when they've got a bloated record with points in the bank and a very soft schedule for another two weeks. 20 points in October means you can be an 85 point pace team the rest of the way and comfortably make the playoffs.

The pieces you can move are pretty obvious too. There's no need to have Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Bear, Persson, Benning, Russell, Jones, Lagesson, Bouchard... that's clearly the position of strength you're trading from.

Start looking around at NHL teams that are off to horrendous starts and have useful "middle 6" F's. Kyle Palmieri would be dream, but maybe it's Kevin Fiala or Tyler Toffoli. Options will be out there but jump on it early and start adding.

The Oilers this month have 2 games against the Wings, a game against the Jets, Panthers, Capitals and Columbus. There should be no reason they can't win 4 more games this month. That puts them at 20 points for October as you said. If they do that, that means they have to be barely above .500 to have a chance to get into the playoffs.

I don't think JP will amount to anything in the NHL. He is Yak 2.0 in my opinion. Maybe if a team is lucky, he will turn into a bottom 6 player some day. I can appreciate that he is doing well in the Finnish league which is better than nothing but scoring on goalies who aren't even AHLers with long range wrist shots on that big ice doesn't make me more confident in him. If he was in the NHL, most goalies don't let those goals in and teams wouldn't give him that kind of time and space. But maybe they can sucker some team into taking him.

Minnie is in a tale spin. They are extremely old and slow with lots of big contracts with players well past their prime. Maybe they can take advantage of Guerin. A new GM put into an almost impossible situation with a clueless owner. A guy like Fiala would be nice. He could slide right into the second line and at 3 mill isn't making a ton.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Strongly believe JP98 will play 1000 games in the NHL and selling low would be a terrible mistake.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

So, another win. 7-1. Let the complaining begin.....

vCash

You know nobody is complaining but it's also fair to point out that they're taking advantage of a soft schedule and still desperately need more from the bottom 6. Both things can be true.

Koskinen has been great thus far....

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yeah, exactly. It's not complaining to look deeper than the win-loss record and point out some issues. I think the Gagner call up is an attempt to get more scoring out of the bottom 6. Last year they were historically bad at getting scoring from the bottom 6 and this year they are worse!

This isn't real. They are going to regress super hard. That being said, those points are in the bank and I wouldn't count out Leon and Connor to drag this corpse to the postseason.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

I wasn't one that thought the Oilers goaltending would be a complete disaster like some people. I expected it would be middle of the pack. But WOW. So far isn't been excellent.
    Smith: 5 Games: 3-1-1 - 1 SO, 1.97 GA, .930%
    Koskinen: 4 games: 4-0, 2.20 GA, .930%

I don't expect them to keep those numbers up but if they can as I expected be at least middle of the pack which I don't see that as being unrealistic, the Oilers should be OK in that department. I hope that Tippett keeps up with the pretty even split because I think it's what these guys need. Keeps them both fresh and most importantly, keeps them hungry. Any coincidence that after back to back wins and very good efforts by Koskinen that Smith comes in and is lights out? I doubt it. A team can win a lot of games with good special teams, a killer top line and very good goaltending. The Avs did that 2 seasons ago with exactly that.

vCash
    Blog Entries

9 games. 1 goal from the bottom 6 and the two players who generated that goal aren't even in the lineup anymore.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    9 games. 1 goal from the bottom 6 and the two players who generated that goal aren't even in the lineup anymore.
    How many goals has the bottom 6 scored? I don't think you have mentioned it enough times. I only see you referencing the bottom 6's offense twice on this one page.

vCash

By far that's still the biggest issue. Fortunately, pretty much all the other issues that have sunk the last couple seasons are better, offense from defense up significantly, both special teams at the top of the league, and above average goaltending.

I think the most likely to revert out of those improved areas is obviously goaltending, but maybe they can stay at average or better. If so, that's likely a few points in the bank.

I think it's reasonable that the special teams and offense from defense can keep up. Maybe not at the same clips, but say both special teams stay top 10, and the defense keeps contributing, this team can stay in the hunt even when regression happens.

Of course, I'd love to find some offense in the bottom six, but it's nice to see 9 games in that it is the only major concern so far. Shot metrics, may also be of slight concern, but this early with score effects due to Edmonton not trailing for very much time so far, it's tough to analyze, especially with that Philly third period.

I can't see this team staying at the top of the conference or league once the schedule gets a bit harder, but there are at least enough positives to suggest it's reasonable to stay in the hunt for playoffs much later than the last few years particularly in a still weaker West.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    How many goals has the bottom 6 scored? I don't think you have mentioned it enough times. I only see you referencing the bottom 6's offense twice on this one page.
    Oh, sorry. I must have forgotten that things are only allowed to be mentioned once per thread and the great Sectionq would be moderating all this information.

vCash

Exactly.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    By far that's still the biggest issue. Fortunately, pretty much all the other issues that have sunk the last couple seasons are better, offense from defense up significantly, both special teams at the top of the league, and above average goaltending.

I think the most likely to revert out of those improved areas is obviously goaltending, but maybe they can stay at average or better. If so, that's likely a few points in the bank.

I think it's reasonable that the special teams and offense from defense can keep up. Maybe not at the same clips, but say both special teams stay top 10, and the defense keeps contributing, this team can stay in the hunt even when regression happens.

Of course, I'd love to find some offense in the bottom six, but it's nice to see 9 games in that it is the only major concern so far. Shot metrics, may also be of slight concern, but this early with score effects due to Edmonton not trailing for very much time so far, it's tough to analyze, especially with that Philly third period.

I can't see this team staying at the top of the conference or league once the schedule gets a bit harder, but there are at least enough positives to suggest it's reasonable to stay in the hunt for playoffs much later than the last few years particularly in a still weaker West.
    I don't think even the biggest optimist expected the Oilers to be tops in the league or even the West. The hope was they would be in the hunt for the playoffs and if things went right, they squeak in. Every win and point they get, moves them 1 step closer to that. I for one don't care how they win, just win. It's nice seeing a few wins for a change.

vCash

I don't know that we will ever see McDavid whiff on 2 passes in a row from Draisaitl with a clear passing lane and a clear shot again.

And the ice in that rink sucks. Both teams struggled with it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I don't know that we will ever see McDavid whiff on 2 passes in a row from Draisaitl with a clear passing lane and a clear shot again.

And the ice in that rink sucks. Both teams struggled with it.
    97 and 29 also looked gassed.

Which comes back to playing too many minutes.

Which comes back to needing to add several more legitimate players to the F corps.

Superbowl Champs 2013.