Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

Lottery balls.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Only this time the good teams are getting the most lottery balls.

vCash

If the season is "paused" for 2-3 weeks, or even 4 weeks, then they still can have the rest of the games and playoffs. Or, they can have a reduced remainder of the regular season and a shorter playoffs (best of 5 first round).

The NHL and the PA will sort that out. I'm sure they will award the Stanley Cup.
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Colby Cave has passed away.

vCash

Unbelievably sad.
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash
    Blog Entries

It was just a few months ago that Cave scored in the game against Pittsburgh.

All of the sudden, the loss of the NHL season seems so small by comparison.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Very Very Sad Rip Colby
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

vCash

Anyone wanna play?

Instead of “Kiss, Marry, Kill” we played the hockey version — “Start, Sit, Limited Ice Time”

Wayne Gretzky
    Gordie Howe
    Bobby Orr
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Anyone wanna play?

Instead of “Kiss, Marry, Kill” we played the hockey version — “Start, Sit, Limited Ice Time”

Wayne Gretzky
    Gordie Howe
    Bobby Orr
    Start Gretzky
    Sit Gordie Howe
    Limited Ice Time Orr

vCash

Talk of the possibility of playing all Pacific division games in Edmonton. I must say I am quite surprised they sound like they actually want to complete the season. Especially after saying they didn't want to compromise next season.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Talk of the possibility of playing all Pacific division games in Edmonton. I must say I am quite surprised they sound like they actually want to complete the season. Especially after saying they didn't want to compromise next season.
    It's all about revenues and escrow. There is a LOT of money at stake here.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Bettman even said as much. Didn't dance around the topic at all.

The interesting thing will be draft and free agency. They are saying they'd do the draft in June but no players would be traded, just picks.

vCash

Should clarify I meant the rest of the regular season. Pardon the ignorance but I guess I'm just surprised they will put the time and money required instead of starting playoffs when we are allowed to gather again.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

I would have to think that the advertising revenue would be really high if they are the only current and live sports to watch in North America. That’s I guess also if there are companies still doing well enough to spend the money on advertising through the pandemic. God I miss sports and the chat surrounding them!

vCash

The border has to open before anything can happen. And then they have to be able to guarantee testing for the players and staff. I can be done, and I'm very curious to see if it actually will.

vCash

Should clarify I meant the rest of the regular season. Pardon the ignorance but I guess I'm just surprised they will put the time and money required instead of starting playoffs when we are allowed to gather again.
    I'm wondering how they would manage the schedule fairly. Not all the remaining games in the regular season are against divisional opponents. Now I haven't studied who has remaining games against who, but if a Pacific team now no longer had to play a scheduled game against the Bruins and instead got an extra game against the Kings, that would be an advantage over Pacific teams that had already played both games against the Bruins. I'm not sure how or if they would account for things like that. Perhaps if they do away with the conference wild card spots and just have the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs and have the playoffs remain within the division until the conference finals, then at least interdivisional games would be allowing teams to control their own destiny. It's going to be messy any which way, and I'm sure no matter what system they go with, it won't affect all teams equally or fairly.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Still. Every game adds to the bottom line. Even regular season games.

vCash

Still. Every game adds to the bottom line. Even regular season games.
    Wouldn't that mostly depend on what kind of deal they have with the networks? If games are played in empty arenas, there won't be a gate, so it will depend on if the broadcasters are paying them on a per game basis or lump sum for the season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I'm wondering how they would manage the schedule fairly. Not all the remaining games in the regular season are against divisional opponents. Now I haven't studied who has remaining games against who, but if a Pacific team now no longer had to play a scheduled game against the Bruins and instead got an extra game against the Kings, that would be an advantage over Pacific teams that had already played both games against the Bruins. I'm not sure how or if they would account for things like that. Perhaps if they do away with the conference wild card spots and just have the top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs and have the playoffs remain within the division until the conference finals, then at least interdivisional games would be allowing teams to control their own destiny. It's going to be messy any which way, and I'm sure no matter what system they go with, it won't affect all teams equally or fairly.
    Yeah, it sounds like they definitely want some kind of schedule completion, but it's impossible to do it completely fair if locking up only divisional opponents into a city.

A quick look shows:

Edmonton still had 5 eastern conference games and only 5 intra-division games and 1 vs. the Central (71 games so far)
    Calgary had 5 eastern conference games, and 5 intra-division games, and 2 vs. the Central (70 games so far)
    Vegas had 1 eastern conference game (Detroit), 6 intra-division and 4 vs. the Central (71 games so far)
    Canucks had 1 eastern conference game (Tampa), 9 intra-division and 3 vs. the Central (69 games so far)
    Coyotes had 2 eastern conference games (New York and Detroit), 6 intra-division and 2 vs. the Central. (70 games so far)
    The California teams are irrelevent since they'd be out anyways (70-71 games each so far).

I can't see a fair way of doing this where teams still end up with equal games played.

Perhaps you look at completing the season setting the max games played to be the least amount of games played by a team if they finished just their intra-division games (Calgary would be 75 games). This would mean Edmonton only plays 4 of their 5, Vegas 4 of their 6, Canucks 6 of their 9, Coyotes 5 of their 6. Figure out the best scenario that gets you there. But say one of the games subtracted is Edmonton vs. Vegas, Canucks would be pissed to lose games vs. a few of the Cali-teams if Edmonton's lost a game against the division leader.

vCash

I think that if they finish the regular season it will be done unfairly because that's the only way to do it. They'll just have to swallow that.

But of they start playing in July, and still have 3 weeks of regular season games and then 6 weeks of playoffs, I don't see how they don't compromise the next season.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Wouldn't that mostly depend on what kind of deal they have with the networks? If games are played in empty arenas, there won't be a gate, so it will depend on if the broadcasters are paying them on a per game basis or lump sum for the season.
    They wouldn't be pushing to play them if it didn't add to their bottom line.

vCash

They wouldn't be pushing to play them if it didn't add to their bottom line.
    True. I guess that would also depend on who is pushing for it, the players or the owners. The players would be more likely to push for it if it guarantees that more of their contracts are being paid out. The owners would be more likely to push for it if it gets them more money from broadcasters. Players and owners from bubble teams would push for it if playing the games gets them into the playoffs which in turn gets the owners more revenue and players getting bonuses.

vCash

True. I guess that would also depend on who is pushing for it, the players or the owners. The players would be more likely to push for it if it guarantees that more of their contracts are being paid out. The owners would be more likely to push for it if it gets them more money from broadcasters. Players and owners from bubble teams would push for it if playing the games gets them into the playoffs which in turn gets the owners more revenue and players getting bonuses.
    I don't see how it impacts players salaries from a games played perspective as ultimately it's all tied to revenues and they are guaranteed a certain percentage regardless of the number of games played.

However as this impacts revenues, both the players and the owners should benefit almost equally, albeit less than it would have been under normal circumstances assuming these games earn more money than they cost to put on. Secondly players/owners in the hunt for playoffs want it simply because of their competitive nature or future marketability of the team.

vCash

As a Canucks fan, I am in a similar position as Oilers fan as the Nucks were competitive again for the first time in 5 years so having the season lost or even continued in a weird 4 location empty arena scenario sucks.

And now there is talk that the draft might be held in in June even if the season continues. The Canucks first rounder this summer is a conditional pick, it goes to the Devils if we make the playoffs or goes to them next summer if we miss this season. So there is a scenario where they use points percentage to determine draft spots (Canucks are in a playoff spot if using percentage) so the Devils would get the pick, but then we could still miss the playoffs anyway.

I must imagine that their are other conditional picks around the league with similar implications. What a ****ing mess.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    As a Canucks fan, I am in a similar position as Oilers fan as the Nucks were competitive again for the first time in 5 years so having the season lost or even continued in a weird 4 location empty arena scenario sucks.

And now there is talk that the draft might be held in in June even if the season continues. The Canucks first rounder this summer is a conditional pick, it goes to the Devils if we make the playoffs or goes to them next summer if we miss this season. So there is a scenario where they use points percentage to determine draft spots (Canucks are in a playoff spot if using percentage) so the Devils would get the pick, but then we could still miss the playoffs anyway.

I must imagine that their are other conditional picks around the league with similar implications. What a ****ing mess.
    Yeah, it's kind of like giving up a 3rd round pick for a ****ty coach and then a 2nd round pick for an even ****tier GM who absolutely sewers your team and then the NHL abolishing draft pick compensation immediately afterwards.