Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

vCash

Re: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers Season Thread - Another Year of Stockholm Syndrome

I'm not expecting Holland to solve every issue this team has this year. His plan is longer term and will work, IMO.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Every season is precious, banners are forever and points are in the bank.

Holland would be a fool to not help this group with some impactful forwards.
    I agree....and you only need to look at Calgary last season. They were a top 6 forward away from being a legit cup contender....but didn't want to trade away future. Well not only did the secondary scoring cost them against the Avs but the lack of secondary scoring was also a huge issue this year. And that "future" is still sitting there not doing anything at the moment.

I do hope we stay the hell away from Hall and instead go after cheaper options like Tyler Toffoli or if we could ever make the money work....Zucker(though his age is a bit worrisome) who would fill the #2 RW spot for the next 3-4 years.
    Last edited by stamphater; 12-08-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I agree....and you only need to look at Calgary last season. They were a top 6 forward away from being a legit cup contender....but didn't want to trade away future. Well not only did the secondary scoring cost them against the Avs but the lack of secondary scoring was also a huge issue this year. And that "future" is still sitting there not doing anything at the moment.

I do hope we stay the hell away from Hall and instead go after cheaper options like Tyler Toffoli or if we could ever make the money work....Zucker(though his age is a bit worrisome) who would fill the #2 RW spot for the next 3-4 years.
    They don't have the ability to acquire Taylor Hall. Although he would be great. And no, he's not a locker room cancer. Those rumours have been debunked enough times.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    They don't have the ability to acquire Taylor Hall. Although he would be great. And no, he's not a locker room cancer. Those rumours have been debunked enough times.
    Of course they could get him but I highly doubt they would be able to re-sign him without a lots of chairs being rearranged. As for the cancer stuff...he definitely pushed people the wrong with within that dressing room and their is absolute legitimacy to it. But I also think he has grown up a fair bit....a lot of us were pretty immature at 20 or 21. Never mind being a millionaire hockey star in Edmonton on top of it all.

#PizStrong

vCash

Of course they could get him but I highly doubt they would be able to re-sign him without a lots of chairs being rearranged. As for the cancer stuff...he definitely pushed people the wrong with within that dressing room and their is absolute legitimacy to it. But I also think he has grown up a fair bit....a lot of us were pretty immature at 20 or 21. Never mind being a millionaire hockey star in Edmonton on top of it all.
    Again, the rumours regarding Hall were all debunked over and over. The organization need someone to blame.

vCash

Again, the rumours regarding Hall were all debunked over and over. The organization need someone to blame.
    Yeah...except it was coming from former players..not the organization.

#PizStrong

vCash

Yeah...except it was coming from former players..not the organization.
    No, it wasn't. ALL of those rumours were started by the organization. No player said anything bad about Hall. Because they liked him.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 12-09-2019 at 05:56 AM.

vCash

No to Hall. That is all.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    No to Hall. That is all.
    Yeah. On second thought, you're right. Why have a MOP on your team who, when is on the ice, ensures your team always outscores the opponent?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Taylor Hall as a Devil and Connor McDavid as an Oiler.

Both get 55% of the goals when they are on the ice at 5v5.

True story.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

So not only is he a prick, but he's an effective point getting prick. Got it. No thanks.

vCash

No, it wasn't. ALL of those rumours were started by the organization. No player said anything bad about Hall. Because they liked him.
    Well yeah except for Belanger, Ference, Klefbom, and Scrivens.

#PizStrong

vCash

Well yeah except for Belanger, Ference, Klefbom, and Scrivens.
    Quotes? Or just more rumours?

vCash

Caleb Jones on the showcase recall here.

Suspect the Oilers offer is Jones, JP98 and a 2nd that becomes a 1st with a re-sign or a lot of playoff success.

There would have to be a second shoe to drop here as well though to open up cap space. Russell for a pick?

Or, and this seems far too creative to actually happen, selling high on James Neal for a pick?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Holland doesn't make trades like that.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

As you know, I don't disagree.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Regression is real. And it's a bitch.

vCash

Minnesota
    Toronto
    Dallas
    St. Louis
    Pittsburgh

That's the Oilers' next 5 games. This, I think, is where we see if this year's edition is a playoff team. A lot of questions will be answered.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Minnesota
    Toronto
    Dallas
    St. Louis
    Pittsburgh

That's the Oilers' next 5 games. This, I think, is where we see if this year's edition is a playoff team. A lot of questions will be answered.
    What, the 4 game homestand against Ottawa, LA, Buffalo and Carolina where they won one game didn't answer those questions?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    What, the 4 game homestand against Ottawa, LA, Buffalo and Carolina where they won one game didn't answer those questions?
    I feel like it did, so struggling through the next 5 games would solidify the assertion that this isn't a playoff team or at best a wild card team. I think most of us have been burned so many times hoping for success that this is our expected outcome.

However, if they come out of the next 5 games 4-1 or 3-1-1, you could attribute the latest stretch to a cold streak which every single team in the NHL goes through at some point.

So far this is how the team streaks have gone:

7-1 to start
    1-3-1 in its first cold spell
    8-3-2 in a prolonged average to above average spell where they never won more than two in a row but also never lost two in a row in regulation.
    2-4-1 in its current run.

Taking the opposition out of the equation and simply looking at results, it could just be the ebb and flow of a season with the current run being it's worst of the season particularly from a goal differential perspective.

The positive is that they have yet to lose three in a row all season, and only twice have lost twice in a row in regulation. Earning a few points in the poor stretches is what keeps the playoff teams in the picture through the year and at least they've cusioned the bad runs with a couple ugly wins, that previous editions of this team couldn't gut out.

As a result, they still at least have a good position in the standings and can dig themselves out of this current hole without too much damage, provided they start going the right direction. That doesn't even need to be another 7-1 stretch. Another 8-3-2 stretch would put them at 58 points in 46 games and they would be well positioned for the stretch drive.

I'm hoping for the latter, but expecting the former.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I feel like it did, so struggling through the next 5 games would solidify the assertion that this isn't a playoff team or at best a wild card team. I think most of us have been burned so many times hoping for success that this is our expected outcome.

However, if they come out of the next 5 games 4-1 or 3-1-1, you could attribute the latest stretch to a cold streak which every single team in the NHL goes through at some point.

So far this is how the team streaks have gone:

7-1 to start
    1-3-1 in its first cold spell
    8-3-2 in a prolonged average to above average spell where they never won more than two in a row but also never lost two in a row in regulation.
    2-4-1 in its current run.

Taking the opposition out of the equation and simply looking at results, it could just be the ebb and flow of a season with the current run being it's worst of the season particularly from a goal differential perspective.

The positive is that they have yet to lose three in a row all season, and only twice have lost twice in a row in regulation. Earning a few points in the poor stretches is what keeps the playoff teams in the picture through the year and at least they've cusioned the bad runs with a couple ugly wins, that previous editions of this team couldn't gut out.

As a result, they still at least have a good position in the standings and can dig themselves out of this current hole without too much damage, provided they start going the right direction. That doesn't even need to be another 7-1 stretch. Another 8-3-2 stretch would put them at 58 points in 46 games and they would be well positioned for the stretch drive.

I'm hoping for the latter, but expecting the former.
    When they were 7-1, I was here saying it wasn't real and they aren't really good. It's still true. They started hot because of a weak schedule, amazing special teams, unsustainable save percentage from two below average goalies, and insane numbers from 29 and 97.

This is not a playoff team.

vCash

When they were 7-1, I was here saying it wasn't real and they aren't really good. It's still true. They started hot because of a weak schedule, amazing special teams, unsustainable save percentage from two below average goalies, and insane numbers from 29 and 97.

This is not a playoff team.
    You’re probably right and of course the 7-1 stretch was unrealistic. But the 8-3-2 stretch wasn’t quite as reliant on those same elements and was against better competition in general. Our only hope is that they can be closer to the 8-3-2 team in the next segment than the 2-4-1 team.

vCash

Angelus could be wrong and he could be right. I'm just not ready to call it on December 11. This team has beaten some very good teams and lost to garbage ones. And it's not like they're 2-8 in their last 10. This regression is only 4-6.

When they were winning it wasn't real, now a few losses and the sky is falling. They just can't win with some fans, I guess.

I just hope Holland doesn't make panic moves that mortgage years of playoff appearances for a playoff appearance in one year.

edit: By the way, they went to SO and got a point against the Sabres, who don't suck by any stretch. Carolina is a playoff team right now in a WC spot in the east. They beat LA, played a stinker against Ottawa and beat Vancouver after losing to them.

Connor McDavid's numbers aren't unsustainable. This is what the best player in the world does. Koskinen has had 2 bad games in the last 5.

This is the "regression" we're talking about. Sorry if I'm not about to panic.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 12-11-2019 at 09:51 AM.

vCash

SNAP !!! CRACK!!! POP!!! Whats that sound? People jumping off the bandwagon and snapping their ankle and then the others that throw their shoulders out patting them on the backs saying I knew this would happen and then go on for hours about how to fix it all because they've been a GM in a Hockey Video game, and call out a real GM a hack and has no idea what to do other than ruin the Oilers.

Like Clock work as soon as the Oil cool off all over social media

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    SNAP !!! CRACK!!! POP!!! Whats that sound? People jumping off the bandwagon and snapping their ankle and then the others that throw their shoulders out patting them on the backs saying I knew this would happen and then go on for hours about how to fix it all because they've been a GM in a Hockey Video game, and call out a real GM a hack and has no idea what to do other than ruin the Oilers.

Like Clock work as soon as the Oil cool off all over social media
    lol some people. You've been asleep 12 of the last 13 years?

You can say I'm jumping off the bandwagon if you want without realizing I was never on the bandwagon. Go back in this thread and see for yourself.

It's not hindsight when you said it all along.

vCash
    Blog Entries

They just can't win with some fans, I guess.
    Are you for real? They'll win with some fans, when they actually win games. One playoff appearance in 13 years and you make comments like this.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Also this whole "you've never been a GM so you couldn't do better" is flat out bull****. We called it when it happened. Hall trade, Reinhart trade, Lucic signing, Manning trade, Strome trade x2. These moves have devastated the team and we called it when it happened. So yes, some of us could do better than the actual GM.

I can't believe there are some people out there who still support the Management group of a team that made the playoffs once since 2007. Unreal.

vCash

Are you for real? They'll win with some fans, when they actually win games. One playoff appearance in 13 years and you make comments like this.
    Angelus, that's a ridiculous post. Yes, they've sucked for years. And when they finally DO start winning, like they HAVE BEEN, some fans just won't give them credit. I stand by my absolutely fair comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this whole "you've never been a GM so you couldn't do better" is flat out bull****. We called it when it happened. Hall trade, Reinhart trade, Lucic signing, Manning trade, Strome trade x2. These moves have devastated the team and we called it when it happened. So yes, some of us could do better than the actual GM.

I can't believe there are some people out there who still support the Management group of a team that made the playoffs once since 2007. Unreal.
    Ken Holland 'aint Pete Chiarelli, mate. Yes, we all hated that guy. For good reason, sure. I'm not judging the new guy based on the old guy. The new guy is much better. Same goes for the coach.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Angelus, that's a ridiculous post. Yes, they've sucked for years. And when they finally DO start winning, like they HAVE BEEN, some fans just won't give them credit. I stand by my absolutely fair comment.
    Through 33 games

2019-20 Oilers: 18-11-4
    2018-19 Oilers: 18-12-3

Is that surprising to you at all?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Ken Holland 'aint Pete Chiarelli, mate. Yes, we all hated that guy. For good reason, sure. I'm not judging the new guy based on the old guy. The new guy is much better. Same goes for the coach.
    Look at Detroit's record in the last decade. Look at the contracts that are on their books. Look at the team he left and how they are performing this year. Holland ain't Chiarelli. But it's closer than you think.