Thread: Watching games through my kids eyes.

vCash

Sports Watching games through my kids eyes.

We’re in the throws of what is becoming another tough Esks season in what is a really tough era for Edmonton sports. Even 2015 is becoming a distant memory. But I’ll tell you what, I’ve really started watching everything differently since becoming a dad. My boys are aged 6 and 4, and ever since they were born I’ve been grooming them to be sports fans, and what a joy this is to do with them. My wife and I took both of the kids to their first sports games when they were about a month old. And while obviously at this age it’s meaningless to them, I felt it important to start getting them used to being in this environment really really early. Well boy has that ever paid off! The excitement they express when we pull up to whichever venue we are going to makes it so much fun for me! When my oldest was 2, we’d have our jerseys on and as soon as he would see either Commonwealth, Rexall, or the Centrium he grab the logo on his jersey and start cheering wholeheartedly! This told me right off the bat, win or lose that it was going to be a fun night!

As these few years have gone on, I’ve really tried to make sure that I help up that experience any way I can. And watching the kids take it in is really special to me. I’ve been very fortunate to take my family to a number of Oilers games sitting in club seats. To take them down to the glass during warmups and get that close to the players is so cool! The looks on their faces watching the warmup that close is something I really cherish. This past Monday I was there and my boy went to the area behind the bench where the players walk to the dressing room and every one of them gave him a gloved 5! Both of us thought that was so cool!

I have now bought both kids their own season ticket for the Esks, and both absolutely love it! Last game I finally bought them their kids club passes to give them (us! ) access to the field and some players after the games. Well let me tell you that even for the kid inside this 43 year old body that this is an absolute freaking blast to do with my boys! Watching the kids run a mini football in for a touchdown, to get pictures with both Eskimo players and players from opposing teams is really exciting. My oldest sons favorite Esk is Gable and last night he got to meet him! He said “CJ, you’re my man!!” to him in which Gable responded with a big smile, a high 5 and a “thanks buddy!”. Made my kids night.

There is no doubt that live sports events have changed a ton for me in the past couple of years. It’s no longer getting to my seats five minutes before the start and heading straight out afterwards. It’s more about finding as much of the experience as I can, and the kid in me is really glad that I’m discovering that.

vCash

Re: Watching games through my kids eyes.

Brilliant!

Hope you and your kids enjoy eskimo football for decades to come!!

vCash

that is way cool. I took my 8 year old daughter to the Winnipeg game and WE both had a blast, literally. She really wanted a big yellow horn, and when we were standing in line, she told me to buy a bell... hahhaa I told no, because Ill end up being way too loud with it..... any ways she started cheering louder and louder as the game went on (just like dad does!!!!) sure we lost but that time we had together was priceless. its nice to know that her favourite part of the evening was not just the ride on the LRT... so yeah good on you and your boys....I've got her groomed on Hockey, Football and Drag Racing...now if I can just get her to be the drummer in a rock band......lol...very proud of her and grateful for our time we always have together.........GO ESKS

vCash

Glad to hear this and wanted to give it a bump in what has been a pretty negative two months.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

It is much more entertaining when you can share your passion for the game with your kids. My daughter, now 13, has been getting slowly indoctrinated to the Eskimos way. With the exception of the 6 weeks she spent with me in Edmonton last summer, where we caught a few games, she has always lived in Ottawa. She wears green and gold proudly, even though she takes heat for it here. She will be with me, behind the bench when the Esks hit the field on Saturday.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Parker took in his first game at 10 days old and hasn't missed many since...he's dissapointed by a few things these days. Obviously us not winning as often. Barely ever seeing the mascots interacting with ANYONE... The golf cart firetruck made him ask if they shrunk the old one in the dryer... Aside from "Old Town Road" he thinks the music is garbage. This is also a kid that loves AC/DC, Motley Crue and Foo Fighters. Having played ball for a few years he does like watching the game now more because he understands what the players are supposed to be doing and calls out stuff like "Holding? Hello???". He makes noise and would like to see more halftime stuff that's actually entertaining like the tumbling flipping kids they had a few years ago or the agility dogs.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    It is much more entertaining when you can share your passion for the game with your kids. My daughter, now 13, has been getting slowly indoctrinated to the Eskimos way. With the exception of the 6 weeks she spent with me in Edmonton last summer, where we caught a few games, she has always lived in Ottawa. She wears green and gold proudly, even though she takes heat for it here. She will be with me, behind the bench when the Esks hit the field on Saturday.
    #Raisingthemright

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Parker took in his first game at 10 days old and hasn't missed many since...he's dissapointed by a few things these days. Obviously us not winning as often. Barely ever seeing the mascots interacting with ANYONE... The golf cart firetruck made him ask if they shrunk the old one in the dryer... Aside from "Old Town Road" he thinks the music is garbage. This is also a kid that loves AC/DC, Motley Crue and Foo Fighters. Having played ball for a few years he does like watching the game now more because he understands what the players are supposed to be doing and calls out stuff like "Holding? Hello???". He makes noise and would like to see more halftime stuff that's actually entertaining like the tumbling flipping kids they had a few years ago or the agility dogs.
    LOL let him know that comment made your message board friend choke on his coffee in laughter.
    We have some people on this board when they talk about their kids you can tell they're good parents with lots of love - you, Q, PDO, etc. That gives me the warm fuzzies so I appreciate everyone on this thread contributing =)
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    #Raisingthemright

- - - Updated - - -

LOL let him know that comment made your message board friend choke on his coffee in laughter.
    We have some people on this board when they talk about their kids you can tell they're good parents with lots of love - you, Q, PDO, etc. That gives me the warm fuzzies so I appreciate everyone on this thread contributing =)
    Thanks! That does mean a lot to me.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

What an excellent thread.

Way way back ... my Dad took me to a few Esk games at Clarke Stadium. The good feelings, and memories, stuck with me. Pretty much cemented me early on as an Esk fan.

Here in Ottawa, I alternate taking my daughter (age 10) and son (seven) to Redblack games. They are Ottawa kids and, thus, Redblack fans. My son gets right into the games, wants to know things and cheers enthusiastically with the crowd. My daughter, not as enthusiastic about the game, is nonetheless keen on going. They both are pleased with the "snacks"; hotdogs, lemonade, poutine, pizza, popcorn ....

Previous years I took them each to one game. This is the first year that they each wanted to go as often as they could.

I am very very happy that my children enjoy the outings, and are competitive about going. Hopefully they will remember these times as fondly as I remember those with my Dad.
    Last edited by Moon1; 09-23-2019 at 08:12 PM.

vCash

Thanks for sharing some of your stories guys! It’s just really hit me this year as to how much it’s changed for me. And you know, we have talked on here at length about the game day experience, and while I agree that the in game experience isn’t what it used to be, if you take the time to search out the rest of the game day experience pre and post game the Esks are doing a pretty good job.

Another thing I should point out too is the fans who sit in our section. Most have been there since before I got up there in ‘98, but they have all been so great about including my kids in the excitement! They are always the first ones getting high fives after a big play and there’s almost always snacks and treats being shared, and my boys are always good about offering their treats as well.

My dad took me to a quite a few games when I was a kid, but he wasn’t, and really still isn’t interested in doing anything other than the game. And I understand that point as well, but I am pretty glad that I’ve decided to find more of the fun things going on around the game.

vCash

I started taking my little guy when he was around 2. We had season seats in the front row, where he could watch the mascots and cheerleaders. After a few years and getting him hooked on the game we moved up so we had a better vantage point for the game but our traditions stayed the same. We would enjoy pizza and a pop while watching the players warm up, while we were doing that we would predict the score of the game and who was going to get the most yards, it was a lot of fun and added a new dimension to the game.

Now that we live on Vancouver island and cannot go to the games anymore, we both miss it and speak fondly of our time together, even if the little sh$t is taller than me now.
    #PizStrong