Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Esks vs Redblacks GDT

vCash

Re: Esks vs Redblacks GDT

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Luckiest win of the season playing the worst team in the CFL who can't decide who their starting QB should be for any game. No confidence in this team right now, even WITH Harris back in.

I feel for the REDBLACKS fans right now. That is a bad team who we BARELY beat, even with a back-up QB.

I'm scared to watch the bloodbath that'll be the game against Hamilton this coming Friday.
    Next game could be rough, or...
    The team seems to have picked up a habit of matching the level of who they are playing. The previous week, they nearly caught the cats. I'm hopeful the win will give them the confidence that if the game is tight, they can pull it out.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I must be the only one who thinks that was a TD catch. The ball was stationary pinned by his arm and a defenders and his forearm and hand where under it when it hit the ground - and the ball still didnt move.
    I'm with you, the ground didn't assist in making the catch at all. He has it clearly wrapped and is in full control when he hits the ground.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Next game could be rough, or...
    The team seems to have picked up a habit of matching the level of who they are playing. The previous week, they nearly caught the cats. I'm hopeful the win will give them the confidence that if the game is tight, they can pull it out.
    Yet we still haven't beat a team above .500 this year...
    I'm not counting on a win this Friday.

vCash

Yet we still haven't beat a team above .500 this year...
    I'm not counting on a win this Friday.
    I don't expect them to win at all against Hamilton. I expected the Ticats- Bombers game to be fairly close just because the Bombers have a real good defense and special teams plus Harris and their running game and it was in Winnipeg. The Ticats beat the hell out of the Bombers. Where as the Esks barely beat Ottawa who's QB's are brutal.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Frustrating game for sure and without a doubt NOT a confidence builder, at least in my opinion. Not going to win much with Kilgor behind center as for every good throw, he seems to have 2 bad ones. At least if he was mobile, he could gut out a couple of drives but he isn't, making it even harder on himself. As much as I would love to see them give Briscoe the 1st team reps this week and to roll with him against Hammy, that would be throwing him to the wolves and likely not a good move for his development.

One thing that surprised me so far this year is the lack of scores from our D, when I saw how aggressive we were going to be playing, I figured we would put up a score or two at least. If we are going to be Hammy, we are going to have to convert a couple of those Evans gifts into pick sixes, at least IMO.

But like Q always says, stats are for losers and the only thing that matters is W's and as ugly as this one was, we still got the W.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I'm with you, the ground didn't assist in making the catch at all. He has it clearly wrapped and is in full control when he hits the ground.
    He has possession when knocked out of the end zone. To me that is enough. You see ball carriers reach the ball over the goal line and then lose possession and it's ruled a TD so I don't see what the problem is here. That TSN announcer should have been wearing a red & black plaid shirt . There were at least three occasions where he disputed the ruling on the field that favored the Esks.

On the replay you see Collins wide open on about the 10 yd line and Kilgore decides to go to the back of the end zone into double coverage. Poor decision that worked out for us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post

But like Q always says, stats are for losers and the only thing that matters is W's and as ugly as this one was, we still got the W.
    Hey, now you are finally getting it!! Just win. Ugly wins count the same in the standings as beat down wins. Just win.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Luckiest win of the season playing the worst team in the CFL who can't decide who their starting QB should be for any game. No confidence in this team right now, even WITH Harris back in.

I feel for the REDBLACKS fans right now. That is a bad team who we BARELY beat, even with a back-up QB.

I'm scared to watch the bloodbath that'll be the game against Hamilton this coming Friday.
    My opinion:
    Their coach has decided. Unfortunately the GM decided differently.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 09-30-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Typos!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Hey, now you are finally getting it!! Just win. Ugly wins count the same in the standings as beat down wins. Just win.
    That being said, you shouldn't have anything to complain about as they won.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Esk's have 4 games left. They MIGHT beat BC at home but Lions have been improving and Esks going other way. Little chance they beat Hamilton or 2 against Riders. Best outcome I can see is them losing to Montreal in Eastern semi. Not sure anyone could be happy with a 4 th place finish in the West! Wow it's tough being a pro sports fan in E town!!!!! (especially after the amazing results we used to see in both Football and Hockey!!!)

vCash

That being said, you shouldn't have anything to complain about as they won.
    And I didn't complain. I said something very similar to what you said. I didn't come away with any sort of confidence, if anything it has me more worried but I will take the win and run.

vCash

Not much to say that hasn't been said. Bad win against an even worse team, but at least they won and now are in a pretty good position to get a playoff game.

This team's only hope this week is that Hamilton takes it easy. They've now clinched 1st (likely 1st overall even), so the game is meaningless to them and they are going onto a bye the week after. It's easily a game they could overlook.

Still going to watch and cheer though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Not much to say that hasn't been said. Bad win against an even worse team, but at least they won and now are in a pretty good position to get a playoff game.

This team's only hope this week is that Hamilton takes it easy. They've now clinched 1st (likely 1st overall even), so the game is meaningless to them and they are going onto a bye the week after. It's easily a game they could overlook.

Still going to watch and cheer though.
    Mathematically the Ticats havenít clinched. Montreal can get to 12 wins and Hamilton currently has 11.

Obviously they will clinch in a week or two but havenít done it quite yet.

vCash

And I didn't complain. I said something very similar to what you said. I didn't come away with any sort of confidence, if anything it has me more worried but I will take the win and run.
    Kinda did though

They win a game they needed but to beat a really bad team they needed a bad call by the refs and an injury to do it.
    This quote basically says, they never won by their own merits.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Mathematically the Ticats haven’t clinched. Montreal can get to 12 wins and Hamilton currently has 11.

Obviously they will clinch in a week or two but haven’t done it quite yet.
    Ah. My bad for looking at the playoff odds vs. the stats. They are at 96% odds for first overall, was thinking the 4% against was for the Western teams 4 points back rather the Als who are 8 points back.

vCash

I don't think the Smith TD should have counted. Looked like it pretty clearly touched the ground. The Esks got a gift IMO. If Davis doesn't go down, I don't know if the Esks win. I'd like to think so but he was feeling it.

I'll take the win but this game makes me even less confident with this team. They win a game they needed but to beat a really bad team they needed a bad call by the refs and an injury to do it.

So what was the really bad call?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    So what was the really bad call?
    I think they got gifted a TD, the Smith TD. He didn't have a good handle on the ball and it clearly touched the ground. But the bounce went the Esks way so I will take it.

vCash

It was an obvious PI that didn't get called perhaps because they were calling it a catch. I will take the win too.

I've seen enough CFL football to know that the games that you expect to be blowouts going in can easily end up going the other way, or at least be close games. Esks tend to hang around in games for the most part this year no matter who they're playing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I've seen enough CFL football to know that the games that you expect to be blowouts going in can easily end up going the other way, or at least be close games. Esks tend to hang around in games for the most part this year no matter who they're playing.
    We shall see. They BARELY beat a bad team on the road. And we're going into Hamilton.

Maybe spending the week out there will help but Hamilton is way too good right now.

vCash

We shall see. They BARELY beat a bad team on the road. And we're going into Hamilton.

Maybe spending the week out there will help but Hamilton is way too good right now.
    they also barely lost to the team with the best record overall with the same lineup so you never know. That being said, I'm expecting Hamilton to win but I'm not saying its impossible for us to beat them.
    #PizStrong

They barley beat Ottawa at home earlier this year too when things were going good, that team seems to match up well against us this year for whatever reason. Hamilton's hot right now, but we played them close save for a few broken coverage's early in the game which shouldn't happen again this time with the secondary having a couple of games together under their belt.

I'm not confident enough in Kilgore to say they're likely to go in there and win, but I'd be a bit surprised if they're blown out.

vCash

they also barely lost to the team with the best record overall with the same lineup so you never know. That being said, I'm expecting Hamilton to win but I'm not saying its impossible for us to beat them.
    I think the Ticats just flat out took their foot off the gas in their last game against the Esks. It was pretty easy for them in the first half. The let up, allowed the Esks to come back. Then when they needed it, drove the field pretty easily to get into position for the winning field goal.

- - - Updated - - -

They barley beat Ottawa at home earlier this year too when things were going good, that team seems to match up well against us this year for whatever reason. Hamilton's hot right now, but we played them close save for a few broken coverage's early in the game which shouldn't happen again this time with the secondary having a couple of games together under their belt.

I'm not confident enough in Kilgore to say they're likely to go in there and win, but I'd be a bit surprised if they're blown out.
    I am not confident in Kilgore but the defense especially the secondary concerns me big time. Ottawa was able to get some big plays against the Esks and they have lousy QB's.

vCash

I think the Ticats just flat out took their foot off the gas in their last game against the Esks. It was pretty easy for them in the first half. The let up, allowed the Esks to come back. Then when they needed it, drove the field pretty easily to get into position for the winning field goal.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not confident in Kilgore but the defense especially the secondary concerns me big time. Ottawa was able to get some big plays against the Esks and they have lousy QB's.
    So to get this straight you are saying we got lucky to win against Ottawa cause of a blown call and an injury and are also not giving us any credit for a comeback and a narrow loss against the TiCats?
    #PizStrong

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not too worried about the secondary, they've had a few coverage busts lately but that can easily be attributed to all the combination changes in personal back there, much like the OL, the secondary is one of the last places you want to be playing musical chairs but they've been forced to do that, hopefully the guys that are there now get a few games to settle in and gel together. We're still the top pass defense team in the league despite all the shuffling that's gone on.

This team needs what they haven't had for the last 6 games, a healthy Trevor Harris.

vCash

Thorpe knows maas better than any other dc.. otta always play us well....

vCash

Don't bet the house on that. I think we get blown out.

vCash

Don't bet the house on that. I think we get blown out.
    Oh I won't be but also won't say that there isn't a chance.
    #PizStrong

vCash

They LOST the Ticats game. They need to win games and they lost the game. Spin it anyway you want , they lost the game. Is it nice they came back. Sure. But they lost. They came out flat in the first half and they lost the game.

They go into the Ottawa game desperate for a win. They had lost 4 games in a row. Ottawa is one of the worst teams in the league this season. One can argue they don't have a QB. You'd think given how the Esks sputtered against the Cats, the Esks as a team would be fired up and come out firing. The Esks on paper even without Harris are a better team than Ottawa. So they should have been able to beat Ottawa. Maybe not blow out Ottawa without Harris but at least look like the better team. It took EVERYTHING the Esks had to beat Ottawa. This game was up for grabs for the whole game. The Esks winning TD was not a no doubt call. In fact most of the panel and the commentators thought it wasn't a TD. I as a die hard Esks fan while I am very happy we got the call, if it was Ottawa, I would be LIVID because if I am being honest, I didn't think it was a TD because he didn't have control and the ball hit the ground. David came in and was moving the ball then he got hurt. I do not know if he could have engineered a game winning drive. All I know is in a game where the Esks are better in pretty much every aspect, they barely won that game. I am extremely happy they won the game because it was a MUST WIN but I came away with zero confidence that this team has it figured out and cane put up a good fight against the Ticats.

Maybe you feel differently and that is totally fine but after a 4 games losing streak and then barely beating a really bad football team, I don't feel overly good about where the Esks are at right now.

vCash

They LOST the Ticats game. They need to win games and they lost the game. Spin it anyway you want , they lost the game. Is it nice they came back. Sure. But they lost. They came out flat in the first half and they lost the game.

They go into the Ottawa game desperate for a win. They had lost 4 games in a row. Ottawa is one of the worst teams in the league this season. One can argue they don't have a QB. You'd think given how the Esks sputtered against the Cats, the Esks as a team would be fired up and come out firing. The Esks on paper even without Harris are a better team than Ottawa. So they should have been able to beat Ottawa. Maybe not blow out Ottawa without Harris but at least look like the better team. It took EVERYTHING the Esks had to beat Ottawa. This game was up for grabs for the whole game. The Esks winning TD was not a no doubt call. In fact most of the panel and the commentators thought it wasn't a TD. I as a die hard Esks fan while I am very happy we got the call, if it was Ottawa, I would be LIVID because if I am being honest, I didn't think it was a TD because he didn't have control and the ball hit the ground. David came in and was moving the ball then he got hurt. I do not know if he could have engineered a game winning drive. All I know is in a game where the Esks are better in pretty much every aspect, they barely won that game. I am extremely happy they won the game because it was a MUST WIN but I came away with zero confidence that this team has it figured out and cane put up a good fight against the Ticats.

Maybe you feel differently and that is totally fine but after a 4 games losing streak and then barely beating a really bad football team, I don't feel overly good about where the Esks are at right now.
    On the highlighted part we agree but you can't discount a win as you always say a W is a W doesn't matter how you get it or what the stats say.

In regards to the Smith catch (and this is a serious question as I don't know the answer) Is there a time limit on how long you have to hold onto the ball after coming down with it in the endzone? The reason I ask is Smith went up for the ball, pulled it into his body and got both feet down and the ball never moved. After he falls to the ground, the ball still doesn't move but slightly touches the ground. Is the play not over when he has control of the ball in the end zone?
    #PizStrong