Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

I watched only the last minute or so of the first half and most of the 4th quarter (have better things to do than to watch this pathetic team, which I never thought I'd say), but from the bit I saw it appeared to me that this team has quit. Sad days if true. On a recent thread (after the LD Classic loss?) a few commentators made good points about why Maas should not be fired, but if the team has quit on him then he needs to go
    "If you want peace, prepare for war.” Flavius Vegetius Renatus (Roman general) 400 AD

vCash

Seriously think Maas, Kilgore and a few db's (Money Hunter) will not be around next season if management is smart.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    As an ex-returner/receiver it drives me batsh!t crazy how brutal our guys are on Special Teams.

Interesting to note: The offences and defences of each team had the same number of penalties called and accepted against them, 2 per unit. However, Edmonton special teams had six penalties against and Hamilton had zero. The leading factor in determining outcome of games this year is field position to start a drive. That is why Edmonton can have more time of possession without the points to show for it.

That is probably the biggest reason that they Hamilton were able to score quickly and often. That and the Eskimo defence was brutal against the run. Embarrassingly bad!

Hamilton is the CFL's best coached team. The must be favourites to Win the Grey Cup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Interesting to note: The offences and defences of each team had the same number of penalties called and accepted against them, 2 per unit. However, Edmonton special teams had six penalties against and Hamilton had zero. The leading factor in determining outcome of games this year is field position to start a drive. That is why Edmonton can have more time of possession without the points to show for it.

That is probably the biggest reason that they Hamilton were able to score quickly and often. That and the Eskimo defence was brutal against the run. Embarrassingly bad!

Hamilton is the CFL's best coached team. The must be favourites to Win the Grey Cup.
    I’ll be stunned if they aren’t at the Grey Cup but I’m expecting their opponent to be the Stamps and I’m not betting against them at home.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    What is this other option at QB other than Kilgore?

I am not Maas lover but the coach is in charge of coaching the players his GM gives him is he not?
    I would have rather watched Briscoe get playing time even if we lost, then watch Killgore **** the bed over and over and over again.

vCash

I'm just hoping it's not the Stamps.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Minor point...but...Hamilton is 16 of 21 on 2-point converts. That's 32 points on 21 tries.

How many points have the Esks got on their last 21 converts (almost entirely 1 point attempts)?

Simple math, guys.
    Yep, going into this week, teams as a whole are averaging .931 points per kick convert and 1.138 per 2 point convert.

In a sport where the entire goal is outscoring your opponent, it is completely baffling that so many coaches haven’t figured this out. Edmonton and Winnipeg had only 1 - 2 point attempt going into this week.

vCash

Special teams play a huge role in the CFL. As I mentioned above. I often wonder how much do we actually spend time working on returns and blocking for returns? It certainly looks like we dont coach the players for it with all the endless penalties and no blockers on most returns. And do remember... Maas once said he would be happy with just falling forward just as long as we secure the ball. (paraphrasing)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I watched only the last minute or so of the first half and most of the 4th quarter (have better things to do than to watch this pathetic team, which I never thought I'd say), but from the bit I saw it appeared to me that this team has quit. Sad days if true. On a recent thread (after the LD Classic loss?) a few commentators made good points about why Maas should not be fired, but if the team has quit on him then he needs to go
    I envy you
    In Rod we trust

vCash

- receivers are mediocre, especially the Canadians
    - O line is mediocre
    - front 7 are good at getting pressure but bad at stopping the run
    - the interior of our d line gets pushed. Moore is only 265. Why is he a DT? They are usually 300.... why is Charles not playing ?
    - Harris and Maas’ offence makes the receivers look better than they are
    - Kilgore is not good enough to be a backup. If Harris doesn’t come back I don’t think we will win another game. But if he does we could beat Montreal. Harris is excellent and the team started playing poorly when he got
    Injured against Winnipeg and other teams figured out we can’t stop the run
    - defensive backs are below average
    - kickers are good
    - return game would be better if he didn’t get a holding call every second return
    - cover teams are poor... for like the fourth season in a row

Maas is the OC and Hc. The offence with Harris in is very good. The issues with the red zone in my opinion were more about lack of personnel than scheme or play calling. RC jr is a fourth receiver , not a top 3. Daniels and Ellingson are legit for sure but others teams focus on them and our other 3 arent good enough.

The defence started strong but teams that can run, do ; too easily .
    Orange is not good so his injury didn’t hurt. hunter starting hurts. Would rather play Walker or find somebody new.
    Last edited by mattdunigan; 10-04-2019 at 10:51 PM.

vCash

Not many positives after that..

Hamilton looked great.. that’s about it..

Putting this one to bed and not even talking about it..

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm just hoping it's not the Stamps.
    The stamps are barely winning games ,If I'm a betting man I'm going with
    Riders-Tiger cats Grey Cup ,the way Cody and the riders are playing it would not surprise me to see them win it all.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Harris is only good between the 20's as he can't put the ball in the end zone.All of your other points are bang on ,I'd get rid of Unamba,Orange ,Hunter ,I would play Betts way more in place of Usher as he seems to take At least one roughing the passer calls a game penalty,I would replace Gable and I'd seriously look at replacing Sir Vincent Rogers as he will be a year older at 32 or 33 and has not played a down this season and collecting 250,000 even tho it doesn't count against the cap I don't think,I'd start Briscoe the remaining games until Harris gets back (if he does) and I would never bring back Kilgore as a back up next year.Jason Maas would NOT be back next year if that is possible with this stupid salary cap on coaching staffs,I'd look into bringing in Lapo from Winnipeg
    Last edited by dealerd; 10-05-2019 at 06:53 AM.

vCash

My bold predication of about 6 weeks ago that the Esks were going to win the cup is looking rather weak about now.

vCash

I predicted 8-10 around then. Wish I'd been wrong.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    - receivers are mediocre, especially the Canadians
    - O line is mediocre
    - front 7 are good at getting pressure but bad at stopping the run
    - the interior of our d line gets pushed. Moore is only 265. Why is he a DT? They are usually 300.... why is Charles not playing ?
    - Harris and Maas’ offence makes the receivers look better than they are
    - Kilgore is not good enough to be a backup. If Harris doesn’t come back I don’t think we will win another game. But if he does we could beat Montreal. Harris is excellent and the team started playing poorly when he got
    Injured against Winnipeg and other teams figured out we can’t stop the run
    - defensive backs are below average
    - kickers are good
    - return game would be better if he didn’t get a holding call every second return
    - cover teams are poor... for like the fourth season in a row

Maas is the OC and Hc. The offence with Harris in is very good. The issues with the red zone in my opinion were more about lack of personnel than scheme or play calling. RC jr is a fourth receiver , not a top 3. Daniels and Ellingson are legit for sure but others teams focus on them and our other 3 arent good enough.

The defence started strong but teams that can run, do ; too easily .
    Orange is not good so his injury didn’t hurt. hunter starting hurts. Would rather play Walker or find somebody new.
    I agree with a lot of this. I have said it multiple times, the Esks lack a big play receiver. They had Williams, Walker and Mitchell and replaced them with Ellingston and Daniels and Collins. That's a step down. Case in point. Kilgore threw up a deep ball for Ellingston. He got his hands on it, looked like he had it but couldn't hold on. Williams and Walker would have come up with that catch. Everyone raved about the Esks offseason. I think they did pretty good, they have a decent team on paper but it's not a championship team. They will be lucky to get to .500 this season.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

That deep ball not caught was by Collins

He has decent speed but doesn’t catch well in traffic , drops too many catchable balles to be considered a good receiver

vCash

So didn't participate in the forum second half as we had company for supper. Had the game on in the background. Previous posters have done a good job listing all the deficiencies in this roster (and I believe coaching staff as well) It really highlights how poor an organization the Esks have become. They used to be the class of the league. Stamps/Cats now have best off field management.

Teams in the CFL can be turned around quickly but not sure we have the people in place to make the necessary changes (and there are lots of them!) Truly believe Maas has to go as a first step.. As a lifetime Edmonton resident who has watched this team for over 45 years it is a pretty sad state of affairs!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    The stamps are barely winning games ,If I'm a betting man I'm going with
    Riders-Tiger cats Grey Cup ,the way Cody and the riders are playing it would not surprise me to see them win it all.
    Uggghhh...heaven help us if that happens
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

I agree with a lot of this. I have said it multiple times, the Esks lack a big play receiver. They had Williams, Walker and Mitchell and replaced them with Ellingston and Daniels and Collins. That's a step down. Case in point. Kilgore threw up a deep ball for Ellingston. He got his hands on it, looked like he had it but couldn't hold on. Williams and Walker would have come up with that catch. Everyone raved about the Esks offseason. I think they did pretty good, they have a decent team on paper but it's not a championship team. They will be lucky to get to .500 this season.
    IMO Williams or Walker wouldn't have come up with that catch either. Williams maybe as he can get vertical more than Walker and Ellingston. Reason why I dont feel they would either is because of the great play by the defender who also had his hand on the ball

vCash

That is a good point on Collins.. he should have had that

Our first qtr wasn’t bad offensively and gable takes his share but he ran hard yesterday until he went out... really hard.. I respect that..

Kilgore showed flashes but also got SCHOOLED by hammys zone looks...

I can live with Kilgore taking the lumps the rest of the way IF we can get in the playoffs and IF it means Harris is fit for the east semi

Gotta ride this wave.... good or bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    IMO Williams or Walker wouldn't have come up with that catch either. Williams maybe as he can get vertical more than Walker and Ellingston. Reason why I dont feel they would either is because of the great play by the defender who also had his hand on the ball

Z catches that...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Gotta ride this wave.... good or bad.
    What other choice is there?

Things can change pretty quickly in the CFL though. There have been a couple of sub-.500 teams who've won the GC, one quite recently. Still hope.

Things can change pretty quickly in the CFL though. There have been a couple of sub-.500 teams who've won the GC, one quite recently. Still hope.
    If Harris is healthy for playoffs we have a chance. Although Montreal and Hammy are pretty hot right now.

vCash

Exactly.. I was trying to put a positive mindset on it.... It can get ugly but we need just 1 more win or gc loss

For instance, if bc lost to night ( they won't.. It's Toronto ) I'd be more than happy to let Kilgore have it ..... Keep Harris really healthy for Montreal .......

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    If Harris is healthy for playoffs we have a chance. Although Montreal and Hammy are pretty hot right now.
    Montreal are more opportunistic than good... But I would love to goto to Montreal with a healthy #7

vCash

Does
    Anybody know what injury Harris actually has? And when he will be back? Team not saying much

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    Does
    Anybody know what injury Harris actually has? And when he will be back? Team not saying much
    From what I heard it is a nerve injury to his throwing hand that makes it numb and hard to hold on to the ball.
    Last edited by widowmaker; 10-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.

vCash

What's really killing the Esks is inability to beat the better clubs. If the playoffs started today they'd go in with a 6-0 record against non-playoff teams while only 1-8 versus the other playoff squads. But as they say it's a whole new season. Usually sub. 500 teams that get to the GC get a confidence boosting win or two in the final couple of games. I recall I think in 2005 the Esks were floundering around late in the season looking ripe for a fast playoff exit. However they drew a bad Rider team in the season finale. They got the win and with it restored their confidence and rode that to Grey Cup champagne. If Edmonton can pick up a couple wins in the final three games it could right the ship and get them going in the right direction.

vCash

Yup, absolutely agree. It's going to take a couple of serious trend changers for the Esks to have any success in the playoffs. (That one win against a playoff team was in the first game against the Pipkin-led Als in disarray, so it really doesn't count.)

But if Harris can come back and couple of other players stirring the pot, well...probably not, but not definitely not

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I envy you
    Some of us watched the slaughter in person. I left after the last pick 6, I probably should have left at the end of the 3rd.

At least there was something a fan of the league could cheer about, seeing Rob Hitchcock being put on the Ti-Cats wall of honour at half-time (and watch highlights of the Stamps losing the '99 Grey Cup).
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vale View Post
    Some of us watched the slaughter in person. I left after the last pick 6, I probably should have left at the end of the 3rd.

At least there was something a fan of the league could cheer about, seeing Rob Hitchcock being put on the Ti-Cats wall of honour at half-time (and watch highlights of the Stamps losing the '99 Grey Cup).
    yeah he was a heck of a player
    In Rod we trust