Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't think football and hockey are even close to being the same other than they are team sports. The QB is responsible for handling the ball at least what, for half the game? So he has a HUGE impact on what your team does. Your Oline can block a play perfectly, your receivers run the right route and get open but if your QB doesn't make the right read or throw the ball properly, the play is dead. McDavid, the best player in the world is on for what 1/3 the game and he's not on every line. The QB is on for every single offensive play minus maybe a couple of short yardage plays. If he is having a bad night or isn't good enough, the offense will struggle to score. If the offense struggles to score then that puts pressure of the defense, they have to play longer, they get tired and give up more points. If McDavid's line doesn't score, there are 3 other lines plus 3 defense pairings who could score a goal.

This will be the second year in a row where MBT and Franklin have been the Argo's QB. Last year they won 4 games, this year they might win 4 games. Different coaches, same QB's.
    Agreed that hockey and football are different but if you compare the goalie to the QB you'll see some similarities. Like a goaltender I think the QB gets to much of the praise as well as to much of the blame. If a play breaks down it could be a coverage problem (Running back made the wrong read, not allowing the QB to execute the play or Oline gets outright beat), the receiver ran the wrong route (was supposed to run an out so the QB throws to the spot and the receiver is 10 yards up field and the balls gets picked), it could be poor play design or the other team guessing right on a screen. So many variables go into team success. Another example of this is Mike Reilly, who you've said is the best QB in the league is 5-10 this year, does this mean he's terrible or is it something else maybe?
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Agreed that hockey and football are different but if you compare the goalie to the QB you'll see some similarities. Like a goaltender I think the QB gets to much of the praise as well as to much of the blame. If a play breaks down it could be a coverage problem (Running back made the wrong read, not allowing the QB to execute the play or Oline gets outright beat), the receiver ran the wrong route (was supposed to run an out so the QB throws to the spot and the receiver is 10 yards up field and the balls gets picked), it could be poor play design or the other team guessing right on a screen. So many variables go into team success. Another example of this is Mike Reilly, who you've said is the best QB in the league is 5-10 this year, does this mean he's terrible or is it something else maybe?
    Wow, you really like to argue and want to really be right all the time don't you.

There is nothing you can say that is going to convince me that MBT or Franklin are good starting QB's. The 2 of them have been the Argo's QB for 2 years now and the teams record is lousy for 2 years in a row. They have brought in different players, coaches and coordinators and the team is still lousy. Is it completely their fault? Probably not. But if you traded Harris for MBT or Franklin or both, I am pretty confident that the Argos would be a lot better of a team if they had Harris and I would very much doubt the Esks would be a playoff team with MBT or Franklin as their starter.

But believe what you want. I have invested way more time than I should have debating the merits of the Argos QB's. I would be very surprised if there was too many people in this site who would back up your position. Could I see those 2 guys on a team next year as a back up? Maybe but I have my doubts that they would be starters on most teams.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Wow, you really like to argue and want to really be right all the time don't you.

There is nothing you can say that is going to convince me that MBT or Franklin are good starting QB's. The 2 of them have been the Argo's QB for 2 years now and the teams record is lousy for 2 years in a row. They have brought in different players, coaches and coordinators and the team is still lousy. Is it completely their fault? Probably not. But if you traded Harris for MBT or Franklin or both, I am pretty confident that the Argos would be a lot better of a team if they had Harris and I would very much doubt the Esks would be a playoff team with MBT or Franklin as their starter.

But believe what you want. I have invested way more time than I should have debating the merits of the Argos QB's. I would be very surprised if there was too many people in this site who would back up your position. Could I see those 2 guys on a team next year as a back up? Maybe but I have my doubts that they would be starters on most teams.
    reread my posts without your word twisting mentality and I think you'll find I regularly admit when I'm wrong and actually have no problem admitting it. In fact my mantra is that the only people who don't make mistakes are those not doing anything or those lying to you.

I truly hope you have a great day Q
    #PizStrong