Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Hammy - this could get ugly

Time for Briscoe sit Kilgore
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Time for Briscoe sit Kilgore
    Not this week...

If you think Kilgore is struggling briscoe will get eaten alive he’s nowhere near ready to go in..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Not this week...

If you think Kilgore is struggling briscoe will get eaten alive he’s nowhere near ready to go in..
    Didn't you say this would be a close game? I won't take betting advice from you

As for playing Briscoe, what could it hurt? Ricky Ray came in to a game pretty raw and look what happened. Kilgore is awful. Why not try something different?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

As for playing Briscoe, what could it hurt? Ricky Ray came in to a game pretty raw and look what happened. Kilgore is awful. Why not try something different?
    I'm with you on this one, teams have enough tape on Kilgore to know that his deep ball isn't much of a threat and will continue to expose the short to mid range stuff. There isn't any film on Briscoe and teams have had a lot of success trotting guys out there in their first start.

That being said we know it isn't going to happen so might as well hope for a Harris miracle.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

I did... lol

It was not...

RR was the exception not the norm..

They only bit of film I have see. Of briscoe from pre season he’s is green... and that doesn’t bode well..

As for Kilgore... imho and it’s just that..,He gets it.. on film and on pad and paper he knows the coverage he knows the read, he makes the checks.. he leads the offence.. this time last year he was a coach in the u.s so he’s football smart. it’s post snap where the issues lie.. arm strength is one.. but he has thrown enough footballs where sometimes he's on point sometimes he’s no where near... no one is saying he’s mike reilly he can’t chuck it.. but he can make first downs..

But u see defences are smart.. they know that if you throw different looks at qbs stuff he’s prob not prepared for..?hes gonna make the wrong reads and poor throws.. stuff that qbs who have 30 games plus can get past because by year 2 you have seen it all... guys with less time their head gets cloudy even though if you ask him when he comes to the sideline.. what he saw.. he will tell u spot on.. it’s tough for qbs..

Kilgore is 1 and 2 here ( how many games has he started in the cfl total? 6? ) prob had minimal reps in scout and 1st team periods up until 3 weeks ago.. now we’re asking him to lead.. its very rarely straight forward.. guys like Dane Evans have been in the system longer they have played some here and there and hopefully it shows, when they get a chance..

Kilgore is struggling you think throwing briscoe out there now with the same issues Kilgore has lake of 1st team reps, chemistry etc etc is gonna bode well in week 17? I very much doubt it.. hey I’m not the oracle I’m often wrong.. I just speak my truth and my opinion..

With that said I don’t think Kilgore should becback next year... I doubt he will anyways.. I’m almost certain as much as I’m a fan of maas he will be gone in December as well. If we lose out which we might.. it will seal his fate..

Then the games will begin again..

vCash

I would start Kilgore as he has the most experience and gives you a better chance to win than a raw rookie but if I am Maas, I wouldn't belong to change things up if things aren't going well.

IN all honesty, I am not confident the Esks win against the Lions. The Lions are playing well, Reilly is heating up and it's amazing what any offense can do if the QB isn't running for his life every play. IMO, I have to think Reilly would like nothing more than to beat his old team on home field.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I would start Kilgore as he has the most experience and gives you a better chance to win than a raw rookie but if I am Maas, I wouldn't belong to change things up if things aren't going well.

IN all honesty, I am not confident the Esks win against the Lions. The Lions are playing well, Reilly is heating up and it's amazing what any offense can do if the QB isn't running for his life every play. IMO, I have to think Reilly would like nothing more than to beat his old team on home field.
    If I had money I def wouldn’t bet it on us..

Luckily we just need bc to lose 1 more and I think they will regardless of beating us or not. Lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Iíd lose faith too if I had to watch Kilgore. Kilgore is likely the weakest QB in Eskimo history.
    Clearly you haven't watched many of the QBs we've had through here. Even in our time, there have been worse, and we weren't around to see the atrocious 1960s QBs that fans like pizmo and turftoe27 suffered through, among others.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I wouldn't have confidence in us to be a peewee football team coached by corky the cat right now....mind you I think we'd still beat Ott or Tor....

I would have a package ready for Briscoe even if they need to pull Kilgore off a few plays and calm him down.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think if you are considering Kilgore to be on a short leash you better decide now and get Briscoe some first team looks this week in practice. As much as cmbuk is most likely right about dropping him in there right now, he'll really be up against it should he be put in without any first team practice reps.

IMO this is all for not as there is next to no chance Maas goes with Briscoe and the only way we win this is if Harris is back..... at least thats the way I feel today anyways.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Clearly you haven't watched many of the QBs we've had through here. Even in our time, there have been worse, and we weren't around to see the atrocious 1960s QBs that fans like pizmo and turftoe27 suffered through, among others.
    Lefors was terrible, jyles ,Joseph, even Nichols was raw here.. same for reilly he had to take his lumps.. 13 wasn’t a great year

And that’s only going back just over a decade...

But that Joseph at qb period was bloody horrible..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Lefors was terrible, jyles ,Joseph, even Nichols was raw here.. same for reilly he had to take his lumps.. 13 wasn’t a great year

And that’s only going back just over a decade...

But that Joseph at qb period was bloody horrible..
    Only thing Lefors had going for him football wise, was a great jersey number!! Great guy off the field and still talk to him to this day, but dang...just wasn't the answer we were looking for.
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

I have said it before, I think this offense lacks play makers at receiver. I think they rely too heavily on the QB to make all the plays. Your QB of course needs to be good to win but I don't see a receiving core that is capable of winning a lot of 50-50 balls or just flat out making a play. i.e getting open in tight coverage or making a big catch in traffic or in coverage. It's very reliant on the QB making every single throw. If he isn't putting the ball in the perfect spots, I don't see a receiving core capable of making things happen.

I don't mean to keep saying the same thing because they are all gone but I remember on many occasions where Reilly just didn't have it but the receivers were able to compensate a bit by their playmaking abilities. Making big catches, winning 50-50 balls, getting open even in tight coverage. I don't see that here. Ellingston is supposed to be this great receiver, the main guy for the Esks. He's been OK but in watching him, if he's your main guy, then maybe your receiving core isn't that good.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I have said it before, I think this offense lacks play makers at receiver. I think they rely too heavily on the QB to make all the plays. Your QB of course needs to be good to win but I don't see a receiving core that is capable of winning a lot of 50-50 balls or just flat out making a play. i.e getting open in tight coverage or making a big catch in traffic or in coverage. It's very reliant on the QB making every single throw. If he isn't putting the ball in the perfect spots, I don't see a receiving core capable of making things happen.

I don't mean to keep saying the same thing because they are all gone but I remember on many occasions where Reilly just didn't have it but the receivers were able to compensate a bit by their playmaking abilities. Making big catches, winning 50-50 balls, getting open even in tight coverage. I don't see that here. Ellingston is supposed to be this great receiver, the main guy for the Esks. He's been OK but in watching him, if he's your main guy, then maybe your receiving core isn't that good.
    Go get walker back from Toronto.. whatever it takes... we miss him

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Yep, going into this week, teams as a whole are averaging .931 points per kick convert and 1.138 per 2 point convert.

In a sport where the entire goal is outscoring your opponent, it is completely baffling that so many coaches havenít figured this out. Edmonton and Winnipeg had only 1 - 2 point attempt going into this week.
    If you consistently have issues pushing it in from the red zone, it's difficult to have confidence in the same play for a 2 point.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Go get walker back from Toronto.. whatever it takes... we miss him
    I'd be all over that. Give up Knox in return.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vale View Post
    Some of us watched the slaughter in person. I left after the last pick 6, I probably should have left at the end of the 3rd.

At least there was something a fan of the league could cheer about, seeing Rob Hitchcock being put on the Ti-Cats wall of honour at half-time (and watch highlights of the Stamps losing the '99 Grey Cup).
    I am soooo glad I was unable to make that trip. I was seriously thinking of doing the drive down from Ottawa but I spent the weekend shingling my roof and then slowly recovering from shingling my roof.

I am disheartened by our D. For the first third of the season, Lolley was looking like a defensive genius. The D was intimidating and unstoppable. Eventually, as the other teams got film on us, they started adjusting to the aggressive pass rush. The Esks look very vulnerable on screen plays as everyone is charging ahead , being swept past the pocket, leaving the dump pass to the RB to take off. Where is the guy to charge then drop back to pick him up?

I'm not sure what's going on with Orange and Hoover but there have been some huge communication gaffes that have burned us badly. Is it all on Orange? I like Hoover but...

Anyway, back to Lolley. It seems to me that the defensive scheming, especially on the front 7 has not really changed from the start. Maybe I'm just not seeing it as most of my games are on TV but without anything new, it is predictable and easy to beat. That is leaving our weak backfield exposed. I see the same plays, killing us each game. The other option Lolley seems to go with is a soft zone and I don't think we have the personnel to play that properly.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Just running a few QB's thru the old noggin, I only have short term memory loss, not long term. Terry Baker, Heisman winner ; Dave Syme, Rusty Clarke, Jon Anabo, Charlie Fulton, James Earl Wright, Cliff Olander, Corey Colehour, Jim Walden ( have memories of him joining us a couple of days before the Labor Day game , from the Stamps I believe) and Bill Redell . I thought Redell had a lot of talent but never had a good team to work with. Randy Kerbow was cursed with good all around ability and they kept moving him to different positions and never got much of a chance at QB.

vCash

I'd be all over that. Give up Knox in return.

I’m not sure that the Argos would want Knox? Hasn’t played a down all season. They might also want a Canadian draft pick.
    And do the Esks want to be saddled with year 2 of the very expensive Walker contract? Mind you, they could always release him in the off-season before any bonuses are due.

vCash

D-walk on a 1 year deal only.

Not sure if we lowballed him and burned bridges.?
    Not sure he'd come back.
    Just speculating

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    I’m not sure that the Argos would want Knox? Hasn’t played a down all season. They might also want a Canadian draft pick.
    And do the Esks want to be saddled with year 2 of the very expensive Walker contract? Mind you, they could always release him in the off-season before any bonuses are due.
    I was just throwing a name out there. Knox is supposed to be a good player. Was one of Brock big signings. He's supposedly been healthy for a while now. I've heard multiple guys that cover the team say that. He hasn't played because of cap issues and Diggs has been more than adequate. When it comes to Walker. As was said, I think he's only signed for 1 yr but even if he was 2 yrs, the guy is only 28. Lots of ball left in him and he's a hell of a receiver and a legit play maker. They should have never let him walk. I think that was a mistake by Brock.

vCash

I was just throwing a name out there. Knox is supposed to be a good player. Was one of Brock big signings. He's supposedly been healthy for a while now. I've heard multiple guys that cover the team say that. He hasn't played because of cap issues and Diggs has been more than adequate. When it comes to Walker. As was said, I think he's only signed for 1 yr but even if he was 2 yrs, the guy is only 28. Lots of ball left in him and he's a hell of a receiver and a legit play maker. They should have never let him walk. I think that was a mistake by Brock.
    I can see what you are saying in regards to Walker but I can also see why they let him go as he apparently is the highest paid receiver AND they were giving Harris his go to target for the last few years. On paper it seems like the right move but maybe in reality it wasn't, no way to know how Derel would have done here this year.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I can see what you are saying in regards to Walker but I can also see why they let him go as he apparently is the highest paid receiver AND they were giving Harris his go to target for the last few years. On paper it seems like the right move but maybe in reality it wasn't, no way to know how Derel would have done here this year.
    If he's the highest paid receiver in the CFL, I would argue he's the best in the CFL so he probably deserves it. He's 6th in the league in receiving with 62 catches for 1016 yards and 6 TD's. That's with Bethal- Thompson and Franklin has his QB. Both guys are lousy starters. He currently ahead of every Eskimos receiver. What would his stats be like if he had a decent QB like Harris.

I think the Esks have a bunch of #2 and 3 receivers on their team. Ellingston is probably a #2 on a lot of teams, Daniels is a 2/3 receiver and Collins is a #3. They lack that #1 receiver where you go to when you need a play and more times than not, that guy makes a play.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-07-2019 at 04:23 PM.

vCash

Slightly off-topic...but Bethel-Thompson is quietly performing a small miracle in Toronto. Given the lack of talent and lack of morale he has to work with, he has almost without anyone noticing become a solid starter. On another team he might even be one of the best.

Not sure why they started Franklin, TBH. Maybe they were showcasing him, but Bethel-Thompson has clearly outperformed Franklin by a wide margin.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

If he's the highest paid receiver in the CFL, I would argue he's the best in the CFL so he probably deserves it. He's 6th in the league in receiving with 62 catches for 1016 yards and 6 TD's. That's with Bethal- Thompson and Franklin has his QB. Both guys are lousy starters. He currently ahead of every Eskimos receiver. What would his stats be like if he had a decent QB like Harris.

I think the Esks have a bunch of #2 and 3 receivers on their team. Ellingston is probably a #2 on a lot of teams, Daniels is a 2/3 receiver and Collins is a #3. They lack that #1 receiver where you go to when you need a play and more times than not, that guy makes a play.
    Sorry but stats are for losers aren't they? As long as you brought them up I'll expand on them. As bad as you think MBT and Franklin have been they are only averaging 17.5 yards less per game (308.5 for Edm and 291 for TO). As far as Walker being the best receiver in the league, I would argue that Burnham, Banks, Begleton and this year Shaq Evans are all better than he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Slightly off-topic...but Bethel-Thompson is quietly performing a small miracle in Toronto. Given the lack of talent and lack of morale he has to work with, he has almost without anyone noticing become a solid starter. On another team he might even be one of the best.

Not sure why they started Franklin, TBH. Maybe they were showcasing him, but Bethel-Thompson has clearly outperformed Franklin by a wide margin.
    Ya I'm wondering if there are locker room issues with him (100% speculation on my part)
    #PizStrong

vCash

Sorry but stats are for losers aren't they? As long as you brought them up I'll expand on them. As bad as you think MBT and Franklin have been they are only averaging 17.5 yards less per game (308.5 for Edm and 291 for TO). As far as Walker being the best receiver in the league, I would argue that Burnham, Banks, Begleton and this year Shaq Evans are all better than he is.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I'm wondering if there are locker room issues with him (100% speculation on my part)
    The Argos are 2-12. How on earth can you come at me telling me that the Argos QB's are any good? They are 2-12!! If you have decent QB's you aren't going to be 2-12. The Argos have 4 more games, 2 against Ottawa, one against Montreal and 1 against Hamilton. They might win the games against Ottawa to go 4-14. Could MBT be a decent back up and a guy capable of starting a few games for you? Sure. But you don't go 2-12 if either of those guys are decent starters. They were 4-14 last year with those 2 starting so they aren't getting any better. Since you like to continuously mention what I said which is stats are for losers. If you also remember, the only stat I give a damn about is wins. Those guys don't win games.

Walker is better than any receiver the Esks have.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 10-08-2019 at 09:26 AM.

vCash

The Argos are 2-12. How on earth can you come at me telling me that the Argos QB's are any good? They are 2-12!! If you have decent QB's you aren't going to be 2-12. The Argos have 4 more games, 2 against Ottawa, one against Montreal and 1 against Hamilton. They might win the games against Ottawa to go 4-14. Could MBT be a decent back up and a guy capable of starting a few games for you? Sure. But you don't go 2-12 if either of those guys are decent starters. They were 4-14 last year with those 2 starting so they aren't getting any better. Since you like to continuously mention what I said which is stats are for losers. If you also remember, the only stat I give a damn about is wins. Those guys don't win games.

Walker is better than any receiver the Esks have.
    To damn every player on a team cause of their record is foolish, football is a team game. Using the same mentality can you really say Harris is much better than MBT as we are going to be lucky to get to 8 wins at this point.

For what its worth I don't share your approach to evaluation based on record, there is far more to it than that. I've been a paid hockey evaluator for over 20 years and I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that you cannot paint everyone with the same brush based on their teams records.

And I actually agree that Walker is better than anything we have but we don't know what the added salary, we would have had to spend, would have cost us in player acquisitions, so its tough to comment with any kind of substance.
    Last edited by Looner; 10-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    #PizStrong

vCash

QBwinz is a terrible stat to look at when analyzing qb play. Bo is the perfect poster boy for qbwinz. TSN always goes to his record to talk about his greatness. That’s because his actual numbers don’t jump off the page at all. Is he good? Yes. Is he a top qb in this league? Yes. But he’s not the greatest qb to ever grace this league, not even close. He’s spent his entire career playing for BY FAR the best franchise in this league during his tenure.

Long story short, Macbeth’s numbers show potential and he should be starting for the Argos, regardless of his record.

vCash

I don't remember any QB on our team hitting Daniels in stride, or even close? Why would Walker be any different?
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

To damn every player on a team cause of their record is foolish, football is a team game. Using the same mentality can you really say Harris is much better than MBT as we are going to be lucky to get to 8 wins at this point.

For what its worth I don't share your approach to evaluation based on record, there is far more to it than that. I've been a paid hockey evaluator for over 20 years and I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that you cannot paint everyone with the same brush based on their teams records.

And I actually agree that Walker is better than anything we have but we don't know what the added salary, we would have had to spend, would have cost us in player acquisitions, so its tough to comment with any kind of substance.
    I don't think football and hockey are even close to being the same other than they are team sports. The QB is responsible for handling the ball at least what, for half the game? So he has a HUGE impact on what your team does. Your Oline can block a play perfectly, your receivers run the right route and get open but if your QB doesn't make the right read or throw the ball properly, the play is dead. McDavid, the best player in the world is on for what 1/3 the game and he's not on every line. The QB is on for every single offensive play minus maybe a couple of short yardage plays. If he is having a bad night or isn't good enough, the offense will struggle to score. If the offense struggles to score then that puts pressure of the defense, they have to play longer, they get tired and give up more points. If McDavid's line doesn't score, there are 3 other lines plus 3 defense pairings who could score a goal.

This will be the second year in a row where MBT and Franklin have been the Argo's QB. Last year they won 4 games, this year they might win 4 games. Different coaches, same QB's.