Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jason Kenney Report Card

vCash

Politics The Jason Kenney Report Card

We have a thread for our blackfaced PM. Why not for our Preem?

What did everyone think of the budget?

Bet Kenney wishes he had waited to scrap the Carbon Tax. Now the Libs will implement their own Jan 1 and the money will head east. Pretty stupid.

21% increase in post-secondary tuition over 3 years (23% with compounding). I guess the Alberta Advantage is only for business. The rest of us get way higher tuition, bracket creep and fewer tax breaks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm generally supportive of what they are trying to accomplish, (I blame others as much as Kenney) but you don't diversify your economy and attract people to Alberta by making adult education more expensive just to match the expensiveness in BC and Ontario. Just my 3 cents.

This is why the tuition feeze was always a bad idea.

Buy hey, I voted Alberta Party.

vCash

Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

He also scrapped all the tax benefits for business innovation.

Pretty hard to diversify your economy when you're doing **** like that.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

"Every post-secondary institution in Alberta is having its funding cut except the province's five Christian universities. These institutions are small, receiving about 1.2% of the total Campus Alberta Grants last year. This year, they'll receive 1.3% of the total."

**** off right out of here with this ****.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    We have a thread for our blackfaced PM. Why not for our Preem?

What did everyone think of the budget?

Bet Kenney wishes he had waited to scrap the Carbon Tax. Now the Libs will implement their own Jan 1 and the money will head east. Pretty stupid.

21% increase in post-secondary tuition over 3 years (23% with compounding). I guess the Alberta Advantage is only for business. The rest of us get way higher tuition, bracket creep and fewer tax breaks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm generally supportive of what they are trying to accomplish, (I blame others as much as Kenney) but you don't diversify your economy and attract people to Alberta by making adult education more expensive just to match the expensiveness in BC and Ontario. Just my 3 cents.

This is why the tuition feeze was always a bad idea.

Buy hey, I voted Alberta Party.
    Typical double down on trickle down economics give a big tax break to corporations that won't trickle down and **** the rest of the people. Shocks - zero
    In Rod we trust

vCash

The blanket tax reduction theory is just so faulty in this era.

Are you a company small, medium or large that creates jobs in a given year? If so you get a very generous tax credit.
    If you create no jobs you get no tax credit.
    If you cut jobs you for sure get no tax relief.

And yet the very biggest companies can cut their work force for better efficiency or due to technology and happily stuff their jeans with the money from the lower tax rate.

Also off loading provincial responsibilities on to the municipalities is = tax increase. I'll once again be paying high school taxes on my municipal taxes even though i have no kids.

Then we have idiotic spending like the 30 million dollar war room nonsense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The blanket tax reduction theory is just so faulty in this era.

Are you a company small, medium or large that creates jobs in a given year? If so you get a very generous tax credit.
    If you create no jobs you get no tax credit.
    If you cut jobs you for sure get no tax relief.

And yet the very biggest companies can cut their work force for better efficiency or due to technology and happily stuff their jeans with the money from the lower tax rate.

Also off loading provincial responsibilities on to the municipalities is = tax increase. I'll once again be paying high school taxes on my municipal taxes even though i have no kids.

Then we have idiotic spending like the 30 million dollar war room nonsense.
    And who paid for you to go school?

I'm sorry I have zero time for anyone, especially people over 40 that benefited from extremely cheap secondary options that do not exist any more, complaining about paying property taxes towards education.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Hey, I paid $250-$450 a term for post secondary and at least $100 a term on textbooks and I was only making $10.61 - $14.61 an hour at my part-time/summer job!

How as a society are we to compete with the United States if we can't get student debt ratcheted up to insane levels?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Hey, I paid $250-$450 a term for post secondary and at least $100 a term on textbooks and I was only making $10.61 - $14.61 an hour at my part-time/summer job!

How as a society are we to compete with the United States if we can't get student debt ratcheted up to insane levels?
    What was the price of cabbage back then?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Twice as much as rutabaga!

vCash

As a 31 year old who was soaked for $2500 a term +$500 for books barely ten years ago while making $16 an hour I appreciate this post and wish I could rep it twice.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Completed my undergrad degree and my medical degree just over 20 years on the strength of scholarships and thus began my practice with no debt. I'll gladly pay taxes so future generations can try to enjoy similar benefits (though they are nowhere close right now).

We ALL benefit from an educated society. Except the Conservative party...their mantra is keep the population stupid so people will keep voting for them.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Went to University, played football, tutored and worked full time (and sold my massive comic collection) so I didn't have any student loans when I was done. Don't know how I did it exactly because we still found time to whoop it up a bit... Not that my degree did me any good once I got it. Was basically an excuse to play ball for four years...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Twice as much as rutabaga!
    It was just a question....eesh don't be so rutabaga it
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    And who paid for you to go school?

I'm sorry I have zero time for anyone, especially people over 40 that benefited from extremely cheap secondary options that do not exist any more, complaining about paying property taxes towards education.
    Sorry dude but single people with no kids pay more than their fair share of the tax burden.
    Every election the goodies that come out are over loaded towards families with kids.
    I subsidize schooling I subsidize day care, i burden the infrastructure far less than families.
    I put out one bag of trash and one bag of recycling every two weeks my neighbours with two kids put out two or three trash and one recycling every week.
    A family of four burdens the health care system far more than one person.

And lest you think I am some evil family hating ogre that is not the case. I will continue to subsidize others because the family unit is important and needs support.

I just wish like once ever governments or even the general populace around election time would actually acknowledge this.

Feel free to continue have no time for a section of the populace paying more than their 'defined' fair share.

vCash

Sorry dude but single people with no kids pay more than their fair share of the tax burden.
    Every election the goodies that come out are over loaded towards families with kids.
    I subsidize schooling I subsidize day care, i burden the infrastructure far less than families.
    I put out one bag of trash and one bag of recycling every two weeks my neighbours with two kids put out two or three trash and one recycling every week.
    A family of four burdens the health care system far more than one person.

And lest you think I am some evil family hating ogre that is not the case. I will continue to subsidize others because the family unit is important and needs support.

I just wish like once ever governments or even the general populace around election time would actually acknowledge this.

Feel free to continue have no time for a section of the populace paying more than their 'defined' fair share.
    So you're just a regular ogre then?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

As a married guy with no kids I am absolutely fine with paying taxes towards schools. I want bang for my buck, but I willingly fund education. I may not have kids, but I am a citizen of my community.

I get that Kenney had to balance the books. 100% behind that. The manner in which he's choosing to do it? Well, I'm smarter than him, so....

vCash

Wow The PCs just hammered the shi* out of Post secondary institutions (well at least ones that are not of a religious bent). Massive cuts to the operating grants and to maintenance improvement budgets. Get ready for universities to start totally falling apart in a few years.

Also cut the student employment program in with an extremely snotty message. The useful program had about the same budget as their secretive energy war room.

vCash

Wow The PCs just hammered the shi* out of Post secondary institutions (well at least ones that are not of a religious bent). Massive cuts to the operating grants and to maintenance improvement budgets. Get ready for universities to start totally falling apart in a few years.

Also cut the student employment program in with an extremely snotty message. The useful program had about the same budget as their secretive energy war room.
    The universities won't fall apart. They have been directed to cut administrative costs before anything else. UofA spends less than 28 cents on the dollar on instruction and non-sponsored research. Central administrative costs are well over $100million.

vCash

The universities won't fall apart. They have been directed to cut administrative costs before anything else. UofA spends less than 28 cents on the dollar on instruction and non-sponsored research. Central administrative costs are well over $100million.
    The buildings themselves will fall apart, not the admin side. Along with the operating grant they totally eliminated the IMP grant (infrastructure maintenance Program)
    The U of A has already been underfunded for years and years for deferred maintenance and has a massive back log. It will get much worse in 3 or 4 years time.

The last large building boom before a recent one about 5 years ago was 40-50 years ago. The U of A is not in the range where lifecycles of those buildings are coming into play.

vCash

The far right loves to cut at education.

Wonder why!?

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

My mother is a university professor and she knew this was coming from a mile away. The sad thing is the conservative government spent the better part of a decade tearing down education to the point it's already run on a shoe string budget. All this does is push regular people that much further away from the possibility of post-secondary education. The trickle down eventually hits students while cutting a swath the entire way down. Seriously, cutting budgets from every institution but faith-based? WTF?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

They also took huge shots at university aged students. Yup, they're the ones bringing the economy down. Having to work *while* go to school for 40 hours a week. They're the issue.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

The buildings themselves will fall apart, not the admin side. Along with the operating grant they totally eliminated the IMP grant (infrastructure maintenance Program)
    The U of A has already been underfunded for years and years for deferred maintenance and has a massive back log. It will get much worse in 3 or 4 years time.

The last large building boom before a recent one about 5 years ago was 40-50 years ago. The U of A is not in the range where lifecycles of those buildings are coming into play.
    The UofA has absolutely NOT been underfunded for years. It's that they spend all their money on central administration. They are fat and bloated. I've seen nothing but construction cranes at UofA for a decade now. Definitely not underfunded. If anything they are OVER-funded. Especially compared to the PSIs that create workers our economy needs: NorQuest and NAIT.

How about taking a look at the actual numbers.

https://universityfinances.ca/

vCash

The UofA has absolutely NOT been underfunded for years. It's that they spend all their money on central administration. They are fat and bloated. I've seen nothing but construction cranes at UofA for a decade now. Definitely not underfunded. If anything they are OVER-funded. Especially compared to the PSIs that create workers our economy needs: NorQuest and NAIT.

How about taking a look at the actual numbers.

https://universityfinances.ca/
    No, Admin funding/operating funding is a totally separate issue from infrastructure funding. You can argue that operating funding has been fine but maintenance funding is a separate issue.

vCash

No, Admin funding/operating funding is a totally separate issue from infrastructure funding. You can argue that operating funding has been fine but maintenance funding is a separate issue.
    The maintenance of buildings and capital IS part of operational funding. Only the building of capital comes from capital funding.

UofA and other PSIs engage in what's called "deferred maintenance". That's code for "let it rot and then ask for capital funding to build new buildings instead of maintaining the ones we have so we can spend lavishly on central administration."

vCash

The maintenance of buildings and capital IS part of operational funding. Only the building of capital comes from capital funding.

UofA and other PSIs engage in what's called "deferred maintenance". That's code for "let it rot and then ask for capital funding to build new buildings instead of maintaining the ones we have so we can spend lavishly on central administration."
    That's not entirely true. Anything that is considered to extend the life of the existing building beyond it's amortized life expectancy is also considered capital. For example, a building that is 40+ years old and you are doing a major repair/renovation, you are extending the value of the asset beyond the amortized life of 50 years and capital dollars are required for it (i.e you are investing in prolonging the use of that facility). It's just not sexy to cut ribbons for a new boiler or roof replacement like it is to build something shiny and new, so capital dollars often go that instead.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    That's not entirely true. Anything that is considered to extend the life of the existing building beyond it's amortized life expectancy is also considered capital. For example, a building that is 40+ years old and you are doing a major repair/renovation, you are extending the value of the asset beyond the amortized life of 50 years and capital dollars are required for it (i.e you are investing in prolonging the use of that facility). It's just not sexy to cut ribbons for a new boiler or roof replacement like it is to build something shiny and new, so capital dollars often go that instead.
    You are correct. But most PSIs don't even bother with basic maintenance beyond custodial.

vCash

You are correct. But most PSIs don't even bother with basic maintenance beyond custodial.
    Possibly, I'm more familiar with other public areas than I am with PSIs so can't comment on how they use their operating budgets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Possibly, I'm more familiar with other public areas than I am with PSIs so can't comment on how they use their operating budgets.
    It took 90 years for UofA to hit $50M in central admin costs. Then 5 more years to double it.

vCash

Wage roll backs on public sector employees "to bring them in line with other provinces" while still collecting a cheque larger than MLA's in other provinces isn't a good look.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi