Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 421 to 444 of 444

Thread: The Jason Kenney Report Card

  1. #421
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    "Premier Jason Kenney's campaign manager hired as VP of Alberta Energy Regulator"

    Hires yet another climate change denier. I mean they aren't even trying to hid the rampant nepotism and pork barrelling.
    Based on recent performances by their main opposition and the leader of the AFL, I imagine they feel invincible.

  2. #422
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    ... and the divesting from Alberta Oil continues.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  3. #423
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,554
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Based on recent performances by their main opposition and the leader of the AFL, I imagine they feel invincible.
    They are invincible. A terrible government and terrible leader so far but they are invincible.

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sherwood Park
    Posts
    4,965
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    What can you say about a government that appoints a poacher as Minister of Environment and Parks?

    Get 5 complaints about Trumpeter Swans foraging in someone's fields? Open Season!

  5. #425
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    They are invincible. A terrible government and terrible leader so far but they are invincible.
    I guess my point is that if their opposition were somewhat more moderate, they would be somewhat less invincible.

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,624
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    "Our policies aren't causing doctors to leave. And to prove it, we'll force them to stay."

    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5650940?__t...mpression=true

  7. #427
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,722
    vCash
    3657
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Are they invincible? For real?

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    "Our policies aren't causing doctors to leave. And to prove it, we'll force them to stay."

    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5650940?__t...mpression=true
    ...aaaand enter the lawyers. No way this passes the constitutional sniff test.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Are they invincible? For real?
    Kenney has a higher disapproval rating than approval, but the UCP still leads in every poll by double digits. I don't think that they are invincible, but THEY think that they are invincible. Both because of their poll numbers and because the NDP's performance as opposition has been less than stellar in the last 17 months.

  9. #429
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,624
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    ...aaaand enter the lawyers. No way this passes the constitutional sniff test.
    Which is made even more odd by the fact that Shandro is a lawyer, and should know better. Apparently, he's just as incompetent as a lawyer as he is a health minister.

    Kenney has a higher disapproval rating than approval, but the UCP still leads in every poll by double digits. I don't think that they are invincible, but THEY think that they are invincible. Both because of their poll numbers and because the NDP's performance as opposition has been less than stellar in the last 17 months.
    I'm just curious, what do you think the opposition should be doing differently? They've been vocal about everything the UCP has been doing wrong (and that's a very long list), and quite rightly so. On the odd occasion that the UCP has done something right, they've acknowledged that. When they try to debate things in the legislature, the UCP ignore them and ram legislation through with minimum debate, to the point of literally handing out ear plugs.

    Notley gets dismissed as "the loony left"; I could see that in some of the things that Singh's NDP have proposed on a federal level, but on a provincial level, Notley governed about as far left as Peter Lougheed did. It's just that alt-right parties like Wildrose, Reform, and the Tea party have dragged more moderate or "progressive" conservative parties so far right in search of that voting base, that the rest of the spectrum has been dragged with it.

  10. #430
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Which is made even more odd by the fact that Shandro is a lawyer, and should know better. Apparently, he's just as incompetent as a lawyer as he is a health minister.



    I'm just curious, what do you think the opposition should be doing differently? They've been vocal about everything the UCP has been doing wrong (and that's a very long list), and quite rightly so. On the odd occasion that the UCP has done something right, they've acknowledged that. When they try to debate things in the legislature, the UCP ignore them and ram legislation through with minimum debate, to the point of literally handing out ear plugs.

    Notley gets dismissed as "the loony left"; I could see that in some of the things that Singh's NDP have proposed on a federal level, but on a provincial level, Notley governed about as far left as Peter Lougheed did. It's just that alt-right parties like Wildrose, Reform, and the Tea party have dragged more moderate or "progressive" conservative parties so far right in search of that voting base, that the rest of the spectrum has been dragged with it.
    The public may not like the tactics the UCP are using against the doctors, but they accept that Alberta spends more per capita on health, education, post-secondary and infrastructure than most, if not all jurisdictions in Canada. The NDP's constant bitching that they aren't spending enough shows that they learned very little from their election loss. They consistently angry tone doesn't resonate either. The UCP are not a good government IMO, but I don't feel well served by the opposition either. The NDP's holier-than-thou "capitalism sucks", right-is-always-wrong BS adds little substance to our discourse on public policy.

  11. #431
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card



    Jason Kenney can screw off.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-28-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  12. #432
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,877
    vCash
    20000
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Wondering what other parents think of the return to school plan?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  13. #433
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,624
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Wondering what other parents think of the return to school plan?
    We shouldn't be emulating the States at all, but especially not Florida: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/healt...96aME_OYkhzGTc

  14. #434
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Wondering what other parents think of the return to school plan?
    I've been following that whole process closer than a childless person in another province normally would because of my 6 & 8 year-old nieces. I get the impression my brother is worried, but is hoping there are some late developments that could change class structures or safety protocols. He and his wife are contemplating home schooling for the girls this year.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-29-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  15. #435
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,587
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    821

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I've been following that whole process closer than a childless person in another province normally would because of my 6 & 8 year-old nieces. I get the impression my brother is worried, but is hoping there are some late developments that could change class structures or safety protocols. He and his wife are contemplating home schooling for the girls this year.
    Walked at the dog park this morning with a M.B. high school teacher and his wife. Was saying as of now they are expecting one of three plans or options of those to be used . Basically either total, partial or all from home. Said his school is located in a more affluent area and no problem for his students with home learning, but he is worried about students in areas where they have no computer access . Quite a dedicated fella, actually.

    Did say in MB there will be an announcement in early August but with schools not slated to open til after first week in Sept. things could change.

  16. #436
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,490
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    274

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Wondering what other parents think of the return to school plan?
    EVERY parent or caregiver gets sick in September and October...every year. Kids are fricken germ farms at the best of times. It's like sending Curious George on the bus and getting the monkey from Outbreak at the end of the day...

    The school re-opening while needed for some families is going only last a couple months before the inevitable second wave hits. Read somewhere that a Catholic summer school student tested positive and now his whole class is in quarantine. While i would prefer the kids go back to school for the simple fact that...well...I'm not a f'ing teacher! I don't know what the hell I'm doing when I try to help the kid with his homework. No clue what ways to make math more clear to him. Neither is the TW! Neither of us have the... I don't know... vocabulary? to explain things that we've done for soooo long that it's second nature to us. I mean, I know how to do math - but can't figure out how to explain the steps or process because they have different steps now. Luckily I am permanently going to be working from home so there's no worry about childcare - but a lot of people pushing for the return are the ones who can't find childcare. (I assume - but am not 100% sure by any means on that one)
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  17. #437
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  18. #438
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Glad I don't have kids.

    Relating to the title of this thread, 15 months into the Kenney Government, I would give them this grade:

    D

  19. #439
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,877
    vCash
    20000
    Rep Power
    92

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    EVERY parent or caregiver gets sick in September and October...every year. Kids are fricken germ farms at the best of times. It's like sending Curious George on the bus and getting the monkey from Outbreak at the end of the day...

    The school re-opening while needed for some families is going only last a couple months before the inevitable second wave hits. Read somewhere that a Catholic summer school student tested positive and now his whole class is in quarantine. While i would prefer the kids go back to school for the simple fact that...well...I'm not a f'ing teacher! I don't know what the hell I'm doing when I try to help the kid with his homework. No clue what ways to make math more clear to him. Neither is the TW! Neither of us have the... I don't know... vocabulary? to explain things that we've done for soooo long that it's second nature to us. I mean, I know how to do math - but can't figure out how to explain the steps or process because they have different steps now. Luckily I am permanently going to be working from home so there's no worry about childcare - but a lot of people pushing for the return are the ones who can't find childcare. (I assume - but am not 100% sure by any means on that one)
    This is what struck me too. So a high school student in a class of 30 tests positive. The teacher and 30 students get quarantined. But its not really 30 students, if that student has 3 or 4 classes its really 90-120 kids and 3-4 teachers quarantined. Off 1 positive? Cohorting in younger kids should keep that down, but you can't cohort in jr and sr high where kids go to different classes?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

    Vince Lombardi

  20. #440
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  21. #441
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,890
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    277

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    I do not envy teachers right now. They are being put in such a crap position.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  22. #442
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,655
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1843

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I do not envy teachers right now. They are being put in such a crap position.
    It's important for all the parents to support the teachers and insist on some better protocols in the classrooms.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  23. #443
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    25,992
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    222

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Kids are either going to get sick or miss a grade. This will cost the UCP in 2023 more than any other issue. Voters' memories can be short, but not when it comes to kids getting sick.

  24. #444
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,141
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    227

    Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    It's important for all the parents to support the teachers and insist on some better protocols in the classrooms.
    My wife is a teacher. She is very uncertain about what will happen with her in the next month or two. She is nervous to go back to school.

    Not to be preachy but to all parents and people who don't have kids, support the teachers any way you can. They will need it and deserve it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •