Thread: The Jason Kenney Report Card

vCash

Re: The Jason Kenney Report Card

It is a complex issue for certain.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I can't comment on the radiologist portion, not my area nor do I know any. I do know that while radiologists bill a proportionately higher amount compared to many other specialties, they also have a significantly higher overhead compared to most specialties.

As for other physician billings, it really depends on the specialty, and even the specific service. Some billing codes are higher in Alberta than anywhere else in Canada. Some are lower than anywhere in Canada. Many fall somewhere in between. Some services are difficult to compare because they are billed in different ways in different provinces. Following Klein's cuts in the 90's, there was a "brain drain" of health care professionals including doctors. The province ended up having to overpay to recruit people back in to those professions, so for a while Alberta certainly did have the highest paid physicians, and by a fairly wide margin (perhaps it was close to 20%, I'm not sure), part of the so-called "Alberta Advantage". With that advantage, however, came the highest overhead costs in the country, so a doctor's salary isn't equivalent to their billings. The gap in billings between Alberta and other provinces has been steadily decreasing over time, so there is certainly no longer a draw to coming to Alberta compared to other provinces, especially as overhead costs remain among the highest in the country, to take-home pay is perhaps above the overall average in Canada, but not the highest.

The changes that are being imposed without negotiation are most definitely cuts. Family doctors will see their billings cut by 20-30%, while overhead while remain the same. As a psychiatrist, I am told that I can expect my billings to be cut by 28-33%.

Each doctor operates differently, and so there will be wide variations on their pay depending on their practice. When I completed my residency in Toronto in 2003, I left significant offers on the table there to take a substantial pay cut to come to Alberta, because my son was under a year old and I wanted to be closer to family. To this day, I have still not billed in a single year what Toronto offered me in salary, and they also paid for benefits and overhead. I work with a very ill population of patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, the kind that don't think they are ill and don't think they need treatment. I have a huge no-show rate, and when they don't show up, I don't get paid. Other jurisdictions compensate for choosing to work with such a difficult population (as I mentioned, Ontario offered salaries rather than fee for service). My kids are in high school. It's getting to the point where I no longer have to stay in this province for family reasons. 6 months ago, I never would have considered leaving, but 2 weeks ago, I started a LinkedIn account, and I'm already getting offers, and I'm listening. In the field I work in, it was never about the money, I could have made more elsewhere for sure. But now, forcing a significant pay cut on me and showing no respect for health care professionals whatsoever in the process? I wonder how much subsequent governments will have to pay to lure people back after this brain drain.
    Kind of what I thought, it isn't nearly as black and white as I was being led to believe. I'm a business owner in the construction industry and had to take and give my employees a 10% cut a few years back and I know I'm looking at the economy in other provinces as well as, while I love Alberta, it doesn't have the natural draw that I desire, so there needs to be a carrot in order to stay.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Province details $500M plan for utilizing private clinics to reduce surgical wait times

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/province-...k&_gsc=cwtl5ve

Looks like this was the strategy all along...

vCash

vCash

In every other province with COVID-19 cases, the Minister of Health has stood alongside the Chief Medical Officer of Health at the media availabilities.... is Shandro there, or is he too scared to show his face? (my hotel wifi is wonky so I can’t watch the livestream)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    well if you want to see a lot of wildlife Walmart is the place to go
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Doubling and tripling down on a volatile resource economy over which we have virtually no control over while cutting everything under the sun that is not oil based is looking dumber all the time. This province literally had decades to actually diversify and did little. Like it or not oil investment is a dying economy even before recent events.

Alberta = Woodwards and Sears, double down the store in mall paradigm.

vCash

I 'd love to know how people think that Alberta was supposed to "diversify" over the last 30 years?

Low taxes? Check
    Tax incentives? Check
    Well funded post-secondary? Check

There's no magic wand for diversification.
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I 'd love to know how people think that Alberta was supposed to "diversify" over the last 30 years?

Low taxes? Check
    Tax incentives? Check

Point being why lower corporate taxes EVEN more when it hasn't worked in the past 30 years? We'll cripple our public services and make ourselves even more reliant on a an industry that isn't competitive worldwide at current prices.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Point being why lower corporate taxes EVEN more when it hasn't worked in the past 30 years? We'll cripple our public services and make ourselves even more reliant on a an industry that isn't competitive worldwide at current prices.
    Will it attract new industries if you have higher taxes? I don't think so.

edit: By the way: Here are Alberta's industries by % of GDP

Mining, Oil & Gas: 16.8%
    Real Estate Rental and Leasing: 11.5%
    Construction: 9.1%
    Manufacturing: 8.5%
    Health Care and Social Assistance: 6.4%
    Transportation and Warehousing: 5.5%
    Professional, Scientific and Technical Services: 5.1%
    Wholesale Trade: 4.8%
    Finance and Insurance 4.5%
    Retail Trade: 4.4%
    Educational Services: 3.9%

Seems fairly diverse, IMO.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 03-09-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash

Unemployment keeps growing. The industries getting huge amounts of money thrown at them are still not investing in Albertans. Debt expected to keep rising. Public services slashed and money steered toward private services to take their place. Professionals are packing up and leaving the province.

All of this and Jason Kenney is standing there blaming the rest of the world for his self created problems.

vCash

Unemployment keeps growing. The industries getting huge amounts of money thrown at them are still not investing in Albertans. Debt expected to keep rising. Public services slashed and money steered toward private services to take their place. Professionals are packing up and leaving the province.

All of this and Jason Kenney is standing there blaming the rest of the world for his self created problems.
    Thing is, the unemployment wasn't caused by Alberta public policy. It was caused, in part, by events out of our control and, in part, by reckless federal policy, and in part by a clandestine campaign to shut down Alberta's oilsands to benefit competitors in the US.

vCash

Thing is, the unemployment wasn't caused by Alberta public policy.
    I'd disagree. It's been caused by decades of Alberta government policy. The "all in" on one industry is fine when the getting is good, but failing to really diversify (and I mean really, not just bread crumbs to other industries), is the undoing of things.

vCash

vCash

Don't worry the soon to be Alberta Pension Plan will finance oilsand development.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Don't worry the soon to be Alberta Pension Plan will finance oilsand development.
    Scary.

vCash

I'd disagree. It's been caused by decades of Alberta government policy. The "all in" on one industry is fine when the getting is good, but failing to really diversify (and I mean really, not just bread crumbs to other industries), is the undoing of things.
    Thing is...we went into debt with the NDP flat out saying we need to do this for both job creation and diversification. We start to diversify and were rebounding on the deficit...and we start moving in a positive direction especially in the major urban centres. Tech was booming at least in Calgary and they cut the AITC and tax credits (the tax credits they targeted are a whole other story) while simultaneously throwing more money at Oil. Now they are throwing together a slapstick, hurried attempt to lure back tech industry because they realize how badly they ****ed that up...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

You need a competitive advantage to be able to diversify. The one industry domination happens because of the benefits derived from it. If, for instance, they had kept production down and did not develop the oil sands infrastructure that would have just been lost revenue and economic activity.

The answers are not easy. How do you propose diversifying and to what?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    You need a competitive advantage to be able to diversify. The one industry domination happens because of the benefits derived from it. If, for instance, they had kept production down and did not develop the oil sands infrastructure that would have just been lost revenue and economic activity.

The answers are not easy. How do you propose diversifying and to what?
    As you said, the answers aren't easy. As stamphater said above, I think the NDP were moving in the right direction. This current government seems to be focused on removing their responsibilities of providing services for people and instead taking that money and dumping it into one big fat cat that has used up eight of it's nine lives.

I stand by the belief that Alberta squandered many opportunities to better diversify their economy over the years - and there have been a lot of good years wasted. Certainly tougher to do now; there have to be solutions though.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 03-09-2020 at 02:56 PM.

vCash

It is harder to diversify when one sector of the economy is so powerful and profitable. People go to where the money is and they always ill. BabyAlbertaYoda's little tweet is very simplistic and naive. How does Alberta diversify into renewables? Where is the competitive advantage? Where is the market for this renewable energy and why would that market not be able to produce the renewable energy themselves?

Additionally, Jim Crammer is a fool.

vCash

It is harder to diversify when one sector of the economy is so powerful and profitable. People go to where the money is and they always ill. BabyAlbertaYoda's little tweet is very simplistic and naive. How does Alberta diversify into renewables? Where is the competitive advantage? Where is the market for this renewable energy and why would that market not be able to produce the renewable energy themselves?

Additionally, Jim Crammer is a fool.
    Iím not sure what to make because DDS has said one thing and it feels like you are saying the other?
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

It is harder to diversify when one sector of the economy is so powerful and profitable.
    Some would say easier when the coffers are full because there is money to invest; regardless, hard or not, it would seem necessary. Everything worthwhile is about the challenges.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 03-09-2020 at 05:25 PM.

vCash

Did we not try the buying diversification thing in the 80's? Not sure how successful that was.

vCash

Successive governments have made attempts at "diversification" to varying degrees of success and failure. See the stats I posted before. It's not like oil and gas are 90% of our economy. It's 16%.

To say that Alberta just put all their eggs in one basket and never thought of tomorrow is just not true. It's also not true to say the NDP had any more success on that file than the old PCs did.

Are we going to blame Jason Kenney for coronavirus as well?

PS - Cramer isn't a fool. He's a fraud.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    well if you want to see a lot of wildlife Walmart is the place to go
    But not if you want toilet paper too....

vCash

Successive governments have made attempts at "diversification" to varying degrees of success and failure. See the stats I posted before. It's not like oil and gas are 90% of our economy. It's 16%.

To say that Alberta just put all their eggs in one basket and never thought of tomorrow is just not true. It's also not true to say the NDP had any more success on that file than the old PCs did.

Are we going to blame Jason Kenney for coronavirus as well?

PS - Cramer isn't a fool. He's a fraud.
    Hmmm so much to say...don’t blame him for COVID, no, that would be ignorant....however, we’re lucky his govt hasn’t been in long enough to dismantle things to the point that we would be f’ed when we start seeing community transmission& severe illness.....and not in long enough to chip away at public health infrastructure so much that we couldn’t plan & prepare & now control.....so all the good is in spite of his govt.

vCash

Sorry, but I don't see our system being dismantled.

vCash

vCash

vCash

Low taxes? Check
    Tax incentives? Check

Kenney eliminated solar panel incentives an industry that was taking off.
    He cut our the tech company tax credit
    He dissed the same thing for movie making.

Hey jobs are important as long as they are in the oils sector.

U of A is now going to go up to 1,000 positions cut.

Amazing how nicey nice he is trying to be to the medical profession now we have thus crisis when he was hacking and slashing away not more than a month ago.

As I've said any times before blanket corporate tax cuts do dick all. The majority of those handed nice breaks are going to cut no matter what.

If you actually create jobs you deserve some benefit but until you create or maintain jobs no fat tax cuts for you.