Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

vCash

Attention Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

Depth chart is up, have to say that I'm disappointed Charles hasn't found his way in

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

I guess the coaching staff feels that he's just not ready yet. IIRC they put Betts in right away and he's looked pretty good so perhaps the extra weight that Charles is carrying (mentioned by Maas in an interview) is more of an issue than we thought. Just not in CFL shape yet I guess. Good to see Smith back in there. I am hoping that we can get Draheim and SirV in for the playoffs. That would really help our oline and give us a much better chance to advance IMO.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Re: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

I just don't get it when it comes to Charles or even how they make their line up. Charles has been here a month. He's got the right passport so starting him would be a HUGE help ratio wise. Your starting QB has missed over a month and is just back in there. Chances are he will be rusty so protecting him will be important. Your offence wasn't that great right before he got hurt but has been not good at all without him. So if you want any chance of doing anything for the rest of the season, you NEED Harris. So the Esks are rolling out with Kelly, who's a below average right tackle and Saxelid at left tackle who I think has potential to be good but has 3 career starts. Some of those starts, he was a right guard. They are going up against a very good team, with a good defense and maybe the best D end in the league. On top of that, they are missing their running back Gable who's a very good blocker and have Cooper who's not as good.

Unless Charles sucks as a player, which I don't think is the case given how long he was in the NFL and he actually PLAYED games. Even if he's not quite in the shape you want him to be, to play in the CFL. How seriously bad could he be? I don't see whatever potential minimal downgrade he might be at D tackle if he isn't in perfect CFL game shape, that would be worth starting a rookie at left tackle which other than maybe center, is probably the most important position on the Oline. I get they would want to keep in Moore and Sewell. They have 21 tackles, 8 sacks, 33 tackles, 8 sacks. So you want them in. So you start one of them, keep the other behind and rotate. But you have Vickers who's another American and isn't a world beater and Mackie who's Canadian and is a special teams guy. So you even have coverage for Charles if he needs a breather. I don't see Charles being that much of a downgrade, even if he isn't in perfect game shape that is worth the risk on the Oline.

I don't get this team.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I just don't get it when it comes to Charles or even how they make their line up. Charles has been here a month. He's got the right passport so starting him would be a HUGE help ratio wise. Your starting QB has missed over a month and is just back in there. Chances are he will be rusty so protecting him will be important. Your offence wasn't that great right before he got hurt but has been not good at all without him. So if you want any chance of doing anything for the rest of the season, you NEED Harris. So the Esks are rolling out with Kelly, who's a below average right tackle and Saxelid at left tackle who I think has potential to be good but has 3 career starts. Some of those starts, he was a right guard. They are going up against a very good team, with a good defense and maybe the best D end in the league. On top of that, they are missing their running back Gable who's a very good blocker and have Cooper who's not as good.

Unless Charles sucks as a player, which I don't think is the case given how long he was in the NFL and he actually PLAYED games. Even if he's not quite in the shape you want him to be, to play in the CFL. How seriously bad could he be? I don't see whatever potential minimal downgrade he might be at D tackle if he isn't in perfect CFL game shape, that would be worth starting a rookie at left tackle which other than maybe center, is probably the most important position on the Oline. I get they would want to keep in Moore and Sewell. They have 21 tackles, 8 sacks, 33 tackles, 8 sacks. So you want them in. So you start one of them, keep the other behind and rotate. But you have Vickers who's another American and isn't a world beater and Mackie who's Canadian and is a special teams guy. So you even have coverage for Charles if he needs a breather. I don't see Charles being that much of a downgrade, even if he isn't in perfect game shape that is worth the risk on the Oline.

I don't get this team.
    do you ever wonder if you have all of the information? I'm with you on getting Charles in there as it does make a difference ratio wise but there has to be some reason they aren't doing it. What that is, I don't know.
    #PizStrong

^

That's always been the critical flaw in Q's logic is that he seems to operate on the assumption that he know's more about what's best for the team sitting over in Red Deer than the paid professionals who work with these guys on a daily basis and have their livelihoods hanging in the balance when making these decisions.

vCash

I think we all make the best assessment based on our knowledge. It is true, we don't have all the info; the coaches have a better understanding of what is going on then us fans do - although that perspective has been known to change during losing streaks

If Charles spends the rest of the season on the PR, I'm fine with it. I've waited this long for him, I can wait a little more. Love the job Betts has been doing though. The kid seems to have it.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

No major changes for the Riders. Micah Johnson back in - should help their front 4.

vCash

Are we starting 8 Nationals instead of 7?

I counted 4OL, 1REC, 1REC/FB, 1DE and 1S.

I don’t get this. We can’t upgrade a position at REC or S going to an international?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Are we starting 8 Nationals instead of 7?

I counted 4OL, 1REC, 1REC/FB, 1DE and 1S.

I don’t get this. We can’t upgrade a position at REC or S going to an international?
    I think they have all year. Allows greater flexibility in game to manage injuries.

vCash

Sask starts 7 national and we can start 8 Nationals. I don’t get it. Somebody help me understand. Are we that loaded at national that Hoover and Adjei are better then any and all internationals that we could dress...... I think not!!! Hell we got Saxfeild starting protecting Harris blindside as a raw rookie. Granted he has impressed, but you telling me we don’t have an American OL that can’t fill that position?

vCash

Sask starts 7 national and we can start 8 Nationals. I don’t get it. Somebody help me understand. Are we that loaded at national that Hoover and Adjei are better then any and all internationals that we could dress...... I think not!!! Hell we got Saxfeild starting protecting Harris blindside as a raw rookie. Granted he has impressed, but you telling me we don’t have an American OL that can’t fill that position?
    They have film on both him and Bond playing that spot, you would think that this move shows that Saxelid has graded out better than Bond as I doubt they would play games with Harris's blindside.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I’d rather start 7 Nationals and have less flexibility if it meant putting a stronger lineup together.....

Cal, Sask, Winnipeg, Ham seem to agree as they start only 7 Nationals every game and they the cream of the crop in the CFL. I guess the EE are smarter....

My 3 cents....

vCash

I’d rather start 7 Nationals and have less flexibility if it meant putting a stronger lineup together.....

Cal, Sask, Winnipeg, Ham seem to agree as they start only 7 Nationals every game and they the cream of the crop in the CFL. I guess the EE are smarter....

My 3 cents....
    What if your nationals are just better than your internationals? I know everyone wants an upgrade on Hoover or Adjei but what if they are doing exactly what the coaches ask of them? What if they are grading out high? I don't know the answers to those questions as I don't have access to the game film or play calling so I can't say for sure but you would think the coaches do their film study. If I could ask Maas 2 questions they would be:

1. What is the status of Charles and what has prevented him from being in the lineup?
    2. Why do we continue to stick with Hunter inspite of his bone headed penalties? Can Glass not play HB?
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    ^

That's always been the critical flaw in Q's logic is that he seems to operate on the assumption that he know's more about what's best for the team sitting over in Red Deer than the paid professionals who work with these guys on a daily basis and have their livelihoods hanging in the balance when making these decisions.
    Did I do something to wrong you? Is there a reason you need to take back handed shots at me so often? Is there not a way to have a discussion in this place where people don't tell me I am unknowledgeable on a topic or insult me or imply that I am uneducated or stupid. I have people mocking me about my hockey playing time when I was a team in other threads. I could go through and find multiple instances where you basically insult me because I have a different opinion on a topic or god forbid, have a mind of my own and interpret something differently.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Really, the only National spots to focus on would be Safety and receiver as we don't have a healthy International on the PR that can play O-line and I think we're fine with Kwaku and Betts at DE. I have to think if Kevin Elliott was really going to be a difference maker, he would have seen some field time instead of Christon Jones taking Tevaun Smith's spot while he was injured. Safety? Yeah, there are opportunities to improve there. There is also something to be said about how a group plays as a unit and Hoover seems to be in favour with the rest of the D players. Tough call, but you bring up an interesting point.
    What bone said about rotation due to in-game injuries is a solid point as well.

vCash

I agree that having Hunter take a seat and give the start to Glass would seem like an easy decision. I am not an expert on grading football players, however if you can’t find an American to upgrade Hoover at S I’ve got a boatload if other questions...

We can’t we have the next Walker or Mitchell on the practice roster at WR? Adjei has been very good this year but a boost at REC would be very welcome...

I just find it confusing that we start 8 Nationals when you have a perfect opportunity to find a game changer at a skilled position....

vCash

We can’t we have the next Walker or Mitchell on the practice roster at WR?
    That is the question for sure. Although we got stripped really bad in the past two years with our top 3 receivers going to the NFL and one other going to the Argos, there is no excuse for not having some fresh receiver talent on the PR. I think this is one area where our former GM seemed to be able to spot those guys a little better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    They have film on both him and Bond playing that spot, you would think that this move shows that Saxelid has graded out better than Bond as I doubt they would play games with Harris's blindside.
    I like O'Donnell better at LT than Saxelid.
    And Bond ahead of Saxelid at Guard.
    I wouldn't be surprised, with Smith back to give us 8 national Starters, if we line up:
    O'Donnell-Ruby-Beard-Bond-Kelly (Saxelid as the bakcup).
    Seems like a waste to use an import spot on a back up OL (Bond). And you need to dress a backup OL, always dress a National there.

vCash

Does anyone know if mass has been asked about why Charles is still not in the line-up?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Does anyone know if mass has been asked about why Charles is still not in the line-up?
    They should definitely dress him next week in Regina, where he played college ball.

Did I do something to wrong you? Is there a reason you need to take back handed shots at me so often? Is there not a way to have a discussion in this place where people don't tell me I am unknowledgeable on a topic or insult me or imply that I am uneducated or stupid. I have people mocking me about my hockey playing time when I was a team in other threads. I could go through and find multiple instances where you basically insult me because I have a different opinion on a topic or god forbid, have a mind of my own and interpret something differently.
    I'm sure you're a fine person, but I'm not on board with the 'smartest man in the room' shtick that frames most of your opinions about the Eskimos, which is no big deal obviously, it just leads to me replying to a disproportionate amount of your posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    They should definitely dress him next week in Regina, where he played college ball.
    I was hoping to see him this week, but I'd be pretty surprised if that doesn't end up being the case.

vCash

I’m a pessimist at the best of times but I just can’t help but think that the Esks will win this game.

The Esks and Riders are the only team yet to play each other so we have no previous matchups to go off.

The Riders for all the talk about how good they are haven’t proven to be a good road team. They are .500 and none of those wins have come against the good teams.

The argument I’ve been seeing a lot of is that the Riders have 1st to play for and the Esks have nothing. But a Stamps win tonight which I think will happen will put the 2nd last nail in that coffin as all the Stamps will have to do is beat a Reilly-less Lions to clinch 1st and it will lock the Bombers in 3rd. I could see that taking the wind out of the Riders sails a bit.
    Last edited by T-BONE; 10-25-2019 at 05:10 PM.

vCash

I would love nothing more than tomorrow's game at CW to be a preview of the 2019 Grey Cup (although you would have to give super crazy odds for me to bet on it happening )

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I'm sure you're a fine person, but I'm not on board with the 'smartest man in the room' shtick that frames most of your opinions about the Eskimos, which is no big deal obviously, it just leads to me replying to a disproportionate amount of your posts.
    Again, another shot. All I am doing is giving my opinion based on what I have seen, heard and know. That's it. I don't expect you to agree with me. You don't have to agree with me ever for all I care. Why is it necessary to make it personal?

vCash

Now an Eskimo, Temporarily an Eskimo. GO ESKS!!!

Green & Gold > Green & Mold

vCash

Well it’s gonna be a tougher game than I was expecting as now the Riders will be very motivated to move into first with one week to go after the Stamps loss last night.

vCash

Might cause them to tense up...they were going to play hard either way, I expect.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Ugh, the wind is cold today! Hope my kids can handle it.

Again, another shot. All I am doing is giving my opinion based on what I have seen, heard and know. That's it. I don't expect you to agree with me. You don't have to agree with me ever for all I care. Why is it necessary to make it personal?
    That’s all any of us are doing here.

vCash

You take personal shots at people all the time, just dont like it when someone bites back.
    #PizStrong