Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

Re: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Good things from this game imho.

I loved.. LOVED our redzone wrinkles..getting Sewell and usher in as blockers was awesome and the second td where harris span 90 degrees to hand off to cmc ( which for some reason was left off the highlight package..? ) was brilliant..

Our pass pro against supposedly the best team In the league was fantastic, I loved our moxey on the drive to tie..

Cooper is the future... he runs hard his pas pro was solid and can juke his way out of a fag packet..., imho I’d start coopercin the east final
    Obv it’s bitterly disappointing to lose on ANOTHER walk off fg

The injury to jones looked a bad one.. knees don’t bend that way.. so that’s another loss to our team

Think we can be happy of our effort against sask... they are not great. Guess it helps when u get a lot of calls go your way
    I agree that Sask is not that good, but they sure are incredibly lucky. Soft penalties extending drives, missed calls extending drives, a key missed FG from a kicker who’s usually automatic, and to top it all off an extended halftime to make adjustments when they were getting their butts kicked.

It was fun to see the Esks come out and punch them in mouth while the riders were all busy moaning about the cold weather in a game that they HAD to win.

Also agree about the new short yardage package, absolutely love it!

Re: Eskies vs Riders - have we ever had our first meeting this late in the season?

Also, it bugged me having to listen to Suiter rant about the Esks penalty problems, and then when TSN put up the graphic it showed that the riders are WORSE than the Esks for taking O and D penalties, they only made up the difference on STs where we’re comparing a coordinator of about two decades in this league to a rookie.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Thanks! Higher than I would have thought.
    That might have been tickets sold but actual attendance would not have been over 10,000, no way.

vCash

Lots of comments about how the Riders aren’t that good and get lucky a lot.

They’ve caught some breaks this year, there is no denying that. But good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. That final drive hammers home that point.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    You’re missing everything. Being tied or one point up wouldn’t have made any difference if the friggin D had done it’s job, gotten a stop & turned the ball to the O with good field position & lots of time left on the clock.
    Sask going in to the final drive thinking that if they don't score it's okay, they have a tie and can go to OT is very different that knowing that if you don't score you lose.

If you have your foot on a teams throat, you need to step down harder. Yes the D needed to make a stop but that was a big error in coaching by Maas.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Sask going in to the final drive thinking that if they don't score it's okay, they have a tie and can go to OT is very different that knowing that if you don't score you lose.

If you have your foot on a teams throat, you need to step down harder. Yes the D needed to make a stop but that was a big error in coaching by Maas.
    Disagree big time. Going for two there would have seriously defied all conventional logic, look no further than the fact that Suiter was advocating for it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

They’ve caught some breaks this year, there is no denying that. But good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. That final drive hammers home that point.
    The Esks have shown that they can play with anyone in this league, but they haven’t yet learned how to win. That’s something that most teams will learn with time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Disagree big time. Going for two there would have seriously defied all conventional logic, look no further than the fact that Suiter was advocating for it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

The Esks have shown that they can play with anyone in this league, but they haven’t yet learned how to win. That’s something that most teams will learn with time.
    Going for the win with less than 2 minutes to go is bad....why?
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

Going for the win with less than 2 minutes to go is bad....why?
    Because if you don’t get it then all the riders need is two or three first downs to kill some clock and punt you deep instead of needing to drive into FG range.

I’ll admit given the circumstances with us not needing the two points in the standing I wouldn’t have minded them trying it out but normally you do what Mass did every time.

- - - Updated - - -

1-9 against playoff teams. And we aren’t winning in Mosaic so it will be 1-10.

I pray that I only have to watch a few more games of Maas.
    Unless we get blown out in Montreal I think he will be back next year.

Yesterday was a gutsy performance by an Eskimo team with nothing on the line but pride, against a rider team that was too busy crying about the wind and the cold for half the game to care about how important it was to them.

vCash

Riders played prob as well as they could last night.. I wouldn’t say they were worthy winners, I’m sure we would have felt had we had another 2 mins and the ball back we could have done the same..

Credit to the riders .. 12 wins is 12 wins.. but for a team who is 8-9 and not beat a play off team since week 1.. we look like we’re gonna be ok in the play offs and I also think our dline pressure will cause Montreal some real problems

vCash

I'm not sure what the talk about discipline in this thread would be referring to. The Eskimos were penalized (and accepted) three times in yesterday's game. On Saskatchewan's first touchdown drive Hightower got a roughing call when Rosevelt was getting up and moving the ball forward. The very next play Evans is pushing Josh Johnson in the back away from the ball. The official was right there and didn't make a call. Interestingly TSN shows a close up replay after Johnson has been pushed away from the ball, like it has been edited to not display the interference. As such the Eskimos don't challenge.

This was one of the most disappointing losses of the season for me, mostly because the defence could not stop the Riders on that last drive. I've just started watching the pvr of it and have to wonder what the PI against the Eskimos on that Interception was like.
    Last edited by Esks1975; 10-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.

vCash

Cooper is the future... he runs hard his pas pro was solid and can juke his way out of a fag packet..., imho I’d start coopercin the east final

Think we can be happy of our effort against sask... they are not great. Guess it helps when u get a lot of calls go your way
    a what???

As mentioned above we got screwed on some calls. But we have to live with it. We aren't TSN's favorite so will wont get calls even if they are clear as day.

The D is a Joke. So many times a WR was wide open 15 plus yards. SO many teams attack the short side aka Johnston and Hunter for deep plays its ridiculous. Ans 9/10 times they are complete. With a ****ty secondary like that, be it players or Lolley's schemes, they have no chance of beating Montreal. Lets not forget we also have issues against mobile QBs....

As for attendance... 12-15k tops.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I'm not sure what the talk about discipline in this thread would be referring to. The Eskimos were penalized (and accepted) three times in yesterday's game. On Saskatchewan's first touchdown drive Hightower got a roughing call when Rosevelt was getting up and moving the ball forward. The very next play Evans is pushing Josh Johnson in the back away from the ball. The official was right there and didn't make a call. Interestingly TSN shows a close up replay after Johnson has been pushed away from the ball, like it has been edited to not display the interference. As such the Eskimos don't challenge.

This was one of the most disappointing losses of the season for me, mostly because the defence could not stop the Riders on that last drive.
    I agree with you about the penalties and usually in the riders favour...

They couldn’t even explain away Unambas penalty suitor was at a loss,

I even felt the the unsportsmanlike in Johnson in Saskatchewan first td was harsh.. this is football, he caaight the ball, fell on the ground.. u don’t have to put two hands on him.. your allowed to hit a wr especially as he allowed to get up and run.. he hit in with his shoulder pad.. that as never a flag... never..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    a what???

As mentioned above we got screwed on some calls. But we have to live with it. We aren't TSN's favorite so will wont get calls even if they are clear as day.

The D is a Joke. So many times a WR was wide open 15 plus yards. SO many teams attack the short side aka Johnston and Hunter for deep plays its ridiculous. Ans 9/10 times they are complete. With a ****ty secondary like that, be it players or Lolley's schemes, they have no chance of beating Montreal. Lets not forget we also have issues against mobile QBs....

Cigarette packet.. lol

vCash

Despite the loss I am encouraged by the fact that we were able to to go toe-to-toe with one of the top teams in the league. That said, our DB’s are awful and we just cannot seem to stop teams from putting together key drives.

I agree with you about the penalties and usually in the riders favour...

They couldn’t even explain away Unambas penalty suitor was at a loss,

I even felt the the unsportsmanlike in Johnson in Saskatchewan first td was harsh.. this is football, he caaight the ball, fell on the ground.. u don’t have to put two hands on him.. your allowed to hit a wr especially as he allowed to get up and run.. he hit in with his shoulder pad.. that as never a flag... never..

- - - Updated - - -

Cigarette packet.. lol
    It was Hightower but again, you're right. When Hightower committed to the hit Rosie was on his way back up but it looked like he let up a bit when he saw Hightower coming. In that case if Hightower tries to get away with just touching him down Rosie probably gets up and is in a much better position to avoid getting tackled.

- - - Updated - - -

a what???

The pass D was great in the first half but sask was able to capitalize on the extra adjustment time at half and found the holes in the third quarter before Lolly counter adjusted and tightened things up again.

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Despite the loss I am encouraged by the fact that we were able to to go toe-to-toe with one of the top teams in the league. That said, our DB’s are awful and we just cannot seem to stop teams from putting together key drives.
    There's still some areas that need improving but this is not a team that's hopelessly out-matched or out-classed, they just need to find away to turn the corner.

One thing I will say is that Daniels has been a huge disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Not only is his target/catch ratio abysmal it seems like every time the ball comes his way he's in panic mode and forgetting all his fundamentals. 90% of the time you can tell that he's about to drop it just by watching his body language while the ball's in the air.

vCash

For those that watched the game on TV, I'm pretty sure that the lights were turned off on purpose. There was some marching band type of group of random people from different parts of Alberta that were slapped together to do the half time show. They sounded like they have never practiced together. Then the lights were turned off and there were fireworks that seemed to be excess from a lack of touchdowns scored over the season or something. Then they turned the lights back on.

Why there was a TV time out after the final three minute warning is something that should be asked and answered. That should not happen at all.

TSN is going to destroy the CFL because they do not pay enough for the rights to cover what teams are going to lose at the gate. Attendance at games is a league wide problem and the flow of the game is destroyed by TSN. Why start watching a game at 7:00 when the game starts at 7:10, there is a TV time out after every series that isn't two-and-out and sometimes between a kick-off and the next play? Just pvr the game, stay off your iPad and start watching the game late and skip through the adverts. You can do that at home an it is great. You can't do that at the stadium and look what is happening!

vCash

You know, my $0.02
    At this point of the season I don’t care if the Esks win or lose.
    Tired of the lost opportunities and crappy seasons, and all the platitudes and blah blah blah.
    In the last 14 years we have had one great and one good season.
    Our most successful years are ancient history.
    Team is 8 and 9 on the season. Bravo, we went toe to toe (but of course lost) to that powerhouse the Riders.
    Grrrrrrrrrr
    The Esks have sucked for so long, that mediocre looks like a big step up.
    Here’s a bulletin. It’s 2019. People have a plethora of other ways to entertain themselves than sitting out in the cold drinking $10+ beers, with sound system noise blasting out their ears, being told when to shout, when to clap - while watching the home team suck at a B-league level game that is constantly interrupted by endless commercial breaks and other malarkey.

You heard it here first. Five more years of this and the losing franchises will begin to fold.
    Last edited by Moon1; 10-27-2019 at 05:16 PM.

vCash

The pass D was great in the first half but sask was able to capitalize on the extra adjustment time at half and found the holes in the third quarter before Lolly counter adjusted and tightened things up again.
    Sorry When did this happen? i watched a Rider team march up and down the field during the 4th by passing to wide open receivers down field not to mention the final drive. As soon as they got the ball I said to my seat companion its done. They'll have zero issues passing downfield to get into fg position. So ya great adjustments by Lolly

vCash

For those that watched the game on TV, I'm pretty sure that the lights were turned off on purpose. There was some marching band type of group of random people from different parts of Alberta that were slapped together to do the half time show. They sounded like they have never practiced together. Then the lights were turned off and there were fireworks that seemed to be excess from a lack of touchdowns scored over the season or something. Then they turned the lights back on.

Why there was a TV time out after the final three minute warning is something that should be asked and answered. That should not happen at all.

TSN is going to destroy the CFL because they do not pay enough for the rights to cover what teams are going to lose at the gate. Attendance at games is a league wide problem and the flow of the game is destroyed by TSN. Why start watching a game at 7:00 when the game starts at 7:10, there is a TV time out after every series that isn't two-and-out and sometimes between a kick-off and the next play? Just pvr the game, stay off your iPad and start watching the game late and skip through the adverts. You can do that at home an it is great. You can't do that at the stadium and look what is happening!

Twiter has the Eskimos mentioning there was a power failure at CW.. maybe they had to reboot the system.

And Yes... the flow of the game is horrible thanks to TSN. Its almost unbearable to be at the games. I went to the Oilers game against the caps ( first time at a Oilers game in a couple decades) amd the game day flow and atmosphere is night and day. Rogers is loud in volume and lights, with the right style music and an actual DJ not the POS the Esks hired. Rogers is clearly geared to the younger crowd. Now if the in rink announcer, or hype man whatever he is could dial it the **** down.... jeebus he's annoying as ****.

Sorry When did this happen? i watched a Rider team march up and down the field during the 4th by passing to wide open receivers down field not to mention the final drive. As soon as they got the ball I said to my seat companion its done. They'll have zero issues passing downfield to get into fg position. So ya great adjustments by Lolly
    Did you? Because after a big 3rd quarter the riders only had about 60 yards of passing in the fourth until that final drive, over half of which came on the play where Evans clearly pushed off Johnson, and there was a couple of sacks and a two and out in there as well.

I had a bad feeling going into the last drive as well but that's because that's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for a D that's tough to get out of. If you cover down and bring pressure you risk a big play over the top but if you take away the big play you leave all the short and medium stuff underneath which allows a team to nickle and dime their way down while killing clock, just like we did to end the first half. It's a sh!tty spot to be in. And I know people will say just play aggressive like you have all game and take the risk of getting beat quick over the top and I'm not against that TBH, but then you have to live with the possibility of getting Stegalled like in '06 again.*

vCash

I never thought I would see the day that this once proud franchise and its fan base would be resorting to saying a 12-6 team isn't very good and saying they are lucky. The Esks had the lead but the better team battled back and won the game. The Esks are 8-9 for a reason and it showed. The Riders are 12-6 and it showed. The better team won.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Wow sectionQ, are you Terry Jones in disguise or something? No where in this thread did anyone say that the 12-6 team isn't very good and that they are lucky. Jason Maas in the interview after the game said that the Riders are a very good team. You're making crap up. I guess the good thing is it didn't take 1,000 words to say something this time.

vCash

There's still some areas that need improving but this is not a team that's hopelessly out-matched or out-classed, they just need to find away to turn the corner.

One thing I will say is that Daniels has been a huge disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Not only is his target/catch ratio abysmal it seems like every time the ball comes his way he's in panic mode and forgetting all his fundamentals. 90% of the time you can tell that he's about to drop it just by watching his body language while the ball's in the air.

this 100%.
    guy looks disinterested.

lot of times its the little things adding up to a loss. I counted 3 critical drops from him that literally would've swung the game our way if he had maybe even 2 of em. Ball hit his hands. you gotta come up with them. no compete. although im judging from my keyboard , but that's the impression I get
    Last edited by Maas_12; 10-28-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Wow sectionQ, are you Terry Jones in disguise or something? No where in this thread did anyone say that the 12-6 team isn't very good and that they are lucky. Jason Maas in the interview after the game said that the Riders are a very good team. You're making crap up. I guess the good thing is it didn't take 1,000 words to say something this time.
    To be fair I did actually say that but that's only because the general assumption around here seems to be that we are a bad team. The riders are a decent team who are overachieving and catching a lot of lucky breaks along the way. Most of their wins have come against backup QB's some, in their first starts, they take more penalties on O and D than we do, one of their wins was awarded to them for having a slight lead a little over half way through a game which has never happened before in league history, and then to top it all off they came out completely flat, complaining about wind and cold in a must win game, but then found themselves with an extended halftime break to design their counter attack, not to mention numerous lucky breaks that resulted in sustaining eventual TD drives for them in the second half.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 10-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I never thought I would see the day that this once proud franchise and its fan base would be resorting to saying a 12-6 team isn't very good and saying they are lucky. The Esks had the lead but the better team battled back and won the game. The Esks are 8-9 for a reason and it showed. The Riders are 12-6 and it showed. The better team won.
    You're right it did show, the difference between these two teams is that one gets the breaks when they need them and the other hasn't learned how to make that happen yet. That's really all it comes down to.

vCash

Well another frustrating "almost" win, we seem to always be in the game but can never finish it out. I echo Bens comments about Daniels, seems like the only time he catches it, is when he's wide open, he loses the 50/50 ball A LOT. Have to give Fajardo some of the credit here as in the last drive, we had them second and long near their goal line and he makes a perfect throw on the out route to a well covered receiver. If he doesn't make that throw, there is a really good chance we come away with the W.
    #PizStrong

vCash

If you look at Edmonton's record with 2 point conversions, I'd be inclined to go for the tie and count on my D. If you think the opposing offense was relaxed with facing a tie and OT, how would they be knowing they just need to grind out the clock with a 1 point lead?
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    If you look at Edmonton's record with 2 point conversions, I'd be inclined to go for the tie and count on my D. If you think the opposing offense was relaxed with facing a tie and OT, how would they be knowing they just need to grind out the clock with a 1 point lead?
    I would have gone for 2 but for a different reason that being considering the game meant nothing in the standings and all we would gain on it would be some momentum for the playoffs and a nice moment for the home fans (great things yes but not critical). I would have gone for 2 simply because I wouldn't want the game to go into OT and risk an injury that could come with any extra time spent on the field.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Go for two...what exactly did they Esks have to lose trying for it? Like Rod Black above me said!

And our pass D was embarrassing on that last drive. Just awful. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Lolley's D at times this year but he's still a MAJOR step up from Benevides.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Go for two...what exactly did they Esks have to lose trying for it? Like Rod Black above me said!

And our pass D was embarrassing on that last drive. Just awful. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Lolley's D at times this year but he's still a MAJOR step up from Benevides.
    even if we had went for 2, the results would have been the same as they still drove down for the winning FG, just may have been a little easier for them if we had failed.
    #PizStrong