Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Campbell is on the Market

vCash

Hot Rick Campbell is on the Market

So, fresh out of Ottawa this morning. Rick Campbell is parting way with the Red Blacks. He was not booted out, he chose to leave. There are no details on his planned next steps.

This opens up a whole can of worms in Edmonton. Would he be interested in going back to the family football homestead? Have the Esks been secretly wooing him? Is time up for Maas?

Talk amongst yourselves.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

Considering his record overall with Ottawa, this is surprising.
    When you look at the "feud" reported between Campbell and Desjardins it makes more sense.
    Not sure what we are going to do, but I would expect Toronto to definitely take a look.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

A weakened Ottawa team is not good for the league.

He must have something lined up. Does the Ottawa west move continue?

vCash

Unless they hand the keys over to Noel Thorpe, I'd expect him to be coaching somewhere else as well. Even if they offered Thorpe the head coaching job, I'm not sure he'd take it.

vCash

Rick Campbell will be the next HC of the Edmonton Eskimos. Book it.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

The GM lets most of their best players walk in free agency including the starting QB.
    The GM replaces their starting QB with a few guys who might not be in the CFL next year and a guy who maybe can be a mediocre back up in Davis.
    The OC up and quits for a different job, was it even a week before the season started? Maybe someone can remember as I am not 100% on that. I just know it was very close to the season opener.

All that happens but it's the HC's fault the team can't win? You can't win games without adequate QB's and it wouldn't shock me if none of Ottawa's QB's have jobs next season.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    At this point I think the only thing that saves Maas job is a grey cup appearance.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Wash your mouth out.. lol

vCash

Interesting sub-plot of this is that Campbell quit, which means that his 2020 salary will not count vs the Redblacks coaches' cap. Had he been fired, they would have to count it against that cap and would have really hamstrung them finding quality candidates.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The GM lets most of their best players walk in free agency including the starting QB.
    The GM replaces their starting QB with a few guys who might not be in the CFL next year and a guy who maybe can be a mediocre back up in Davis.
    The OC up and quits for a different job, was it even a week before the season started? Maybe someone can remember as I am not 100% on that. I just know it was very close to the season opener.

All that happens but it's the HC's fault the team can't win? You can't win games without adequate QB's and it wouldn't shock me if none of Ottawa's QB's have jobs next season.
    100% agree with that. I blame Ottawa's disaster on the GM 99% and only the coach 1%. How was he expected to make chicken salad out of chicken ****
    In Rod we trust

vCash

What about LaPolice for HC here?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Gum Guy View Post
    What about LaPolice for HC here?
    He’s not top of my list...

vCash

I started a thread on this topic at 7:39 AM. Wish to thank the powers that be for closing that thread.

vCash

Agreed, they were a disaster BEFORE free agency hit as they had already told Harris that he wasn't going to be back eventhough he was offering a home town discount. Reflecting on the year and the QBs they rolled with, you would have to think that Marcel figures he's smarter than he actually is as he made this mess.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Interesting sub-plot of this is that Campbell quit, which means that his 2020 salary will not count vs the Redblacks coaches' cap. Had he been fired, they would have to count it against that cap and would have really hamstrung them finding quality candidates.
    I Just read a local Ottawa article where Desjardin said they were covering his salary for next year. Not sure if that counts against the cap or a goodwill gesture.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    I Just read a local Ottawa article where Desjardin said they were covering his salary for next year. Not sure if that counts against the cap or a goodwill gesture.
    If the league allows them to cover his salary without the hit, they might as well just throw out the stupid SMS cap for coaches.
    Actually, they should throw it out anyway. Keep the numbers for maximum staff in football ops though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, since most of our team is comprised of ex-Ottawa players, it would be interesting to find out how they feel about Rick...

... and there you go.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If the league allows them to cover his salary without the hit, they might as well just throw out the stupid SMS cap for coaches.
    Actually, they should throw it out anyway. Keep the numbers for maximum staff in football ops though.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, since most of our team is comprised of ex-Ottawa players, it would be interesting to find out how they feel about Rick...

... and there you go.
    That would mean the league would need to apply some common sense which is clearly not the case. Right up there with their decision to add a 2nd global player while deleting the 3rd string QB. After all not important for the league to develop furture QBs. Right.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    That would mean the league would need to apply some common sense which is clearly not the case. Right up there with their decision to add a 2nd global player while deleting the 3rd string QB. After all not important for the league to develop furture QBs. Right.
    I'm in the same boat as you with the global players. I think its a good idea for expanding the CFL brand but was there even 1 that made an impact this year? I know we had the first pick and Viamontes (or however you spell it) looked like Rudy out there in Sask.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Clarification on the salary "buyout" for Rick Campbell

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Clarification on the salary "buyout" for Rick Campbell

I assume this is like in the NHL, where a team will grant a fired coach still under contract the right to seek new employment. Conditional on any new offer/paycheque is deducted from what the former team still owes you. Redblacks would then pay that amount over 5 years of the cap.

We don't know all the details but I interpret it as:
    1) Campbell doesn't coach in 2020 and Redblacks have a big cap hit to deal with for 5 years
    2) Campbell enters a hot market for coaches and gets same/better salary - no cap hit for Redblacks
    3) Campbell gets a contract for less than his old deal - Redblacks deal with a smaller cap hit spread over 5 years.

In scenario 3, I guess Campbell could sign for a very low paying 1 year deal - screw the Redblacks over - and use the coach savings to spend more on coordinators. Not sure if the contract has some protection for the Redblacks against that. But I guess at this point any savings is good for them.

vCash

Next year:

BC: Claybrooks
    Edm: Campbell
    Cal: Red Dickenson
    Sask: Green Dickenson
    Wpg: Lapolice

Ham: Steinauer
    Tor: O’Shea
    Ott: Maas
    Mtl: Jones

And you can take that to the bank!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Next year:

BC: Claybrooks
    Edm: Campbell
    Cal: Red Dickenson
    Sask: Green Dickenson
    Wpg: Lapolice

Ham: Steinauer
    Tor: O’Shea
    Ott: Maas
    Mtl: Jones

And you can take that to the bank!
    Thats my coaching lineup as well
    #PizStrong

vCash

So what you're saying is the GM had 0% responsibility for the team that started the season 2-0 versus the teams who wound up 1-2 in the West and was tied for 2nd in the East at 3-4 in early August but deserves 100% of the blame for the team who went 0-11 after August 2nd? Rick Campbell might be a nice guy but coaches who finish seasons on 11 game losing streaks rarely keep their jobs no matter what the extenuating circumstances might be.

vCash

It's actually somewhat interesting looking at Campbell's record in Ottawa. It's almost symetrical. First and last years he combined for 5-31. Second and second last seasons he combined for 23-13. In the middle were back to back 8-9-1 seasons. Overall he was 22-31-1 in his first 3 years and an identical 22-31-1 in his final 2 seasons. Overall he posted a .417 winning percentage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    It's actually somewhat interesting looking at Campbell's record in Ottawa. It's almost symetrical. First and last years he combined for 5-31. Second and second last seasons he combined for 23-13. In the middle were back to back 8-9-1 seasons. Overall he was 22-31-1 in his first 3 years and an identical 22-31-1 in his final 2 seasons. Overall he posted a .417 winning percentage.
    His record isn’t good enough imho.. the east has been consistently weak and outside of the 12- 6 rookie season I don’t think his record will hold water out west

Just my opinion

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    He’s not top of my list...
    Just curious who would be the top three on your list ? As I totally respect all of your comments and feedback

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    So what you're saying is the GM had 0% responsibility for the team that started the season 2-0 versus the teams who wound up 1-2 in the West and was tied for 2nd in the East at 3-4 in early August but deserves 100% of the blame for the team who went 0-11 after August 2nd? Rick Campbell might be a nice guy but coaches who finish seasons on 11 game losing streaks rarely keep their jobs no matter what the extenuating circumstances might be.
    Well the GM puts together the team and the GM made the decision to not resign the following guys:
    Ellingston - One of their star receivers.
    Harris - Their star QB.
    Rogers - Their star left tackle. Left tackle might be the most important offensive line positions.
    Powell - Their star running back.
    Spencer- Was a 1000 yard receiver they just released.

So there is 5 out of their starting 12 on offense gone and replaced with who? The most important being the QB. I think Harris signed for something like 550K. I wouldn't put Harris in the top tier of QB's but I would say he's a good QB and you can't win without a good QB. A good QB makes a good wage and I don't think Harris at around 550 is grossly overpaid. They replaced Harris with Davis who was unproven and wasn't very good and they brought in Jennings. Jennings has been trending down for serval years now. He's not a good QB. So while I don't think Campbell is an elite coach, I don't think any coach could get much more out of Ottawa. It was a poorly constructed roster with the weakness being at the most important position which is QB.

Redblacks threw 11 TD's compared to 27 picks. I don't know how that can be put on the head coach.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 11-05-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Just curious who would be the top three on your list ? As I totally respect all of your comments and feedback
    He was third.. I really like Thorpe, and I think there is a lot of upside or potential in condell, he has previous experience at southeastern as a hc, so it’s not alien to him..

If you hire either of them they take 1 side of the ball then u have to find a solid Dc/Oc claybrooks could be out of a job and I’d take him as a Dc to foil condell on offence for sure, same maybe said for jarious.. young Oc cutting his teeth.. he may blossom in a new environment

Lapo I think is a good Oc not a dynamic Oc but good, I am not sure he would leave Winnipeg

Campbell u would need to hire 3 coordinators as well.. would be potentially bring Thorpe in? Prob not as he would stay in otta as hc candidate or if Jason gets hired there..
    So he’s not ideal for me..

Again this is all my opinion I could be WAY off the charts here.. wouldn’t be the first time

vCash

Well the GM puts together the team and the GM made the decision to not resign the following guys:
    Ellingston - One of their star receivers.
    Harris - Their star QB.
    Rogers - Their star left tackle. Left tackle might be the most important offensive line positions.
    Powell - Their star running back.
    Spencer- Was a 1000 yard receiver they just released.

So there is 5 out of their starting 12 on offense gone and replaced with who? The most important being the QB. I think Harris signed for something like 550K. I wouldn't put Harris in the top tier of QB's but I would say he's a good QB and you can't win without a good QB. A good QB makes a good wage and I don't think Harris at around 550 is grossly overpaid. They replaced Harris with Davis who was unproven and wasn't very good and they brought in Jennings. Jennings has been trending down for serval years now. He's not a good QB. So while I don't think Campbell is an elite coach, I don't think any coach could get much more out of Ottawa. It was a poorly constructed roster with the weakness being at the most important position which is QB.

Redblacks threw 11 TD's compared to 27 picks. I don't know how that can be put on the head coach.
    I'm with you on this one as a jumbled roster like they had can get out to a decent start but once guys get film on your QB and your new players, that's when it gets difficult. The good QBs can adjust and move forward, the bad ones will go away eventually.

I would wash Campbells hands completely but I also would hold him to task for this or his first year as the product he was provided with was league worst, at least in my opinion.
    #PizStrong