Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Campbell is on the Market

vCash

Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

i dont see why the local media has the knives out for Maas.

We have likely the worst set of DB’s in the league. Below average receivers, average O line and a starting qb who was leading the league in every category despite mediocre receivers , then got hurt , played two games without being able to pass more than 20 yards, had to miss 6 weeks to heal then almost beat the first place team in the west in his first game back , and would have if we didn’t have 2-3 db’s who wouldn’t make any other team in the league.

This is not a skilled team. The only two import starters Brock has recruited in three years from the US are Money Hunter and Nick Usher. Two below average players who could be replaced in free agency below the league average salary. To blame this season on Maas, when the team was gutted in the off season and largely replaced in free agency , but with absolutely zero depth at any position due to poor American scouting, is crazy. Sunderland’s job is to bring in good players. Look at the practice roster it is a joke . The only receiver is Kevin Elliot. No db’s ... the stamps
    Had three rookie db’s in the lineup last night and they all basically play at all star level. Brock spent the off-season going through castoffs from Montreal and Winnipeg to find half our starters in the backfield and didn’t bring in one rookie who could challenge to be a starter for the third consecutive season.

The problem in this team is not the coach it’s the mediocre players behind the All star free agent signings and the complete lack of depth throughout the lineup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm with you on this one as a jumbled roster like they had can get out to a decent start but once guys get film on your QB and your new players, that's when it gets difficult. The good QBs can adjust and move forward, the bad ones will go away eventually.

I would wash Campbells hands completely but I also would hold him to task for this or his first year as the product he was provided with was league worst, at least in my opinion.
    I have just had a season with no qb... we went 6-4 and made the play offs but we were eliminated quickly and in division play the top team washed us aside. It’s hard to win with out a qb and I leaned on my decade of coaching experience to help me through that..

The biggest mistake Campbell made was not having a Oc, not having 1 man.. 1 vision.. I assure u there are oc’s Out there and all of us have a playbook.. so if you hired him 1 day before preseason started, u still had a plan and a ethos to adhere to, I’m sure a guy like matsakis would have returned north if he was asked last minute, I’m sure there are more cfl experienced oc’s that I just can’t remember but personally I would have stuck with October and let him cut his teeth, even if he was using Elizondo’s book and concepts.. it’s something to build on.. to committee it is a mess u wouldn’t believe unless u were in the room, then to let poapoa call the Plays was a final mistake they could not get past on offence and I hold Campbell fully accountable for this as hc

Stuff I for sure wouldn’t wanna see here...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    i dont see why the local media has the knives out for Maas.

We have likely the worst set of DBís in the league. Below average receivers, average O line and a starting qb who was leading the league in every category despite mediocre receivers , then got hurt , played two games without being able to pass more than 20 yards, had to miss 6 weeks to heal then almost beat the first place team in the west in his first game back , and would have if we didnít have 2-3 dbís who wouldnít make any other team in the league.

This is not a skilled team. The only two import starters Brock has recruited in three years from the US are Money Hunter and Nick Usher. Two below average players who could be replaced in free agency below the league average salary. To blame this season on Maas, when the team was gutted in the off season and largely replaced in free agency , but with absolutely zero depth at any position due to poor American scouting, is crazy. Sunderlandís job is to bring in good players. Look at the practice roster it is a joke . The only receiver is Kevin Elliot. No dbís ... the stamps
    Had three rookie dbís in the lineup last night and they all basically play at all star level. Brock spent the off-season going through castoffs from Montreal and Winnipeg to find half our starters in the backfield and didnít bring in one rookie who could challenge to be a starter for the third consecutive season.

The problem in this team is not the coach itís the mediocre players behind the All star free agent signings and the complete lack of depth throughout the lineup.
    Fair enough, but I think where the media (and frankly a large percentage of the Eskimo fans I've encountered outside this forum) is finally pulling their knives out is that this is year 4, and there has been recurring themes season by season under his direction.

Outside of a few players (McCarty, Sewell, O'Donnell, Adjei, Beard, Whyte, King) Maas has been the only constant through that time. Different Presidents, different GMs, different coordinators, different QBs, different players, but same recurring themes of inconsistency, long losing streaks, losing the majority of the games against the better half of the league, discipline issues, etc. Overall result has been a record worse than the previous year 3 of his 4 seasons.

I personally think there is a coach in there, but it may be time for him to "get a second opinion" elsewhere.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I have just had a season with no qb... we went 6-4 and made the play offs but we were eliminated quickly and in division play the top team washed us aside. It’s hard to win with out a qb and I leaned on my decade of coaching experience to help me through that..

The biggest mistake Campbell made was not having a Oc, not having 1 man.. 1 vision.. I assure u there are oc’s Out there and all of us have a playbook.. so if you hired him 1 day before preseason started, u still had a plan and a ethos to adhere to, I’m sure a guy like matsakis would have returned north if he was asked last minute, I’m sure there are more cfl experienced oc’s that I just can’t remember but personally I would have stuck with October and let him cut his teeth, even if he was using Elizondo’s book and concepts.. it’s something to build on.. to committee it is a mess u wouldn’t believe unless u were in the room, then to let poapoa call the Plays was a final mistake they could not get past on offence and I hold Campbell fully accountable for this as hc

Stuff I for sure wouldn’t wanna see here...
    All fair points in regards to Campbell and one of the reasons I wouldn't be overly thrilled to see him here. As far as Maas goes, I've always been a big supporter but have to admit that I am wavering. The thing that bothers me the most is that we always seem to go on long losing streaks and almost always come out on the short end of a close game. He keeps us in almost every game but the narrow losses far outweigh the narrow wins, at least off the top of my head anyways.
    #PizStrong

vCash

All fair points in regards to Campbell and one of the reasons I wouldn't be overly thrilled to see him here. As far as Maas goes, I've always been a big supporter but have to admit that I am wavering. The thing that bothers me the most is that we always seem to go on long losing streaks and almost always come out on the short end of a close game. He keeps us in almost every game but the narrow losses far outweigh the narrow wins, at least off the top of my head anyways.
    The losing streaks every year are def the most irritating thing about coach maas ur spot on with that!

vCash

The losing streaks every year are def the most irritating thing about coach maas ur spot on with that!
    And the fact that these streaks have consistently either led into or out of Labour Day makes it all the more frustrating. I think they've been top 2 pretty much every year going into late August and end up third or fourth by late September.

2017 - 7-0 and first place on August 15th. 7-6 by September 30.
    2018 - 6-3 and competing for the second seed in the west on August 19th. 7-7 by end of September and in danger of missing playoffs (followed up with another loss first week of October).
    2019 - 6-3 going into a head to head against Winnipeg for first place as of August 17th. 6-7 and eliminated from hosting a home playoff game by September 21st.

Even 2016 wasn't bad heading into Labour Day at 5-4 despite major coaching staff change, only to drop to 5-7 by September 19th and needing a 5-1 finish just to get to the crossover.

4-13 in the month of September throughout his coaching career. That's why we haven't got a sniff of home field in his tenure. 2-10 the last three years.
    Last edited by bone; 11-05-2019 at 01:33 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    And the fact that these streaks have consistently either led into or out of Labour Day makes it all the more frustrating. I think they've been top 2 pretty much every year going into late August and end up third or fourth by late September.
    Correct ... I feel the same way.. the mid season slumps are something u have to try and fix.

vCash

I heard on the radio that Jones doesn't have contract in Montreal for next year. I'd be way happier with him than Rick.

vCash

Correct ... I feel the same way.. the mid season slumps are something u have to try and fix.
    The worst part of it is because those games have often been in division, changing that 2-10 the last three years into even a modest 6-6, they likely could have hosted at least one playoff game in that time frame, possibly even a western final.
    Last edited by bone; 11-05-2019 at 01:40 PM.

vCash

I like Maas Will never forget what he did in 2005.... however I've often thought if we didnt have Maas as HC would we constantly be cornholed by TSN?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I like Maas Will never forget what he did in 2005.... however I've often thought if we didnt have Maas as HC would we constantly be cornholed by TSN?
    That's one of the reasons I'd like him to stay. I'd love for us to win with him despite TSNs best efforts to black ball him. But alas, they'll never let that happen so maybe it's best to move on.

vCash

If they do decide to part ways with Maas, which I believe is almost a certainty short of a GC win, I hope that they cast a wider net when searching for a replacement and do not just limit themselves to guys already in the CFL.

One would think that there would be lots of potential candidates from down south from the college ranks. I am not sure what coaches make there as compared to here or how hard it would be to entice someone to come up here but I think that it would be worth a look.

vCash

I'm sure somebody from Whitworth College would come pretty cheap.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    I'm sure somebody from Whitworth College would come pretty cheap.
    Who Mike Riley?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Riley

vCash

wouldn't that be an interesting press conference. The border line fans would be shocked that it wasn't the Mike Riley they already know
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Rick Campbell will be the next HC of the Edmonton Eskimos. Book it.
    Oh groan. I certainly hope not.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

wouldn't that be an interesting press conference. The border line fans would be shocked that it wasn't the Mike Riley they already know
    But he's got just as many Grey Cups!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    If they do decide to part ways with Maas, which I believe is almost a certainty short of a GC win, I hope that they cast a wider net when searching for a replacement and do not just limit themselves to guys already in the CFL.

One would think that there would be lots of potential candidates from down south from the college ranks.

Hiring a rookie coach without CFL experience would be an absolute disaster. Canadian coaching experience is essential.
    Radically Canadian!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post

Hiring a rookie coach without CFL experience would be an absolute disaster. Canadian coaching experience is essential.
    honest question, when was the last time that hiring from the states worked?
    #PizStrong

vCash

honest question, when was the last time that hiring from the states worked?
    Trestman, I think. June Jones wasn't too bad either, but he had at least one season in the CFL prior, but it was 30 years prior, so not sure if it's relevant.

Most of the others coming from the US to have any sort of success that I can think of at least had prior ties to the CFL either as players or coaching in some capacity.

But that said, who can we say in the last 10 years was a very successful new hire as a head coach? Hufnagel.... and Dickenson seems to be keeping his ship running. Rick Campbell had some relative success and continuity for four years in Ottawa, but generally the last 10 years or so has been Calgary with a lot of teams having a successful season or two before dropping back again. As such, I think the most successful HC hires not by Calgary in the last ten or so years are Chris Jones and Rick Campbell.

No one seems able to find the "next one", unless it turns out to be Steinhauer.
    Last edited by bone; 11-05-2019 at 04:01 PM.

vCash

Trestman, I think. June Jones wasn't too bad either, but he had at least one season in the CFL prior, but it was 30 years prior, so not sure if it's relevant.

Most of the others coming from the US to have any sort of success that I can think of at least had prior ties to the CFL either as players or coaching in some capacity.
    forgot about Trestman. Wonder why it never worked out for him in TO? would people be upset with him as our HC?
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post

One would think that there would be lots of potential candidates from down south from the college ranks. I am not sure what coaches make there as compared to here or how hard it would be to entice someone to come up here but I think that it would be worth a look.
    I entertained that idea as well, but having a coach with American football experience, then having to learn the Canadian game. Didn't Montreal try that with Sherman a few years back? he had CFl experience but was stateside for 20+ years....

vCash

forgot about Trestman. Wonder why it never worked out for him in TO? would people be upset with him as our HC?
    I sure as hell wouldn't
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Can’t forget about Dan Hawkins who was 2-3 with the Als in 2013 before getting sacked....

vCash
    Blog Entries

My personal hope...

Hire Condell as new HC, and hire Ricky Ray as his understudy.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Gum Guy View Post
    I heard on the radio that Jones doesn't have contract in Montreal for next year. I'd be way happier with him than Rick.
    Given the success he's having there, I can't see the Esks offering him a better contract than the Als would. Plus, he knows the organization. Unless there are internal issues (other than the team for sale), I see him signing there.

I'll ask him on Sunday if I see him. lol
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Claybrooks out in BC.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Would BC be interested in Jason Maas? Reunite him with Hervey & Reilly?
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

100 per cent

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Claybrooks out in BC.

I’m no fan of bc but this makes my blood boil..

U had the reins to a young inexperienced hc who is going to make mistakes.. gonna take his lumps.. to cut ties after 1 year is a cowardly move from bc.. if they didn’t have vision over 3-5 years then they should never have hired claybrooks..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Absolutely. May also be interested in Rick Campbell since Hervey was on the team when RC was a coach here so there's a connection.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham