Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 134

Thread: Rick Campbell is on the Market

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Hervey wasting no time getting permission to talk to Campbell. My prediction.

    Hervey hires Campbell which will be a good hire. You can't win if you don't have a QB and Campbell didn't have a QB in Ottawa.

    The Esks will lose to the ALs. Winning on the road is difficult and the Esks haven't played well for the entire second half of the season. Immediately after, Brock will fire Maas. Ignoring the fact that the roster he put together hasn't been good enough for 2 years now, the team is trending down, penalties are a problem and the easy reason, Maas wasn't Brock's hire. He was already here. Every GM gets a coach or 2 and Brock didn't hire him. So he can go to the Pres and say if he gets to pick his coach, things will be great.

    Reilly will be on the phone to Hervey/Campbell as soon as the firing announcement for Maas is leaked. Once it's official, it will take Hervey/Campbell about 5 mins to hire Maas as soon as he is fired for a job as OC/assistant head coach. Reilly lit it up under Maas and he likes him. Hervey played with and hired Maas so he likes him. Campbell had Maas on his staff in Ottawa for a few years so he likes him.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 11-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    283
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    32

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Hervey wasting no time getting permission to talk to Campbell. My prediction.

    Hervey hires Campbell which will be a good hire. You can't win if you don't have a QB and Campbell didn't have a QB in Ottawa.

    The Esks will lose to the ALs. Winning on the road is difficult and the Esks haven't played well for the entire second half of the season. Immediately after, Brock will fire Maas. Ignoring the fact that the roster he put together hasn't been good enough for 2 years now, the team is trending down, penalties are a problem and the easy reason, Maas wasn't Brock's hire. He was already here. Every GM gets a coach or 2 and Brock didn't hire him. So he can go to the Pres and say if he gets to pick his coach, things will be great.

    Reilly will be on the phone to Hervey/Campbell as soon as the firing announcement for Maas is leaked. Once it's official, it will take Hervey/Campbell about 5 mins to hire Maas as soon as he is fired for a job as OC/assistant head coach. Reilly lit it up under Maas and he likes him. Hervey played with and hired Maas so he likes him. Campbell had Maas on his staff in Ottawa for a few years so he likes him.
    I could see this scenario playing out also. I’m still in the camp of keeping Mass and Lolley for another season for continuity. This will largely depend on our playoffs... i feel that a win against Montreal is mandatory for Mass to keep job for next season. A loss on Sunday and I expect Mass to be fired.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,944
    vCash
    2114
    Rep Power
    121

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Maas is good as gone. Just a feeling I have in me. Nothing to back it up, just a feeling.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I could see this scenario playing out also. I’m still in the camp of keeping Mass and Lolley for another season for continuity. This will largely depend on our playoffs... i feel that a win against Montreal is mandatory for Mass to keep job for next season. A loss on Sunday and I expect Mass to be fired.
    When it comes to the CFL and coaches because I don't see this giant line of ready made HC's just waiting for the call. Unless the guy is completely incompetent, if you are going to fire a guy, you better be doing it because you are getting an upgrade.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,318
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    When it comes to the CFL and coaches because I don't see this giant line of ready made HC's just waiting for the call. Unless the guy is completely incompetent, if you are going to fire a guy, you better be doing it because you are getting an upgrade.
    You never know who might work out. Look at Khari Jones. He wasnt especially successful as a coordinator and wasn't getting interviews for HC spots like Elizondo or LaPo. The job fell in his lap. I'm sure most out there thought he would have fallen flat on his face considering the circumstances. Maybe there's another coordinator out there with similar abilities. Nice story on him up on the CFL website...
    https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/06/long-r...e-khari-jones/
    Last edited by adb; 11-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,932
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    825

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    When it comes to the CFL and coaches because I don't see this giant line of ready made HC's just waiting for the call. Unless the guy is completely incompetent, if you are going to fire a guy, you better be doing it because you are getting an upgrade.
    Where do you stand on Maas?
    #PizStrong

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,318
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Where do you stand on Maas?
    And the Claybrooks firing.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    20,004
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    116

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    I am not convinced JM will immediately accept an OC position.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,746
    vCash
    11626
    Rep Power
    1172

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I am not convinced JM will immediately accept an OC position.
    Agreed. When you factor in uprooting family and the like, there is nothing wrong with taking a year to assess the situation and keep cashing your EE paycheques.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,770
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    BC will be interviewing other candidates - just some of those are currently in the playoff race. So Maas could be still an option. I could see Hervey having more interest in Maas because Maas was his QB in his playing days and He saw what he did with Reilly.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    20,004
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    116

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    BC will be interviewing other candidates - just some of those are currently in the playoff race. So Maas could be still an option. I could see Hervey having more interest in Maas because Maas was his QB in his playing days and He saw what he did with Reilly.
    Uh...he also hired him.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Where do you stand on Maas?
    I think he's a decent coach who has his warts but I don't think he's elite. I think he's a fiery players coach who players legit want to play for and go through a wall for, which is good. But being that he's a players coach maybe he isn't as firm handed when it comes to discipline as he should be, hence the penalty problems. If he gets fired, I could easily see him taking on a OC job as I suggested and in short order get another HC job and do extremely well and we as Esks fans will be disappointed we let him go.

    When it comes to his time as the Esks HC and mostly with Brock. I think his mistakes as he learns have hurt the team a bit. I think the penalty problems have hurt the team a bit so part of that falls on Maas for the penalties and not being able to get them down. But I said it last year and I said it again this year, I do not think the roster is as good as people think it was. So it's not all on him. I thought last year the Esks Oline was a weak point. Without a good offensive line, your offense won't do well. I also thought the secondary was lousy last year as they couldn't cover anyone. This season, I thought the Oline was a little better but it was through guys just getting better and a different style of QB vs Brock addressing it because Rogers hasn't played a snap. I thought the receiving core was weak and have maintained that all year. They lost Williams, Walker and Mitchell and replaced them with 3 guys who flat out aren't as good. Their secondary is still lousy IMO.

    So I don't think it's all on Maas, it think the teams issues are 65-35 GM-coach. IF Maas was better as a coach, it might make up for a win or 2 more but a coach can only play and coach who he's given. They lack a big time receiver that can make a play when they are need it and I don't think the receivers they have get open enough. If they are wide open, they can make the catch but I don't see any of them as being able to get open meaning in tight coverage, they can still present a target or make catches in tight coverage. I said their secondary I think it still lousy. I am not a fan of Hunter, I think he is not a good cover guy and he takes too many penalties, some of which are objectional conduct which has nothing to do with the play. But I don't see anyone who's better to allow the coach to send a message and sit him. They already have issues with other guys not being good enough, so how do you sit someone just to send a message. If your DB's can't cover guys, your defense will struggle and it has.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 11-07-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,932
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    825

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I think he's a decent coach who has his warts but I don't think he's elite. I think he's a fiery players coach who players legit want to play for and go through a wall for, which is good. But being that he's a players coach maybe he isn't as firm handed when it comes to discipline as he should be, hence the penalty problems. If he gets fired, I could easily see him taking on a OC job as I suggested and in short order get another HC job and do extremely well and we as Esks fans will be disappointed we let him go.

    When it comes to his time as the Esks HC and mostly with Brock. I think his mistakes as he learns have hurt the team a bit. I think the penalty problems have hurt the team a bit so part of that falls on Maas for the penalties and not being able to get them down. But I said it last year and I said it again this year, I do not think the roster is as good as people think it was. So it's not all on him. I thought last year the Esks Oline was a weak point. Without a good offensive line, your offense won't do well. I also thought the secondary was lousy last year as they couldn't cover anyone. This season, I thought the Oline was a little better but it was through guys just getting better and a different style of QB vs Brock addressing it because Rogers hasn't played a snap. I thought the receiving core was weak and have maintained that all year. They lost Williams, Walker and Mitchell and replaced them with 3 guys who flat out aren't as good. Their secondary is still lousy IMO.

    So I don't think it's all on Maas, it think the teams issues are 65-35 GM-coach. IF Maas was better as a coach, it might make up for a win or 2 more but they lack a big time receiver that can make plays when they are needed and I don't think the receivers they have get open enough. As I said, their secondary I think it still lousy so if you can't cover guys, your defense will struggle and it has.
    I actually agree with Maas to a point. I believe he is going to be a good coach, just not convinced it'll be here. How we finish out will determine my thought in the post season. As far as the roster goes, I would argue that Brock did a great job of retooling, considering we lost our starting QB. I can go back and look if you want but I'm fairly positive you were impressed with his off season moves, were you not? We added several highly touted free agents and even had some value depth guys step up (Diggs). IMO we should have been able to win with the roster that we put together.
    #PizStrong

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,753
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    194

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    I can't imagine Ed is too pleased getting direction from above. He sure railed against it in Edmonton. I would absolutely go after Claybrooks for Lolley if Lolley moves on...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,770
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Uh...he also hired him.
    I was pointing out why he could be looking at Maas over RC.

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    20,004
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    116

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I was pointing out why he could be looking at Maas over RC.
    Yeah but to point out he played with him and JM has a good relationship with Reilly is nothing compared to the fact that Hervey actually hired him to be his Head Coach once already.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I actually agree with Maas to a point. I believe he is going to be a good coach, just not convinced it'll be here. How we finish out will determine my thought in the post season. As far as the roster goes, I would argue that Brock did a great job of retooling, considering we lost our starting QB. I can go back and look if you want but I'm fairly positive you were impressed with his off season moves, were you not? We added several highly touted free agents and even had some value depth guys step up (Diggs). IMO we should have been able to win with the roster that we put together.
    I was happy with some of the moves and in my post above, I didn't say the roster was crap. I said it wasn't as good as people thought.

    I was very happy with the Rogers signing. I said many times last season the Oline was a problem. Brock went out and got the best left tackle available. I heavily praised him for that. Unfortunately, Rogers hasn't played a down. Other than that, Brock didn't bring in anyone else and resigned Bond. At the time, I questioned keeping Bond only because I didn't think he would play and he was American. If Rogers didn't get hurt, Bond wouldn't have played much if at all. But he did so it was good to have Bond.

    I was vocal about losing Reilly because I think he is the best QB in the league. I have never waivered on my stance that I prefer Reilly but I was happy he was able to bring in Harris as Harris while not as good as Reilly, was the best available QB.

    I believe I have been pretty consistent with my talk about the receivers. I have said it many times, they lack a big play receiver. I don't think I have said once that Ellingston, Collins and Daniels are bad receivers at all, in fact I said they are all good receiver, I just believe they are a step down from Walker, Williams and Mitchell.

    They invested heavily into the linebacking core. I had no issues with that but at the same time, other than Edwards, I didn't think their linebacking core was bad last year. I was extremely happy and praised Brock for getting rid of Edwards. I did wonder how releasing Konar would impact them ratio wise as I thought he was a decent starter and being Canadian is a plus and they had depth there. But overall, I was happy with the linebackers they signed and I don't think I have said anything negative about them. The only thing about the linebackers I have said is later in the season, considering Knox was hurt going into camp and with the emergence of Diggs, I wondered what would happen with Knox and if he was worth keeping just because he hadn't played, I didn't think the linebackers were a weak point and I wondered if he was expensive.

    I was skeptical on the secondary. They signed Orange which I thought was good but let Grymes go so I thought it was a saw off. I wasn't a fan of Hunter last year and that hasn't changed and I wondered if they would be any better given they have a lot of returning guys. I did question if keeping Colquhoun was a good idea because as a Canadian and when healthy, he can be a Canadian starter which means he probably makes a lot of money. But he can't stay healthy. 2017 he only played in 9 games, 2018 he only played in 5 games, 2019 he only played in 10 games, 7 starts. So for the last 3 seasons, he's been on the 6 game every year and missed a ton of time.

    If you feel the need to go back 9-10 months, find my previous posts and beat me over the head with them because I didn't repeat them word for word 3/4 of a year later, then go right ahead. I don't think my opinions on the roster 10 months ago have change dramatically. 10 months ago, I am commenting on guys I think are good or bad based on my opinion without seeing them play a game for the Esks. I would assume it's acceptable for a person to change their opinion slightly 10 months later after they seeing what transpires over a season can they not? OR in here, if once you say something, that has to be your exact opinion until the day you die?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,615
    vCash
    3407
    Rep Power
    225

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    There are some people with some pretty solid connections saying it came from above. BLM said today on his show that he talked to a couple of Lions and that was the message he got as well...
    From personal experience, players don’t usually know the details of these decisions. The BC guys found out on Twitter like everyone else. Anything that players told Bo is conjecture & guesses.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    It almost seems to me that Braley wanted change and made it clear. I’m guessing Hervey was given the “get on board or get out” proposition and he probably didn’t want to go out on that season. It would be career suicide given the lingering questions about his ability to fall in line here.

    Either Maas or Campbell seems plausible for them, but that decision might also come from the top. It could be very interesting times in BC.
    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I can't imagine Ed is too pleased getting direction from above. He sure railed against it in Edmonton. I would absolutely go after Claybrooks for Lolley if Lolley moves on...
    You are both assuming that your assumptions are the truth. At the very least, I would take anything Bo Levi says on his vanity show with a grain of salt. Of course he needs to act like he knows.

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    146
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    And now from the WTF section of the CFL, there is the story in 3 Down Nation, putting Maccocia and the HC spot in Ottawa in the same article. Now to be clear, there was no talk of the Redblacks even thinking it. It was just the writer but WTF? Was no one watching the fiasco that occurred with the Esks?
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,773
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    And now from the WTF section of the CFL, there is the story in 3 Down Nation, putting Maccocia and the HC spot in Ottawa in the same article. Now to be clear, there was no talk of the Redblacks even thinking it. It was just the writer but WTF? Was no one watching the fiasco that occurred with the Esks?
    Considering the series of poor decision in the last calendar year by Desjardins, I actually think this makes perfect sense, because it is so bad.

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,932
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    825

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I was happy with some of the moves and in my post above, I didn't say the roster was crap. I said it wasn't as good as people thought.

    I was very happy with the Rogers signing. I said many times last season the Oline was a problem. Brock went out and got the best left tackle available. I heavily praised him for that. Unfortunately, Rogers hasn't played a down. Other than that, Brock didn't bring in anyone else and resigned Bond. At the time, I questioned keeping Bond only because I didn't think he would play and he was American. If Rogers didn't get hurt, Bond wouldn't have played much if at all. But he did so it was good to have Bond.

    I was vocal about losing Reilly because I think he is the best QB in the league. I have never waivered on my stance that I prefer Reilly but I was happy he was able to bring in Harris as Harris while not as good as Reilly, was the best available QB.

    I believe I have been pretty consistent with my talk about the receivers. I have said it many times, they lack a big play receiver. I don't think I have said once that Ellingston, Collins and Daniels are bad receivers at all, in fact I said they are all good receiver, I just believe they are a step down from Walker, Williams and Mitchell.

    They invested heavily into the linebacking core. I had no issues with that but at the same time, other than Edwards, I didn't think their linebacking core was bad last year. I was extremely happy and praised Brock for getting rid of Edwards. I did wonder how releasing Konar would impact them ratio wise as I thought he was a decent starter and being Canadian is a plus and they had depth there. But overall, I was happy with the linebackers they signed and I don't think I have said anything negative about them. The only thing about the linebackers I have said is later in the season, considering Knox was hurt going into camp and with the emergence of Diggs, I wondered what would happen with Knox and if he was worth keeping just because he hadn't played, I didn't think the linebackers were a weak point and I wondered if he was expensive.

    I was skeptical on the secondary. They signed Orange which I thought was good but let Grymes go so I thought it was a saw off. I wasn't a fan of Hunter last year and that hasn't changed and I wondered if they would be any better given they have a lot of returning guys. I did question if keeping Colquhoun was a good idea because as a Canadian and when healthy, he can be a Canadian starter which means he probably makes a lot of money. But he can't stay healthy. 2017 he only played in 9 games, 2018 he only played in 5 games, 2019 he only played in 10 games, 7 starts. So for the last 3 seasons, he's been on the 6 game every year and missed a ton of time.

    If you feel the need to go back 9-10 months, find my previous posts and beat me over the head with them because I didn't repeat them word for word 3/4 of a year later, then go right ahead. I don't think my opinions on the roster 10 months ago have change dramatically. 10 months ago, I am commenting on guys I think are good or bad based on my opinion without seeing them play a game for the Esks. I would assume it's acceptable for a person to change their opinion slightly 10 months later after they seeing what transpires over a season can they not? OR in here, if once you say something, that has to be your exact opinion until the day you die?
    You absolutely can change your opinion, I do it a lot (see my feelings towards Maas) My point was that I believe the roster we had under performed which can be backed up by what a lot of the analysts have been saying. In fact at the start of the year we were at or near the top of the league as far as the "power rankings" go. Debate the merit of that all you want, I don't hold a whole lot faith in it, but it shows that those that know a little bit more of the inner works of the teams (media etc) thought that we were the real deal.

    I guess the difference is our opinion of who's at fault and don't get me wrong I am not giving Brock a pass but as far as percentage go, I would flip your numbers around and put most of it on Jasons shoulders at this point. But we both have our opinions so I'm not trying to change yours
    #PizStrong

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,944
    vCash
    2114
    Rep Power
    121

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    And now from the WTF section of the CFL, there is the story in 3 Down Nation, putting Maccocia and the HC spot in Ottawa in the same article. Now to be clear, there was no talk of the Redblacks even thinking it. It was just the writer but WTF? Was no one watching the fiasco that occurred with the Esks?
    Danny M wasn't a terrible OC. He actually did well for us here. Now, to make him a HC may be an issue but as long as you keep him away from the management side of things, you could avoid a major landmine there.

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    14,753
    vCash
    1462
    Rep Power
    194

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    From personal experience, players don’t usually know the details of these decisions. The BC guys found out on Twitter like everyone else. Anything that players told Bo.
    I got the sense it was guys he knew on the coaching staff. He seemed like he was pretty sure of what went down. Again, for what it’s worth but it’s a small league and doesn’t take long for this stuff to get out...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

    Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

    #PizStrong

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    You absolutely can change your opinion, I do it a lot (see my feelings towards Maas) My point was that I believe the roster we had under performed which can be backed up by what a lot of the analysts have been saying. In fact at the start of the year we were at or near the top of the league as far as the "power rankings" go. Debate the merit of that all you want, I don't hold a whole lot faith in it, but it shows that those that know a little bit more of the inner works of the teams (media etc) thought that we were the real deal.

    I guess the difference is our opinion of who's at fault and don't get me wrong I am not giving Brock a pass but as far as percentage go, I would flip your numbers around and put most of it on Jasons shoulders at this point. But we both have our opinions so I'm not trying to change yours
    As I said, there is blame on Maas but IMO, a coach can only coach what he is given personnel wise.

    Assuming you agree with me, the Esks top 3 receivers this year were: Ellingston, Collins, Daniels. Those are the 3 guys listed with the most yards and catches on the Esks stats page. Daniels had 1 less catch than Smith but more yards. Here is the link to where I got this information from so no one thinks I made it up.
    https://www.esks.com/team-stats/?sta...ce&season=2019

    Last year, the Esks top 3 receivers where Williams, Walker and Mitchell. Those were the 3 listed on their stats page. I assume you agree with that.

    So assuming you agree with the receivers, do you think this seasons receiving core is as good, better or worse than last years? Personally, I would not take any of this years top 3 receivers over last years and think the Esks downgraded all of their top 3 receivers spots this season. I am curious to know your thoughts.

    Last year the Esks had Reilly, Glenn and O'Brien. This year they have Harris, Kilgore and Willams. Do you think the Esks QB's were as good, better or worse this year than last years? Personally, I think they downgraded their QB's at 2 out of 3 of the positions for sure. I am not sure about Williams because he didn't play but O'Brien is pretty bad. I am not faulting Brock on Reilly. He did try to resign Reilly but I think he was leaving almost no matter what. I think the damage had already been done and I point the finger at Rhodes. So cudos to Brock for going out and replacing Reilly with the best guy he could. But Kilgore didn't play football in 2018 and then he is the back up for the Esks. Harris isn't as durable as Reilly and it cost the Esks because Kilgore started 5 out of the last 7 games. Harris barely played in the Sept 7th game so that is almost a start for Kilgore and then Harris came back and started the second last game but it was too late. So would a better coach be able to get more out of Kilgore? I have a hard time believing that.

    Do you think this years secondary is better than last years? I personally do not think it's any better. I might be able to say it's the same as last years but last years needed to be upgraded in my opinion.

    I am not trying to change your mind, I just don't see how a better coach gets a lot more out of this team. They downgraded at receiver, they downgraded at QB which wasn't all on Brock but still, they aren't better and the back up ended up costing the Esks games and they at best stayed even in the secondary which most thought needed to be improved. Maybe a better coach gets them to 9-9 but more than that, I don't see it.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,932
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    825

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    As I said, there is blame on Maas but IMO, a coach can only coach what he is given personnel wise.

    Assuming you agree with me, the Esks top 3 receivers this year were: Ellingston, Collins, Daniels. Those are the 3 guys listed with the most yards and catches on the Esks stats page. Daniels had 1 less catch than Smith but more yards. Here is the link to where I got this information from so no one thinks I made it up.
    https://www.esks.com/team-stats/?sta...ce&season=2019

    Last year, the Esks top 3 receivers where Williams, Walker and Mitchell. Those were the 3 listed on their stats page. I assume you agree with that.

    So assuming you agree with the receivers, do you think this seasons receiving core is as good, better or worse than last years? Personally, I would not take any of this years top 3 receivers over last years and think the Esks downgraded all of their top 3 receivers spots this season. I am curious to know your thoughts.

    Last year the Esks had Reilly, Glenn and O'Brien. This year they have Harris, Kilgore and Willams. Do you think the Esks QB's were as good, better or worse this year than last years? Personally, I think they downgraded their QB's at 2 out of 3 of the positions for sure. I am not sure about Williams because he didn't play but O'Brien is pretty bad. I am not faulting Brock on Reilly. He did try to resign Reilly but I think he was leaving almost no matter what. I think the damage had already been done and I point the finger at Rhodes. So cudos to Brock for going out and replacing Reilly with the best guy he could. But Kilgore didn't play football in 2018 and then he is the back up for the Esks. Harris isn't as durable as Reilly and it cost the Esks because Kilgore started 5 out of the last 7 games. Harris barely played in the Sept 7th game so that is almost a start for Kilgore and then Harris came back and started the second last game but it was too late. So would a better coach be able to get more out of Kilgore? I have a hard time believing that.

    Do you think this years secondary is better than last years? I personally do not think it's any better. I might be able to say it's the same as last years but last years needed to be upgraded in my opinion.

    I am not trying to change your mind, I just don't see how a better coach gets a lot more out of this team. They downgraded at receiver, they downgraded at QB which wasn't all on Brock but still, they aren't better and the back up ended up costing the Esks games and they at best stayed even in the secondary which most thought needed to be improved. Maybe a better coach gets them to 9-9 but more than that, I don't see it.
    Good points and don't have much of an issue with what you are saying. The biggest hole for me coming out of camp was back up QB and that's on Brock and possibly Jason (I don't know how much input he has) Receivers are weaker for sure but the only one we really had an option to bring back was Walker and in hindsight we probably would have been better bringing him in that Santos-Knox but hindsight is 20/20.

    Where we had a huge increase, at least in my mind, is on the defensive line and the linebackers. One thing I do know is that Lolley was involved in the player acquisitions and gave Brock a ranked list of who he wanted before free agency, so its possible he wanted to spend his money on the front 7 (which is what I would do) then find decent players to fit in the back field. This is a cap league remember so you can't have everything but statistically our defence as a whole was far better than last year, giving up 71 less points or an average of 4 less points per game.

    I would also suggest that we also made our Oline better, just was unlucky with the injury (I know thats exactly what you said and I'm not arguing with you on that)
    #PizStrong

  26. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,770
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    198

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    As I said, there is blame on Maas but IMO, a coach can only coach what he is given personnel wise.

    Assuming you agree with me, the Esks top 3 receivers this year were: Ellingston, Collins, Daniels. Those are the 3 guys listed with the most yards and catches on the Esks stats page. Daniels had 1 less catch than Smith but more yards. Here is the link to where I got this information from so no one thinks I made it up.
    https://www.esks.com/team-stats/?sta...ce&season=2019

    Last year, the Esks top 3 receivers where Williams, Walker and Mitchell. Those were the 3 listed on their stats page. I assume you agree with that.

    So assuming you agree with the receivers, do you think this seasons receiving core is as good, better or worse than last years? Personally, I would not take any of this years top 3 receivers over last years and think the Esks downgraded all of their top 3 receivers spots this season. I am curious to know your thoughts.

    Last year the Esks had Reilly, Glenn and O'Brien. This year they have Harris, Kilgore and Willams. Do you think the Esks QB's were as good, better or worse this year than last years? Personally, I think they downgraded their QB's at 2 out of 3 of the positions for sure. I am not sure about Williams because he didn't play but O'Brien is pretty bad. I am not faulting Brock on Reilly. He did try to resign Reilly but I think he was leaving almost no matter what. I think the damage had already been done and I point the finger at Rhodes. So cudos to Brock for going out and replacing Reilly with the best guy he could. But Kilgore didn't play football in 2018 and then he is the back up for the Esks. Harris isn't as durable as Reilly and it cost the Esks because Kilgore started 5 out of the last 7 games. Harris barely played in the Sept 7th game so that is almost a start for Kilgore and then Harris came back and started the second last game but it was too late. So would a better coach be able to get more out of Kilgore? I have a hard time believing that.

    Do you think this years secondary is better than last years? I personally do not think it's any better. I might be able to say it's the same as last years but last years needed to be upgraded in my opinion.

    I am not trying to change your mind, I just don't see how a better coach gets a lot more out of this team. They downgraded at receiver, they downgraded at QB which wasn't all on Brock but still, they aren't better and the back up ended up costing the Esks games and they at best stayed even in the secondary which most thought needed to be improved. Maybe a better coach gets them to 9-9 but more than that, I don't see it.



    I agree with your points... WR was a downgrade overall for sure.


    This is how I view it. The Esks led in a lot of offensive and defensive categories with these players. teams start game planning to stop what was working for us. We can agree with the other teams game planning yes? They adjusted to us and it did not appear we adjusted to counteract their adjustments. That is coaching. We saw it all season long and indivual games with lack of half time adjustments. Is this Maas' alleged stubbornness showing up ?

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I agree with your points... WR was a downgrade overall for sure.


    This is how I view it. The Esks led in a lot of offensive and defensive categories with these players. teams start game planning to stop what was working for us. We can agree with the other teams game planning yes? They adjusted to us and it did not appear we adjusted to counteract their adjustments. That is coaching. We saw it all season long and indivual games with lack of half time adjustments. Is this Maas' alleged stubbornness showing up ?
    You are right, the Esks did lead lots of offensive and defensive categories early in the year. First 10 weeks of the season, who did the Esks play? I will list them in order.
    Montreal (w) - Team was in chaos both on and off the field.
    BC (w)- Terrible team, didn't have an Oline. Esks front 7 beat the hell out of Reilly.
    Winnipeg (L) - Good team, Harris had lots of years, they lost because they couldn't score td's.
    BC (W)- Terrible team. No Oline. Front 7 beat the hell out of Reilly.
    Montreal (L) - ALs were the better team the whole game, Esks didn't score a TD.
    Toronto (W)- Terrible team, Esks shut them out.
    Cal (L) - Hard fought game, kick return beat them. Stamps didn't have Mitchell.
    Ott (w) - Way closer than it should have been. Ottawa is a terrible team. They have no QB.
    Tor (w) - Toronto was still brutal

    So after week 10 they were 6-3 beating really, really bad teams. Yes their defense looked good but Ottawa had no QB, Toronto was brutal and I don't know if they had even won a game yet when they played the Esks the second time. BC was terrible and had no Oline. So could the defensive stats of been padded maybe a little by the weak teams they played? Maybe. What plagued the team all year when on paper they put up lots of yards? TD's. The Esks struggled all year to score TD's. So you are right, the Esks did put up lots of offensive yards. Teams were more than willing to let the Esks methodically drive up and down the field putting up big yardage between the 20's. Then as soon as they got inside the 20's they clamped down and the Esks couldn't score TD's.

    So IMO, an in ability to score TD's is partly scheme but has a TON to do with your receivers. I am no DC but once you get into the scoring zone, you probably aren't calling a lot of zone defense in the endzone. It's probably more man to man I would assume. Harris with his quick release and the Esks running all those quick short patterns would be able to pick a zone defense apart if the DB is giving you 5-7 yards cushion. As soon as the DB is in the receivers face, the receiver has to find a way to get open. He has to find a way to make a catch in coverage, he has to go up and get a ball with hands in his face. I didn't see a lot of that and I don't think the receivers the Esks have were capable of doing that.

    So I am not saying that Maas is the perfect coach and if he gets fired, there is some justification for it. All I am saying is I am not convinced that a different coach makes this team way better. Could a different coach make them slightly better? Maybe. Maybe they could have won a game more but it doesn't change the fact that Harris got hurt, missed a 3rd of the season and the back up QB the team had wasn't close to being good enough. Would anyone be OK if Kilgore was back next year? I sure wouldn't.

    So as I said, I am not advocating to keep Maas. There is an argument he should be fired. All I am saying is if they fire him, they better be sure they are getting an upgrade because if they were able to return this exact team next year but with just a new HC, I don't see them being much better.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 11-07-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    823
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    84

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    I am not convinced JM will immediately accept an OC position.
    Not if there are other HC vacancies to consider. Probably would take him a nanosecond to send his resume off back to Ottawa.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I wouldn't read too much into Hervey asking for permission to talk to Campbell. He's doing it now because he's available now. There's likely half a dozen other candidates he'll be seeking permission for once their seasons end.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 11-07-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  29. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    115

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Not if there are other HC vacancies to consider. Probably would take him a nanosecond to send his resume off back to Ottawa.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I wouldn't read too much into Hervey asking for permission to talk to Campbell. He's doing it now because he's available now. There's likely half a dozen other candidates he'll be seeking permission for once their seasons end.
    Who's the other candidates? Given the disaster that was Claybrooks, rookie coach coming in and hiring all his buddies some of them were fresh off the field, I don't know if Hervey would role the dice on another rookie head coach.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  30. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,318
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Who's the other candidates? Given the disaster that was Claybrooks, rookie coach coming in and hiring all his buddies some of them were fresh off the field, I don't know if Hervey would role the dice on another rookie head coach.
    I could see him interviewing LaPo and Condell and Maas (if he comes available). Can't think of any other current coordinators he would consider.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •