Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rick Campbell is on the Market

vCash

Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I could see him interviewing LaPo and Condell and Maas (if he comes available). Can't think of any other current coordinators he would consider.
    Fir the sake of completeness interview Thorpe?

....though I think Thorpe & Lapolice are equally unlikely to “win”.....
    Last edited by Smartie123; 11-08-2019 at 12:35 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Who's the other candidates? Given the disaster that was Claybrooks, rookie coach coming in and hiring all his buddies some of them were fresh off the field, I don't know if Hervey would role the dice on another rookie head coach.
    I wouldn't rule it out at all. So far he has only hired three head coaches and all three were rookies. Jones won him a cup. Maas was moderately successful to start but is fading. Claybrooks was the only one that started really badly, but even he was improving.

I suspect you're right that he may want a veteran after this bad year, but I could also see him trying a rookie head coach provided there is enough of a resume in coaching to suggest they are ready for the next step. For example someone like Thorpe or Condell who have coached in many situations and have seen failures and successes in various situations. Claybrooks had the years and had been successful, but it was all in one single situation which was arguably the strongest in the entire league. He had also never really experienced adversity in a coaching role to understand how to navigate back out of it quickly. Some other rookie coaches may have that experience.

vCash

I don't think Maas is the problem at all. I think the roster got old and need some churn and also had a lot of attrition to the NFL.

That said, I could get behind a Campbell and Elizondo pairing.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I wouldn't rule it out at all. So far he has only hired three head coaches and all three were rookies. Jones won him a cup. Maas was moderately successful to start but is fading. Claybrooks was the only one that started really badly, but even he was improving.

I suspect you're right that he may want a veteran after this bad year, but I could also see him trying a rookie head coach provided there is enough of a resume in coaching to suggest they are ready for the next step. For example someone like Thorpe or Condell who have coached in many situations and have seen failures and successes in various situations. Claybrooks had the years and had been successful, but it was all in one single situation which was arguably the strongest in the entire league. He had also never really experienced adversity in a coaching role to understand how to navigate back out of it quickly. Some other rookie coaches may have that experience.
    I should have clarified myself a bit. When I say rookie head coach, I more think of a youngish coordinator. Claybrooks was 42 yrs old and as you said, was only part of one situation. He went from playing with the Stamps to being the Dline coach with the Stamps to the D-coordinator. He did one thing with one team and one organization. As hard as it is for me to say this, the Stamps have been the best organization for a very long time. So all of a sudden when you leave the safety and stability of the Stamps with Huff as GM and coach mentor and then Dickenson who's a hell of a coach and hand groomed by Huff, things got pretty tough. But a guy like Thorpe or Condell who have been around a bit but also have worked in different organizations behind different head coaches and different GM's could probably be able to handle the pitfalls of being the head coach more so than Claybrooks.

I still think it will be Campbell and Maas in BC.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    I don't think Maas is the problem at all. I think the roster got old and need some churn and also had a lot of attrition to the NFL.

Would Elizondo be available? If we do move on from Maas I'm of the opinion that we would be forced to look at someone with an OC background. I think that BC is in the same boat. If you did hire a Thorpe or a Campbell who both have DC or DC/ST background then who would be available as an OC? LaPo or Condell wouldn't make a lateral move and I can't think of any position coaches out there that I would elevate to become a rookie OC. Is there anyone someone could think of? Jarious Jackson or the like? Anyone know who the QB coach for ths stamps is and how much experience he might have? Maybe Buck Pierce in Winnipeg? For me if the esks were to hire someone with a DC/ST background as HC then they had better make sure they hold on to Maksymic somehow as I don't think there would be a whole lot of experienced CFL offensive coaching talent out there.
    Last edited by adb; 11-08-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Would Elizondo be available? If we do move on from Maas I'm of the opinion that we would be forced to look at someone with an OC background. I think that BC is in the same boat. If you did hire a Thorpe or a Campbell who both have DC or DC/ST background then who would be available as an OC? LaPo or Condell wouldn't make a lateral move and I can't think of any position coaches out there that I would elevate to become a rookie OC. Is there anyone someone could think of? Jarious Jackson or the like? Anyone know who the QB coach for ths stamps is and how much experience he might have? Maybe Buck Pierce in Winnipeg? For me if the esks were to hire someone with a DC/ST background as HC then they had better make sure they hold on to Maksymic somehow as I don't think there would be a whole lot of experienced CFL offensive coaching talent out there.
    Only once the XFL folds, but that would likely be too late to be hiring a coach.

vCash

Ryan Dinwiddie.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Fir the sake of completeness interview Thorpe?

....though I think Thorpe & Lapolice are equally unlikely to “win”.....
    The only thing I can’t comprehend is if Ed is so close to Rick etc etc why didn’t he hire him the first time round in 2013/14? Everyone who I know inside this sport we’re sayin Campbell is getting the job then it turns out he went with Jones which was a GREAT move... I’m curious as to what as changed... as to why Campbell is good now but wasn’t then? Best of a poor group of candidates maybe?? I dunno..

You're right, and I am still not convinced that this team is automatically better without Jason than it is with him. Looking around the league there's not one single coach out there right now that I think would do a better job, so that means I'd have to trust Brock to pull the next Mark Trestman out of out of left field but that almost never works.

Even Kahari Jones, everyone's tripping over themselves to fawn over him right now but realistically, he's caught lightning in a bottle and that's really hard to sustain, especially for a guy like him who doesn't really have a solid x's and o's base to fall back on. He was only ever a middle of the road coordinator.

Like I've stated several times, this team has had 5 HC's and 4 GM's over the last 10 years, Calgary's had 1 GM and on their 2nd HC, but by all means let's fire another coach because repeating the same failed process over and over is definitely the way to success.

This was probably a 10+ win team if Harris hadn't been injured and for a team that was basically built from the ground up in one off-season, that's a reflection of the coaching systems that are in place. If Brock can't see that, then I've clearly been giving him too much credit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    You're right, and I am still not convinced that this team is automatically better without Jason than it is with him. Looking around the league there's not one single coach out there right now that I think would do a better job, so that means I'd have to trust Brock to pull the next Mark Trestman out of out of left field but that almost never works.

Even Kahari Jones, everyone's tripping over themselves to fawn over him right now but realistically, he's caught lightning in a bottle and that's really hard to sustain, especially for a guy like him who doesn't really have a solid x's and o's base to fall back on. He was only ever a middle of the road coordinator.

Like I've stated several times, this team has had 5 HC's and 4 GM's over the last 10 years, Calgary's had 1 GM and on their 2nd HC, but by all means let's fire another coach because repeating the same failed process over and over is definitely the way to success.

This was probably a 10+ win team if Harris hadn't been injured and for a team that was basically built from the ground up in one off-season, that's a reflection of the coaching systems that are in place. If Brock can't see that, then I've clearly been giving him too much credit.
    I don't think Jason is the problem either. Brock is not very strong on finding new talent. He tends to bring in players from other teams who while being serviceable are usually not outstanding either and you end up with a middle of the road team. That's not exactly the way to build championship teams in my opinion. I hope our new president is not the kind of guy to panic and want change just for the sake of change without improvement. I don't think Campbell is an improvement over Maas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    I don't think Jason is the problem either. Brock is not very strong on finding new talent. He tends to bring in players from other teams who while being serviceable are usually not outstanding either and you end up with a middle of the road team. That's not exactly the way to build championship teams in my opinion. I hope our new president is not the kind of guy to panic and want change just for the sake of change without improvement. I don't think Campbell is an improvement over Maas.
    I hope our president isnt making that decision, that should be the GM.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I hope our president isnt making that decision, that should be the GM.
    But he can put pressure on Brock to make changes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    But he can put pressure on Brock to make changes.
    He can, but Looner is saying (and I agree) that that is a call that the GM should make without pressure.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    He can, but Looner is saying (and I agree) that that is a call that the GM should make without pressure.
    Exactly, a good boss empowers their employees to do their job properly, doesnt try to do it for them.
    #PizStrong