Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick Campbell is on the Market

vCash

Re: Rick Campbell is on the Market

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    100 per cent

- - - Updated - - -

Iím no fan of bc but this makes my blood boil..

U had the reins to a young inexperienced hc who is going to make mistakes.. gonna take his lumps.. to cut ties after 1 year is a cowardly move from bc.. if they didnít have vision over 3-5 years then they should never have hired claybrooks..

My take: baring a GC appearance Maas is prolly done in Edmonton. Hervey is preparing his team for a swing towards Maas. If Maas remains in Edm, there will be other options but, Maas, IMO, is his number one target.

But wouldn't be shocked if its all because RC is unemployed

vCash
    Blog Entries

After looking at the years Hervey played, I believe RC was a coach here the entire time Hervey wore green & gold. And those of us who have been on this board long enough remember mobes' reaction to criticism leveled at RC. By all accounts, players love playing for RC. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Hervey has a similar fondness for him.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    After looking at the years Hervey played, I believe RC was a coach here the entire time Hervey wore green & gold. And those of us who have been on this board long enough remember mobes' reaction to criticism leveled at RC. By all accounts, players love playing for RC. I wouldn't be shocked at all if Hervey has a similar fondness for him.
    Me neither. I guess on the flip side he saw what Maas did for Reilly. 'Course if Maas is actually fired

vCash

BC Lions coaching staff for 2020
    Rick Campbell - Head Coach
    Jason Maas - OC
    Noel Thorpe - DC
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Jason Maas - OC
    Noel Thorpe - DC
    Yikes, that's a scary staff right there.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Jason Maas - OC
    Noel Thorpe - DC
    Could happen. Will be interesting to see how they manage the cap.

It makes you wonder when someone like Dunk said he thought Campbell already had something lined up and then the Claybrooks domino fell the next day. Maybe he is going to the coast and not to Edmonton after all.

vCash
    Blog Entries

100 per cent

- - - Updated - - -

Iím no fan of bc but this makes my blood boil..

U had the reins to a young inexperienced hc who is going to make mistakes.. gonna take his lumps.. to cut ties after 1 year is a cowardly move from bc.. if they didnít have vision over 3-5 years then they should never have hired claybrooks..
    Thought I read recently somewhere that Braley was unhappy with some of the personnel that had been hired. I wonder if this is more a case of him insisting on changes than anything else. I'd be surprised if Hervey would not give his hire 2 seasons to try and right the ship. The Lions looked a lot better in their last few games. They gave the Stamps a very challenging game with a backup QB so this is a surprising move to me.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Could happen. Will be interesting to see how they manage the cap.

It makes you wonder when someone like Dunk said he thought Campbell already had something lined up and then the Claybrooks domino fell the next day. Maybe he is going to the coast and not to Edmonton after all.
    Based on what was reported, Campbell wasn't fired, it was more that they both agreed it was time to part ways. Campbell had a year left on his contract. I wouldn't think a guy would be willing to walk away from another year of pay cheques unless he had another job lined up.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Jason Maas - OC
    Noel Thorpe - DC
    Yeah, you aren't fitting that under the cap.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Hervey doesn't strike me as someone who likes to admit mistakes and firing Claybrooks is admitting a mistake. So I think this definitely came from above Hervey. I really thought Claybrooks brought that team together quite well once they got their Oline figured out but there were was also too many players on that team who frankly aren't all that good who were starting. Namely on the defensive side of the ball...

- - - Updated - - -

Jason Maas - OC
    Noel Thorpe - DC
    I think it's
    Head coach/OC: Maas
    DC: Benny
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Since when has the Cap ever carried a meaningful penalty?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

if that was what Edmonton was trying they'd heavily enforce the cap... however being not the eskimos they'll drop the cap

vCash

I thought this the first time around when hervey hired Jones .. my money was on Campbell thrn

vCash

I think Hervey would be well served just to keep his mouth shut at times...

In his press conference on tsn now, he basically called out Claybrooks saying that he got taken advantage from by the players. The players did not respect him. He did not set boundaries with players and the players sensed that crossed the player/coach line all season. I have no doubt that much of this is true......but you usually hear the GM not discuss publicly in a press conference.

With this and his handling of some players (Solly), i wounder if that will hurt BC with head coaching recruiting or FA.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post

In his press conference on tsn now, he basically called out Claybrooks saying that he got taken advantage from by the players. The players did not respect him. He did not set boundaries with players and the players sensed that crossed the player/coach line all season. I have no doubt that much of this is true......but you usually hear the GM not discuss publicly in a press conference.

With this and his handling of some players (Solly), i wounder if that will hurt BC with head coaching recruiting or FA.

U get the vibes that hervey isn’t a Nice man.. very quick to throw folx under the bus over and over again..

vCash

I hope we keep Mass and Lolley as coaches moving forward. Unless Mass has lost the room and players have simply tuned him out, I would stress continuity and keeping them around for another season. I think this out weighs starting over with a completely new coaching staff. We may also make rival teams stronger if we fire MASS.

I have heard nothing but support for MASS from players.

My 3 cents

vCash

I appreciate the honesty rather than the canned answers but I doubt the players and coaches appreciate it as much. There are similar instances like this stacking up, may change some peoples opinions on playing or coaching there.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I hope we keep Mass and Lolley as coaches moving forward. Unless Mass has lost the room and players have simply tuned him out, I would stress continuity and keeping them around for another season. I think this out weighs starting over with a completely new coaching staff. We may also make rival teams stronger if we fire MASS.

I have heard nothing but support for MASS from players.

My 3 cents
    Agreed...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I appreciate the honesty rather than the canned answers but I doubt the players and coaches appreciate it as much. There are similar instances like this stacking up, may change some peoples opinions on playing or coaching there.

I’m 100 per cent for honesty behind closed doors but in public.. u rein it in.. hervey does the opposite

Plus you look really stupid after hiring a guy with zero hc experience and then firing him after a season.. makes you look stupid for the hire and a coward for firing him ..

If as my gm u can’t give me your full backing.. I want no part of u.. I hope this comes back and bites em.. u reap what uspw

vCash

Double post

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Next year:

BC: Claybrooks
    Edm: Campbell
    Cal: Red Dickenson
    Sask: Green Dickenson
    Wpg: Lapolice

Ham: Steinauer
    Tor: OíShea
    Ott: Maas
    Mtl: Jones

And you can take that to the bank!
    My cheque bounced.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    My cheque bounced.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Claybrooks fired by BC maybe comes here as a DC if we get rid of Maas Lolley.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

100 per cent

- - - Updated - - -

I’m no fan of bc but this makes my blood boil..

U had the reins to a young inexperienced hc who is going to make mistakes.. gonna take his lumps.. to cut ties after 1 year is a cowardly move from bc.. if they didn’t have vision over 3-5 years then they should never have hired claybrooks..

Yes give the guy a chance.
    perhaps they fired him to get Maas? or Campbell????
    Last edited by Hotrodzz; 11-06-2019 at 05:54 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Claybrooks fired by BC maybe comes here as a DC if we get rid of Maas Lolley.
    I hope not...

He did not impress me this season.

Ill probably take some heat for this and I fully understand that it has nothing to do with being a football coach...... that being said watching Claybrooks with his hat on sideways and tilted on the sideline is not a good look for a head coach. Maybe i am old school....

vCash

I hope not...

He did not impress me this season.

Ill probably take some heat for this and I fully understand that it has nothing to do with being a football coach...... that being said watching Claybrooks with his hat on sideways and tilted on the sideline is not a good look for a head coach. Maybe i am old school....
    I'm old school in a lot of ways as well. I remember back decades ago, there were a couple NHL coaches (John Guy Talbot was one of them) that wore tracksuits behind the bench during games. Came off as very unprofessional. Especially back in the 70's. I wouldn't say Claybrooks is in that territory with the cap tilt, but I'm an older fart, so it bugs me a little. Having said that, I was amused by Khari Jones on the sidelines singing and moving to the stadium music during TV timeouts. I call myself out for the double standard. I guess we gotta let them be them. I'm more of a nit-picker when it comes to the uniformity of player gear, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 11-06-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Random thoughts as I read these posts:

1. Most of the coaching staff needed to be replaced. Is it worth keeping the HC then? (just asking the question, don’t bite my head off)

2. Not sure anyone around BC is overly surprised.

3. This is Ed’s 3rd rookie head coach. By now, he probably has a good idea of what the trajectory looks like for their maturation as head coaches. Oh, and see #1.

4. I don’t buy into this coming from above. That discredits everyone & their role within the organization....and see #2.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 11-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.

vCash

There are some people with some pretty solid connections saying it came from above. BLM said today on his show that he talked to a couple of Lions and that was the message he got as well...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    There are some people with some pretty solid connections saying it came from above. BLM said today on his show that he talked to a couple of Lions and that was the message he got as well...
    It almost seems to me that Braley wanted change and made it clear. Iím guessing Hervey was given the ďget on board or get outĒ proposition and he probably didnít want to go out on that season. It would be career suicide given the lingering questions about his ability to fall in line here.

Either Maas or Campbell seems plausible for them, but that decision might also come from the top. It could be very interesting times in BC.

vCash

Claybrooks I recall was very proud of his young eager coaching staff who still had "Grass on their cleats" and could relate to modern players. Rich Stubler being the exception.
    Now it seems like they are blaming an inexperienced coaching staff. Hervey also commenting that his lesson learned is to be more involved in the hiring process of the rest of the coaching staff.

This surprises me a bit, as his philosophy in the past was to let everyone have their autonomy, and let the coach pick their staff. That way you ensure everyone is rowing together, on the same page.
    I'm not sure Hervey should change his philosophy. Claybrooks can own his own coaching selections. After all any new Head Coach will WANT autonomy next year in selecting their staff, not the GM micro managing them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Claybrooks I recall was very proud of his young eager coaching staff who still had "Grass on their cleats" and could relate to modern players. Rich Stubler being the exception.
    Now it seems like they are blaming an inexperienced coaching staff. Hervey also commenting that his lesson learned is to be more involved in the hiring process of the rest of the coaching staff.

This surprises me a bit, as his philosophy in the past was to let everyone have their autonomy, and let the coach pick their staff. That way you ensure everyone is rowing together, on the same page.
    I'm not sure Hervey should change his philosophy. Claybrooks can own his own coaching selections. After all any new Head Coach will WANT autonomy next year in selecting their staff, not the GM micro managing them.
    Hervey can still be "involved" in the coaching staff hiring by finding out what the potential candidates' plans are for hiring their staff. If you interview someone for the HC position, you ask who they plan on targeting for coordinators and position coaches, and how they plan on attracting them to their team. Maybe that was an issue with Claybrooks as well - he talked about getting one type of coaches, and ended up hiring another. Could be infinite possibilities on why they didn't continue that relationship of course.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.