Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eskimos vs Als - playoff time

vCash

Attention Eskimos vs Als - playoff time

Going to be a tough task but looks like we are trying to get both RBs in for this weekend

#PizStrong

vCash

Re: Eskimos vs Als - playoff time

Updated weather forecast says cloudy with showers, high of 5 on Sunday. Wind gusts up to 33 km/hr.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Honestly torn on this game. On the one hand, I want the Esks to win and do well.

But on the other hand, a loss might give Presson incentive to shakeup the management and coaching staff sooner rather than later.

Worst case scenario for me would be a repeat of what we've seen all too often...squeak by in the semis and get destroyed in the Divisional Final. Sick and tired of having that script happen over and over and over again.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Updated weather forecast says cloudy with showers, high of 5 on Sunday. Wind gusts up to 33 km/hr.
    Damn, hate when wind is a factor. If that is actually going to be the weather, we better get both RBs in the lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Honestly torn on this game. On the one hand, I want the Esks to win and do well.

But on the other hand, a loss might give Presson incentive to shakeup the management and coaching staff sooner rather than later.

Worst case scenario for me would be a repeat of what we've seen all too often...squeak by in the semis and get destroyed in the Divisional Final. Sick and tired of having that script happen over and over and over again.
    I'm not for a management change as I believe that Brock has given Jason a team he should be able to win with but a coaching change may be in order.
    #PizStrong

vCash

This is a very winnable game for the Esks. They just need to come out hard and avoid the dumb penalties. In other words, do not leave the game in the hands of the officials.

I am seriously looking forward to 4-6 straight hours of playoff football on Sunday.

vCash
    Blog Entries

We only have to win 3 more games...
    Nothing we haven't done before!
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

Over and over again? Since they won the Grey Cup that has happened once.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    This is a very winnable game for the Esks. They just need to come out hard and avoid the dumb penalties. In other words, do not leave the game in the hands of the officials.

I am seriously looking forward to 4-6 straight hours of playoff football on Sunday.

There is no way to take the game out of the hands of the officials. They lost the home game against Saskatchewan largely because of the officials (14 points for Sask) and only took 3 penalties (2 of them were bogus).

vCash

Will need to stop that power running game of MTl - Satanback/Johnson. THat is the key IMHO. Stop the run and get Adams into 2nd and long.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    We only have to win 3 more games...
    Nothing we haven't done before!
    Yes sir!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Will need to stop that power running game of MTl - Satanback/Johnson. THat is the key IMHO. Stop the run and get Adams into 2nd and long.
    Their running game scares me as we have been torched by the run a few times this year, especially when the QB is mobile.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Over and over again? Since they won the Grey Cup that has happened once.
    'Destroyed" was the wrong word. More like "fall short"...

I was thinking of all the years of failure before.

2008 - Beat Winnipeg, lose to Montreal

2009 - Lose to Calgary

2010 - No playoffs

2011 - Beat Calgary, lose to B.C.

2012 - Lose to Toronto

2013 - No playoffs

2014 - Beat Saskatchewan, lose to Calgary

2015 - Grey Cup

2016 - Beat Hamilton, lose to Ottawa

2017 - Beat Winnipeg, lose to Calgary

2018 - No playoffs
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

In most defensive categories, the Als are on par with the Argos and Redblacks. They are not a good defensive team.

It will be a bummer if weather forces this into a ground game because that plays HUGELY into the Als favour. Through the air, the Esks average almost 300 yards per game and that is skewed from a few Kilgore starts that drove that number down. Harris averaged 334 yards per game if you remove the game he left with injury. And the Als give up a league worst 316.1 per game through the air.

The Esks are the better team in far more statistical categories then the Als and there is really no reason we shouldn’t be able to beat this team. But as we know, the Esks under Maas are masters at finding ways to lose close games. So I think it either ends in an Esk blowout win or a close Als win.

vCash

While I want the Esks to win, I am not confident they will win and would be surprised if they did. They did not beat a single team with a winning record. I don't count the one win against Montreal because it was the first game of the season, the Als were in turmoil, Jones wasn't the coach yet and they weren't even starting Adams. Pipkin is not a starting CFL QB, he might not be in the league next year as he's #3 now in Montreal. The Als were a completely different team in game 1 vs now and when the Esks played them later in the season, the Als handled them fairly easily.

I am big on how a team is playing going into the playoffs. In the second half of the season, the Esks were 2-7 and going into the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak. I understand the logic in resting guys in the last game but at the same time, the team hasn't been playing well in a long time. So they are asking their team, a team that has been spurting along for a long time, to just flip a switch and ramp it up. Tough to do.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    While I want the Esks to win, I am not confident they will win and would be surprised if they did. They did not beat a single team with a winning record. I don't count the one win against Montreal because it was the first game of the season, the Als were in turmoil, Jones wasn't the coach yet and they weren't even starting Adams. Pipkin is not a starting CFL QB, he might not be in the league next year as he's #3 now in Montreal. The Als were a completely different team in game 1 vs now and when the Esks played them later in the season, the Als handled them fairly easily.

I am big on how a team is playing going into the playoffs. In the second half of the season, the Esks were 2-7 and going into the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak. I understand the logic in resting guys in the last game but at the same time, the team hasn't been playing well in a long time. So they are asking their team, a team that has been spurting along for a long time, to just flip a switch and ramp it up. Tough to do.
    tough to do for sure but not impossible. The script could be fantastic as we could revenge last year by playing in a grey cup in Calgary, lots of work and luck needed for this to happen but would obviously LOVE to see that.

BTW I echo your comments about backing into the playoffs, its almost never a good thing.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Montreal clearly the more successful team. Upbeat season and playing at home. Better record.
    Esks on losing skid, season a failure, on the road.
    Montreal has to be heavy favourites.
    Esks will need some serious magic.
    Sadly, Mass probably released soon afterwards. Sorry Jason. In my mind you are an iconic esk qb (esp 2005 playoffs).
    Last edited by Moon1; 11-07-2019 at 10:38 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Their running game scares me as we have been torched by the run a few times this year, especially when the QB is mobile.
    The scenario I've seen all season and what will likely burn us on Sunday with yet another mobile QB is the D line comes hard with a couple LBs, Adams rolls out, drawing everyone to him as they smell the sack. Then comes the screen pass with a whole lot of open field and some blocking in front of the RB for a big gain.

It may be smarter to play contain and have the Dline watch for the 1 Esks lineman or LB to break free with the rest pulling back or staying with their guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    tough to do for sure but not impossible. The script could be fantastic as we could revenge last year by playing in a grey cup in Calgary, lots of work and luck needed for this to happen but would obviously LOVE to see that.

BTW I echo your comments about backing into the playoffs, its almost never a good thing.
    Holy Cr@p! Looner and section Q agreed on something. *Looks around to see if the world ends*
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    The scenario I've seen all season and what will likely burn us on Sunday with yet another mobile QB is the D line comes hard with a couple LBs, Adams rolls out, drawing everyone to him as they smell the sack. Then comes the screen pass with a whole lot of open field and some blocking in front of the RB for a big gain.

It may be smarter to play contain and have the Dline watch for the 1 Esks lineman or LB to break free with the rest pulling back or staying with their guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy Cr@p! Looner and section Q agreed on something. *Looks around to see if the world ends*
    I suspect we are going to be loading the box and run blitzing or sending 3 at times.
    #PizStrong

vCash

im pumped. 3 wins. only!!!

and then i will laugh at all Maas firing conversation havers.

although...will be tough...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

Firing him would be extremely short sighted.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post

We haven't won three games in a row all season. (Just checked the schedule; the most we've ever won is two.)

In light of that stat, there's not a chance that this squad will make it to the GC Final, nor do they deserve to even be there.

vCash

you're such a ray of sunshine

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post

This team reminds me a little of both the 2005 and 2006 Eskimo squads. Both with a ton of talent and very high expectations. In 2005 we won two playoff games on the road to win the Grey Cup in double overtime. The following year, we failed to make the playoffs, ending our run of 34 consecutive years. Well... we made the playoffs, so hopefully we are a little more like the 05 squad.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Nice, I can’t wait to see what Charles can bring.

vCash

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Absolutely.

When I feel intense, I'm not above laying a burn.

vCash

Are we starting 9 internationals?

-4 OL
    -2 WR/WR-FB
    -1 DE
    -1 S
    -1 CB

I just don’t get it...

Is Oneyka really getting the start at CB?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Are we starting 9 internationals?

-4 OL
    -2 WR/WR-FB
    -1 DE
    -1 S
    -1 CB

I just don’t get it...

Is Oneyka really getting the start at CB?
    I mean Nationals?

vCash

Wonder if this'll be McCarty's last game. If ever "once an Eskimo, always an Eskimo" applied to anyone, it's to him.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.