Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 422

Thread: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,081
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Actually under Maas we are 3-2 in Hamilton with 1 playoff win but we did lose the last 2 times we've been there. One of our 2 losses was by 1 point and the other we had Kilgore behind center.
    I should have worded it better my mistake.

    A loss is a loss in my books. The last time they played them it was 42-12. Kilgore was under center but that really doesn't matter. They gave up 42 pts. If your offense has to score more than 42 pts to win a game, doesn't really matter who's under center. The chances of that happening are slim.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,332
    vCash
    0
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    It's not the returner that's the problem...it's the blocking that they don't get and the holding we're not allowed to get away with that everyone else seems to be able to. It's been a long time since I've returned kicks but I remember not running towards the pack of defenders seemed to work a lot... Instead it seems like our guys always try to go to the short side and get edged into the sidelines when the middle of the field is empty.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,711
    vCash
    11626
    Rep Power
    1152

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    It's not the returner that's the problem...it's the blocking that they don't get and the holding we're not allowed to get away with that everyone else seems to be able to. It's been a long time since I've returned kicks but I remember not running towards the pack of defenders seemed to work a lot... Instead it seems like our guys always try to go to the short side and get edged into the sidelines when the middle of the field is empty.
    Yup, definitely issues with the blocking (either scheme or missed assignments). Although we've had a few longer returns up the middle, our scheme seems to be most confused in those situations. If I was a an opposing ST coach, I'd boot it down the middle every time. Most of our decent returns from the centre of the field have been more a result of botched play on the opposing team, not anything we've done right.

    Maybe it's just my perception, but we seem to be very passive on punting situations (except for two or three demons out there) I really thought AJ would put some fire in their bellys. Thank god our kickers are top notch; at least we have that.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,924
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    816

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    It's baffling to me how other teams seem to find a returner pretty easily yet the Esks can't. I can't even pin it on a particular GM. Brock has struck out so far. He traded for both Jones and Martise and both have just been OK but he's having to give up assets to get them where other teams just sign guys. Hervey was no better. There has been different coaches with different schemes. I haven't gone through who all has played special teams over the years but does anyone know if the bulk of the guys on the teams has been the same for quite a few years? It doesn't seem to matter who coaches or who catches the balls, the results are the same.
    baffling for me as well as we've had guys come in that have had success (Martese Jackson) but they seem to disappear here. Like others have said it must have to do with blocking schemes or some sort of Gizmo curse LOL
    #PizStrong

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    144
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    im really pumped.
    I was yelling aloud during scores and big stops this past wknd. havent done that in a while
    You should have seen those of us in Montreal last Sunday. There were less than 100 but boy did we make noise. A lot of scowling Alouette fans around us.

    My wife asked my 13 year old daughter (who was with me in Montreal) what she wanted for Christmas. Her response? "A trip to Hamilton on Sunday and tickets to the game". Sadly, that might be a bit too far for a one day trip.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,924
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    816

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I should have worded it better my mistake.

    A loss is a loss in my books. The last time they played them it was 42-12. Kilgore was under center but that really doesn't matter. They gave up 42 pts. If your offense has to score more than 42 pts to win a game, doesn't really matter who's under center. The chances of that happening are slim.
    To be fair I actually thought the same thing about our Hamilton visits and thought I was going to see a fairly long gap between wins but was surprised when I saw our actual record there.
    #PizStrong

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,532
    vCash
    2175
    Rep Power
    90

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I should have worded it better my mistake.

    A loss is a loss in my books. The last time they played them it was 42-12. Kilgore was under center but that really doesn't matter. They gave up 42 pts. If your offense has to score more than 42 pts to win a game, doesn't really matter who's under center. The chances of that happening are slim.
    True, but... the old adage "the best defense is a good offense" also rings true. If our offense is staying on the field longer, getting yards, and putting up more points, it means less time that their offense has the ball, worse field position they start off with, and fewer points that they get.

    There is no question that our D has to be better than the last time we were there, or even last week, if we're going to win this game. But if our O is clicking, it's unlikely that they get 42 points on us this week.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    144
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Wouldn't the Riders making it result in better TV ratings and possibly attendance (in terms of actual bums showing up in seats)? I wonder how many Stamps fans will be dumping their tickets.
    TSN doesn't care about bums in seats. The Stamps organization, the city of Calgary and the CFL do, as that gets them money. TSN gets theirs from viewers. Quebec viewers are done. Vancouver viewers are dreaming of the Seahawks now. If Ontario is locked out, only the hardcore fans will view. Sure, all 2300 people actually living ins Saskatchewan will watch, along with the infiltrators that live elsewhere. The Winnipeg market is not huge either. TSN wants the old East/West thing, especially in light of the West's dominance in recent years. It's a good storyline to sell and create ratings. Edmonton representing the East against Winnipeg/Sask is not in their interest.

    I shall now don my tin foil chapeau and go yell at the clouds.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,081
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    True, but... the old adage "the best defense is a good offense" also rings true. If our offense is staying on the field longer, getting yards, and putting up more points, it means less time that their offense has the ball, worse field position they start off with, and fewer points that they get.

    There is no question that our D has to be better than the last time we were there, or even last week, if we're going to win this game. But if our O is clicking, it's unlikely that they get 42 points on us this week.
    I don't discount that if it was Harris over Kilgore that the team would have probably did better but your defense has to be playing pretty bad to give up 42 pts. Even against Montreal, the defense/special teams gave up 29 pts. That is with Harris playing like he did. They will have to tighten up big time against Hamilton.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, AB
    Posts
    2,755
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    117

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    One thing that could be interesting is these are two teams that have drastically different philosophies regarding converts.

    The Ticats are the new age analyticals who go for 2 after almost half of their touchdowns, they went for 2 on 26 of their 56 touchdowns, and converted 18 of them.

    The Esks go old school, attempted 2 points only twice, failed both times, and I believe only late in games when the score dictated it.

    For what it’s worth, I embrace the Ticats philosophy on this and am curious if it will play a part on Sunday.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,711
    vCash
    11626
    Rep Power
    1152

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Going by the schedule, Esks are just wrapping up their first practice of the week - hopefully we get some reports/sound bites about the roster heading into Sunday's big game.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,758
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    195

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    TSN Loves their story lines. Wouldn't a Never has happened before all West Grey Cup be the bestest story line to have?

  13. #43
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,442
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    592

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Yup, definitely issues with the blocking (either scheme or missed assignments). Although we've had a few longer returns up the middle, our scheme seems to be most confused in those situations. If I was a an opposing ST coach, I'd boot it down the middle every time. Most of our decent returns from the centre of the field have been more a result of botched play on the opposing team, not anything we've done right.

    Maybe it's just my perception, but we seem to be very passive on punting situations (except for two or three demons out there) I really thought AJ would put some fire in their bellys. Thank god our kickers are top notch; at least we have that.
    Certainly makes you wonder . In his over a decade CFL career even Gene Wlasiuk took a punt return for a TD. And that was in the days of no blocking.

  14. #44

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Considering they haven't won the cup in 20 years, i would think the former.
    Fair enough. I look at that club though and they have some stability along with a new HC who has started off very well, they're probably set up for the foreseeable future regardless of if they win or lose on Sunday.

    Us on the other hand though, if some of the reports are true, we could be starting all the way back at square one again if we don't win this game.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,933
    vCash
    2114
    Rep Power
    116

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Game is sold out. Going to be a raucous environment to play in Sunday, that's for sure.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,711
    vCash
    11626
    Rep Power
    1152

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,081
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    114

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    You have to think that at this point in the season, you just roll with the guys you have unless they are hurt. A guy like Orange has been out for a month in a half. In a 1 game, winner take all, you can't afford to have a guy in the line up who maybe isn't in game shape or is rusty, not totally up to speed with any changes to the schemes. All it takes is for a guy to have even an off half and it could be game over.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,518
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    215

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    You have to think that at this point in the season, you just roll with the guys you have unless they are hurt. A guy like Orange has been out for a month in a half. In a 1 game, winner take all, you can't afford to have a guy in the line up who maybe isn't in game shape or is rusty, not totally up to speed with any changes to the schemes. All it takes is for a guy to have even an off half and it could be game over.
    With one game left on the 6-game, Orange is allowed to practice with the team without costing, but he can't go into the game. If we win the game, but lost a DB to injury, Orange could suit up for the GC. It's a sensible precaution.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    3,114
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    I was listening to CBC radio this morning, and heard that while
    Ontario has 24 legalized pot outlets
    Alberta has more than 300 plus.
    Somehow seemed relevant to this thread.

    Regardless ... GO. ESKS!!!!
    The CFL, playoff time ... anything can happen.
    Last edited by Moon1; 11-14-2019 at 03:41 PM.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    25,569
    vCash
    3182
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    I was listening to CBC radio this morning, and heard that while
    Ontario has 24 legalized pot outlets
    Alberta has more than 300 plus.
    Somehow seemed relevant to this thread.

    Regardless ... GO. ESKS!!!!
    The CFL, playoff time ... anything can happen.
    Alberta is the home of free enterprise in Canada. And we know that booze and weed can generate revenue that otherwise goes to bad hombres.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    3,407
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    baffling for me as well as we've had guys come in that have had success (Martese Jackson) but they seem to disappear here. Like others have said it must have to do with blocking schemes or some sort of Gizmo curse LOL

    Well.... we did trade way Steph Logan and he still seems to have some juice in those legs. I thinks its a combo of schemes and philosophy just as much as talent. Special teams SHOULD BE A WEAPON...... not a "fall forward and don't make a mistake" mentality!
    undefined

    The Moz'

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Squamish, BC
    Posts
    15,765
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    300

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    I don't recall Stefan Logan ever on our roster...?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    I'm not entirely sure myself...
    Posts
    6,385
    vCash
    2500
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    99

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I don't recall Stefan Logan ever on our roster...?
    Might've been a camp cut.

    I remember that Chad Owens was another name that we had in our camp but didn't hold onto. (Mind you, with our blocking he wouldn't have made any difference... )
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    144
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Alberta is the home of free enterprise in Canada. And we know that booze and weed can generate revenue that otherwise goes to bad hombres.
    I really miss being able to go pick up some beer later in the day. Out here, the damn beer store and LCBO close with retail hours. bleagh.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,313
    vCash
    2000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    152

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    I really miss being able to go pick up some beer later in the day. Out here, the damn beer store and LCBO close with retail hours. bleagh.
    Bars out that way are probably good with that
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

    "Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

    "When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

    "...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Back living in Edmonton
    Posts
    9,518
    vCash
    0
    Rep Power
    215

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I don't recall Stefan Logan ever on our roster...?
    Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Might've been a camp cut.

    I remember that Chad Owens was another name that we had in our camp but didn't hold onto. (Mind you, with our blocking he wouldn't have made any difference... )
    That's okay, I don't remember either of those people being on our roster. A quick check of the CFL transactions logs going back to 2004 doesn't show us ever signing either of them either.
    #PizStrong

    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

    Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,473
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    102

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Alberta is the home of free enterprise in Canada. And we know that booze and weed can generate revenue that otherwise goes to bad hombres.
    So the NDP did a crack jack job in setting this up eh?

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    12,711
    vCash
    11626
    Rep Power
    1152

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    16,371
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    236

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    That's okay, I don't remember either of those people being on our roster. A quick check of the CFL transactions logs going back to 2004 doesn't show us ever signing either of them either.
    I don’t recall either, either

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,933
    vCash
    2114
    Rep Power
    116

    Re: Eskimos @ Ti-Cats - A Chance to Make History

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I don’t recall either, either
    I don't recall either, either, either...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •