Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

vCash

Re: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I think the CFL implemented a limit on the number of tryout camps a team can run when they rolled out the ops cap as an additional strategy to control the amount of money teams are pumping into that side of the business (and away from the players cap). For a while there the Esks and Riders were hosting double or triple the number of camps that other teams were running and apparently the league didn’t like that disparity.
    I thought so as well, but it looks like the Stampeders have 10 open tryouts scheduled already...

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Based on the player's twitter feed, it looks like 6'4" 245lb DE Quincy Redmon has signed with the Esks. Redmon was at Dolphins camp and participated in XFL workouts, but was not drafted.

I'd share the tweet, but there were a couple of four letter words due to his excitement (he has since apologized for the language, lol)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Based on the player's twitter feed, it looks like 6'4" 245lb DE Quincy Redmon has signed with the Esks. Redmon was at Dolphins camp and participated in XFL workouts, but was not drafted.

I'd share the tweet, but there were a couple of four letter words due to his excitement (he has since apologized for the language, lol)
    The guy is a physical specimen. Really excited to see what he could do up here. Quite the story behind him. Can’t embed from my phone, but his workout videos and interviews are something.

I thought so as well, but it looks like the Stampeders have 10 open tryouts scheduled already...

Maybe I'm misremembering and attributing restrictions for organized off-season workout camps to tryout camps....Can't remember now, all these new rules around football ops spending seem somewhat counter intuitive so I have a hard time keeping them all straight lol.

vCash

Quincy Redmon, DS #81 DE, Fairmont State Bookmark and Share

Name: Quincy Redmon
    College: Fairmont State Number: 94
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 253
    Position: DE Pos2: OLB
    Class/Draft Year: Sr/2018
    40 Low: 4.70 40 Time: 4.77 40 High: 4.87
    Projected Round: Stock:

Dates: 03/29/18@WVU
    Hand: 10 7/8 Arm: 32 5/8
    Wingspan: 78 5/8

Height: 6037
    Weight: 253
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.76
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.70
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 17
    Vertical Jump: 32
    Broad Jump: 09'11"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.48
    3-Cone Drill: 7.19

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/r...s-to-reach-nfl

Redmon Beats All Odds To Reach NFL

D5A_9441p

Alain Poupart

Lead Writer

All Dolphins rookies have had to overcome obstacles to find themselves where they are today, preparing for their first NFL training camp.

But it’s hard to beat the journey of Quincy Redmon.

The defensive end from Fairmont State has dealt with adversity from the time he was child, but he never let that ever diminish his dream of playing in the NFL, which is just what he was doing during the offseason program.

“It’s insane,” he said. “I knew as a kid this is what I wanted to do. There were always going to be bumps in the road, I knew that. At times, there were a lot harder times, but I just knew this was definitely what I wanted to do and it’s definitely a blessing to be here.”

Redmon’s path included years of homelessness as a child, an injury at 9 years old that left him in a wheelchair and crutches for the better part of a year, another significant injury in high school, an issue with dyslexia that wasn’t diagnosed until he was in eighth grade, a transfer and position switch in college, and then lastly an injury that cost him the final five games of his college career.

So even though there was some disappointment that he didn’t get selected in the 2018 NFL draft, you can just imagine the emotion when the Dolphins called him to offer him a free agent contract.

“My fiancée, my mom and my brother, and her family, everybody just started crying because it was just like all the pain and suffering that we went through, it finally paid off,” Redmon said. “My mom and my brother and my fiancée, they’re all (going) through this wishing me the best and they’re going to keep grinding while I grind so one day I can finally take care of them.”

Redmon and his fiancée, Alexa, are planning on getting married next July. They’re expecting their first child this summer — the due date is July 26, which happens to be the day of the first practice of training camp.

Redmon is hoping to really start showing at that time the kind of pass rusher he can become on the professional level. He had 12 sacks as a junior at Fairmont State in 2016 when he was named the Mountain East Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

Even though he wasn’t able to duplicate those stats last year because of the injury, Redmon remains confident in his ability. And if he somehow doesn’t succeed, it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.

“I’m going to be one of the hardest-working guys out here doing any and everything I can just to make this team,” he said, “(and) just do whatever I can to help the team.”

Redmon graduated from Fairmont State with a degree in criminal justice, though he’s not planning on putting it to use for a long time.

The goal is to have a long and fruitful football career.

It’s a dream that easily could have been derailed when he was temporarily paralyzed from a football injury at the age of 9 or when he dislocated a kneecap while playing basketball in high school.

Through it all, Redmon never lost faith.

“No, just because overcoming so much in my life, like I knew I wasn’t going to stop until I got here regardless of the situation,” Redmon said. “I knew this was definitely what I wanted to do.”

Redmon, whose hometown is Keyser, West Virginia, always dreamed of playing for the state school, which is why he decided to begin his college career at WVU as a preferred walk-on.

It didn’t take him long to decide he needed to leave.

“That was a dream of mine to go to WVU, but then after transferring that was the best thing I could do for myself to put me in this situation,” he said. “I gave it one semester (at West Virginia) and I just knew. I never doubted myself, but I just wanted to play. That’s what I came to college to do was play, and I didn’t want to take that chance of waiting two, three years to play. I just wanted to get on the field and just really show coaches what I could do.”

Redmon always has maintained a positive attitude through all the setbacks and now it’s just about making the most of his opportunity.

Signing an NFL rookie free agent contract and participating in the offseason program were major first steps for him.

“It is definitely a dream come true, just because of every situation that everybody embraces,” he said. “But just for me in particular, this was definitely a (time) that I’ll never forget.”

================================================== =============

Good looking player not sure why we are looking at D-Line though?
    Last edited by danlaurin; 01-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post

Good looking player not sure why we are looking at D-Line though?
    Bazzie, Bowers, Moore & Nick Usher are all FA's, so I'm guessing that factors in.

vCash

Bazzie, Bowers, Moore & Nick Usher are all FA's, so I'm guessing that factors in.
    We have Charles, Mondo, Betts, Boateng and Ceresna. Looks good to me.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

If one of Kwaku or Betts get hurt, who's their backup? What if Charles doesn't pan out - same question? We need to find guys who could surpass their entry contracts, and who knows - this guy could shine in our league. It also doesn't mean that we aren't signing other players in every other position. I'll see what this guy looks like in camp.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

There aren't many 320+ lb DT's in the CFL. Too short of play clock, and too much pass rushing. I hope he proves me wrong, but he didn't dress in 2019 in the 6 weeks he was on the roster....
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    There aren't many 320+ lb DT's in the CFL. Too short of play clock, and too much pass rushing. I hope he proves me wrong, but he didn't dress in 2019 in the 6 weeks he was on the roster....

Yup the only ones I can think of are Drake Nevis and Big Ted. I personally think Stefan is better than both and will adjust well. I remember Jason saying he needed extra conditioning so I am sure that will be corrected for next season. We also have Marshall (Cdn De) Vickers and Perkins on the roster.
    Last edited by danlaurin; 01-13-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

vCash

Yup the only ones I can think of are Drake Nevis and Big Ted. I personally think Stefan is better than both and will adjust well. I remember Jason saying he needed extra conditioning so I am sure that will be corrected for next season. We also have Marshall (Cdn De) Vickers and Perkins on the roster.
    As well as Jesse Joseph, well at least for now
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

He was on the Stampeders off season roster last year. But didn't seem to make it to camp.

vCash

Here's an Eskimo who is gone...

vCash

Just me, but Elliott always looked like he was not giving 100% out there. Not sure if it was injury related or something else, but I think the fire is gone from his belly. Perhaps I was just expecting too much from him?

vCash

Just me, but Elliott always looked like he was not giving 100% out there. Not sure if it was injury related or something else, but I think the fire is gone from his belly. Perhaps I was just expecting too much from him?
    Elliot was one of the Argo trifecta ( hazleton, Elliott and gurley ) who all got released together in somewhat of a strange timing/ move under milanovich in his last year.. This doesn’t surprise me..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Here's an Eskimo who is gone...
    No loss imo....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Elliot was one of the Argo trifecta ( hazleton, Elliott and gurley ) who all got released together in somewhat of a strange timing/ move under milanovich in his last year.. This doesn’t surprise me..
    yep the timing of this tells me Milanovich said he didn't want him around.

vCash

Maybe Milanovich didn't want Elliot but at the same time he's also a 31 yr, going to be 32 yr old receiver who hasn't really made an impact for the Esks or for any in quite a few years. He barely plays. I'd rather see his roster spot given to a younger receiver who maybe can develop into an impact player. Once you get into your late 20's and 30's, what you see is what you are going to get.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Maybe Milanovich didn't want Elliot but at the same time he's also a 31 yr, going to be 32 yr old receiver who hasn't really made an impact for the Esks or for any in quite a few years. He barely plays. I'd rather see his roster spot given to a younger receiver who maybe can develop into an impact player. Once you get into your late 20's and 30's, what you see is what you are going to get.
    Maybe creating an opportunity for someone like Bryce Bobo?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Maybe creating an opportunity for someone like Bryce Bobo?
    It can be anyone. Elliott is what he is. There is no hidden upside there. So if he hasn't been good enough to crack your roster to date, why keep him around. I would much rather give the roster spot to a guy in his mid 20's fresh out of college vs a over 30 yr old. That guy in his 20's could be the next Walker or Zylstra who knows. Everyone knows that Elliott is.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    It can be anyone. Elliott is what he is. There is no hidden upside there. So if he hasn't been good enough to crack your roster to date, why keep him around. I would much rather give the roster spot to a guy in his mid 20's fresh out of college vs a over 30 yr old. That guy in his 20's could be the next Walker or Zylstra who knows. Everyone knows that Elliott is.
    agreed

vCash

Another NFL tryout

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Another NFL tryout
    Hard to see him making it in the NFL. He wasn’t all that noticeable for the most part last season. He’ll be back with the Esks next season....

vCash
    Blog Entries

^ Then again, Damaso Munoz somehow managed to snag a contract with the Bucs a few years ago IIRC.
    Keep an open mind, and you never know who might walk in...

RIP Pizmo

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Hard to see him making it in the NFL. He wasn’t all that noticeable for the most part last season. He’ll be back with the Esks next season....
    He is young, big, seemed to move really good for a big man, and came out of a top notch NCAA program (Tennessee).
    He didn't get much press in the rotation with perennial all star Almondo Sewell and Mike Moore.

vCash

Not sure what this amounts to? We released him last year and now have reacquired him? I have a feeling this trade means more for Winnipeg, but we shall see.

Perhaps his experience at kick/punt returns? If anyone else has any other theories, I'd love to hear them...
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-23-2020 at 12:09 PM.

vCash

We aren't re-signing Christion Jones I think is what this means...

vCash

... well that makes sense I guess

vCash

... well that makes sense I guess

I think it means that Mr. Gable may not be coming back to the neighborhood.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

Not sure what this amounts to? We released him last year and now have reacquired him? I have a feeling this trade means more for Winnipeg, but we shall see.

Perhaps his experience at kick/punt returns? If anyone else has any other theories, I'd love to hear them...
    I know someone who is going to LOVE this move as Brock gave him away then gave something up to get him back