Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

vCash

Re: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Maybe they are hoping that medical technology will advance in the next 4 months that they can replace his wonky, left interior flippyflapper in time to salvage the season.
    Maybe it is just a charley horse?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mudnyereye View Post
    Maybe they are hoping that medical technology will advance in the next 4 months that they can replace his wonky, left interior flippyflapper in time to salvage the season.
    Maybe Brock watched the McDavid recovery video and is currently negotiating a discounted rate for what it cost for McDavid. When that falls through, in August we will all watch "Whatever it takes 2 - Santos Knox story". Instead of Don Metz produced, it will be a NAIT student production. Brock will have Knox lay on a table with a sheet over top and point a hair drier at his leg or whatever is hurt to simulate the Oxygen tank. Instead of Gary Roberts, it will be Gizmo training him.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-12-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    We now know that BS strategy is to follow the time honored winning tradition of the Al's and Argos and build consistent winners through FA...oh wait.
    How would you describe Hervey's tactics lately?
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Maybe Brock watched the McDavid recovery video and is currently negotiating a discounted rate for what it cost for McDavid. When that falls through, in August we will all watch "Whatever it takes 2 - Santos Knox story". Instead of Don Metz produced, it will be a NAIT student production. Brock will have Knox lay on a table with a sheet over top and point a hair drier at his leg or whatever is hurt to simulate the Oxygen tank. Instead of Gary Roberts, it will be Gizmo training him.
    actually that's pretty damn funny
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I'd expect to read nothing else from you regarding BS. #Herveylove4life.
    I'm sorry, I missed all those home playoff games, and championships in the last 3 seasons here, perhaps you can show them to me?
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I'm sorry, I missed all those home playoff games, and championships in the last 3 seasons here, perhaps you can show them to me?
    I'm sorry I missed all your posts when the Esks where actually doing good. Oh thats right- its harder to bitch about BS when stuff is going good.

Could BS do better? Hell Ya... could Hervey ? Yep. Its not like Hervey was the greatest GM ever.

CFL GM record
    Team Year Regular Season Post Season
    Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Result
    EDM 2013 4 14 0 .222 4th in West Division - - Failed to Qualify
    EDM 2014 12 6 0 .666 2nd in West Division 1 1 Lost in West Final
    EDM 2015 14 4 0 .777 1st in West Division 2 0 Won Grey Cup
    EDM 2016 10 8 0 .555 3rd in West Division 1 1 Lost in East Final
    BC 2018 9 9 0 .500 4th in West Division 0 1 Lost in East Semi Final
    BC 2019 5 13 0 .278 5th in West Division - - Failed to Qualify
    Total 54 54 0 .500 1 Division
    Championships 4 3 1 Grey Cups

I would have loved to keep Hervey - **** happens but I have yet to see you post ONE negative thing about Hervey and you take every opportunity to bash BS because he's not your BFF.
    Last edited by Esks4ever; 02-12-2020 at 12:20 PM.

vCash

As the dust settles on day 1 of Free Trade (there should really be a Canadian holiday for this) and everyone from sports reporters, ex-players, GMs (and wanna-be GMs), down to the average fan starts either their navel gazing or soap box pontificating, we are stuck with one certainty. We can only speculate how all of the moves that were made, will come together. Sure, we can analyze stats, review past performance, scrutinize the schedule, factor in whether the coach prefers smooth or crunchy peanut butter, consult rune stones, sacrifice a Calgary virgin (good luck finding one) or employ whatever other prognostication tools we wish.

Ultimately, no one knows how things will shake out until we hit the field on opening gameday. Players that stood out on their previous team, perhaps don't gel with the others on their squad. Personality clashes happen, injuries happen, air quality makes a player struggle. There are so many factors that come into play.

Last year, most people thought we owned free agency. Everyone was anticipating a good year. It indeed looked promising at the start but either we didn't grow as a team and the others did, injuries messed with team cohesion or bad coaching shot us down but we flushed out. This year, it looks like some good signings and some real head scratchers. How much of team building is based on science (stats and methodology) vs going with a gut feeling.

From my perspective, there is still time for signings and movement prior to TC but we can see the team we will be going in with. It doesn't fill me with unprecedented confidence or with dread and despair. Does magic happen this year? Do the changes that were made, fill the glaring gaps everyone saw last year? Do we have a retread that may find his way in the right environment or are they here to provide extra bodies. We can hope that some of the fresh unknowns will step up and become that diamond in the rough that people crave.

I guess we will see once there's that fist kick-off. Until then, have fun with the discussions but don't make yourself sick over it.
    There are better things in the world than beer but beer sort of compensates for not getting them.

vCash

FA Signings
    MINCY JONATHAN DB - From Montreal
    COVINGTON ANTHONY DB - From Toronto
    TUGGLE JUSTIN LB - From Hamilton
    WASHINGTON TRUMAINE DB - From Toronto
    BURKS BRANDON RB - From Toronto
    JONES KORY LB - From Winnipeg
    RYAN SHAKIER WR/KR - From Montreal
    CHARETTE ALEX WR - From Toronto
    ROY JEAN SIMON OL - From BC
    HAM CALEB DB - From Toronto

Eskimos Free Agents
    ADAMS Johnny A DB Michigan State - Retired
    ADJEI NATEY N WR Buffalo - Released - Signed with Toronto (02/05/20)
    BATISTE D’Anthony A OL Louisiana At Lafayette - Retired
    BAZZIE Alex A DL Marshall - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    BEARD David N OL Alberta -Re-signed (01/29/20)
    BOND Travis A OL North Carolina
    BOWERS Da’Quan A DL Clemson - Retired
    COLQUHOUN Arjen N DB Michigan State - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    COOPER Shaquille A RB Fort Hays State - Re-signed (01/08/20)
    DANIELS DaVaris A WR Notre Dame - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    DEAN Larry A LB Valdosta State - Signed in Hamilton (02/11/20)
    DRAHEIM Tommie A OL San Diego State - Re-signed (02/11/20)
    GABLE CJ A RB USC
    GLASS Tyquwan A DB Fresno State - Signed in Montreal (02/11/20)
    HOOVER Jordan N DB Waterloo - Re-signed(01/30/20)
    HUNTER Monshadrik A DB Arkansas State - Signed in Montreal (02/12/20)
    JACKSON Martese A RB Florida Atlantic
    JOHNSON Josh A DB Purdue - Signed in Winnipeg (02/11/20)
    JONES Christion A RB Alabama - Re-signed (01/27/20)
    JOSEPH Jesse N DL Connecticut
    KILGORE Logan A QB Middle Tennessee State - Re-signed (02/10/20)
    MACKIE Mark N DL McMaster - Re-signed (02/11/20)
    MARSHALL Andrew N DL Simon Fraser
    MCCARTY Calvin N FB Western Washington
    MCKNIGHT Maurice A DB San Jose State
    MOORE Mike A DL Virginia - Re-signed (01/31/20)
    MULUMBA-TSHIMANGA, Christophe N LB Maine - Signed in Ottawa (02/11/20)
    ORANGE ANTHONY DB Fresno State - Released
    PARKER Anthony N WR Calgary - Re-signed (02/06/20)
    ROTTIER Simeon N OL Alberta - Retired
    RUBY Jacob N OL Richmond - Re-signed (01/31/20)
    SANTOS-KNOX Jovan A LB Massachusetts - Re-signed (02/04/20)
    SMITH Jamill A WR Ball State
    ST. JOHN Josiah N OL Oklahoma - Signed in Saskatchewan (02/12/20)
    TUCK James N FB York - Re-signed (02/04/20)
    UNAMBA Don A DB Southern Arkansas - Signed in Ottawa (02/11/20)
    USHER Nick A DL Texas El Paso - Signed with Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
    VICKERS KENDALL A DL - Signed with the Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
    WALKER Brian A DB Fayetteville State - Re-signed (01/08/20)
    Last edited by Jtuck09; 02-12-2020 at 01:34 PM.

vCash

I'm sorry I missed all your posts when the Esks where actually doing good. Oh thats right- its harder to bitch about BS when stuff is going good.
    I am not looking to pick a fight, this is only a question but when have things gone overly well lately?

2018 season they were 9-9, dead last in the West and missed the playoffs.

2019 season they were 8-10. 7 out of 8 of their wins were against BC, Toronto and Ottawa. Those 3 teams were a combined 12-42 last year. Their other win was the first game of the season against the ALs. At the time the ALs had GM problems, coach problems, both of whom got fired and Adams wasn't the starter it was Pipkin. When they turned the team over to Jones at HC and Adams as a starter, it turned their season around. Pipkin the game 1 starter is currently unemployed. They made the playoffs because Toronto and Ottawa were so bad and they didn't beat a single team with a anything close to a winning record last year. The only positive was they beat the ALs in the East semi's but got blown out by Hamilton the next week.

This year is a new year, changes were made and I am hopeful things will improve but where exactly has been all the positives the last few seasons?
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

I'm happier with this years FA than last as seeing we added some mid-tier, mid-dollar guys rather than totally blowing our wad on the big names that did nothing (Orange, Daniels, Knox but I'll give Rogers a pass for injury). Still would like to see some confidence shown in our scouting and development. Surely we have a capable LB or 2 between Diggs, Pittman or some rookie. Same for young WRs like Bobo.
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

I am not looking to pick a fight, this is only a question but when have things gone overly well lately?

2019 season they were 8-10. 7 out of 8 of their wins were against BC, Toronto and Ottawa. Those 3 teams were a combined 12-42 last year. Their other win was the first game of the season against the ALs. At the time the ALs had GM problems, coach problems, both of whom got fired and Adams wasn't the starter it was Pipkin. When they turned the team over to Jones at HC and Adams as a starter, it turned their season around. Pipkin the game 1 starter is currently unemployed. They made the playoffs because Toronto and Ottawa were so bad and they didn't beat a single team with a anything close to a winning record last year. The only positive was they beat the ALs in the East semi's but got blown out by Hamilton the next week.

This year is a new year, changes were made and I am hopeful things will improve but where exactly has been all the positives the last few seasons?
    There's been times where people felt good about this team. I guess you could say each year started pretty good (granted most of the time the early season is against the poorer teams) only to completely unravel late August through early October, with okay finishes. But we all know it's not how you start in pro sports, but how you finish that matters. So I'm more in your court that things haven't gone too well, which bought me some tolerance with the Maas dismissal even prior to SMs hiring.

This year is 100% on Brock though for me. He's gottten rid of every excuse we could have made. This team needs to make the playoffs and at least be a threat at getting home field in the final third of the schedule for him to prove he's got things going in the right direction. We can debate individual moves from here to eternity as some look terrible on the surface, some look great and others are just meh, but how the overall team performs this year will be 100% on Brock.

vCash

no fight picked. It hasn't been all roses for us during brock's tenure. Win/loss record has declined since his was brought on board.

my argument is there are people out there that refuse to give any credit to BS at all. Brock has done some good things. Those people, Hervey's BFFs are silent when stuffs going good aka winning games etc - but the minute something bad happens

they are front and center with the bashing. Don't get me wrong I'm not enamored with Brock - I'm more on the fence about him but I can see some good is what he's doing.. those Hevery BFFS refuse to.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    There's been times where people felt good about this team. I guess you could say each year started pretty good (granted most of the time the early season is against the poorer teams) only to completely unravel late August through early October, with okay finishes. But we all know it's not how you start in pro sports, but how you finish that matters. So I'm more in your court that things haven't gone too well, which bought me some tolerance with the Maas dismissal even prior to SMs hiring.

This year is 100% on Brock though for me. He's gottten rid of every excuse we could have made. This team needs to make the playoffs and at least be a threat at getting home field in the final third of the schedule for him to prove he's got things going in the right direction. We can debate individual moves from here to eternity as some look terrible on the surface, some look great and others are just meh, but how the overall team performs this year will be 100% on Brock.
    Yup, this is now Brock's year. This is his coaching staff. It's ALL on him now going forward.

I want a home playoff game for this team. Grey Cup is obviously the end goal for us, as it should be for any team, but I want a home playoff game, which has alluded us under Maas and Brock.

vCash

Totally agree with you.

We now know that BS strategy is to follow the time honored winning tradition of the Al's and Argos and build consistent winners through FA...oh wait.

We actually do know that despite all the pom pom waving by fans and media alike, our FA strategy in 2019 was an abysmal failure. (I'd like to order a few dozen Todaso's please). Coupled with BS's strategy from week 4 onward of going back to vets and routineley asking/demanding salary cuts, has also created an environment where the word is out in the league that makes us not a top destination for FA's. The rather large exodus of players who actually performed should be alarming. SVR & Knox stayed cos they were hurt and got paid, now Knox is hurt again?

Our position of strength at LB took a big hit, with question marks now at SAM and WIL.

Kilgore is just f****ng garbage

Year 4 and the inability to show that we can recruit young talent from the US is an albatross around this team's neck

I also see BS like to sign WR's he can look in the eye.

Shaping up to be a long season, from today's POV
    Ive heard hes got a BAD case of Napoleon Complex...

vCash
    Blog Entries

RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I’ve heard he’s got a BAD case of Napoleon Complex...
    I didn't realize he was as short as he is until that picture with Milanovich. Seeing that picture I assumed Milanovich was some freak of nature giant, but then noticed around other people he didn't seem so tall.

vCash

this is Brock's make it or break it season for me.

vCash

no fight picked. It hasn't been all roses for us during brock's tenure. Win/loss record has declined since his was brought on board.

my argument is there are people out there that refuse to give any credit to BS at all. Brock has done some good things. Those people, Hervey's BFFs are silent when stuffs going good aka winning games etc - but the minute something bad happens

they are front and center with the bashing. Don't get me wrong I'm not enamored with Brock - I'm more on the fence about him but I can see some good is what he's doing.. those Hevery BFFS refuse to.
    I won't speak for others. I have said many times, I don't care who's name is on the GM's office. I legit don't. All I care about is winning football games. That's it. I fully admit I am not a Brock fan and have been critical of him. The reason I don't like him is the team hasn't won enough games. That's it. I don't care where he gets his players from, how much he gives them or how he goes about finding guys. Put together a winning football team. They are 17-19 the last 2 seasons and they finished last and second last the last 2 years.

So to your point about saying he did good. So as an example. Week 6 last year they lost to the Als 20-10 and didn't look too good in the loss. They whip Toronto 26-0 week 7. I believe up until then the Argo's were winless and only won 4 games total. Then week 8 they lose to Calgary. Week 9 they barely beat Ottawa at home, Ottawa had 3 wins all year. Week 10, they win against the Argos. Week 11 they lose to Winnipeg. Week 12 they lose to Calgary by 16. Week 13 they lost to Calgary in Edmonton by 16. Week 15 they lose to Hamilton by 3, then week 16 they squeak by Ottawa again. Week 17 they are blown out by 30 against Hamilton. So as a fan that is not the biggest fan of Brock and is critical of the moves he makes because the team isn't winning. I should jump to slap him on the back when they beat the Argos in week 10, only to lose 4 games in a row after? Or slap him on the back when they squeak out a win against Ottawa to stop a losing streak, only to get blown out by 30 the week later?

Maybe my way of thinking isn't correct but personally, I am looking for better results than winning the odd game before I sing the praises of the management team. I'd like the Esks be a contending team the whole season, not just for a short spurt. I'd like to see the Esks make the playoffs on their own because their record deserves it in their division vs the only way the make it is because 2 teams in the other division are really, really bad. I'd like to see the Esks fighting for a home playoff date.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-12-2020 at 01:27 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Over BS' term we've discussed his pipeline to Ottawa players, but seeing their success over the previous 4-5 years that was at least a understandable approach.

Interesting how many Argo alumni we're targetting this year. I wonder if there's something to a really toxic environment there that had a lot of players underperform or are we hitching ourselves to a pretty lame talent pool. I'm getting a little concerned but hoping to be proven wrong.

vCash

FA Signings
    MINCY JONATHAN DB - From Montreal
    COVINGTON ANTHONY DB - From Toronto
    TUGGLE JUSTIN LB - From Hamilton
    WASHINGTON TRUMAINE DB - From Toronto
    BURKS BRANDON RB - From Toronto
    JONES KORY LB - From Winnipeg
    RYAN SHAKIER WR/KR - From Montreal
    CHARETTE ALEX WR - From Toronto
    ROY JEAN SIMON OL - From BC
    HAM CALEB DB - From Toronto
    GABRIEL JERMAINE DB - From Toronto

Eskimos Free Agents
    ADAMS Johnny A DB Michigan State - Retired
    ADJEI NATEY N WR Buffalo - Released - Signed with Toronto (02/05/20)
    BATISTE D’Anthony A OL Louisiana At Lafayette - Retired
    BAZZIE Alex A DL Marshall - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    BEARD David N OL Alberta -Re-signed (01/29/20)
    BOND Travis A OL North Carolina
    BOWERS Da’Quan A DL Clemson - Retired
    COLQUHOUN Arjen N DB Michigan State - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    COOPER Shaquille A RB Fort Hays State - Re-signed (01/08/20)
    DANIELS DaVaris A WR Notre Dame - Signed in Toronto (02/11/20)
    DEAN Larry A LB Valdosta State - Signed in Hamilton (02/11/20)
    DRAHEIM Tommie A OL San Diego State - Re-signed (02/11/20)
    GABLE CJ A RB USC
    GLASS Tyquwan A DB Fresno State - Signed in Montreal (02/11/20)
    HOOVER Jordan N DB Waterloo - Re-signed(01/30/20)
    HUNTER Monshadrik A DB Arkansas State - Signed in Montreal (02/12/20)
    JACKSON Martese A RB Florida Atlantic
    JOHNSON Josh A DB Purdue - Signed in Winnipeg (02/11/20)
    JONES Christion A RB Alabama - Re-signed (01/27/20)
    JOSEPH Jesse N DL Connecticut
    KILGORE Logan A QB Middle Tennessee State - Re-signed (02/10/20)
    MACKIE Mark N DL McMaster - Re-signed (02/11/20)
    MARSHALL Andrew N DL Simon Fraser
    MCCARTY Calvin N FB Western Washington
    MCKNIGHT Maurice A DB San Jose State
    MOORE Mike A DL Virginia - Re-signed (01/31/20)
    MULUMBA-TSHIMANGA, Christophe N LB Maine - Signed in Ottawa (02/11/20)
    ORANGE ANTHONY DB Fresno State - Released
    PARKER Anthony N WR Calgary - Re-signed (02/06/20)
    ROTTIER Simeon N OL Alberta - Retired
    RUBY Jacob N OL Richmond - Re-signed (01/31/20)
    SANTOS-KNOX Jovan A LB Massachusetts - Re-signed (02/04/20)
    SMITH Jamill A WR Ball State
    ST. JOHN Josiah N OL Oklahoma - Signed in Saskatchewan (02/12/20)
    TUCK James N FB York - Re-signed (02/04/20)
    UNAMBA Don A DB Southern Arkansas - Signed in Ottawa (02/11/20)
    USHER Nick A DL Texas El Paso - Signed with Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
    VICKERS KENDALL A DL - Signed with the Las Vegas Raiders (NFL)
    WALKER Brian A DB Fayetteville State - Re-signed (01/08/20)

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Could BS do better? Hell Ya... could Hervey ? Yep. Its not like Hervey was the greatest GM ever.

CFL GM record
    Team Year Regular Season Post Season
    Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Result
    EDM 2013 4 14 0 .222 4th in West Division - - Failed to Qualify
    EDM 2014 12 6 0 .666 2nd in West Division 1 1 Lost in West Final
    EDM 2015 14 4 0 .777 1st in West Division 2 0 Won Grey Cup
    EDM 2016 10 8 0 .555 3rd in West Division 1 1 Lost in East Final
    BC 2018 9 9 0 .500 4th in West Division 0 1 Lost in East Semi Final
    BC 2019 5 13 0 .278 5th in West Division - - Failed to Qualify
    Total 54 54 0 .500 1 Division
    Championships 4 3 1 Grey Cups

I would have loved to keep Hervey - **** happens but I have yet to see you post ONE negative thing about Hervey and you take every opportunity to bash BS because he's not your BFF.
    he inherrited a championship calibre roster and has pissed it away, with nothing to show for it. That's the bottom line.

- - - Updated - - -

That's no secret to anyone
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

We should be strong up front, with some depth, on both sides of line. Our defensive backfield has been restocked (not sold on it being better yet) and we have a franchise qb. Still some holes.... but we're getting there.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Welcome to our new starting Safety....

I like this signing.

vCash

I liked Hoover and King because they appeared to be extremely hard working and dedicated, and looks like they were excellent at doing exactly what the coaches told them to do. But it'll be nice to see an actual talented starting safety once again.

vCash

Course you'd call it a "championship calibre" roster after all it was the Mastermind Hervey's roster.

Maybe 2018 could have been different if Reilly hadn't mailed in the 2nd half of the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Now comparing BS to have a Napolean complex... wow... Guess O'donnell should be worried then ?

Hervey4life

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Yup, this is now Brock's year. This is his coaching staff. It's ALL on him now going forward.

I want a home playoff game for this team. Grey Cup is obviously the end goal for us, as it should be for any team, but I want a home playoff game, which has alluded us under Maas and Brock.
    My thoughts exactly. You cannot expect a GM to overhall a team/ scouting staff in a year or 2 but this is completely his team now and my eyes are squarely on him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    My thoughts exactly. You cannot expect a GM to overhall a team/ scouting staff in a year or 2 but this is completely his team now and my eyes are squarely on him.
    agreed 100%.

he inherrited a championship calibre roster and has pissed it away, with nothing to show for it. That's the bottom line.

- - - Updated - - -

That's no secret to anyone
    There have been some good gets for this club during his tenure (Boateng, Trevor Harris, Milanovich to name a few) but over-all I’m hoping Milanovich can take on the dual GM/HC role at seasons end.

vCash

I find that very hard to believe. How could a guy construct a football roster while having issues like that.