Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

vCash

Attention What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

Well, with the off-season approaching.. what does this team need? What's our core and who do we build around?

GM Brock Sunderland: - STAY. He'll be staying. Theres no reason to even debate this. He's clearly at the top of the food chain on this organization, right or wrong.

HC Jason Maas: - GO. I'm so conflicted over this, because I really like a lot of his staff. It's the first "good staff" we've had in a while. I would love him to stay as an offensive co-ordinator, but that's a fantasy land and would never happen. The penalties are the deciding factor and the red zone issues and reluctance to emphasize special teams contribute massively as well. When he put Brandon Zylstra as a returner down the stretch a couple seasons ago, I knew what he wanted from a special teams perspective. A guy to not make mistakes. Well: no risk it, no biscuit. This team plays from a disadvantage every game because we've already lost 1/3 phases of football. It puts so much pressure on our O & D to be dynamite every week. Also, for as aggressive as he is in personality and his demeanour on the sidelines, it doesn't convert to the football field in his playcalling. Today: 4th quarter and we're down 28-13. Driving after the D forced a fumble. Trevor Harris misses a wide open Daniels at the Hamilton 11 yard line on a curl route. In this situation, you don't kick a FG. IT'S STILL A TWO POSSESSION GAME WITH A FIELD GOAL. Maas kicks a FG. That was the game. He's just too conservative in these situations. There was a similar situation early in the game in Montreal last week. Set a tone.

On a side note, whoever does come in, I'd love for them to think about this coaching staff and try to retain as many as possible:

- I love Jason Tucker and I thought the work he did with this group of receivers was nothing short of extraordinary. Ellingson is a possession guy at this stage of his career. We start Adjei, who is strictly a possession guy with zero athleticism or size. Tevaun Smith has more explosiveness but is a rookie. He made tremendous strides. Collins was an under the radar signing who had his best year as a pro. Daniels when he was in there was good.
    - Tim Prinsen and Mike Gibson have done a fantastic job with the running backs and offensive line.
    - Phillip Lolley brought some much needed aggression back to this team
    - Demetrious Maxie has brought aggressiveness and consistent production to the DL. No matter who's been there has produced and had career years.

Which leads me to my coaches I'd want:

A) Chris Jones: Give him whatever he wants a season. Cleveland's coaching staff will be let go once Freddie Kitchens is gone. He's aggressive, he commands respect, plays to his players strengths and coaches around the league fear him. Whenever he steps onto a field, he gets the best out of his roster. Make the call, gauge his interest and see if he'd be interested in bringing his mentality back to Edmonton. Lolley is close with him, Maxie is familiar with him, etc.

Rick Campbell: As long as he has quality personnel, he has success with a team. He knows Sunderland, knows Trevor Harris, has connections around the league as far as building a coaching staff is concerned.

STAY OR GO:

GO:

- Natey Adjei
    - Alex Bazzie
    - Jordan Beaulieu
    - CJ Gable
    - Tanner Green
    - Logan Kilgore
    - Mark Mackie
    - James Tuck
    - Don Unamba
    - Kendal Vickers
    - Money Hunter
    - Martese Jackson
    - Colin Kelly
    - Nick Usher
    - Tommie Draheim (unless he wants to stay as a backup to SVR)
    - Harry McMaster
    - Scott Hutter

STAY:

- Trevor Harris
    - Greg Ellingson
    - Shaq Cooper
    - David Beard
    - Mathieu Betts
    - Kwaku Boateng
    - Vontae Diggs
    - Jovan Santos-Knox
    - Larry Dean
    - Ricky Collins
    - Davaris Daniels: As a 3rd receiver, he's best. But we need someone explosive to go with Ellingson, Collins, Daniels, and Smith. We need one more impact receiver. If we have those 4 receivers and start one other top flight receiver, that's an amazing receiving core. Everyone would fill into their proper roles.
    - Jordan Hoover: Not sure if he's a starting safety, but he'd be excellent on special teams as a Mike Miller type of player. Safety has been an issue for years and we need someone athletic who can fill that spot.
    - Josh Johnson: So impressed with this dude.
    - Mike Moore
    - Matt O'Donnell
    - Sean Whyte
    - Godfrey Onyeka
    - Jacob Ruby: Improved big time this year.
    - Kyle Saxelid: Deserves an opportunity to start next year. What a draft by Sunderland last year.
    - Almondo Sewell: I'd start 2 Canadians on the DL next year. I'd play 6 every game: Kwaku, Boeteng, Charles (Canadians) and Sewell, Ceresna, Moore (Americans) Keep a rotation going and keep those guys fresh. Should help us against the run.
    - Tevaun Smith: Only Canadian starter in receiving core.
    - Josiah St. John
    - Brian Walker: Liked what I saw to end the season
    - Christion Jones
    - Anthony Parker
    - Jake Ceresna
    - SirVincent Rogers
    - Anthony Orange
    - Arjen Colquhoun: This is the last chance for Arjen. When he's in the line-up, he's so talented. And he's CANADIAN. If he wasn't Canadian, he would have been gone a long time ago.

STRATEGIES:

You'll notice a theme amongst my "GO" people. A lot of guys who aren't athletic and don't have much speed. I've said as a joke many times, but there's some truth to it. There's way too many heavy white dudes on our special teams. In 2015, we were fast and physical. Chris Jones preached it. Guys with big time size, big time athleticism: Willie Jefferson, Dexter McCoil, Patrick Watkins, etc. We have to get back to that mindset. We have to be the biggest, fastest, most athletic team in the league next season. Especially on D & ST.

Get back to starting 4 Canadians on the OL: We have the guys. Ruby, Saxelid, O'Donnell, Beard. The only starting American on the OL should be SVR.

- 4 Canadians starting on OL
    - 2 Canadians on DL (Betts, Kwaku with Charles)
    - 1 WR (Tevaun Smith, Anthony Parker rotating)
    - 1 DB (Arjen Colquhoun)

Starting 8 gives us flexibility within games.

TEAM NEEDS:

- A dominant receiver. Imagining a Derel Walker on this team would be unbelievable.
    - More DB's: I like Orange, Johnson and I like Walker, Hightower as depth. We need to get an all star back there or scout someone with speed and physicality. Imagining Nick Marshall on this team or someone of that calibre?

-----------------

All in all, I don't think this team needs wholesale changes. We need a more aggressive on-field mindset, more discipline, a few more DB's and WR's, and a complete revamp on special teams other than Christion Jones.

What does everyone think?

vCash

Re: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

I agree with all the players you mentioned.

I don't know how the Esks can bring back all 4 receivers. They lack an explosive receiver and it's hard to bring that guy in if you bring them all back. I'd probably keep 2 and let one go. Ellington right now is the better of the 3 but he's also the oldest by 3 yrs and probably the most expensive. I'd probably let Ellingston go for cost cutting. If Williams came available, I'd go had after him.

I'd move on from Colquhoun. 3 yrs in a row he's missed significant time. As a Canadian starter, I'm sure he makes a lot of money. He's no good to the team if he doesn't play.

I'd let Orange go. He will be 31 next year. Missed lots of time and when he did play, wasn't overly impressive.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    Well, with the off-season approaching.. what does this team need? What's our core and who do we build around?

GM Brock Sunderland: - STAY. He'll be staying. Theres no reason to even debate this. He's clearly at the top of the food chain on this organization, right or wrong.

HC Jason Maas: - GO. I'm so conflicted over this, because I really like a lot of his staff. It's the first "good staff" we've had in a while. I would love him to stay as an offensive co-ordinator, but that's a fantasy land and would never happen. The penalties are the deciding factor and the red zone issues and reluctance to emphasize special teams contribute massively as well. When he put Brandon Zylstra as a returner down the stretch a couple seasons ago, I knew what he wanted from a special teams perspective. A guy to not make mistakes. Well: no risk it, no biscuit. This team plays from a disadvantage every game because we've already lost 1/3 phases of football. It puts so much pressure on our O & D to be dynamite every week. Also, for as aggressive as he is in personality and his demeanour on the sidelines, it doesn't convert to the football field in his playcalling. Today: 4th quarter and we're down 28-13. Driving after the D forced a fumble. Trevor Harris misses a wide open Daniels at the Hamilton 11 yard line on a curl route. In this situation, you don't kick a FG. IT'S STILL A TWO POSSESSION GAME WITH A FIELD GOAL. Maas kicks a FG. That was the game. He's just too conservative in these situations. There was a similar situation early in the game in Montreal last week. Set a tone.

On a side note, whoever does come in, I'd love for them to think about this coaching staff and try to retain as many as possible:

- I love Jason Tucker and I thought the work he did with this group of receivers was nothing short of extraordinary. Ellingson is a possession guy at this stage of his career. We start Adjei, who is strictly a possession guy with zero athleticism or size. Tevaun Smith has more explosiveness but is a rookie. He made tremendous strides. Collins was an under the radar signing who had his best year as a pro. Daniels when he was in there was good.
    - Tim Prinsen and Mike Gibson have done a fantastic job with the running backs and offensive line.
    - Phillip Lolley brought some much needed aggression back to this team
    - Demetrious Maxie has brought aggressiveness and consistent production to the DL. No matter who's been there has produced and had career years.

Which leads me to my coaches I'd want:

A) Chris Jones: Give him whatever he wants a season. Cleveland's coaching staff will be let go once Freddie Kitchens is gone. He's aggressive, he commands respect, plays to his players strengths and coaches around the league fear him. Whenever he steps onto a field, he gets the best out of his roster. Make the call, gauge his interest and see if he'd be interested in bringing his mentality back to Edmonton. Lolley is close with him, Maxie is familiar with him, etc.

Rick Campbell: As long as he has quality personnel, he has success with a team. He knows Sunderland, knows Trevor Harris, has connections around the league as far as building a coaching staff is concerned.

STAY OR GO:

GO:

- Natey Adjei
    - Alex Bazzie
    - Jordan Beaulieu
    - CJ Gable
    - Tanner Green
    - Logan Kilgore
    - Mark Mackie
    - James Tuck
    - Don Unamba
    - Kendal Vickers
    - Money Hunter
    - Martese Jackson
    - Colin Kelly
    - Nick Usher
    - Tommie Draheim (unless he wants to stay as a backup to SVR)
    - Harry McMaster
    - Scott Hutter

STAY:

- Trevor Harris
    - Greg Ellingson
    - Shaq Cooper
    - David Beard
    - Mathieu Betts
    - Kwaku Boateng
    - Vontae Diggs
    - Jovan Santos-Knox
    - Larry Dean
    - Ricky Collins
    - Davaris Daniels: As a 3rd receiver, he's best. But we need someone explosive to go with Ellingson, Collins, Daniels, and Smith. We need one more impact receiver. If we have those 4 receivers and start one other top flight receiver, that's an amazing receiving core. Everyone would fill into their proper roles.
    - Jordan Hoover: Not sure if he's a starting safety, but he'd be excellent on special teams as a Mike Miller type of player. Safety has been an issue for years and we need someone athletic who can fill that spot.
    - Josh Johnson: So impressed with this dude.
    - Mike Moore
    - Matt O'Donnell
    - Sean Whyte
    - Godfrey Onyeka
    - Jacob Ruby: Improved big time this year.
    - Kyle Saxelid: Deserves an opportunity to start next year. What a draft by Sunderland last year.
    - Almondo Sewell: I'd start 2 Canadians on the DL next year. I'd play 6 every game: Kwaku, Boeteng, Charles (Canadians) and Sewell, Ceresna, Moore (Americans) Keep a rotation going and keep those guys fresh. Should help us against the run.
    - Tevaun Smith: Only Canadian starter in receiving core.
    - Josiah St. John
    - Brian Walker: Liked what I saw to end the season
    - Christion Jones
    - Anthony Parker
    - Jake Ceresna
    - SirVincent Rogers
    - Anthony Orange
    - Arjen Colquhoun: This is the last chance for Arjen. When he's in the line-up, he's so talented. And he's CANADIAN. If he wasn't Canadian, he would have been gone a long time ago.

STRATEGIES:

You'll notice a theme amongst my "GO" people. A lot of guys who aren't athletic and don't have much speed. I've said as a joke many times, but there's some truth to it. There's way too many heavy white dudes on our special teams. In 2015, we were fast and physical. Chris Jones preached it. Guys with big time size, big time athleticism: Willie Jefferson, Dexter McCoil, Patrick Watkins, etc. We have to get back to that mindset. We have to be the biggest, fastest, most athletic team in the league next season. Especially on D & ST.

Get back to starting 4 Canadians on the OL: We have the guys. Ruby, Saxelid, O'Donnell, Beard. The only starting American on the OL should be SVR.

- 4 Canadians starting on OL
    - 2 Canadians on DL (Betts, Kwaku with Charles)
    - 1 WR (Tevaun Smith, Anthony Parker rotating)
    - 1 DB (Arjen Colquhoun)

Starting 8 gives us flexibility within games.

TEAM NEEDS:

- A dominant receiver. Imagining a Derel Walker on this team would be unbelievable.
    - More DB's: I like Orange, Johnson and I like Walker, Hightower as depth. We need to get an all star back there or scout someone with speed and physicality. Imagining Nick Marshall on this team or someone of that calibre?

-----------------

All in all, I don't think this team needs wholesale changes. We need a more aggressive on-field mindset, more discipline, a few more DB's and WR's, and a complete revamp on special teams other than Christion Jones.

What does everyone think?
    So to clarify, you want to bring in a new HC, who will bring in his own assistants, who will then want to bring in their own players to run their new systems, but you don’t want to make wholesale changes...

vCash
    Blog Entries

I trust Chris Jones with my team again as much as I'd trust Tillman (patooie!!) to babysit my kid... Mercenary jerk. Would like to see Campbell come in as HC. I like Jason as a person and a player, but the lack of adjustments, the lack of focus on Special Teams, the lack of discipline and poor resource management are huge factors for me.
    Some receivers that don't give up and actually try to catch the ball would be a refreshing change of pace.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

Lol ''no wholesale changes''. Then lists whole bunch that needs to change lol.

Sorry but Chris Jones? Laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Lol ''no wholesale changes''. Then lists whole bunch that needs to change lol.

Sorry but Chris Jones? Laughable
    "no wholesale changes, just a complete top to bottom rebuild including brand new philosophy's on both sides of the ball"

vCash

I'd take chris jones in 3 seconds.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd take chris jones in 3 seconds.
    And then he'd bail at 5 seconds

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I trust Chris Jones with my team again as much as I'd trust Tillman (patooie!!) to babysit my kid... Mercenary jerk. Would like to see Campbell come in as HC. I like Jason as a person and a player, but the lack of adjustments, the lack of focus on Special Teams, the lack of discipline and poor resource management are huge factors for me.
    Some receivers that don't give up and actually try to catch the ball would be a refreshing change of pace.
    This 100%. I don't want Chris Jones anywhere near this team.
    Agree with your take on Jason Maas. I think it's run it's course, time to move on. Rick Campbell would be my first choice due to his pedigree and also his history with Harris.
    Gable is a joke. Time for him to go too.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Our Center RT and LG were not good enough Trevor was under constant pressure from the interior and it was the cause of at least one of the picks. We definitely need to replace Kelly Ruby or Beard. We really miss Sorenson. I liked the play of Onyeka, Johnson, Aside from that no one stood out in the secondary.

Our D-Line our Linebackers are set Our receivers are very good no one aside from Ellingson is Elite.

With Onyeka finally being ready and the play of Colqhoun and Johnson we have the start of a dominant secondary we just need 2 more pieces there.

2 O-Lineman (Justin Senior I hope) 2 Solid Db's, and one dynamic WR. Maybe Zylstra or Mitchell comes back.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    So to clarify, you want to bring in a new HC, who will bring in his own assistants, who will then want to bring in their own players to run their new systems, but you don’t want to make wholesale changes...
    No because I don't think the roster is that bad. There's a few starters I'd switch out, there's a few practice roster and injury list guys that I'd elevate and work to acquire some more depth in free agency and through the draft. But this doesn't need to be a complete tear down. There's a lot of players here that regardless of the scheme, can be impact players. In the CFL, there's going to be lots of turnover every year with the short contracts.

A good coach doesn't fit square pegs into round holes. It's why the Patriots have been so good for years and years. They adjust their team and their identity to fit their personnel. We have a lot of good personnel. We have some quality coaches that need to be looked at as being retained.
    Last edited by EsksTMac; 11-18-2019 at 04:19 PM.

vCash

I agree we have lots of good players, just not enough of them

One more all star receiver
    One stud left tackle , move saxelid to Kelly’s spot
    2 stud defensive backs

Better overall special teams. Not sure what type of players are needed there

With a healthy Harris that team could compete for the grey cup

We don’t need to blow it up but aren’t there yet roster wise imo

That’s why I’m concerned changing the coaching staff moves more
    Backwards than forwards

vCash

I think a coaching staff built around Rick Campbell at HC and Devone Claybrooks at DC would very intriguing. It’s too bad the Esks can’t just demote Maas because I wouldn’t be opposed to him as OC but his time has HC has run its course.

vCash

I think the one very important thing we need to consider is that a lot of our free agents were on one-year deals. We may want them back, but there is no guarantee they will take what we offer them in 2020
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I think the one very important thing we need to consider is that a lot of our free agents were on one-year deals. We may want them back, but there is no guarantee they will take what we offer them in 2020
    Exactly, this isn’t the NHL. Teams are more often then not in a maximum of 2-3 year cycles due to the nature of CFL contracts and last year basically was a complete rebuild, with Maas being one of few carry overs (and I think that was to coax Reilly into staying).

Changing course one year into a new cycle that hasn’t started off well with the same head coach who had mediocre results in the previous cycle is hardly as outrageous as some fans are making it out to be.

vCash

Does anyone on this site have a list of our FA’s coming up?
    The only name mentioned by BS in today’s interview was Mike Moore. As I recall, Harris signed a 2-yr deal as did Ellingson, while Santos-Knox, Larry Dean & Don Unamba signed for 1 yr only.
    Last edited by writfiler; 11-18-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    No because I don't think the roster is that bad. There's a few starters I'd switch out, there's a few practice roster and injury list guys that I'd elevate and work to acquire some more depth in free agency and through the draft. But this doesn't need to be a complete tear down. There's a lot of players here that regardless of the scheme, can be impact players. In the CFL, there's going to be lots of turnover every year with the short contracts.

A good coach doesn't fit square pegs into round holes. It's why the Patriots have been so good for years and years. They adjust their team and their identity to fit their personnel. We have a lot of good personnel. We have some quality coaches that need to be looked at as being retained.
    The flaw in your logic though is that you don’t get to fire Maas AND keep the roster and assistant coaching staff as is.

If Maas goes they all go.

vCash

So you want to turnover almost 40% of the roster and bring in new coaches and you figure the team will be better off?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    So you want to turnover almost 40% of the roster and bring in new coaches and you figure the team will be better off?
    Logic is hard sometimes

- - - Updated - - -

After listening to this interview and the one with Brock right after it, I got the sense that Brock might be leaning towards staying the course with Jason and his staff which would go a long way towards gaining my trust in his capability as a GM.

vCash

I listened to a bunch of Edmonton media guys yesterday in Nielsen's round table talk about the Esks and many of them echoed what some have said that the Esks roster was really talented and it's Maas's fault. At this point, I am 50-50 on whether Maas should go. IMO he's not an elite coach but I think he's a good coach. He has warts, some things I would like him to improve on but he has a lot of good things. I have maintained that IMO you don't fire Maas just because you think you need to make a change for the sake of change. You fire Maas if you know you are getting an upgrade. I am not sure there is an upgrade out there. If they fire Maas, I would be surprised if Campbell didn't get it given he's probably the best candidate available and Brock LOVES his Ottawa guys. But I don't know if he's an upgrade on Maas.

Where I disagree a lot with the media guys and with some is the talent level on this team. As I said, there are good pieces on this team. But like I said, the Esks do not have a big play receiver. IMO you NEED a big play receiver on offense. The Ticats have 2, Banks and Addison and those guys lead the way last game. The Esks have a bunch of guys who are good but not great. That's not on the coach. The Esks lost their starting QB for a significant amount of time. He missed 5 starts, one of them was on purpose. Another game against Calgary he barely played. The Esks did not have an adequate back up. That's not on the coach. The Esks defense was better this year but I chalk that up to the Dline being able to get a lot of pressure on the QB's and sacks. Early on, the Esks Dline was shredding teams. But secondary AGAIN was a weak spot, especially for the second half of the season. That's not on the coach.

So I do question if there truly was enough talent and if a different HC would have gotten more. The Esks offense was pretty good. Could a few different calls have happened, sure but a different HC doesn't change missing a big play receiver. Most of the teams in this league have a big play guy and it makes a difference. A different HC doesn't change the fact that Kilgore who ended up playing a fair amount of games, isn't a quality QB in the CFL. It hurt the team a lot. He was unemployed last year and there is a reason, he's not that good. The one thing Maas excels at is offense and making QB's better so if Maas can't make Kilgore even remotely decent, it's not happening. A different HC doesn't change the fact that the Esks secondary, which was made up of mostly guys from last year who weren't good enough, wasn't good enough again. If your secondary can't cover guys, you won't win a lot of games. They couldn't cover very well last year and they didn't win enough games. They couldn't cover guys this year and guess what, the didn't win a lot of games. So the Esks need to be very careful in dumping Maas if that happens because there were some major roster holes on this team that dramatically impacted the Esks success that IMO, a different HC can't do anything about.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I don't see Jones accepting a CFL HCing job without significant input/control on the player personnel side so I don't believe he would end up here assuming the esks moved on from Maas which I don't believe will be the case based on Sunderland's recent interview. If Jones does end up back in the CFL I am thinking Ottawa (assuming they part ways with Desjardin) or Toronto might be the more likely scenarios assuming either one of those clubs would be willing to give him a lot of control player personnel wise. Curios on why Unamba is on your go list. Is this just to save $ and replace him with Diggs in the starting lineup or is he not athletic nor have much speed as you mention in your post regarding guys on your go list?
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Here's where I see problems.
    Hervey built the team to win in the trenches. Chris Jones wanted speed and elite athletes on D who could play man. Benevides wanted zone cover guys. Lolley is more a Jones type DC. Reilly stretched the field by giving our tall playmakers a chance to win contested balls. Harris is a pick you apart, death by a million paper cuts QB.

What I'm trying to say is this team needs consistency in scheme so that Brock can bring in players that fit the scheme. Otherwise we get stuck in this never ending cycle of bringing in new coaches and players who don't match. Want evidence that consistency pays off?! Check out Calgary, Check out the glory years with the Al's. Always bringing in new players and coaches is whats caused this issue for the Esks the past 5 years.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Hervey built the team to win in the trenches. Chris Jones wanted speed and elite athletes on D who could play man. Benevides wanted zone cover guys. Lolley is more a Jones type DC. Reilly stretched the field by giving our tall playmakers a chance to win contested balls. Harris is a pick you apart, death by a million paper cuts QB.

What I'm trying to say is this team needs consistency in scheme so that Brock can bring in players that fit the scheme. Otherwise we get stuck in this never ending cycle of bringing in new coaches and players who don't match. Want evidence that consistency pays off?! Check out Calgary, Check out the glory years with the Al's. Always bringing in new players and coaches is whats caused this issue for the Esks the past 5 years.
    Agree. Whichever way they go I'd like it to be similar in scheme, but other coaches can provide similar scheme's with potentially better results.

We can't keep changing styles every year if you want to develop an identity. Build an identity, bring in coaches that re-enforce schemes to support that identity then bring players that can succeed within that type of scheme.

Consistency of identity can still be achieved even with some changing personel. Unfortunately, this team has been changing its identity way too much the past decade or so. I think this is what the hockey world likes to call "culture"
    Last edited by bone; 11-19-2019 at 01:22 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I don't see Jones accepting a CFL HCing job without significant input/control on the player personnel side so I don't believe he would end up here assuming the esks moved on from Maas which I don't believe will be the case based on Sunderland's recent interview. If Jones does end up back in the CFL I am thinking Ottawa (assuming they part ways with Desjardin) or Toronto might be the more likely scenarios assuming either one of those clubs would be willing to give him a lot of control player personnel wise. Curios on why Unamba is on your go list. Is this just to save $ and replace him with Diggs in the starting lineup or is he not athletic nor have much speed as you mention in your post regarding guys on your go list?
    Diggs is a WIL Linebacker; Unamba is a nickel that they call a SAM LB. Early in the season we had Unamba's spot covered by Brian Walker after Unamba was injured, and he did a pretty solid job, which is admirable for someone who is 23 or 24 and one of the youngest players on our team, IMO.

The OP said he would also get rid of Tanner Green - I would find this a mistake as I think he could be the heir to McCarty once he decides to hang them up. I thought he's played quite well in his limited role, and would like to see him grow with the team. Tommie Draheim had a very solid outing at LT, and why wouldn't you try to find a way to keep him - perhaps move him to RT with SirV at LT, unless you feel that we could allow Saxelid to grow more into that role?

Everyone will have their own list, but I find there are some very reactionary names in the original list here.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Bloody good post!

Couldn’t agree more with this, without a doubt the biggest issue that’s challenged this club lately.

vCash

Off the field:

- Fix the costs; this includes tickets ($50 day of game for Bronze? Seriously?), beer ($10?), food (all too much), etc. They'll make more money by lowering these prices, much like teams like the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens have.
    - Push for a Labour Day home game. It should be rotated and it would create huge hype
    - Fix the damn schedule... no more Thursday Night Football and no more Sunday's once the NFL kicks off.

On the field:

- Desperately need some help in the secondary; at least two guys who can play man
    - Need a WR who can take the top off the opposing teams secondary.
    - Fix ST's, they're beyond broken and

Way off the field:

Figure out how to get some calls their way and eliminate some of the insane bias that clearly exists in this league.

Last note.... I don't think Jason Maas is the problem, and be careful what you wish for.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Off the field:

- Fix the costs; this includes tickets ($50 day of game for Bronze? Seriously?), beer ($10?), food (all too much), etc. They'll make more money by lowering these prices, much like teams like the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens have.
    - Push for a Labour Day home game. It should be rotated and it would create huge hype
    - Fix the damn schedule... no more Thursday Night Football and no more Sunday's once the NFL kicks off.

On the field:

- Desperately need some help in the secondary; at least two guys who can play man
    - Need a WR who can take the top off the opposing teams secondary.
    - Fix ST's, they're beyond broken and

Way off the field:

Figure out how to get some calls their way and eliminate some of the insane bias that clearly exists in this league.

Last note.... I don't think Jason Maas is the problem, and be careful what you wish for.
    Yeah.... that pretty much nails it!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Justin Dunk speculating the Esks could hire Marcel Bellefeuille if they fire Maas

See, that would be an example of a backwards move

The guy had a below .500 record in Hamilton and a brutal offense in Winnipeg

If Maas gets fired they Better not look at a coach as below average to bad as Marcel