Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3442434445 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1326

Thread: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

vCash

Re: What Does This Team Need? Stay or GO?

Just thought I'd post this here. Good deal on thirds - I think it works out to 155 with cresting. The shop is also offering Canada wide delivery for 5 bucks as well.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Why so cheap? Changing their name already

vCash

vCash

I guess since we don't have a 2020 season yet (and thread), I'll post this here.

I was wondering how much we kicked in for the Als. Here's the answer:

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I guess since we don't have a 2020 season yet (and thread), I'll post this here.

I was wondering how much we kicked in for the Als. Here's the answer:

So even if you set aside the contribution we had to make to the ALS as one of the strongest financial teams in the league we would have still reported a loss of about $150 K. Highlights the point that maybe the CFL does need a revamp to their business plan with cost cutting measures required. Sucks for the players but teams cannot go on losing money indefinitely.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    So even if you set aside the contribution we had to make to the ALS as one of the strongest financial teams in the league we would have still reported a loss of about $150 K. Highlights the point that maybe the CFL does need a revamp to their business plan with cost cutting measures required. Sucks for the players but teams cannot go on losing money indefinitely.
    I agree. I think you need to start from scratch. You need to maintain a quality product, but realistically, you cant afford to pay a QB 750k. Not in a gate driven league when attendance is down in all pro sport (pre-Covid). I think there should be individual salary caps as well as team SMS. That might hurt the free agency market, but it will certainly improve a fan's connection to the players on the home team roster if they aren't jumping ship for more money every year.

I do want to add that Pres/CEO Chris Presson was on TSN1260 today. He talked about the need to address attendance woes. He did say that 1700 people took advantage of the 99 dollar season ticket promo in the winter. He added that while that is only one part of the solution, they are looking at all things that impact getting people out to CW.

vCash

It is only going to get harder to get fans in the stands. It has been well documented here what people think the problems are. The biggest one being the focus on what is best for TV vs. what is best for at game fans.

vCash

It's official. The Eskimos have formally announced that they will be changing their name. The new name could be announces as early as next week.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-cfl-fran...name-1.1496402

vCash

I'm not sure they "formerly announced" anything, though it's likely to happen.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    I'm not sure they "formerly announced" anything, though it's likely to happen.
    Was going to say the same thing but lets face it, all that's left is the formality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I agree. I think you need to start from scratch. You need to maintain a quality product, but realistically, you cant afford to pay a QB 750k. Not in a gate driven league when attendance is down in all pro sport (pre-Covid). I think there should be individual salary caps as well as team SMS. That might hurt the free agency market, but it will certainly improve a fan's connection to the players on the home team roster if they aren't jumping ship for more money every year.

I do want to add that Pres/CEO Chris Presson was on TSN1260 today. He talked about the need to address attendance woes. He did say that 1700 people took advantage of the 99 dollar season ticket promo in the winter. He added that while that is only one part of the solution, they are looking at all things that impact getting people out to CW.
    I mean, the new president has been described as “in over his head” and “dear in the headlights” when I’ve talked to people who work for the club, so in that sense it shouldn’t be surprising that he was the one who caved to the pressure.

Our team has been sold out to the pandering of a mob by individuals who are too afraid of the potential backlash to stand up for what is right.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 07-17-2020 at 08:56 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I mean, the new president has been described as ‘in over his head’ and ‘dear in the headlights’ when I’ve talked to people I ho have worked for the club, so in that sense it shouldn’t be surprising that he was the one who caved to the pressure.

Our team has been sold out to the pandering of a minority of weak, scared, individuals who are too afraid of the potential backlash to stand up for what is right.
    Not sure in over his head is correct, to make money and have longevity in a sport like arena football where teams and leagues go bump overnight, to make money and have legit best team in any of the indoor leagues shouldn’t be sniffed at...

I think he knows how to many clubs money.

I know we’re frustrated at the club for folding on the name.. but as soon as the redskins we’re gone.. we stood no chance.. all that nfl power and money can’t stop it.. we were always gonna be in trouble

Sad times

vCash

I am of firm belief the CFL is not going to survive unfortunately.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure why we hired this guy for our president and he has Zero CFL experience ,was never comfortable from him since day 1 not sure why just didn't get a good vibe .We should have asked Sean Fleming if he still wanted the position or given it to a former Eskimo in some capacity ,just my honest opinion .Go Eskimos Go forever

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I'm not sure why we hired this guy for our president and he has Zero CFL experience ,was never comfortable from him since day 1 not sure why just didn't get a good vibe .We should have asked Sean Fleming if he still wanted the position or given it to a former Eskimo in some capacity ,just my honest opinion .Go Eskimos Go forever
    I've never understood the connection between elite players and management positions. Fleming may very well be the best guy for the job but why limit yourself? Presson has done some great things in my opinion ($99 seats) but unfortunately this whole COVID thing has derailed the train.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I've never understood the connection between elite players and management positions. Fleming may very well be the best guy for the job but why limit yourself? Presson has done some great things in my opinion ($99 seats) but unfortunately this whole COVID thing has derailed the train.
    Presson must be wondering what the heck he got himself into. Signed on to one of the most stable CFL franchises and the sh*t starts flying everywhere. Covid, name change, $ 950K to the Als ...... Can't appease everyone about a possible name change. With the covid numbers rising across the border I'd really be surprised to see footballs in the air here this year. Certainly can't blame anyone . big name college teams in the states are cutting the salaries of coaches also.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Presson must be wondering what the heck he got himself into. Signed on to one of the most stable CFL franchises and the sh*t starts flying everywhere. Covid, name change, $ 950K to the Als ...... Can't appease everyone about a possible name change. With the covid numbers rising across the border I'd really be surprised to see footballs in the air here this year. Certainly can't blame anyone . big name college teams in the states are cutting the salaries of coaches also.
    I can't envision a more difficult first 12 months for a president being even possible. Say what you want about how he's done so far, but if he manages to navigate this and get this team running successfully, he should get quite a bit of rope afterwards.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Feel really bad for Justin Senior having to call it a career. His good bye letter posted on 3downnation is an amazingly honest and detailed account of his journey. Its too bad that we will never have a chance to see him suit up for the Green and Gold. https://3downnation.com/2020/08/13/j...onal-football/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Feel really bad for Justin Senior having to call it a career. His good bye letter posted on 3downnation is an amazingly honest and detailed account of his journey. Its too bad that we will never have a chance to see him suit up for the Green and Gold. https://3downnation.com/2020/08/13/j...onal-football/
    Good read...as a guy that has a hard time walking normally these days I can appreciate how hard football can be on the body at a younger age. If the Esks had said "Hey Boydo...we know your concussion history and your knee problems but if you just sign this so we can say you ignored our pleas not to play" I'd have done it. Even knowing now what I had no idea about then! Hell if they'd clear me, I'd try to hit the field tomorrow! It gets in your blood and a lot of guys will either play through the pain, self-medicate or be bitter for years after their career ends because it could have gone longer. Good for Senior, for having the foresight to know he wasn't going to get better and that it wasn't worth the pain in the long run. Yes, it sucks we never got to see him suit up but it's for the better in the long run. You never want a player that you wonder if he's going to make it through the next play let alone the season.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

I always hate when people say athletes shouldn't be paid so much.

1. There is tons of revenue in pro sports. If the athletes don't get it the owners keep it. Pay the talent!

2. You never know how long you will play. And you play until you break. Especially in football, there is a tremendous toll on your body that usually messes you up for the rest of your life. This limits future earning capabilities. Life long pain deserves to be compensated.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I always hate when people say athletes shouldn't be paid so much.

1. There is tons of revenue in pro sports. If the athletes don't get it the owners keep it. Pay the talent!

2. You never know how long you will play. And you play until you break. Especially in football, there is a tremendous toll on your body that usually messes you up for the rest of your life. This limits future earning capabilities. Life long pain deserves to be compensated.
    1. While I do think some sports pay WAY too much to their players...(cough...MLB...cough...) That was always something that I've loved about the CFL; the guys playing (for the most part of the guys that I played with/against) are playing for love of the game first. There are a lot that are trying to get film so they can go south sure...but when you're 21 years old and someone offers you $30k to play football for a season...if you've only had jobs pumping gas etc. it sounds awesome!! Then I remember guys like Wad, Groenewegen, and more having full time jobs in the off season so they could support the family and stuff. CFL is not and never will be a league to make your millions in.
    2. I remember one guy telling me in TC about how University ball and CFL are a lot alike but the differences are huge. It's like being in a car accident every week with the bumps, bruises, burns, scrapes and other injuries that can come along. The guys on the LOS know the risks and not many really think about snapping all their fingers when they get stuck in a facemask, or think "yeah!! turftoe!!". It does suck later on when the dust has settled and you try to remember the names of the faces you can remember being beside you in the huddle though.

vCash

I wonder if they have the cap room to add Cioffi.

vCash

With no season this year, what happens to contracts? I imagine many players won't return.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    With no season this year, what happens to contracts? I imagine many players won't return.
    I wonder if Santos-Knox will be ready to play by July 2021?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I imagine a lot of them will say f this I'll go get a regular job that pays nearly as much without the constant bs and retire
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I imagine a lot of them will say f this I'll go get a regular job that pays nearly as much without the constant bs and retire
    Which would open up a ton of spots for up and coming National players!! Yay.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Which would open up a ton of spots for up and coming National players!! Yay.
    or former players that want to make a Rocky Balboaesque comeback?
    Have you been training hard, saying your prayers and eating your vitamins?
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

or former players that want to make a Rocky Balboaesque comeback?
    Have you been training hard, saying your prayers and eating your vitamins?
    I have actually...but can't get cleared because of my noggin being broken.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I have actually...but can't get cleared because of my noggin being broken.
    don't worry I know a doctor that will clear you...he just wants to put his finger up your butt...not for medical reasons just cause that's his thing.
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

don't worry I know a doctor that will clear you...he just wants to put his finger up your butt...not for medical reasons just cause that's his thing.
    As long as I don’t wind up with both hands on my shoulders...