Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Maas gone......bring on Campbell

Re: Maas gone......bring on Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    While BC will save on the cap hit as the Esks will cover the difference between his HC salary and whatever BC pays him, they also have to cover Claybrooks' salary, and it's possible he doesn't land anywhere this year (though surely someone will need his defensive prowess at coaching). Still, you NEED to have an OC so if you have to pay someone, might as well pay Maas.
    I may have missed something but isn’t BC just going to use their mulligan on Claybrooks? So they’d still have to pay but it won’t count against the cap so it won’t hinder them in that sense. At least that was my understanding.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

They are choosing the option to spread out his hit over 5 years, likely in hopes that the league comes to it's sense before then on this idiotic policy
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    They are choosing the option to spread out his hit over 5 years, likely in hopes that the league comes to it's sense before then on this idiotic policy
    I didn’t even know u could do this.. wow

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I may have missed something but isn’t BC just going to use their mulligan on Claybrooks? So they’d still have to pay but it won’t count against the cap so it won’t hinder them in that sense. At least that was my understanding.
    Probably would be an option. Pay him out in one lump sum before the end of the year. The mulligan is only for the draft pick and personal fines portion. The regular monetary fines still apply for 2019. For the Lions it could be relatively inexpensive if they have lots of wiggle room left in the FOPs cap. Could be quite expensive if they finished right up against the cap. For arguments sake likes say Claybrooks was making $250K and has 2 years left = $500K. If I'm reading things correctly the fine for the first $100K over would be $100K. Beyond $100K it would cost between $25K and max $250K. If they are up against the FOPs cap it could cost $850K to buy out $500K in remaining salary commitments. In the extremely unlikely event they were $500K under that cap they could do it without paying a fine. Lump sum though would make for a real income tax kick in the pants for Claybrooks but they could probably come up with some arrangement that pays a chunk up front to reduce their exposure after the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Probably would be an option. Pay him out in one lump sum before the end of the year. The mulligan is only for the draft pick and personal fines portion. The regular monetary fines still apply for 2019. For the Lions it could be relatively inexpensive if they have lots of wiggle room left in the FOPs cap. Could be quite expensive if they finished right up against the cap. For arguments sake likes say Claybrooks was making $250K and has 2 years left = $500K. If I'm reading things correctly the fine for the first $100K over would be $100K. Beyond $100K it would cost between $25K and max $250K. If they are up against the FOPs cap it could cost $850K to buy out $500K in remaining salary commitments. In the extremely unlikely event they were $500K under that cap they could do it without paying a fine. Lump sum though would make for a real income tax kick in the pants for Claybrooks but they could probably come up with some arrangement that pays a chunk up front to reduce their exposure after the end of the year.
    Ah thanks, those details were pretty murky in my head.

So for the Esks, they have to hope Maas does get hired in BC otherwise his entire salary would have to be subtracted from whatever we end up paying our 2020 coaching staff rather than just paying the difference which would only be a portion of it. Am I reading that correctly?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The person that came up with this policy must have been a real dip **** chicken ****er
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Kerwin Bell has been working his way up the college ranks as head coach or offensive coordinator.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Kerwin Bell has been working his way up the college ranks as head coach or offensive coordinator.
    There's a blast from the past. Hard to gauge his interest. He is currently OC at U of South Florida. He spent time at smaller schools in Jacksonville U and Valdosta State. Guess it would depend on his career objectives. If he aspires to rise to HC at a solid Div I school then he's best to stay where he is given he's 54 now. All due respect to the CFL but with some very rare exceptions it's a bit of a dead end street or at minimum a step backwards for anybody with a goal of HC in the NCAA or NFL. The Kerwinator is probably 10 years too late to use the CFL as a stepping stone. Add to that as an OC in the AAC he's probably making CFL HC money, perhaps more, and he's doing in his home state of Florida.

vCash

There's a blast from the past. Hard to gauge his interest. He is currently OC at U of South Florida. He spent time at smaller schools in Jacksonville U and Valdosta State. Guess it would depend on his career objectives. If he aspires to rise to HC at a solid Div I school then he's best to stay where he is given he's 54 now. All due respect to the CFL but with some very rare exceptions it's a bit of a dead end street or at minimum a step backwards for anybody with a goal of HC in the NCAA or NFL. The Kerwinator is probably 10 years too late to use the CFL as a stepping stone. Add to that as an OC in the AAC he's probably making CFL HC money, perhaps more, and he's doing in his home state of Florida.
    His HC just got canned, NCAA staffs don’t usually last through those changes. Anyways, since Brock is struggling to get interviews I’m just lobbing names out there
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

One blogger on Rod Peterson show suggested that we give Richie Hall another chance and that Bellfueille is high on Sunderland list .I say Huge NO to both of those choices and if that happens Brock might as well just step down because I don't believe Esks fans would accept either choice .Id personally like hiring Lapo out of the current choices out there that are available unless there is an unknown that is not mentioned yet,any thoughts? What is everybody hearing up there in Edmonton ?

vCash

I don't really agree with that logic. Doesn't make sense to me to be thinking you need to move on from a coach then balk at it because you don't think there is a clear upgrade The main reason to make a change is that you no longer have confidence that the incumbent can get you over the hump to that next level. If you've made that determination then you let him go and worry about who's next at that point. It's a feeble excuse to say we're sticking with this guy who we don't think can win us a Cup because the next guy might not be any better better.
    The point of firing a head coach is you think someone else will do a better job and you will win more. So if none of the guys available are better or potentially worse than the guy you have. Why would you fire your decent head coach who's a guy your current plus previous players love playing for? How does that make your team better? In the CFL, where the dollars aren't huge if you as a player are mulling over similar offers who the coach is will play a factor in where you sign. So if a team has a coach you really like playing for, you will probably pick that team.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The point of firing a head coach is you think someone else will do a better job and you will win more. So if none of the guys available are better or potentially worse than the guy you have. Why would you fire your decent head coach who's a guy your current plus previous players love playing for? How does that make your team better? In the CFL, where the dollars aren't huge if you as a player are mulling over similar offers who the coach is will play a factor in where you sign. So if a team has a coach you really like playing for, you will probably pick that team.
    Agree 100%....

Have no idea why you fire Maas when many of the names thrown around are not as qualified or less of a coach.

Elizondo intereded me.....until he was denied permission form the XFL. I hope that BS did not fire Maas with the intention that Elizondo was going to be Maas replacement.

Lapolice has some interest to me. He just won a grey cup as the OC and his offenses always seem to have creativity and well organized and coached. Not sure how that translates into taking on the HC role. Years past I would have said no to Lapo, but for whatever reason this year he has gained my interest. Maybe Lapo as head coach/OC and Claybrooks as DC?

If Lolley is not retained as DC this might be of interest. Claybrooks did nothing for me as a head coach, but as DC in Calgary his D was top notch. Yes I now its Calgary and he had top notch talent year after year as the DC.

Does Mark Nelson As HC/DC interest anyone?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Agree 100%....

Have no idea why you fire Maas when many of the names thrown around are not as qualified or less of a coach.

Elizondo intereded me.....until he was denied permission form the XFL. I hope that BS did not fire Maas with the intention that Elizondo was going to be Maas replacement.

Lapolice has some interest to me. He just won a grey cup as the OC and his offenses always seem to have creativity and well organized and coached. Not sure how that translates into taking on the HC role. Years past I would have said no to Lapo, but for whatever reason this year he has gained my interest. Maybe Lapo as head coach/OC and Claybrooks as DC?

If Lolley is not retained as DC this might be of interest. Claybrooks did nothing for me as a head coach, but as DC in Calgary his D was top notch. Yes I now its Calgary and he had top notch talent year after year as the DC.

I have no information but IMO, Brock wanted Elizondo so when the XFL said know, his plan blew up in his face. Now he's scrambling. If you look at the Lions. As soon as Campbell was fired, they asked for permission to talk to him, wasn't it the next day? The hired Campbell on Monday and they have already talked to Maas about the OC job. https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-have-tal...-job-1.1407168
    They aren't wasting ANY time in putting together their staff and they are doing it with high level candidates. What have the Esks done so far?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    Agree 100%....

I don't know if the intention was any particular coach, be it Elizondo or Campbell, but just the fact that the team was not performing as Sunderland expected. It is concerning that some of those better candidates have been taken off the table for one reason or another.

I would be perfectly comfortable with Lapolice and Lolley, but am not sure I want to see a dual HC/OC or dual HC/DC if it can be avoided. To me, that was one of Maas' drawbacks. It might be a reality under the cap though.

Two observations as this process moves forward:

1. Sunderland looks like he sometimes thinks outside the box, as the front office he built had quite a few fresh faces to the Canadian game. Maybe his coaching selection will seem unconventional, but it'll likely be someone he has familiarity with.

2. He's been fairly direct in saying that person will have CFL experience. That might be a comfort for some who might have thought he would go off the radar in bringing in someone new from the States.

I'm not sure it will be one of the names everyone is mentioning. Kilam might make some sense given the background and the fact he wouldn't be a recycled head coach. I wonder if the Eagles underachieve if Carson Walch might be a name to think about. He has some familiarity with Edmonton and seemed to be highly regarded here. I just don't know if he'd be making more in the NFL.

vCash

Claybrooks is currently out of favour but might be one of the most qualified people available. First year jitters are out of the way.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bombervu View Post
    Claybrooks is currently out of favour but might be one of the most qualified people available. First year jitters are out of the way.
    My gut tells me that if a GM is gonna fire a first time HC in his first year with time remaining on his contract, then there is probably more issues than jitters.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

IMO if a GM's justification for firing his HC is that he thinks there is a specific candidate he thinks is an upgrade AND it will be easy to get him then he's almost guaranteed to have that blow up in his face. I don't think Sunderland is so dense as to think that with significant time and money already invested in Elizondo to put together the Vipers offense that they'd suddenly let him go putting them in the precarious position of scrambling to hire a new OC a couple of weeks before training camp opens. In the 1% chance they did so when permission was requested there were still 3 CFL vacancies meaning even if the XFL did say yes there are zero guarantees of hiring him. For all anybody knows he may have decided to decline the opportunity to return north and stay in the XFL. Laugh as we may at the XFL but for a younger coach like him the networking opportunities coaching with and against many with long ties to NFL and NCAA will provide him invaluable opportunities to expand his network to help advance towards jobs down south. I could absolutely see him saying thanks but no thanks to a CFL HC job at this point.

vCash

Riders to interview Jason Maas.

While I'd hate to see him there, it would be hilarious to see the 180 TSN would do on him.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I don't know if the intention was any particular coach, be it Elizondo or Campbell, but just the fact that the team was not performing as Sunderland expected. It is concerning that some of those better candidates have been taken off the table for one reason or another.

I would be perfectly comfortable with Lapolice and Lolley, but am not sure I want to see a dual HC/OC or dual HC/DC if it can be avoided. To me, that was one of Maas' drawbacks. It might be a reality under the cap though.

1. Sunderland looks like he sometimes thinks outside the box, as the front office he built had quite a few fresh faces to the Canadian game. Maybe his coaching selection will seem unconventional, but it'll likely be someone he has familiarity with.

2. He's been fairly direct in saying that person will have CFL experience. That might be a comfort for some who might have thought he would go off the radar in bringing in someone new from the States.

I'm not sure it will be one of the names everyone is mentioning. Kilam might make some sense given the background and the fact he wouldn't be a recycled head coach. I wonder if the Eagles underachieve if Carson Walch might be a name to think about. He has some familiarity with Edmonton and seemed to be highly regarded here. I just don't know if he'd be making more in the NFL.

Hmmm..Carson intrigues me. But if that were to happen it'd be later and I don't think Brock can wait

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Hmmm..Carson intrigues me. But if that were to happen it'd be later and I don't think Brock can wait
    True. Some HCs might get dusted between now and the end of the year but blood letting for assistants won't happen until January. If Brock wants to wait until then he puts the new HC at a significant disadvantge when it comes to filling out the rest of the staff. He'd be left to pick over the crumbs left after the other 8 teams have put together their staffs for 2020.

vCash

I wonder if the Eagles underachieve if Carson Walch might be a name to think about. He has some familiarity with Edmonton and seemed to be highly regarded here. I just don't know if he'd be making more in the NFL.
    From what I've read assistant coach salaries are all over the map in the NFL. Some teams pay much more than others depending on their market and profitability. Washington has the highest budget at $5.2M for 20 assistants (Ave $260K USD) while at the other end Jacksonville averages $197K USD. Keep in mind this is for assistants. The top 10 HCs run from $6M to Belichik at $12.5M and many Coordinators arenorth of $1M. Monte Kiffin is reportedly making $1.7M as DC in Tampa. Again all in USD. Suffice it to say Walch could easily be in the $250K to $300K CDN range. Articles reported the Sean Peyton was making around $1M as QB coach in Dallas before taking the HC job in NO.

vCash

The Eagles will most likely make sweeping coaching changes this off-season and Walch was one of the names mentioned that would be let go. I'm an Eagles fan and that's been all over the Eagles news today.

vCash

I don;t love the idea of Walch as HC but from him running the Maas offence for a year I'd put him high on my wish list for OC
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SandManFan View Post
    I don;t love the idea of Walch as HC but from him running the Maas offence for a year I'd put him high on my wish list for OC
    Not sure Walsh has any connection to any current hc candidates?? U have to think any hc specially a first time hc is gonna wanna lean on guys he trusts.. can’t see Walsh coming back unfortunately

vCash

TSN Naylor reporting that Maas will join Riders at OC......

When Maas was fired, a consequence is that we are going to make a rival a better football team. Say what you want about Maas as HC.....but his record as a OC is as strong as their is in the CFL. Not only have we made a rival better.....we still have no head coach and I starting to wonder if we have any potential candidates lined up. I hope BS didn't fire Maas in a knee-jerk reaction without a plan/vision in place.

- - - Updated - - -

The way the Cleveland Browns have under-performed, Its almost a certainty that the GM Dorsey will fire HC and could be a complete overhaul coaching staff.

Maybe Jones wants back in the CFL.....

vCash

I can't see Jones coming back to the CFL as just a HC but who knows. Maybe being a big fish in a small pond is way better than being a small fish in a big pond so to speak. His ego is pretty big so he might want to come back where he was pretty successful.

I kind of think BS thought Rick Campbell would jump at the chance to be HC in Edmonton and that is as far as his plan went.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    I can't see Jones coming back to the CFL as just a HC but who knows. Maybe being a big fish in a small pond is way better than being a small fish in a big pond so to speak. His ego is pretty big so he might want to come back where he was pretty successful.

I kind of think BS thought Rick Campbell would jump at the chance to be HC in Edmonton and that is as far as his plan went.
    I would have zero issue dumping Sunderland for Jones. It’s obviously risky given his history of moving around but we need a miracle at this point.

I don’t see it happening though so it doesn’t matter.

vCash
    Blog Entries

F*ck Chris Jones... Ship jumping mercenary *******...
    I don't think Brock is setting the world on fire by any means but Jones is NOT the answer. Egotistical clown.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    F*ck Chris Jones... Ship jumping mercenary *******...
    I don't think Brock is setting the world on fire by any means but Jones is NOT the answer. Egotistical clown.
    Normally I would agree with you, but the Esks are desperate right now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Normally I would agree with you, but the Esks are desperate right now.
    We don't know that. Some fans are though.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.