Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I do feel for the players because as much as I love the game, football is a brutal sport on the body and for most of them, they aren't getting paid a lot to beat the hell out of themselves. But at the same time, at some point you have to give if you are losing that much money year after year.

If you are the Canadian Government and the CFL comes for a handout, I get tradition, the league has been around for very long time, etc but how do you justifying giving the league 10's of millions when on a good year they lose 10-20 million.
    The Feds give the CBC $1 Billion every single year, and they've never turned a profit. Simple suggestion is that they just spread some of those Canadian entertainment content dollars around for one year. CFL survives and maybe the CBC weans itself off the government teet just a little. Win - Win.
    Last edited by TeqEEla; 05-22-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

I've heard a number of times on this site complaints about the funding of the CBC. Going off on this tangent briefly and in the interest of fairness, here's a graph of CBC government funding over the past three decades. The scaling of the axis exaggerates the decline, but the point is clear: the CBC has endured regular and substantial cuts to its budget for the last quarter century.

http://marketingmag.ca/media/watchdo...caster-107100/

This ends in 2014; I couldn't find more up-to-date numbers in the few minutes I had. Maybe someone can update it. But just to put aside a couple of myths: the CBC has regularly dealt with major cuts to its budget for decades. And this happens both when the Conservatives are in power, and when the Liberals are in power.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

I don’t want my comment to turn into a CBC good/bad thing (I really don’t care about the CBC). I guess what angers me is the duplicity of the whole thing. Feels like everyone on the hill is scoffing at the “preposterous” idea that they should give a one time cash injection to help the CFL survive a once in a lifetime crises (that was completely out of their control). Why is it that the CFLs brand of “Canadian entertainment” isn’t worth a single dime, while the CBC’s brand of “Canadian Entertainment” is worth a billion dollars per year.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    I don’t want my comment to turn into a CBC good/bad thing (I really don’t care about the CBC). I guess what angers me is the duplicity of the whole thing. Feels like everyone on the hill is scoffing at the “preposterous” idea that they should give a one time cash injection to help the CFL survive a once in a lifetime crises (that was completely out of their control). Why is it that the CFLs brand of “Canadian entertainment” isn’t worth a single dime, while the CBC’s brand of “Canadian Entertainment” is worth a billion dollars per year.
    The CFL ain’t telling me what’s going on in the world.....globally CBC is up there with BBC (news & radio) as a trusted & objective news source & that’s a pretty big deal. I guess it’s just what you value.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    The CFL ainít telling me whatís going on in the world.....globally CBC is up there with BBC (news & radio) as a trusted & objective news source & thatís a pretty big deal. I guess itís just what you value.
    I hear you Smartie. Even though there are times the CBC makes me question it's existence , I just cannot imagine having a private sector Canadian version of "Fox news" filling the void. I'm grateful for what we have, warts and all.

vCash

Even if the CBC were an unbiased, objective news source (they aren't) they are still unnecessary and redundant, as Canada has two other major networks who do news better than they do. And they are certainly more objective.

How can we justify state run news in a free and open democracy anyway?
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    The Feds give the CBC $1 Billion every single year, and they've never turned a profit. Simple suggestion is that they just spread some of those Canadian entertainment content dollars around for one year. CFL survives and maybe the CBC weans itself off the government teet just a little. Win - Win.
    Do you not know what CBC is? It's the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. It's a Canadian federal CROWN corporation. It's not a private business like the CFL, it's owned by the Canadian government to provide national TV and radio broadcasting to the entire country. So the CBC is a government agency, a government service that will continue to run no matter what they do. What government service EVER turns a profit? NEVER, they aren't designed too. I have no love for CBC but they are WAY, WAY, WAY different.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Rick LeLacheur has made the comment that playing in 2020 keeps the CFL relevant. I can't agree more. The CFL needs fans and gate revenues to keep sustainable. If the CFL cancels the season, many fans may not come back. My son (10 yrs old), for the first time is asking when the Eskimos play next? Can we go to the next home game? Can I get an EE jersey at the game? Previous years, I have to a certain degree had to persuade him to go to an Eskimos home game. I have told him that the season may not happen. He just other day asked when the Edmonton Stingers (basketball) home dates are.

I feel that the CFL has to make a real concerted effort to have a season this year. If not, we may lose some younger fans that are the future...

My 3 cents...

vCash
    Blog Entries

CFL gives the go ahead for all 9 clubs to reopen training facilities as long as local health authorities are ok with it...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/27/c...team-facility/
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

vCash

I honestly do not think that we will see sports played in front of fans until there is a vaccine. At least not in Canada. The Americans might do it. But I don't think we will.
    Currently Playing: Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4), Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4), NHL 20 (PS4), FIFA 20 (PS4), Disco Elysium (PC)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I honestly do not think that we will see sports played in front of fans until there is a vaccine. At least not in Canada. The Americans might do it. But I don't think we will.
    I agree. The Premier of BC has already said that while he welcomes the opportunity for Vancouver to be a hub city for pro sport play, he will not compromise or change the health strategies of the province to serve it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have 4.39 speed when a piece of bacon hits the floor

vCash

Yes 4.3 speed over 3 feet.

vCash

I disagree. An effective vaccine could be years away and some in the medical world have warned there may never be an effective vaccine. And no way Canada opens up the can of worms of forcing people to have the vaccine if they want to attend sporting events.

At some point, society will have to accept that COVID is here probably for a while and life must go on.

I do agree Canada as a country will be a lot slower to allow sporting events to return to normalcy though. My hope is when the Americans start doing it, there arenít any related outbreaks so Canadians will start putting pressure on governments to start opening up sporting events.

vCash

Don't worry ace I've got the cure right here...
    https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/scient...t-coronavirus/
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Rumors that a couple of the privately owned clubs would not want to go ahead with a shortened season...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/28/a...n-2020-report/
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Don't worry ace I've got the cure right here...
    https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/scient...t-coronavirus/
    I'm safe!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Rumors that a couple of the privately owned clubs would not want to go ahead with a shortened season...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/28/a...n-2020-report/
    If I'm an owner, I see this as an opportunity to totally rewrite how the league does business. Why lose money in a shortened season when there is the potential to release all the players, dissolve the CFLPA, and start from scratch. It's a huge gamble, but considering how much money some of these clubs lose on a regular basis (Toronto, Vancouver, Montrel), these discussions most definitely are taking place behind the scenes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm safe!

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm an owner, I see this as an opportunity to totally rewrite how the league does business. Why lose money in a shortened season when there is the potential to release all the players, dissolve the CFLPA, and start from scratch. It's a huge gamble, but considering how much money some of these clubs lose on a regular basis (Toronto, Vancouver, Montrel), these discussions most definitely are taking place behind the scenes.
    edit: I should add - I'm not saying all of this is the "right thing". I'm just saying that any business person would be foolish not to examine all options available to them regarding growth of the business. Blue sky, spit-balling usually produces results. It's the old "easier to tame down a wild idea than to spruce up a lame one.".

vCash