Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am not advocating to get rid of the ratio all together, just get it to a level that is sustainable. The fortunes of your team should not rest on if your Canadians remain healthy, yet that is the case. A team loses a single Canadian starter and their roster is completely turned upside down a lot of times. That shouldn't happen. If you go down the list of teams starting Canadians, there tends to be a steep drop off from starter to back up. There is a reason a guy is a starter and not a back up but the drop off shouldn't do too drastic. How many times have we seen an injury happen and then some Canadian has to go play safety and he has no clue what he is doing? He's trying his hardest but he's just not capable of doing the job.

How many times have we seen retired Canadians, happens lots on the Oline, be out the whole year, then get signed for depth and sometimes they even dress and play? As an example, happened with Rottier. He retired hadn't practiced or played a down, Riders signed him for the playoffs because they had injuries and not enough Canadians to cover and he actually dressed. That shouldn't happen.
    The other issue, tends to be roster familiarity as well. Maybe instead of just National vs. International, more could be done to allow longer term players to move a national position if playing more than 2 seasons with a specific team with that seniority moving if by trade. It would give the existing teams a little more negotiating power to keep their better players and build that roster familiarity that is missing with the current game.

I know they've recently started down this road, but I think there's more incentive to push it further if we want to be able to have the players part of a team marketing strategy. If the national ratio, and a modified international rule allowing more incentive for players to stay in one place allows for more roster continuity, then you can build an identity around your team and market it.
    Last edited by bone; 09-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Eliminating pre-season games essentially yields the same result DDS and I have been throwing out there schedule wise, so I could get behind it.
    Particularly in regard to the lineups the teams are playing the games with. Home team starts a couple of guys that will make the team and the rest no one has ever heard of.

At one time pre season was for getting in shape which is no longer the case and also probably evolved from the managers taking advantage of the players to play games for free.

If the number is twenty games make them all count. Zero pre season value for the fan imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    We use to see 40k plus for every home game. Now we are lucky to scrape up 30k. (( 'Course thats if there is ever another season. ( and with Randy as Commish I, sadly, have my doubts)).

Whats the huge difference? IMO its the fact every game is now on tv for the home city. If you wanted to see the Esks live you had to go to the game. Now you can say meh fook it I'll watch on tv. I've done this a couple times myself.

CFL is a gate driven league. We need people to go to the games. Having every home game for the teams is hurting that.

I had no issue going to the game and if it was a gooder watching it or pvring it when it was rebroadcast at Midnight.

Maybe that should return
    That is on the league and another short term take the tv money fix. TSN does a good job in providing an alternative and has advertisers that pay them to attract viewers. It's cheap and easy for the fan. CFL is playing both sides but favoring tv.

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    The other issue, tends to be roster familiarity as well. Maybe instead of just National vs. International, more could be done to allow longer term players to move a national position if playing more than 2 seasons with a specific team with that seniority moving if by trade. It would give the existing teams a little more negotiating power to keep their better players and build that roster familiarity that is missing with the current game.

I know they've recently started down this road, but I think there's more incentive to push it further if we want to be able to have the players part of a team marketing strategy. If the national ratio, and a modified international rule allowing more incentive for players to stay in one place allows for more roster continuity, then you can build an identity around your team and market it.
    Honor the contract they signed and they might get someone to commit for more than a season at a time. It only takes one team to do it and then the rest have to follow. Odd how the entire league has taken the current position on player contracts. Not saying collusion but...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well I for one think the Pre-Season games are super important for the guys trying to make the team... But that’s just me I guess.
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Well I for one think the Pre-Season games are super important for the guys trying to make the team... But that’s just me I guess.
    I'm guessing that anything that shows up in an exhibition game is going to show up in camp just the same. It's like the teams know what they have and don't want to get anyone important hurt in a pre season game. Quality of the opposition has to be factored as well when evaluating players. Seems most rosters are already set prior to camp by the contracts and bonuses paid.

Bombers have fielded complete lineups of players who never made the team in pre season. Might be different if game tickets were $10.

For the record: I don't watch hockey either.

Put some points up for grab and it would be taken more seriously. I would like to see all games count for points with a roster limit of 52 or so for the first two games then dropped to the 46.

I get your point regarding the player perspective. My opinion is that of a fan.

vCash

Not sure if you're aware that Boydo has appeared in a few pre-season games himself
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bombervu View Post
    Honor the contract they signed and they might get someone to commit for more than a season at a time. It only takes one team to do it and then the rest have to follow. Odd how the entire league has taken the current position on player contracts. Not saying collusion but...

100% agree. It certainly goes both ways and the owners and GMs are most responsible with the constant cuts and non-guaranteed contracts.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bombervu View Post
    I'm guessing that anything that shows up in an exhibition game is going to show up in camp just the same. It's like the teams know what they have and don't want to get anyone important hurt in a pre season game. Quality of the opposition has to be factored as well when evaluating players. Seems most rosters are already set prior to camp by the contracts and bonuses paid.

Bombers have fielded complete lineups of players who never made the team in pre season. Might be different if game tickets were $10.

For the record: I don't watch hockey either.

Put some points up for grab and it would be taken more seriously. I would like to see all games count for points with a roster limit of 52 or so for the first two games then dropped to the 46.

I get your point regarding the player perspective. My opinion is that of a fan.
    The biggest advantage for the PreSeason games is there's actual contact at full speed with an opposing team that (might be running a vanilla playbook) that is hungry for a job and hopefully know it's their last good kick at the can so they're going to put it on the line so to speak. I knew I was on the bubble going into the second game and made damn sure to get my route right and catch the ball that was thrown to me. Maybe a cheaper ticket price for the Pre Season games is something the League can look at going forward?
    Once an Eskimo, ALWAYS an Eskimo.

vCash

For me, I'd pick Huf.
    Hope, at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

For me, I'd pick Huf.
    Definitely Huff. Dickenson's teams sure seem to collapse in big moments...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Thought this was a pretty cool story that others might enjoy reading...https://www.cfl.ca/2020/09/22/family...e-grey-cup-11/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-general-...down-1.1539851

Ed Hervey stepping down from B.C. for personal reasons.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-general-...down-1.1539851

Ed Hervey stepping down from B.C. for personal reasons.
    Interesting. Well first off, let's all hope there is nothing from a health standpoint with himself or his family that is causing this. This will leave a big hole in the Lions front office, but they at least have some time to evaluate.
    Gonna miss Ed. He was very good for the league.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Interesting. Well first off, let's all hope there is nothing from a health standpoint with himself or his family that is causing this. This will leave a big hole in the Lions front office, but they at least have some time to evaluate.
    Gonna miss Ed. He was very good for the league.
    Hope he lands on his feet and all is good. Wouldn't be shocked to see him work the scouting scene in the NFL he has the chops and connections.

Once an Esk always an Esk still applies whether we have that current name or not, and regardless of whether he was fired or not.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

I hope it’s nothing serious family or health wise...
    strange to just step away...

Wish him well...

vCash

Hadn't heard anything about this but I agree with Naylor. The league can't win if they release the ideas because players have to go over them first but fans will criticize.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Hadn't heard anything about this but I agree with Naylor. The league can't win if they release the ideas because players have to go over them first but fans will criticize.
    Agree. I think you have to look at all options - and unfortunately most of them will involve less money for players, so you need to present it properly.

vCash

One of the CFL's biggest fans has passed away.

He kept teams and the league afloat for so long.

Sad day in CFL land.

vCash

David Braley saved the league on several occasions. He will be missed. Rest peacefully, sir.