Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Good Rod Black call there T-Bone!

vCash

Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever seen T-BONE and Rod Black in the same room together at the same time.
    Curious.

...Or is it?
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    “Welcome Canada and our friends south of the border to the 2021 CFL championship game: the Grey Cup, live from Steeltown, the Hammer, Hamilton Ontario where the Green and Gold battle the Black and Gold for the right to hoist the Grey.“

You complete me...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever seen T-BONE and Rod Black in the same room together at the same time.
    Curious.

...Or is it?
    I assure you I’m a completely different person.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a lunch date with Luke Tasker. He’s the son of former Buffalo Bills great Steve Tasker.

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I assure you I’m a completely different person.
    Now, that's convenient - it's the exact kind of thing we'd expect Rod to say.....
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Do they have enough content to carry a weekly show?

vCash

From 3DownNation.com

Argos violated $5.25 million CFL salary cap in 2019

excerpt from full story linked here:
    https://3downnation.com/2020/06/10/a...y-cap-in-2019/

Normally the league announces the fine in April of the following year, however Randy Ambrosie decided there won’t be any discipline due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although opposing teams were upset with the decision, Ambrosie wants to ensure the competitive balance of the league remains intact.

Statement from the league office:

The league made the decision not to impose penalties to any team that may be over the salary cap in light of the pandemic and the financial crisis it has created for clubs.

Sorry, I hate to say it, but not imposing the regular penalties for this makes the league look bush league.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

From 3DownNation.com

Argos violated $5.25 million CFL salary cap in 2019

excerpt from full story linked here:
    https://3downnation.com/2020/06/10/a...y-cap-in-2019/

Normally the league announces the fine in April of the following year, however Randy Ambrosie decided there won’t be any discipline due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although opposing teams were upset with the decision, Ambrosie wants to ensure the competitive balance of the league remains intact.

Statement from the league office:

The league made the decision not to impose penalties to any team that may be over the salary cap in light of the pandemic and the financial crisis it has created for clubs.

Sorry, I hate to say it, but not imposing the regular penalties for this makes the league look bush league.
    It does but we are also unlike any other major sport in our financial stability. The other major sports can afford to lose a team or two, the CFL cannot.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

I think my attitude on the Argos going over would be different had they been better and done some damage in the playoffs. But with how bad they were, and the pandemic fueled financial crisis I’m ok with no extra fines being levied.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I think my attitude on the Argos going over would be different had they been better and done some damage in the playoffs. But with how bad they were, and the pandemic fueled financial crisis I’m ok with no extra fines being levied.
    Agreed. Until it comes out that "The league made the decision not to impose penalties to any team that may be over the salary cap in light of the pandemic and the financial crisis it has created for clubs" is CFL speak for Saskatchewan was also over the limit. Though I actually doubt they were.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Apparent disconnect between CFL and CFLPA not very encouraging...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/11/c...andy-ambrosie/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Apparent disconnect between CFL and CFLPA not very encouraging...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/11/c...andy-ambrosie/
    I think now more than ever it's important that all communication is shared and nobody is out of the loop. Having said that, I'm still a firm believer that if there is no season this year, the best thing financially for the league could be to dissolve the CFLPA (and the current CFL) and reform next year with a viable financial plan. It would suck for the players, and I'm certain that it would sour many of them on returning, but a reformed league (with better cost controls) is better than no league. Invariably, it would lead to a reduced level of talent (especially if they deep cut the SMS), but if there ever was a time to clear the table and start from scratch, this may be it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I think now more than ever it's important that all communication is shared and nobody is out of the loop. Having said that, I'm still a firm believer that if there is no season this year, the best thing financially for the league could be to dissolve the CFLPA (and the current CFL) and reform next year with a viable financial plan. It would suck for the players, and I'm certain that it would sour many of them on returning, but a reformed league (with better cost controls) is better than no league. Invariably, it would lead to a reduced level of talent (especially if they deep cut the SMS), but if there ever was a time to clear the table and start from scratch, this may be it.
    Maybe that's what is being discussed behind closed doors and as you say it does make sense if the clubs out there are really losing as much as they say they are. I know the marquee players drive a lot of the fan interest but it makes the most sense to me for them to start cutting there. The CFL can't afford to pay guys like Mike Reilly as much as they are. Something like $400 K a year should be the top end for the CFL salary wise given their financial circumstances with it being a gate driven league.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

DP
    Last edited by adb; 06-13-2020 at 09:52 AM.

vCash

vCash

vCash

That's ****ing stupid.

So you have HC, OC, DC, ST at the top. Usually. One of those will be an asst HC as well.

Then you have 5 coaches left for how many position groups? QB, RB, REC, OL, DL, LB, DB, asst ST/K/P. Plus video/quality control, strength/conditioning. The odd guy can double-dip - maybe LB/DB or RB/asst ST - but that still doesn't cover everything.

Arizona has 24 coaches listed. The Packers have 27. We don't need that many, but you're telling me that you're going to put out a good product on one-third of what some NFL teams have?

Most NCAA staffs I've looked at have 11 coaches, plus all the graduate assistants and school strength coaches and all that. The U of A have 19 (mostly volunteer, I'm sure) coaches, with 12 different "titles" (multiple OL coaches etc.). U of Calgary has 24.

9 coaches isn't enough. They'll have to relax this and make things open for volunteer coaches or interns or something else. And that looks REALLY professional, doesn't it?
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

I suspect this is the first step. Hit the CFLPA with news that coaches numbers (and salaries) are going down. Show that everybody will have to sacrifice. Now, you ask the players to do their part...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Dang even our Atom/Bantam teams have 6 coaches...how the hell do they expect the CFL to only be able to have 9?
    One thing I'm wondering...and sorry if it's been mentioned before, but are they saying the League as a whole loses 10-20 mil per year or each team?
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

dislike hugely

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    dislike hugely
    Seems like the league is going in the wrong direction. NOT GOOD.

vCash

Looks like the CFLPA has sent out a survey to all their members asking the players how they feel about different scenarios involving a return to play.

vCash

The Canadian Football League Players’ Association distributed the following memo to its membership on Tuesday afternoon.

To all CFLPA members,

From the outset of the Covid-19 we have been trying to engage the CFL in the implications of this pandemic on a football season and the effect it is having on our members.
    To say it has been an uphill battle would be an understatement. To date, the league has not collaborated with your players’ association even after being chastised publicly, by the Federal government for excluding the players. We continue to persevere, despite the league’s arrogance, in working towards a safe, shortened season for you.

After the CFL chose to not allow players to self terminate their contracts if they elected, the league has now opted to not honour payments owed, outside of base salaries, as per these contracts. The CFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of all members affected as the CFL cannot, to their liking, pick and choose what to honour.

Next Steps:

We continue to wait on the CFL. We are awaiting a “guiding principles” statement as well as its implications from the CFL. In anticipation, we will be asking you a number of questions over the upcoming days/weeks to best gauge your interests.

We are also preparing to return to collective bargaining negotiations (commonly called CBA negotiations) with the CFL soon. Early on in this pandemic, we identified modifications that could be made to the current collective agreement that would help make way to allow for game play in 2020. At the time, the CFL was unwilling to discuss any changes. We now anticipate an initial proposal, from them, in the coming days. While we intend to complete our due diligence, we have not yet received the proposal, but we expect the CFL will ask us to revisit such things as the length of the agreement and other significant items such as salary structure. At the very least, we expect these negotiations to result in a modified collective agreement for 2020 – a process we had originally tabled in March.

We continue to meet regularly as your elected Executive and Player Representatives while doing everything we can to provide timely and relevant communication to all members.

Your CFLPA

vCash
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a lot of frustration within both the management and player ranks especially with the lack of leadership at the commissioner and president level. One wonders if someone like Mark Cohon wold have handled the current crisis in a better manner. https://3downnation.com/2020/06/16/c...andy-ambrosie/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Sounds like a lot of frustration within both the management and player ranks especially with the lack of leadership at the commissioner and president level. One wonders if someone like Mark Cohon wold have handled the current crisis in a better manner. https://3downnation.com/2020/06/16/c...andy-ambrosie/
    I'm not sure that ANYONE could have dealt with this situation differently. How is the league supposed to make proposals when they have no clue if they'll be playing a part season or no season at all. The CFL is a unique league that doesn't have the funding that the other major sports have. Those leagues can look at playing shortened seasons with no fans and be perfectly fine, the CFL doesn't have that option, at least I don't think they do.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm not sure that ANYONE could have dealt with this situation differently. How is the league supposed to make proposals when they have no clue if they'll be playing a part season or no season at all. The CFL is a unique league that doesn't have the funding that the other major sports have. Those leagues can look at playing shortened seasons with no fans and be perfectly fine, the CFL doesn't have that option, at least I don't think they do.
    I'm betting the league already knows they aren't playing this year. While they are "uncertain", they will see what they can get out of the player's union moving forward. If they can get a whole restructure on the contract, then they plan for 2021. If they can't, they probably look at folding the league and restarting a new CFL next season with all the SMS policies they want. Not sure what the economics on all that would mean, but I suspect that Randy Ambrosie is more business man than he is football fan, despite having played the game.

All this may seem far-fetched, but I really believe that the league, and in particular the privately owned clubs feel that if there was ever an opportunity to have a do-over, now is the time.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Good article on the TSN website written by Naylor on the subject...I am starting to be less optimistic that we will have a 2020 season...https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-time-for-cla...plan-1.1486862

vCash

... it has begun

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 06-18-2020 at 11:54 AM.

vCash

Quote from Farhan Lalji today:

"I can tell you right now that there are some high profile players in the league that have already made the decision to move on & pursue other opportunities. At least for this season. Just so much uncertainty lies ahead."

Probably the smart move right now.