Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Quote from Farhan Lalji today:

"I can tell you right now that there are some high profile players in the league that have already made the decision to move on & pursue other opportunities. At least for this season. Just so much uncertainty lies ahead."

Probably the smart move right now.
    Yeah he made the same point in the latest 3 Downs segment on the TSN website...https://www.tsn.ca/3-downs-how-conve...yers-1.1487393
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Thought this was a well written piece by Ed Hervey on the racial tensions currently being experienced...https://www.cfl.ca/2020/06/18/ed-hervey-fatigue-racism/

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Thought this was a well written piece by Ed Hervey on the racial tensions currently being experienced...https://www.cfl.ca/2020/06/18/ed-hervey-fatigue-racism/
    good read - thanks for linking.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Holy crap...I cannot believe Terry Jones got away with writing something like that.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Holy crap...I cannot believe Terry Jones got away with writing something like that.
    Unbelievably bad. I never read Jones's columns because I have no use for him and did not realize the extent to which he was off the charts.
    Thank you adb for bringing this forward.

vCash

I think it's safe to assume that none of the stars are gonna be making 500k, 600k, 700k next year
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

I can’t be the only one who believes that IF we ever see another CFL game, it won’t be until 2021.

Wth no gate revenue, there is no chance of a season this year.

I don’t think it’s fair to the players they they not get paid (I assume they aren’t) but have to keep themselves in game shape and forego other employment opportunities while they sit around and wait.

There is no good outcome for this (short of the virus just disappearing off the face of the earth) but I think it’s time for the CFL to pull the plug on 2020.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    I can’t be the only one who believes that IF we ever see another CFL game, it won’t be until 2021.

Wth no gate revenue, there is no chance of a season this year.

I don’t think it’s fair to the players they they not get paid (I assume they aren’t) but have to keep themselves in game shape and forego other employment opportunities while they sit around and wait.

There is no good outcome for this (short of the virus just disappearing off the face of the earth) but I think it’s time for the CFL to pull the plug on 2020.
    I definitely agree. I am also getting a bit worried about our commissioner. I really had high hopes for Ambrosie but it hasn't been great and he has done a terrible job since Covid hit, IMO.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I definitely agree. I am also getting a bit worried about our commissioner. I really had high hopes for Ambrosie but it hasn't been great and he has done a terrible job since Covid hit, IMO.
    Just curious what you would have liked to see the Commish do differently for Covid? I am not pro or con for him and honestly, I don't know the answer myself. This league is SO dependent on gate revenue. Taking away Covid for a second, a team has a bad year on the field, fans don't want to go to watch brutal football, it really hurts the team and the league. The economy hasn't been strong in Canada for several years, in Alberta it's been bad for quite a few years now. The Esks and Stamps are probably better off than some teams like the Argos but the economy has to have hurt their sales and ultimately the league.

So I don't know what the Commish could have done better if you can't have fans in the stands.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Ambrosie had no real choice but to go ask the government for money. The fact that both Ford and Trudeau, to date, have said no isn't RA's fault, IMO. And make no mistake. No bailout = no more CFL.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Ambrosie had no real choice but to go ask the government for money. The fact that both Ford and Trudeau, to date, have said no isn't RA's fault, IMO. And make no mistake. No bailout = no more CFL.
    Well... not this incarnation of it anyway.

Time to cancel the season, wipe the board clean and start from scratch. When Ambrosie coined the phrase CFL 2.0, little did we know that it could probably mean a whole new league, new CBA, new financial guidelines. The challenge will certainly be getting people to buy into the new structure, but hey, it's not like we were winning the war in markets like Toronto & BC with what we currently have anyway. Hopefully they can hit up the governments for some feeder money next year.

Our league will be smaller (in a number of ways), but it will continue.

If the league does have 9 teams next year, I like the idea of a shortened 16-game balanced schedule.

vCash

Well... not this incarnation of it anyway.

Time to cancel the season, wipe the board clean and start from scratch. When Ambrosie coined the phrase CFL 2.0, little did we know that it could probably mean a whole new league, new CBA, new financial guidelines. The challenge will certainly be getting people to buy into the new structure, but hey, it's not like we were winning the war in markets like Toronto & BC with what we currently have anyway. Hopefully they can hit up the governments for some feeder money next year.

Our league will be smaller (in a number of ways), but it will continue.

If the league does have 9 teams next year, I like the idea of a shortened 16-game balanced schedule.
    You make good points. The league hasn't really been able to grow under the current bizarro BoG structure.

Start thinking of a new team name for us.

vCash

I know Randy and am surprised he and Brian Ramsey both weren't at the table with the government. Players and League should be partners in any ongoing discussions.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I get why they haven't cancelled yet, you want to hold out hope to salvage something for revenue but at the same time, I do wonder if it would even be worth it. If the CFL finds a way to play games and they allow some fans to attend, I don't see how unless there is a vaccine how you can play games without severe restrictions on how many people can attend. So if that is the case, I do wonder is it worth it to play at all? If you play games, then you have to full staff your team which includes players, coaches, trainers, etc. So the team is having to pay all those wages. So I do wonder if they would end up losing more money to play in front of a sparse crowd given they are a gate driven league. You'd lose the TV money I assume with no games at all but I wonder would the losses be less with no season at call because you aren't playing players, etc?

I also wonder with this either cancellation or severe change to how the league operates this season game wise, will we see some big changes to the league as a whole. I get why they push to have a team in Toronto. It's the biggest City in the country, the biggest TV market in the country and home to pretty much all I think of the broadcasting companies in the country including the 2 sports stations. So I understand why they really think they need a market in Toronto. To not have a team in your biggest media market and most populated City would be pretty tough. It still boggles my mind how a City that big doesn't have the ability to put 25000 people in the seats on a consistent basis.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

When you look at how many players in the NHL, NFL and NCAA are testing positive how can we expect any different of the CFL teams?
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    When you look at how many players in the NHL, NFL and NCAA are testing positive how can we expect any different of the CFL teams?
    Exactly. What's an NHL team? 23 man roster plus 3 or 4 extra normally. I think they were going to let teams get up to 30. Hockey is a physical game but not compared to football. What's a CFL team? 46 man playing roster. Plus you have to have guys on the non playing roster plus practice roster guys. So you are pushing normally 60, 70 guys? That's probably just listed guys. That isn't the cut under the table guy you keep around the City because you need to have guys in quickly due to the physical nature of the sport.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Exactly. What's an NHL team? 23 man roster plus 3 or 4 extra normally. I think they were going to let teams get up to 30. Hockey is a physical game but not compared to football. What's a CFL team? 46 man playing roster. Plus you have to have guys on the non playing roster plus practice roster guys. So you are pushing normally 60, 70 guys? That's probably just listed guys. That isn't the cut under the table guy you keep around the City because you need to have guys in quickly due to the physical nature of the sport.
    Thinking to some of the pre-season games I've seen, they can be upwards of 80+ people out there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Dang even our Atom/Bantam teams have 6 coaches...how the hell do they expect the CFL to only be able to have 9?
    One thing I'm wondering...and sorry if it's been mentioned before, but are they saying the League as a whole loses 10-20 mil per year or each team?
    And how many of those coaches draw a salary from their minor football organizations. Funny thing is if you go back only 15 years a CFL coaching staff of 9 was a bloated staff. Everybody operated with no more than 6 or 7. Go back into the 90s and 5 was more the norm. In the past dozen years staffs ballooned to double the size they were circa 2005.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I think my attitude on the Argos going over would be different had they been better and done some damage in the playoffs. But with how bad they were, and the pandemic fueled financial crisis I’m ok with no extra fines being levied.
    Personally I'm OK with this if it's looked at as an exceptional circumstance due to the unprecedented circumstances of Covid. I'd be saying that this year regardless of which team might be in violation. All teams are going to be losing multi-millions this year. Adding fines on top of that seems to be a case of Unnecessary Roughness - Piling On.

Having said that it would be nice to know what the actual numbers are. Is it over $100K and if so is only the financial penalty being waived with the loss of draft picks still being imposed? Or are we talking something like $50K over? I wonder if waiving fines is also being done so as to not send mixed messages related to government assistance. It's hard for the CFL to make a case for itself that teams are in such financial doo-doo that they need help when they are simultaneously imposing big fines on those same teams with the expectation that they will be paid. Not that it matters much but I believe the Argos are a first-time offender.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

We'll probably be seeing a lot more of these over the next little while.

vCash

We all know that the CFL isn't going to play this year. Assuming that the feds don't give the CFL a bailout and the league folds, what happens next for pro 3 down football is what I want to know.

vCash

We all know that the CFL isn't going to play this year. Assuming that the feds don't give the CFL a bailout and the league folds, what happens next for pro 3 down football is what I want to know.
    I don't see Braley or Bob "Caretaker" Young allowing this to happen. Young with a net worth I believe of about 3.8 billion dollars has been a CFL fan his whole life and his Nickname is because of his feelings about owning his home town Tiger Cats. I may be misquoting but it went something like " I am not an owner of this team but a Caretaker of its traditions etc."
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Not to be an alarmist but I suspect pro 3 down football would become extinct with the same happening to grassroots, CJFL and CIS football shortly after. It will be too easy for a pro replacement to come in the form of 4 down football.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    I don't see Braley or Bob "Caretaker" Young allowing this to happen. Young with a net worth I believe of about 3.8 billion dollars has been a CFL fan his whole life and his Nickname is because of his feelings about owning his home town Tiger Cats. I may be misquoting but it went something like " I am not an owner of this team but a Caretaker of its traditions etc."
    That's great those 2 have so much passion. David Braley is almost 80 yr old. I am a CFL fan and would be very sad if it disappeared but I always find it a bit weird how everyone who is not super rich, just think losing money all the time is perfectly fine. "Oh he's got a net worth of ______, he can afford to lose money". I am sure those guys can afford to lose money and probably don't toss and turn at night worrying about losing a few million on your CFL team when you have billions. But I have a hard time believing that ANYONE super rich or not is cool with losing money forever on something. If all you do is lose money again and again, at some point things need to change.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Not to be an alarmist but I suspect pro 3 down football would become extinct with the same happening to grassroots, CJFL and CIS football shortly after. It will be too easy for a pro replacement to come in the form of 4 down football.
    Stories like these are sure to put just about anyone in a very pessimistic mood. Maybe the scenario ends up being the case where each team declares bankruptcy and they start up a new Canadian league with new teams. Guess that's one way for us to get rid of our controversial team name here in Edmonton...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/24/r...d-19-pandemic/
    Last edited by adb; 06-25-2020 at 08:25 AM.

vCash

Any CFL team with a new stadium - Riders, Winnipeg, Hamilton - will probably be hurt the most because they would have mortgage payments to make. Teams like Edmonton would lose a little because you would be paying some office staff, football ops staff and maybe some coaches but I don't think they would lose that much if you aren't having to pay players salaries.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Any CFL team with a new stadium - Riders, Winnipeg, Hamilton - will probably be hurt the most because they would have mortgage payments to make. Teams like Edmonton would lose a little because you would be paying some office staff, football ops staff and maybe some coaches but I don't think they would lose that much if you aren't having to pay players salaries.
    Didnt all of the teams already pay substantial off season bonus money to a number of their players. Wonder how much that would be of the projected $10 million dollar loss the riders are predicting.

vCash

Stories like these are sure to put just about anyone in a very pessimistic mood. Maybe the scenario ends up being the case where each team declares bankruptcy and they start up a new Canadian league with new teams. Guess that's one way for us to get rid of our controversial team name here in Edmonton...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/24/r...d-19-pandemic/
    Question is what would a new Canadian league look like? It certainly couldn't start out on the same economic footing as the CFL. Would it be little more than a 3 down football version of the CPL soccer league who had a league wide average attendance of 4266 last season?

vCash

Didnt all of the teams already pay substantial off season bonus money to a number of their players. Wonder how much that would be of the projected $10 million dollar loss the riders are predicting.
    maybe they can have a bake sale to recoup their money
    In Rod we trust