Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    maybe they can have a bake sale to recoup their money
    Telethon!!!!! Ring those phones. Ring those phones. Ring those phones.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Question is what would a new Canadian league look like? It certainly couldn't start out on the same economic footing as the CFL. Would it be little more than a 3 down football version of the CPL soccer league who had a league wide average attendance of 4266 last season?
    It's possible. Any variation of the league will need gate revenues to pay most of the bills, so I think you'd ideally want to average at least 20k in a new structure that could include things like profit sharing (the league averaged 22,917 last season) A restructured SMS should probably include a per player cap. Perhaps one player gets between 200 and 400k and everyone else is under 200k. The balancing act will be between lowering what some of the higher ended guys are getting paid and not seeing a dramatic drop in the quality of the on-field product. You don't want all of your star talent to balk and walk, but maybe a Mike Reilly and a Bo Mitchell need to step away from the game to allow this to happen. I'd still watch the CFL if the top 10 players in the league weren't there. New heroes are waiting for their chance.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Telethon!!!!! Ring those phones. Ring those phones. Ring those phones.
    Rod Black could host!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Good article on the TSN website written by Naylor on the subject...I am starting to be less optimistic that we will have a 2020 season...https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-time-for-cla...plan-1.1486862
    David Braley's take on a possible 2020 season and the future of the CFL...https://3downnation.com/2020/06/25/l...home-stadiums/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Rod Black could host!
    you sir have come up with the plan to save football....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

A reconstituted CFL with a Commissioner with actual powers and 10 teams would not be the worst outcome to all of this.

vCash

you sir have come up with the plan to save football....
    If it meant saving the CFL, I would change my sons name to Rod Black.

Or would I?

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    If it meant saving the CFL, I would change my sons name to Rod Black.

Or would I?
    I think we should rename everything to Rod Black
    Grey cup nope RB cup
    every team just a different version of his name my God that will put asses in the seats

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    only in the CFL...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think we should rename everything to Rod Black
    Grey cup nope RB cup
    every team just a different version of his name my God that will put asses in the seats
    The Rod Black Red Blacks?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

That is Gold glenvb! GOLD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Just curious what you would have liked to see the Commish do differently for Covid? I am not pro or con for him and honestly, I don't know the answer myself. This league is SO dependent on gate revenue. Taking away Covid for a second, a team has a bad year on the field, fans don't want to go to watch brutal football, it really hurts the team and the league. The economy hasn't been strong in Canada for several years, in Alberta it's been bad for quite a few years now. The Esks and Stamps are probably better off than some teams like the Argos but the economy has to have hurt their sales and ultimately the league.

So I don't know what the Commish could have done better if you can't have fans in the stands.
    Excellent post !! CFL doesn't have deep pockets and neither do any of the owners.

vCash

Interesting conversation on the Nielsen show about the CFL partnering with the NFL to be a little bit of a development league. They talked about not changing the game but just having a few spots on the team designated for an NFL team to give the CFL team a few players to play in to get better.

I have to say, I don't hate the idea. Is the CFL not kind of that anyway? Any young players coming from the States are typically undrafted guys who don't sign long term CFL deals in the hopes they can get some experience and get an NFL look. So if you could get an NFL team to send you a few guys vs having to try to convince someone to do the same thing, what's the difference? There are some undrafted guys who could be in the CFL but choose to just sit at home and train and not to play in the CFL for fears of getting injured. So if an NFL team directed these guys or sent some late round picks to a CFL, it could improve the product. Plus if you are a fan of a particular NFL team and the Esks have a few players from your team on their roster, could it make a person check out a few more CFL games? Maybe.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-30-2020 at 10:04 AM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

If the CFL is going to fold without play, as Braley has said, then I'm open to a lot of options. Including a 4 down league.

vCash

Interesting conversation on the Nielsen show about the CFL partnering with the NFL to be a little bit of a development league. They talked about not changing the game but just having a few spots on the team designated for an NFL team to give the CFL team a few players to play in to get better.

I have to say, I don't hate the idea. Is the CFL not kind of that anyway? Any young players coming from the States are typically undrafted guys who don't sign long term CFL deals in the hopes they can get some experience and get an NFL look. So if you could get an NFL team to send you a few guys vs having to try to convince someone to do the same thing, what's the difference? There are some undrafted guys who could be in the CFL but choose to just sit at home and train and not to play in the CFL for fears of getting injured. So if an NFL team directed these guys or sent some late round picks to a CFL, it could improve the product. Plus if you are a fan of a particular NFL team and the Esks have a few players from your team on their roster, could it make a person check out a few more CFL games? Maybe.
    If this is something that can help keep our league afloat, I would support this wholeheartedly. And I agree, this could draw more eyes from down south to watch as there me be more specific interests involved with a deal like this.

vCash

I like the idea. Formalize the relationship and let the player play some games. It probably increases the talent level overall in the CFL.

The only challenge I'd see is that we only have 9 or 10 teams vs. the 32 NFL teams so the agreements would be player based instead of affiliations to organizations, so we don't have another example to draw from looking at other developmental leagues.

Ultimately, the current system is terrible for player development. If you aren't quite good enough to dress in the NFL, but good enough for a contract, you sit on the sidelines all season and miss valuable development time. An agreement with the CFL could allow them to send a player down who they know is a long shot to dress, he collects his signing money, but gets to play some actual games and the CFL picks up a "minor league" portion of his contract. Sounds like a win-win scenario to me. The only negative is if injuries mount up on the NFL team, or the player starts to excel early, the player gets recalled by the NFL likely right around playoff time when you consider the timing of both league's schedules.

But overall, that's still better for the league than the current state. Perhaps it also helps the CFL financially and gets more viewers in the US interested in watching players that could be joining their team. More US viewers, means more television money to help the league.

At this point, if it is a matter of this saving the league or the league folding, I'd even consider 4 downs and field changes, but I'd hold on to those items as long as possible in the negotiation.
    Last edited by bone; 06-30-2020 at 11:17 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I like the idea. Formalize the relationship and let the player play some games. It probably increases the talent level overall in the CFL.

The only challenge I'd see is that we only have 9 or 10 teams vs. the 32 NFL teams so the agreements would be player based instead of affiliations to organizations, so we don't have another example to draw from looking at other developmental leagues.

Ultimately, the current system is terrible for player development. If you aren't quite good enough to dress in the NFL, but good enough for a contract, you sit on the sidelines all season and miss valuable development time. An agreement with the CFL could allow them to send a player down who they know is a long shot to dress, he collects his signing money, but gets to play some actual games and the CFL picks up a "minor league" portion of his contract. Sounds like a win-win scenario to me. The only negative is if injuries mount up on the NFL team, or the player starts to excel early, the player gets recalled by the NFL likely right around playoff time when you consider the timing of both league's schedules.

But overall, that's still better for the league than the current state. Perhaps it also helps the CFL financially and gets more viewers in the US interested in watching players that could be joining their team. More US viewers, means more television money to help the league.

At this point, if it is a matter of this saving the league or the league folding, I'd even consider 4 downs and field changes, but I'd hold on to those items as long as possible in the negotiation.
    The lack of CFL teams compared to NFL team is definitely a problem. Perhaps you could raise the amount of players to 6 or 8 and have 3 or 4 NHL teams affiliated per CFL team. So rather than sending down 4 guys, each team is only sending 2 making it more manageable. I do think the CFL needs to do something to change it up and the NFL is and always will be the big dog so might as well try to get attached to them. I don't know if I completely believe that if the CFL doesn't play this season, that it will just fold up immediately but at the same time, when you are gate driven league, not playing or even playing a way less amount of games has to hurt big time. There were teams already like Toronto and Montreal and BC at the very least who weren't doing that well last year, this has to hurt them the most.

I have been starting to wonder how long the CFL could keep going like they are going even before covid hit. Attendance was down for most teams and I think even for the mighty Riders. Toronto has drawn squat for a very long time. I understand why it's important to have a team there. It's the largest City in the country and that is where ALL the media companies headquarters are located. But how long can you seriously operate a team that draws squat? They leave the Sky Dome and go to the soccer stadium to be in a smaller, more intimate, outside stadium and still draw squat. Now if they were better would it help? Perhaps but even when the Argos where decent, they did win a cup not long ago, they haven't had big crowds. So I doubt a better team means they are selling out the soccer stadium that a City has big as Toronto should be able to do easily. They have over 6 mill people and they can't get 25,000. That's a problem that a better team won't solve. Montreal is in trouble and had to be bought by the league. I don't think they have a new owner yet. BC has been steadily declining. They have over 2.5 mill, have a nice, renovated stadium and can't get 25,000. That's a problem. Their owner who has been an extremely devoted CFL owner, at one time owning 2 teams is 79. He's coming to the end of his life soon. When he dies, who's seriously lining up to buy a team that no one goes to watch and probably loses money?

At some point, you have to change if things aren't working well. If you think about it, what has the CFL done to change much? Crowds have been going down for years, sure they tweak a rule here or there but have they changed much? No. They brought on Ottawa twice. Great. Whatelse?
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

The lack of CFL teams compared to NFL team is definitely a problem. Perhaps you could raise the amount of players to 6 or 8 and have 3 or 4 NHL teams affiliated per CFL team. So rather than sending down 4 guys, each team is only sending 2 making it more manageable. I do think the CFL needs to do something to change it up and the NFL is and always will be the big dog so might as well try to get attached to them. I don't know if I completely believe that if the CFL doesn't play this season, that it will just fold up immediately but at the same time, when you are gate driven league, not playing or even playing a way less amount of games has to hurt big time. There were teams already like Toronto and Montreal and BC at the very least who weren't doing that well last year, this has to hurt them the most.

I have been starting to wonder how long the CFL could keep going like they are going even before covid hit. Attendance was down for most teams and I think even for the mighty Riders. Toronto has drawn squat for a very long time. I understand why it's important to have a team there. It's the largest City in the country and that is where ALL the media companies headquarters are located. But how long can you seriously operate a team that draws squat? They leave the Sky Dome and go to the soccer stadium to be in a smaller, more intimate, outside stadium and still draw squat. Now if they were better would it help? Perhaps but even when the Argos where decent, they did win a cup not long ago, they haven't had big crowds. So I doubt a better team means they are selling out the soccer stadium that a City has big as Toronto should be able to do easily. They have over 6 mill people and they can't get 25,000. That's a problem that a better team won't solve. Montreal is in trouble and had to be bought by the league. I don't think they have a new owner yet. BC has been steadily declining. They have over 2.5 mill, have a nice, renovated stadium and can't get 25,000. That's a problem. Their owner who has been an extremely devoted CFL owner, at one time owning 2 teams is 79. He's coming to the end of his life soon. When he dies, who's seriously lining up to buy a team that no one goes to watch and probably loses money?

At some point, you have to change if things aren't working well. If you think about it, what has the CFL done to change much? Crowds have been going down for years, sure they tweak a rule here or there but have they changed much? No. They brought on Ottawa twice. Great. Whatelse?
    That's probably what would happen, but it's still a big challenge where football is all about set plays and routes that flying a guy in for a game or two doesn't help the team or player much. If it was a full blown affiliation, then coaching staffs would likely be speaking to each other to ensure their systems are similar to help with player movement, but that's not possible with unequal amounts of teams.

Perhaps it would get closer to what NHL teams are doing now with younger players where they sign them so that the player can collect their bonus money but they agree to allow the player to sign for a contract in one of the European leagues or KHL retaining the players signing rights for the NHL. With that arrangement, the player would get a full season in the CFL instead of being called up, disrupting team chemistry. They could even allow for recall provisions once the player has completed the entire CFL schedule as NFL would still have 5-8 weeks left in their schedule after the player is done in the CFL for the year.

I'd imagine the players would be quite receptive to an option like that.
    Last edited by bone; 06-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.

vCash

OOPS. I mean NFL not NHL . You can tell what is on my mind more these days.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    That's probably what would happen, but it's still a big challenge where football is all about set plays and routes that flying a guy in for a game or two doesn't help the team or player much. If it was a full blown affiliation, then coaching staffs would likely be speaking to each other to ensure their systems are similar to help with player movement, but that's not possible with unequal amounts of teams.

Perhaps it would get closer to what NHL teams are doing now with younger players where they sign them so that the player can collect their bonus money but they agree to allow the player to sign for a contract in one of the European leagues or KHL retaining the players signing rights for the NHL. With that arrangement, the player would get a full season in the CFL instead of being called up, disrupting team chemistry. They could even allow for recall provisions once the player has completed the entire CFL schedule as NFL would still have 5-8 weeks left in their schedule after the player is done in the CFL for the year.

I'd imagine the players would be quite receptive to an option like that.
    To work, I think they would have to have it so the player gets committed to a CFL team for the year or at least close to the whole season because you are right, you couldn't be having to have guys come in and out for a game or 2. It wouldn't work. For the NFL, the benefit is for these lower draft picks to go play pro ball. Learn what it's like to be in pro league vs in College. The CFL has a lot of really good players. Most of these guys were all in really good college programs. Lots have NFL experience. Some are probably good enough to play but are undersized for their position in the NFL. Sure the rules of the CFL and NFL are slightly different but not a enough to stunt these guys. A receiver coming down to the CFL and running routes against a 27 yr old vet DB is probably going to learn more about getting open vs going up against a 19 yr old DB in college.

vCash

Biggest question I'd have with that would be around conflicts between the developmental needs of the NFL club related to the positions their prospects play and the needs of the CFL teams who are trying to win games, make playoffs etc. That's without even considering ratio implications. For instance what if an NFL club wanted to send a young QB up for some development fully expecting the CFL team to get him some playing time at the expense of the veteran starter? QB is a fairly easy target for an example but be the same sort of effect for any number of positions where the CFL team might have to bench an all-star caliber talent to make way for the NFL assigned developmental player or at minimum be forced to juggle the lineup around to meet the NFL's desires. This could become detrimental to CFL players who themselves are trying to win a spot and CFL teams hoping to develop their own talent to hopefully be their stars for years to come. Keep in mind typically 16 out of the 20 non-QB Americans on a given game day roster are starters.

vCash

Have to say that this is an intriguing idea and if the CFL teams were to get some funds from the NFL teams, expansion may become more viable as the league will be less reliant on bums in the seats.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Farhan Lalji was just on 1260 with Dave Jamieson talking about CFL stuff. Farhan seemed to indicate that if they are going to go with one hub city that the Southern Ontario market would be the league's choice due to the number of facilities in the immediate area that could serve as training/practice facilities for each of the clubs. He also indicated that Edmonton doesn't appear to be of interest for a hub city, but that may change if the NHL moves on from considering them.

He also said he believes the monies that will ultimately be in the proposal to the government will most likely be an amount to cover all salaries for their shortened season (still debates on how they are going to pro-rate everything). TV Contract monies would cover overhead of hub city and allow the league to not be in a bigger hole next year when they hope things get back to normal.

Despite all the "rumours" he did say that nothing very concrete has been exchanged between league and CFLPA yet, that they are still hoping to present a full plan to the PA soon.

vCash

Biggest question I'd have with that would be around conflicts between the developmental needs of the NFL club related to the positions their prospects play and the needs of the CFL teams who are trying to win games, make playoffs etc. That's without even considering ratio implications. For instance what if an NFL club wanted to send a young QB up for some development fully expecting the CFL team to get him some playing time at the expense of the veteran starter? QB is a fairly easy target for an example but be the same sort of effect for any number of positions where the CFL team might have to bench an all-star caliber talent to make way for the NFL assigned developmental player or at minimum be forced to juggle the lineup around to meet the NFL's desires. This could become detrimental to CFL players who themselves are trying to win a spot and CFL teams hoping to develop their own talent to hopefully be their stars for years to come. Keep in mind typically 16 out of the 20 non-QB Americans on a given game day roster are starters.
    There would have to be an agreement in place where the NFL can't hamper a CFL teams ability to win. So in your scenario playing their 5th string QB over say Harris would hamper the CFL to win. The idea I suggested is a way to get some cash infused into the CFL. The NFL isn't just going to cut the CFL a cheque, they need to get something out of it. Except for the QB position, I would guess that anyone the NFL could potentially send down would at minimum be on par with most players in the CFL. So take a DB as an example who they drafted but think needs development time. Is that guy going to be worse that say Money Hunter? I seriously doubt it. Or a receiver they may have drafted late. Is he worse than the #2 or 3 receiver on most CFL teams? I doubt it.

So maybe you restrict the position of QB because it's a specialty position. Plus if an NFL team is developing a QB, I think that is the one position where the CFL and NFL games differ. The CFL has an extra player. That apparently is one of the biggest hurdles American QB's have is getting used to that extra guy when reading a defense. So to ask a guy to go to the CFL for a short time. Adjust to the extra guy, then yank him back up to the NFL and lose a guy, I can't see that helping him. Plus the system. Unless the CFL teams system is the same as the NFL, you'd be asking him to learn a system in the CFL, then move up and learn a new system in the NFL. It would be a nightmare. So other than the QB position, IMO there isn't a lot of difference between the leagues position wise.

The idea doesn't even talk about the ratio which I think is a problem in itself and I have said it a few times, a CFL team is only as good as it's weakest Canadian. So while I have no issue with the ratio being there, its way, way too high. There simply isn't enough good enough Canadians to meet the needs of a CFL team to have all those starters PLUS adequate back ups. We see time and time again the fortunes of a team can literally come down to if they lose a Canadian at a critical spot. If the injury bug hits, a team can be screwed because they do not have the ability to replace a Canadian because it takes WAY longer to develop a Canadian and there simply isn't this giant pool of qualified, out of work, readily available Canadian football players like there are American. That is why we see teams every year out of no where sign the 35 yr old Canadian whatever position guy who's been retired for the whole season to a contract late in the year for depth. The guy hasn't played a down of ball or even practiced in almost a year but he can walk onto a professional football team and in a matter of a couple of days be on the sidelines in pads and a jersey with the potential he will play. That to me is a problem with this CFL. If a pro team has to pull guys from retirement all because of his passport, then clearly there is a problem with the ratio being too high compared to supply. This isn't a question of one team sucking at development, all teams do this. Maybe every team doesn't do it every year but it happens to all teams. They aren't dragging 35 yr old Americans out of retirement, just Canadians.

vCash

There would have to be an agreement in place where the NFL can't hamper a CFL teams ability to win. So in your scenario playing their 5th string QB over say Harris would hamper the CFL to win. The idea I suggested is a way to get some cash infused into the CFL. The NFL isn't just going to cut the CFL a cheque, they need to get something out of it. Except for the QB position, I would guess that anyone the NFL could potentially send down would at minimum be on par with most players in the CFL. So take a DB as an example who they drafted but think needs development time. Is that guy going to be worse that say Money Hunter? I seriously doubt it. Or a receiver they may have drafted late. Is he worse than the #2 or 3 receiver on most CFL teams? I doubt it.

So maybe you restrict the position of QB because it's a specialty position. Plus if an NFL team is developing a QB, I think that is the one position where the CFL and NFL games differ. The CFL has an extra player. That apparently is one of the biggest hurdles American QB's have is getting used to that extra guy when reading a defense. So to ask a guy to go to the CFL for a short time. Adjust to the extra guy, then yank him back up to the NFL and lose a guy, I can't see that helping him. Plus the system. Unless the CFL teams system is the same as the NFL, you'd be asking him to learn a system in the CFL, then move up and learn a new system in the NFL. It would be a nightmare. So other than the QB position, IMO there isn't a lot of difference between the leagues position wise.

The idea doesn't even talk about the ratio which I think is a problem in itself and I have said it a few times, a CFL team is only as good as it's weakest Canadian. So while I have no issue with the ratio being there, its way, way too high. There simply isn't enough good enough Canadians to meet the needs of a CFL team to have all those starters PLUS adequate back ups. We see time and time again the fortunes of a team can literally come down to if they lose a Canadian at a critical spot. If the injury bug hits, a team can be screwed because they do not have the ability to replace a Canadian because it takes WAY longer to develop a Canadian and there simply isn't this giant pool of qualified, out of work, readily available Canadian football players like there are American. That is why we see teams every year out of no where sign the 35 yr old Canadian whatever position guy who's been retired for the whole season to a contract late in the year for depth. The guy hasn't played a down of ball or even practiced in almost a year but he can walk onto a professional football team and in a matter of a couple of days be on the sidelines in pads and a jersey with the potential he will play. That to me is a problem with this CFL. If a pro team has to pull guys from retirement all because of his passport, then clearly there is a problem with the ratio being too high compared to supply. This isn't a question of one team sucking at development, all teams do this. Maybe every team doesn't do it every year but it happens to all teams. They aren't dragging 35 yr old Americans out of retirement, just Canadians.
    One issue I can see arising and would have to be dealt with would be the NFL teams expectations on playing time for that player. If each team has a 6-8 players on it that the NFL is mandating play, that could be an issue. Not saying its a full stop on the idea, just something that would need to be discussed
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    One issue I can see arising and would have to be dealt with would be the NFL teams expectations on playing time for that player. If each team has a 6-8 players on it that the NFL is mandating play, that could be an issue. Not saying its a full stop on the idea, just something that would need to be discussed
    I am sure they would want their guys to play. My thinking is some of these guys would be replacing some of the random free agents that every CFL teams signs. Go down the list of the Esks as an example and there are lots of guys none of us have a clue who they are who were signed right out of NCAA and will end up starting. Take Diggs last season. He was in College until 2017, spent 2018 with Washington. Came to the Esks last season and pretty much started the whole season. He's only 24. If they had played this season and he had another good year, could I see him making the jump to the NFL? Yup. So what if instead of him just hanging out with Washington all 2018 probably not doing much, at least not playing. He came to the Esks in 2018, most likely played for the Esks, maybe stayed with them for 2019 like he did and make the jump in 2020. The CFL usually only gets these college guys if they are any good for a couple of seasons max anyway. The CFL team gets access to really good college free agents they normally wouldn't have because they opt to either not play at all hoping an NFL team comes calling or hang around an NFL team not getting a sniff. The player gets valuable practice but also game time to help him develop.

vCash

That was more or less where I was coming from. With ratio being what it is currently that means if the NFL mandated they play they are effectively mandating at least half of those 6-8 players start. Typically a CFL team starts 16 Americans with the other 4 (DIs) being a mix of return specialists (who may or may not take occasional reps on offense or defense), maybe a kicker or punter and 2 or 3 backups or rotational players.

vCash

That was more or less where I was coming from. With ratio being what it is currently that means if the NFL mandated they play they are effectively mandating at least half of those 6-8 players start. Typically a CFL team starts 16 Americans with the other 4 (DIs) being a mix of return specialists (who may or may not take occasional reps on offense or defense), maybe a kicker or punter and 2 or 3 backups or rotational players.
    I think the CFL would and should look at that ratio real hard. They need to decide what they want to be. Do they want to be a professional league that puts forth the best possible product they can or be a professional league that tries to put forth as good a product as they can while worrying about keeping spots open for Canadians.

When I go to a game or watch it on TV, maybe some of you are the opposite but where a person was born doesn't cross my mind even for a second. I watch because I like football and want to see the best football I can in my backyard. I don't care where the guy is from, if he a good football player or not is all I care about. Hoover as an example is a way better football player than I ever was or ever could have dreamed to be. But there is no way he was one of the 5 best DB's on the team last year when he started. If in an open competition, he flat out beat out other guys for the job, then I would have no issue with him playing. He started because he was Canadian. That's the truth. He was the best Canadian they had that could play that position but if the ratio wasn't required, there is no way he would have started in the secondary. So I have a problem with that. IMO a player shouldn't be given a starting job based on his birth certificate, it should be because he earned the job on merit. A player should win a job because he was the best football player, not given a job because the rules say you have to start a Canadian and he was the best you got.

I do not buy into the argument that it would hurt the development of Canadians in lower levels if CFL jobs were not guaranteed. Kids out of Canada get picked to go to US schools all the time and some get signed by NFL teams. It can happen. I also do not think for a second that if a young Canadian player who is really good in highschool and gets Canadian university or even NCAA interest goes in with the mindset that the ultimate goal is the CFL. I am sure the dream is making big money in the NFL then if that doesn't pan out, the CFL is a nice consolation prize. You don't hear a Canadian college kid go "Well I got offered a NFL contract with a signing bonus but the Eskimos drafted me and it was my dream to be an Eskimo so I turned down the NFL to compete for an Esks job." Never, ever would that happen. They would go to the NFL, exhaust their chances and then if there is nothing else in the NFL, come to the Esks. The NBA, MLB, NFL don't have rules to guarantee spots for certain nationalities. It's a free for all. Yet Canadian kids make it all the time. There is nothing stopping a Canadian kid from making the pros if he is good enough.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-30-2020 at 04:41 PM.

vCash

For an Influx of Capital to help the league survive and bringing in Higher caliber players to raise the Visibility and prestige of the league I would agree whole Heartedly.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Will that allow us to go to a 55 man active roster with 14 man Practice Squads. These would vastly improve depth and with NFL teams paying these extra 10-11 players outside of the Salary cap would help the league as well.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.