Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

CFL twitter is asking fans which two teams have the best rivalries. I vote Edmonton/Calgary, although the intensity with Sask has been ramping up over the years. So, wondering... who do you think has the best rivalry? I pick Sask/Winnipeg second and Toronto/Hamilton third.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Lots of tweets right now from players that are not happy with the CFL offer (or the short time frame they've been given to respond).
    I'd post the tweets but guys like Tony Washington and Almondo Sewell are using words that have been banned on this site, and I can't figure out a way to omit them.
    I get the impression the players (at least those I've seen post) want a lot more than 33% and they also have indicated guaranteed contracts. They can't players leaving a job to play for non-guaranteed money just to be cut and be completely out of any source for income.

I don't think the season is gonna fly, gang.

Almondo Sewell
    @AlmondoSewell90
    ·
    9m
    If i have to risk my life with this COVID-19 and stay in a hotel for about 105 days I want my money guaranteed and more than 33% that’s a joke if y’all vote to play for this
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-14-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

CFL twitter is asking fans which two teams have the best rivalries. I vote Edmonton/Calgary, although the intensity with Sask has been ramping up over the years. So, wondering... who do you think has the best rivalry? I pick Sask/Winnipeg second and Toronto/Hamilton third.

I like EDM/CGY first then SSK/WPG (although some might consider them first), I actually like MTL/OTT third and am thinking this might heat up even more in the coming years especially if they setup an annual Labour day or Thanksgiving day battle.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Ha, I actually recorded all those curling skins games
    Better sign up for Curlers Anonymous! You need help!

vCash

Lots of tweets right now from players that are not happy with the CFL offer (or the short time frame they've been given to respond).
    I'd post the tweets but guys like Tony Washington and Almondo Sewell are using words that have been banned on this site, and I can't figure out a way to omit them.
    I get the impression the players (at least those I've seen post) want a lot more than 33% and they also have indicated guaranteed contracts. They can't players leaving a job to play for non-guaranteed money just to be cut and be completely out of any source for income.

I don't think the season is gonna fly, gang.

Almondo Sewell
    @AlmondoSewell90
    ·
    9m
    If i have to risk my life with this COVID-19 and stay in a hotel for about 105 days I want my money guaranteed and more than 33% that’s a joke if y’all vote to play for this
    Though I can understand the league offering 33%, in this circumstance they should be guaranteeing the money for anyone who makes the team.

Another interesting comment is the 105 days in a hotel. That's 15 weeks. Take off three for playoffs, there's 12 weeks, why are they only considering a 6 game schedule, that's plenty of time for a shortened training camp and at least 8 games without schedule compression which would then make more money for the players and give equal schedule difficulty.

Why not expand the roster by 5-10 players, guarantee players 6 games of salary on a 9 week, 8 game schedule, and if they stay in the lineup for all 8 games they get the extra. Any released players stay in the bubble so that other teams could recruit them if injuries mount up.

vCash

Just cancel the season. Pray we can roll in 2021. Stop ****ing over the players. people go to see the players you're pissing off. Lastly, find someone better for commish.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Just cancel the season. Pray we can roll in 2021. Stop ****ing over the players. people go to see the players you're pissing off. Lastly, find someone better for commish.
    It's probably the best course of action. The league simply doesn't have the financial strength to try and pull this off like the other big leagues and still provide financial benefit to its players.

vCash

Just cancel the season. Pray we can roll in 2021. Stop ****ing over the players. people go to see the players you're pissing off.
    This. Not worth it for the players, government doesn't want to give any money, probably lose more money trying to run a 2020 season than just cancelling anyways, and all other sports leagues trying to start up have been a COVID disaster. Throw in the towel and work on getting organized for next year.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

So Orridge was a terrible commissioner due to racism I see.

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well at least we won't have to hear Suitor yelling "Speedy B!!" over and over again all season....
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Well at least we won't have to hear Suitor yelling "Speedy B!!" over and over again all season....
    rod black

vCash

vCash

I thought it was already decided that it was Winnipeg?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I thought it was already decided that it was Winnipeg?
    There were two locations that were focused on in the early stages, Winnipeg and the Hamilton/Southern Ontario area. Both were identified for their resources regarding proximity of enough practice facilities and other amenities made available.
    I guess the city of Regina sees this as an opportunity and wants to capitalize on it. I say good on em. If some extra money and free incentives help the league make this happen, I'm in.

vCash

Just. Cancel. The. Season. !!!

vCash

Just. Cancel. The. Season. !!!
    This...

vCash

I do wonder how much longer will they drag this out for. Pretending that they get a CBA, they find a place to play assuming it's a hub City, they can get in players safely, that not mass amount of players many of whom are coming from the States are safe to play, anyone talking about the weather yet? It can be freaking brutal in Canada especially the west to play football in late November, try pushing into December with games.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Could be way off on this but I'm sure I read that the borders weren't opening up until September at the earliest. So getting all the guys from the US up here to play isn't going to happen before that. Just cancel it and move on. Sucks but when you look at the other leagues trying to have a go at it and the number of players coming down with the virus - how is it going to work?
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

rod black
    yes I'll miss him too but let him rest his golden voice for 2021
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Could be way off on this but I'm sure I read that the borders weren't opening up until September at the earliest. So getting all the guys from the US up here to play isn't going to happen before that. Just cancel it and move on. Sucks but when you look at the other leagues trying to have a go at it and the number of players coming down with the virus - how is it going to work?
    U know how close 1 on 1 lineman combat is.. every rep could be a life risker.... all to play 6 games..

Beyond stupid..

They need Look at the bigger picture, husbands, fathers, families... all at risk

vCash

The league just simply doesn't have the resources to put something like this on. The NHL took months of planning and working with medical experts and spent millions upon millions of dollars to put this in place with meticulous detail to protect the players and the community they will be playing in. Furthermore, the NHL players make a lot of money so none of them have off-season jobs of significance.

Does anyone see the difference here. I admire that they are trying but only the really high money leagues can afford to do sports the way they need to be done in the COVID era. The CFL has already admitted they can't afford to do this financially in their financial assistance requests to the government

Finally, the players need their offseason jobs to put food on their table, so how would a reasonable person give that up for the potential of what the season may be with such small financial compensation.
    Last edited by bone; 07-21-2020 at 11:45 AM.

vCash

I have a lot of confidence that the NHL can get the players in safely and once they are in the bubble, things should be fine. NHL teams charter their own planes and they have the money to get players tested and often. CFL teams don't. You are going to have players coming from all over the States on commercial airplanes coming to Canada. I don't know what a test costs but I doubt your no name Canadian football player in the US has the ability to get tested as easily as an NHL team.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

vCash

Calgary? In that dump? Though I guess like Winnipeg they could look at a campus style bubble with UofC and there is some budget hotels nearby, but Winnipegs setup and facilities seem like the best fit of the three teams mentioned even though this seems like an excercise in futility.

vCash

Calgary as a hub city? Their cases are spiking and their stadium is an absolute DUMP.

vCash

vCash

The better choice, IMO. Regina doesn't have as much hotel space.

vCash

... and they will.

vCash

You ever wanted to be a CFL player? Gonna be lots of position openings in 2020.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.