Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I don't remember him did he play last year?
    Played 8, all starts I believe after they ran into some injury problems.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Good signing for the Cats. They lost Addison to the NFL so they had to try to replace him.
    Posey is no Addison. He might partly fill the receiving cleats but Addison was much more dynamic picking up 36 carries for another 218 yards and a TD on the ground.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    BREAKING: #Argos sign Canadian cornerback Arjen Colquhoun....who injures himself signing the contract and is expected to start the year on IR
    When healthy Colquhoun can be a good player but he can't stay healthy. The last 3 seasons he's only played 24 out of a possible 54 games. Not even half the games. You can only hold on to a guy for so long IMO.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    they don't have to worry about punishment for being over the cap... the CFL loooooves Pinball and will just turn a blind eye
    Who a team signs is half the story. Usually it's the only part fans and critics pay attention to, conveniently disregarding the previous year's contracts that will no longer be on the books. Argos may be spending like mad but they are using substantial "found" money from all the guys they already released or are allowing to walk in free agency.

ARGO RELEASES OF NOTE: Bomben, Fogg, Franklin, Green, Holmes, McEwen, Mincy, Prukop, Rainey, Washington
    ARGO PENDING FAs UNSIGNED: Antigha, Awe, Bishop, Coleman, Edwards, Smith, Walker

There's some big dollars and a lot of starters amongst all those names. Toronto originally had 37 pending FAs listed. 13 have already been signed elsewhere. 17 remain unsigned including some who were released prior to free agency. So far they only re-signed 7 of their own. Running total that may have changed while I was typing this is net loss of 10; 7 pending FA's retained + 13 signed from elsewhere less 30 of their own who may still end up elsewhere or unemployed.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 02-12-2020 at 04:17 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Who a team signs is half the story. Usually the only part fans and critics pay attention too conveniently disregarding the previous year's contracts that will no longer be on the books. Argos may be spending like mad but they are using "found" money from all the guys they already released or are allowing to walk in free agency.

ARGO RELEASES OF NOTE: Bomben, Fogg, Franklin, Green, Holmes, McEwen, Mincy, Prukop, Rainey, Washington
    ARGO PENDING FAs UNSIGNED: Antigha, Awe, Bishop, Coleman, Edwards, Smith, Walker

There's some big dollars and a lot of starters amongst all those names. Toronto originally had 37 pending FAs listed. 13 have already been signed elsewhere. 17 remain unsigned including some who were released prior to free agency. So far they only re-signed 7 of their own. Running total that may have changed while I was typing this is net loss of 10; 7 pending FA's retained + 13 signed from elsewhere less 30 of their own who may still end up elsewhere or unemployed.

my comment is tounge-in-cheek

vCash

my comment is tounge-in-cheek
    Fair enough. I just hear similar "how can they spend that much" every year during free agency so often it's impossible to separate tongue-in-cheek from the regular rants.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Fair enough. I just hear similar "how can they spend that much" every year during free agency so often it's impossible to separate tongue-in-cheek from the regular rants.
    any team can spend to the nuts now.. end of the season is when they need to be under the cap

vCash

any team can spend to the nuts now.. end of the season is when they need to be under the cap
    Or at least start out Week 1 with a situation where it's easier to add pieces without having to jettison players later to make it work.

Personally I'd prefer my GM to aggressively pursue free agency to fill distinct needs even if the contract additions would surely put them over the top towards the end of the season. They still have 4 months to make whatever moves are necessary to adjust their SMS position before the season kicks off. I'd rather he do that than to be passive in thinking well I can't go after that guy because it takes me over the top today in February.

vCash

wrong forum
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I see no real reason to make this move other than an expected SMS move for Montreal.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Argos GM grumbles about his kicker...Als GM says "you think you have problems..." Argos GM says "oh yeah? Wanna trade?"
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

A dumb trade involving an Argos kicker...was Tillman involved? (Patooie!!)
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I see no real reason to make this move other than an expected SMS move for Montreal.
    Wondering with this rule now about longer term Internationals such as Bede being able to play as Nationals . Believe the rule was for American players and Bede is from France but it could apply to him. Plus Bede can handle all the kicking jobs believe Crapigna is not a punter.

vCash

I know that this thread is mostly about players, but Rich Stubler has been named DC of Montana Northern, an NAIA school. i have a former player of mine on the team, that is really why I know. If this has already been posted, sorry. To lazy to go back over all the previous posts.

https://golightsgo.com/news/2020/2/6...h-stubler.aspx
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

"The only thing I ever feared was failure" - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Wondering with this rule now about longer term Internationals such as Bede being able to play as Nationals . Believe the rule was for American players and Bede is from France but it could apply to him. Plus Bede can handle all the kicking jobs believe Crapigna is not a punter.
    Shouldn't he now be able to count as one of the mandatory two global players on a CFL roster? And if that's the case so should Bartel.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Shouldn't he now be able to count as one of the mandatory two global players on a CFL roster? And if that's the case so should Bartel.
    Honestly the CFL rules are getting complicated. Then there is the CFL neg list. At my age I've become a guy who reads the Coles notes version of the Reader's Digest condensed version. Appreciate your input, sounds about right. Where's Johnny Cochrane when you need him ? Bartel has made a good living here, believe he is the only player now that is grandfathered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by budha View Post
    I know that this thread is mostly about players, but Rich Stubler has been named DC of Montana Northern, an NAIA school. i have a former player of mine on the team, that is really why I know. If this has already been posted, sorry. To lazy to go back over all the previous posts.

https://golightsgo.com/news/2020/2/6...h-stubler.aspx
    Thanks for that. Nice to see Stubs still in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Honestly the CFL rules are getting complicated. Then there is the CFL neg list. At my age I've become a guy who reads the Coles notes version of the Reader's Digest condensed version. Appreciate your input, sounds about right. Where's Johnny Cochrane when you need him ? Bartel has made a good living here, believe he is the only player now that is grandfathered.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that. Nice to see Stubs still in the game.
    I agree a lot of these rules seem to be unnecessarily convoluted to the point that it’s annoying some times

vCash

3DownNation saying Bombers are talking to Derel Walker . Suggesting he may be offered an upfront bonus. Five Bombers in excess of $ 200,000. Walker asking in the 250,000 range.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I suspect much as players continued to retain the status they previously held when it was NI vs I and switched to NAT vs INT things will remain the same. Whatever your status was prior to rule changes will be grandfathered in for the rest of your careers.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie