Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    My guess is that Ambrosie was portraying a worst-case scenario to the government, and he was only asking for $150 million in the worst case of the worst case. That said, this is a very serious issue. Hopefully some sort of half season is still possible.

And yes, stay away from an American who wants to take control of the CFL. We all know what would happen then...if not immediately, in a couple of years.
    Braley also painting a grim picture...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/19/l...-wont-survive/
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Braley also painting a grim picture...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/19/l...-wont-survive/
    I am sure I will get beat down over this comment and as much as it pains me to say it. If the CFL as a whole loses 10-20 mill a season in a normal year, maybe they need to either take a real hard look at how they do things or it's not a viable league. You can't have it where only a couple of teams turn a profit or ever break even every year.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am sure I will get beat down over this comment and as much as it pains me to say it. If the CFL as a whole loses 10-20 mill a season in a normal year, maybe they need to either take a real hard look at how they do things or it's not a viable league. You can't have it where only a couple of teams turn a profit or ever break even every year.
    Actually, not a bad idea. If the CFL does "shut er down" this year, the league could use this opportunity to reform with a whole new business plan that might make it more inviting for both investors and fans. If you're gonna be a gate driven league, you need to ensure you can both fill the stadium, and pay the bills. If you are going to rely more on your revenues coming from TV contracts, the salaries need to change. That could change or wipe out the CFLPA though. I think all those involved need to be open to every possible scenario. I love our game the way it is, but if it needs to take a small step or two backwards to save it, I'd still support it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Is he any relation to Godfrey? Really loved how he interacted with kids at games last year, and was glad to be able to tell him that!

vCash

Actually, not a bad idea. If the CFL does "shut er down" this year, the league could use this opportunity to reform with a whole new business plan that might make it more inviting for both investors and fans. If you're gonna be a gate driven league, you need to ensure you can both fill the stadium, and pay the bills. If you are going to rely more on your revenues coming from TV contracts, the salaries need to change. That could change or wipe out the CFLPA though. I think all those involved need to be open to every possible scenario. I love our game the way it is, but if it needs to take a small step or two backwards to save it, I'd still support it.
    I do feel for the players because as much as I love the game, football is a brutal sport on the body and for most of them, they aren't getting paid a lot to beat the hell out of themselves. But at the same time, at some point you have to give if you are losing that much money year after year.

If you are the Canadian Government and the CFL comes for a handout, I get tradition, the league has been around for very long time, etc but how do you justifying giving the league 10's of millions when on a good year they lose 10-20 million.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-19-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I refuse to believe that all the teams lose between 10-20 Million dollars a year... There's no way that a team whether privately or community owned would be able to maintain that for any period of time. IF they are losing that much...where is it going? I mean, I can see the Riders losing money because of all the teams they have hidden around the province, but not all the others. Toronto sure because there's nobody in the stands at any of their games. It just seems like some doom & gloom being spread around.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

The community-owned teams have to disclose some financial information. They haven't exactly been losing money hand over fist. Of course, they're not the league's weaker links either.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

It was my understanding from reading one of those articles it was the teams collectively loosing $10 to $20 million. Not each team loosing that amount.

vCash

Don’t the eskimos usually announce how much profit they make per year? Sure I have seen posts before saying. We have made xxxxxxx amount of profit on year 2018 -19 etc

This is why I doubt all the teams are not making money.. there is prob a couple, Toronto straight away due to lack of fan base but I can’t see how the league is losing 20 mil a year it’s not viable

In turn I also don’t understand the 150 mil they are asking for... sure if your paying out every player and member with that money then def ..... but If. the players are trying to get cdn government funding then what exactly is the 150 million covering..

Def feel for the players on this one .....

vCash

I believe the 3 community-owned teams all reported a profit. The privately-held teams "broke even" or reported a loss. Interestingly, they're the only ones who don't have to share their books.

I'm not an accountant by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure any one worth his/her salt could massage the books to make a small profit look like a loss, if they chose to.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Another interesting idea floated by 3downnation regarding some form of restricted FA period which I'm sure the CFLPA would be vehemently against but personally I would be happy to see it adopted as I agree with Hodge's point regarding too much player turnover. https://3downnation.com/2020/05/20/i...d-free-agency/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Is he any relation to Godfrey? Really loved how he interacted with kids at games last year, and was glad to be able to tell him that!
    I believe they are cousins if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by adb; 05-20-2020 at 09:47 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    I believe the 3 community-owned teams all reported a profit. The privately-held teams "broke even" or reported a loss. Interestingly, they're the only ones who don't have to share their books.

I'm not an accountant by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure any one worth his/her salt could massage the books to make a small profit look like a loss, if they chose to.
    From looking at the number of fans in the stands it certainly appears like Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver would be losing money. Hamilton and Ottawa look like they have had pretty healthy attendance so you would think that they have been making money or at least breaking even although now that I think about it their Stadiums are much smaller so maybe they need those many fans every week just to break even for all I know. I would also have to think that Calgary is making money but that's likewise purely a guess. 10 to 20 million does seem like a lot of money to lose even collectively speaking.
    Last edited by adb; 05-20-2020 at 09:48 AM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If any season ticket holders have questions for the commissioner you can attend a virtual town hall today at 3 PM ET...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/20/c...ual-town-hall/. You can email questions ahead of time...https://www.cfl.ca/townhall

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    If any season ticket holders have questions for the commissioner you can attend a virtual town hall today at 3 PM ET...https://3downnation.com/2020/05/20/c...ual-town-hall/. You can email questions ahead of time...https://www.cfl.ca/townhall
    Is this virtual town hall able to be viewed by non-season ticket holders in any way?

vCash

Is this virtual town hall able to be viewed by non-season ticket holders in any way?
    https://www.cfl.ca/townhall

Grey Cup shifted; date uncertain; game will now be held at the highest-remaining seed
    Regina hosts 2022 GC after Hamilton in 2021
    No start until at least September

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-announces-gre...mber-1.1477409
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Grey Cup in December??? Yikes.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    https://www.cfl.ca/townhall

Grey Cup shifted; date uncertain; game will now be held at the highest-remaining seed
    Regina hosts 2022 GC after Hamilton in 2021
    No start until at least September

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-announces-gre...mber-1.1477409

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    That could be a cold day at Commonwealth!

vCash

Email I just received from the Esks for season ticket holders.

This week would have been the first week of training camp had it not been for the pandemic. We would have watched as new Head Coach Scott Milanovich and his staff readied all-star vets, breakout rookies and others about to make a forever impression on the Empire during another action-packed season of Eskimos Football. The Green and Gold squad, thrilling new in-stadium experiences and time-honoured traditions were set to create an electric atmosphere that can only exist at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium – home of your Edmonton Eskimos.

The COVID-19 virus put us on pause with the rest of the world.

Today, the Canadian Football League ruled out playing games this summer. We remain hopeful to begin as soon as September for a shortened but meaningful season with six regular-season home games. A final decision on this, of course, depends on what public health experts and governments tell us is safe for everyone.

Please see details in this letter from CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie. In it, he also notes Grey Cup 2020 changed to a “win and host” model, awarding the championship game to the team with the best record if we play this season. With this and the potential for a home playoff game, Edmonton could host as many as eight games.

The Edmonton Eskimos are committed to showing you the same loyalty you have shown us. Tickets will be honoured for rescheduled games.

Your payment plan will continue as scheduled. Rest assured, you’ll receive credit for the full value of any cancelled games.

We’re excited to offer you a bonus incentive to hold the credit toward your 2021 season seat renewal. When you take advantage of this opportunity, you’ll get a 10% value boost – giving you 110% value for your credit (e.g. a $200 credit is value boosted to $220).

Credits may also be used for:
    • team gear at the Eskimo Store, including jerseys! Your 10% discount will be applied too giving even more value!
    • additional tickets for games played at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium this season, including playoff games!*
    • upgrading your seats for games played at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium this season, including playoff games!*
    • tickets to the Grey Cup game at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium this season if we win the honour to host*

As always, we’re here to answer any questions you may have. Reply to this email or contact the Eskimos Customer Service Team at 780-448-3757. Thank you for your patience as we work to ensure everyone is well taken care of.

Thank you too for your continued support of the Green and Gold. We deeply appreciate you.

Sincerely,

Scott Murray
    Vice President, Ticket Sales and Service
    Edmonton Eskimos
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    As long as it's not in Regina in December.

If it ends up being that late in the year, I wonder if they'd reconsider and move it to BC Place, under the dome.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

This is awesome. The link gives you an amazing self-adjusting graphic of the all time leading passers in the CFL through history.

vCash

That was awesome!

vCash

The Football Scoop reporting today that former Edmonton Eskimo Pat Dye has been hospitalized with COVID 19. Pat only played here for two seasons, 1961 & 62. Was a LB. Had a very distinguished coaching career in NCAA football. Certainly wish him a quick and speedy recovery .

Head coach at East Carolina ,Wyoming, and Auburn ( 1981- 1992 ). Won four SEC Championships with Auburn. A National Championship in 1983.

His brother Nat played DE for us from 1959 to 1964. Nat was one of my favs, still remember him wearing # 55.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    The Football Scoop reporting today that former Edmonton Eskimo Pat Dye has been hospitalized with COVID 19. Pat only played here for two seasons, 1961 & 62. Was a LB. Had a very distinguished coaching career in NCAA football. Certainly wish him a quick and speedy recovery .

Head coach at East Carolina ,Wyoming, and Auburn ( 1981- 1992 ). Won four SEC Championships with Auburn. A National Championship in 1983.

His brother Nat played DE for us from 1959 to 1964. Nat was one of my favs, still remember him wearing # 55.
    That's tough news to hear for sure. The younger Dye brother had a fantastic career coaching in the US colleges, and has written a few books about his time playing and coaching football.

Edmonton signed both Pat Dye and Bobby Walden in December 1960 on the same day. They were teammates on the 1959 SEC champion George Bulldogs (not to be confused with the Mississippi State Bulldogs that Jackie Parker played for.... two teams in the same division called the same thing? Who would do such a thing??), and Bobby Walden also went on to a lot of success after he left the Esks a few years later.

Get well soon, coach.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

This is awesome. The link gives you an amazing self-adjusting graphic of the all time leading passers in the CFL through history.
    Great find.
    Had no idea John Hufnagel was a player. Then reading his wiki bio, I was shocked to see some of the names hes coached, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie, Tom Brady, Eli Manning... Respect for his body of work in football for sure.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash
    Blog Entries

vCash

vCash
    Blog Entries

Spring league in the US wanting to partner with the CFL...https://www.tsn.ca/the-spring-league...-cfl-1.1478249