Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 811 to 831 of 831

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

  1. #811
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,913
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    243

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Ambroise has been an awful commissioner. It's a tough time but the guy just makes the wrong moves over...and over...and over again. I really had high hopes for him....
    me too, but holy hell hes been pure garbage

  2. #812
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,496
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    282

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    I miss Cohon...
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  3. #813
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    6,142
    vCash
    2264
    Rep Power
    227

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Ambroise has been an awful commissioner. It's a tough time but the guy just makes the wrong moves over...and over...and over again. I really had high hopes for him....
    No disagreement here. He comes across as aloof when I watch him speak.

    And how he's handled everything has been nothing short of atrocious.

  4. #814
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,299
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    147

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    It surprises me and I have known him since 82-83 he is a very nice personable and smart guy. When he became Commish I figured here was a guy who will work with players and Owners. Maybe he is just in over his head or being controlled by the Owners or TSN.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

  5. #815
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,090
    vCash
    3200
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Wanted to share this, had Natey Adjei on a recent episode of The Brad And Avry Hour. An interesting look at how Natey has started getting more into the media side of things and how he's trying to prepare for a season if we have one.


    https://soundcloud.com/brad-and-avry...l-ball-podcast
    Last edited by Blogger Avry; 08-05-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

  6. #816
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    927
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    It surprises me and I have known him since 82-83 he is a very nice personable and smart guy. When he became Commish I figured here was a guy who will work with players and Owners. Maybe he is just in over his head or being controlled by the Owners or TSN.
    Some of that comes with the turf of being Commissioner of a pro league. Contrary to popular belief in some circles a Commissioner is not some form of dictator who has unfettered reign to run everything the way he sees fit. He is employed by the owners and reports to them, not the other way around. That in itself can be a challenge. In that regard Ambrosie might have it easier in that he only has to herd 9 cat-bosses instead of 30 to 32.

    As for TSN in this case I can't imagine them getting in the way. Obviously they will want to be involved in any discussions regarding a season as they will be tasked with fitting telecasts in amongst the other broadcast commitments they already have. That aside I'd think they would be doing everything they can to help the CFL get a season off the ground, not hinder it. The CFL and TSN though will have to work in unison on a schedule and will have to do so on extremely short notice.

  7. #817
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    546
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Some of that comes with the turf of being Commissioner of a pro league. Contrary to popular belief in some circles a Commissioner is not some form of dictator who has unfettered reign to run everything the way he sees fit. He is employed by the owners and reports to them, not the other way around. That in itself can be a challenge. In that regard Ambrosie might have it easier in that he only has to herd 9 cat-bosses instead of 30 to 32.
    Agreed. The Commissioner's job isn't to appease the players, its to represent the interests of the owners. NHL players have hated Bettman for 30 years now, but he continues to have a job. Why, because the owners love him. He makes them the maximum amount of money. When you look at things in that light, I bet the owners are quite happy with Ambroise. He's taking all the blame for everything from everybody while doing the dirty work for owners to maximize their profits (or in this years case, minimize their losses).
    Is it game day yet?????

  8. #818
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    927
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Agreed. The Commissioner's job isn't to appease the players, its to represent the interests of the owners. NHL players have hated Bettman for 30 years now, but he continues to have a job. Why, because the owners love him. He makes them the maximum amount of money. When you look at things in that light, I bet the owners are quite happy with Ambroise. He's taking all the blame for everything from everybody while doing the dirty work for owners to maximize their profits (or in this years case, minimize their losses).
    Maybe they won't admit it but a lot of players likely have a begrudging respect for Bettman. He helps make the owners maximize revenues but at the same time the NHL salary cap is tied to hockey related revenues. The cap has more than doubled since the 2004-2005 season that was lost to the labour dispute. As much as the players may dislike the hardline bargaining from the league one has to wonder where they would be if the NHL left things to operate as they were prior to that. I suspect they would not be making the sort of money they do today.

  9. #819
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,667
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1853

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020



    I'm a big fan of Rod's. I love having someone behind the desk with such a passion for football.
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  10. #820
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,957
    vCash
    21432
    Rep Power
    219

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    me too, but holy hell hes been pure garbage
    He's kind of turning out to be the MacTavish of league commissioners. Takes over from a complete idiot and comes in with lots of verbal bluster, attempts lots of bold moves, lots of speaking about needs before recognizing that verbalizing them actually weakens his position. All ending in the same result, the organization he's leading is in worse shape than when he took over.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Maybe they won't admit it but a lot of players likely have a begrudging respect for Bettman. He helps make the owners maximize revenues but at the same time the NHL salary cap is tied to hockey related revenues. The cap has more than doubled since the 2004-2005 season that was lost to the labour dispute. As much as the players may dislike the hardline bargaining from the league one has to wonder where they would be if the NHL left things to operate as they were prior to that. I suspect they would not be making the sort of money they do today.
    Certainly they do. The league growth that has occured under his watch has made them tons of money.

  11. #821
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,667
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1853

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020



    Hate to say it, but I think the league has known for a while that there won't be a 2020 season. They just don't want to tell the PA and deal with the fallout if there is potential for some of the elite CFLers to get to NFL camps (of course that would be assuming the NFL has a season).
    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

  12. #822
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,496
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    282

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    There won’t be an NFL season either. Just too many moving pieces to keep them all COVID-free.
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

  13. #823
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,274
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    There won’t be an NFL season either. Just too many moving pieces to keep them all COVID-free.
    don't underestimate the greed of old white guys
    In Rod we trust

  14. #824

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Ambroise has been an awful commissioner. It's a tough time but the guy just makes the wrong moves over...and over...and over again. I really had high hopes for him....
    To his credit he did seem to reduce offensive holding calls as he promised he would. Global vacation was a good scam. It is an insult to CFL fans to pay him the wages he is earning. Six regular posters of this form would do just as well.

  15. #825
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,415
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    don't underestimate the greed of old white guys
    It's the very basis of the u.s. "value" system.
    In hindsight the CFL players who could have "jumped" to the NFL will be thankfull for being excluded from an almost guaranteed disaster.

  16. #826
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    26,007
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    226

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    There won’t be an NFL season either. Just too many moving pieces to keep them all COVID-free.
    Oh, there will be. I just don't know if they finish it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    don't underestimate the greed of old white guys
    Just white guys are greedy? Or do you just mean Jerry Jones, who thinks that he's having full stands?
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; Yesterday at 07:40 PM.

  17. #827
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    927
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    125

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post


    Hate to say it, but I think the league has known for a while that there won't be a 2020 season. They just don't want to tell the PA and deal with the fallout if there is potential for some of the elite CFLers to get to NFL camps (of course that would be assuming the NFL has a season).
    Really though how many might actually benefit if they were free to go? In recent years the NFL has proven to have little to no interest in CFL veterans once they get up around 28. The guys that did get deals in the past couple of years are almost all in the 25 to 27 range. NFL teams are now starting training camps with their 90+ players. Many CFL players who might think they could catch on now were unable to catch on back in January and February when NFL teams were just starting their offseason personnel efforts. With there being a very good possibility of the NFL going straight to regular season action without preseason games they have bigger fish to fry than to start negotiating with their own PA as well as the CFL to pave the way for at most a handful of CFL players to push someone else they have recruited and already invested time in from the last spot or two on their TC roster. We do know that the NFLPA was against the idea of re-invoking the option year clause with some of the strings the CFL wanted attached. For CFL players unfortunately things will remain same as normal. If they wanted to go south they should have earned a deal back in January or wait again until next January.
    Last edited by Hammer24; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.

  18. #828
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,274
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Oh, there will be. I just don't know if they finish it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Just white guys are greedy? Or do you just mean Jerry Jones, who thinks that he's having full stands?
    I meant Jerry Jones yeah they're all greedy I think most of the nfl owners are white, I know Jacksonville is Khan who isn't white but I'm sure he's a greedy prick too
    In Rod we trust

  19. #829
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    26,007
    vCash
    2682
    Rep Power
    226

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I meant Jerry Jones yeah they're all greedy I think most of the nfl owners are white, I know Jacksonville is Khan who isn't white but I'm sure he's a greedy prick too
    Oh, he is! I just hate the singling out of any skin color. I know white-bashing is in vogue right now, but 75% of ALL people are bad, in my view. Greed? Makes me think of Saudi Arabia! Or the Communist Party of China.

  20. #830
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,274
    vCash
    21532
    Rep Power
    335

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Oh, he is! I just hate the singling out of any skin color. I know white-bashing is in vogue right now, but 75% of ALL people are bad, in my view. Greed? Makes me think of Saudi Arabia! Or the Communist Party of China.
    well I'm white and old but I said white cause I believe 30 of the owners in the NFL are old white guys. Depends on your definition of old though.
    98% of people are bad in my view that's why I prefer dogs and cats.
    In Rod we trust

  21. #831
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    13,667
    vCash
    39376
    Rep Power
    1853

    Re: Around the CFL - 2020

    And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •