Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Around the CFL - 2020

vCash

Re: Around the CFL - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I am sure they would want their guys to play. My thinking is some of these guys would be replacing some of the random free agents that every CFL teams signs. Go down the list of the Esks as an example and there are lots of guys none of us have a clue who they are who were signed right out of NCAA and will end up starting. Take Diggs last season. He was in College until 2017, spent 2018 with Washington. Came to the Esks last season and pretty much started the whole season. He's only 24. If they had played this season and he had another good year, could I see him making the jump to the NFL? Yup. So what if instead of him just hanging out with Washington all 2018 probably not doing much, at least not playing. He came to the Esks in 2018, most likely played for the Esks, maybe stayed with them for 2019 like he did and make the jump in 2020. The CFL usually only gets these college guys if they are any good for a couple of seasons max anyway. The CFL team gets access to really good college free agents they normally wouldn't have because they opt to either not play at all hoping an NFL team comes calling or hang around an NFL team not getting a sniff. The player gets valuable practice but also game time to help him develop.
    So what happens if you have that JC Sherrit type player that is not going to make the NFL and he gets bumped out of his starting role for a less effective CFL player (totally different game especially at the linebacker position) because the NFL wants him to play? I still like the idea but there are some hurdles to be crossed for sure.
    Blindly criticize every move eventough I have about 1/4 of the information

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music...

vCash

Shortened season? Without fans? How? I just don't see it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    So what happens if you have that JC Sherrit type player that is not going to make the NFL and he gets bumped out of his starting role for a less effective CFL player (totally different game especially at the linebacker position) because the NFL wants him to play? I still like the idea but there are some hurdles to be crossed for sure.
    What happens for instance in the case of the Esks sitting there with 2 CFL West DT all-stars in Sewell and Moore and the NFL team wants to send up another DT to get significant playing time?

I don't think it matters much. Personally I don't see there being anything in the idea for the NFL other than to play philanthropist to the CFL by theoretically covering their salaries. With the NCAA spitting out 1000 new graduates every year and the ability to cherry pick a handful of other players every year that the CFL developed for them on the CFL's dime why spend more money to allocate players to the CFL? To be available such players be deemed to be unable to hang onto one of the 65 active and PR spots every NFL team carries.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 07-02-2020 at 10:26 AM.

vCash

Dave Naylor just said the idea has no traction whatsoever.

So I guess we can potentially put this one to bed.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...768738305?s=20

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Dave Naylor just said the idea has no traction whatsoever.

So I guess we can potentially put this one to bed.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/st...768738305?s=20
    Good. I'd rather see the league take a step back on it's own vs having to do it by following mandated NFL policies. I do like the idea of creating a a stronger connection between the two leagues though. It could potentially help with our US depth. There is so much talent out there that doesn't even know the CFL exists.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I don't see it happening unless nah I don't see it happening
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Not sure what is going on, but it appears as though some of the players have received an email outlining some of the proposals for a return to play for 2020. I'm trying to find something less speculative. If I do, I will post.

vCash

hmmm... a six game season???
    Looks like this is probably what a few of the players were tweeting about tonight.
    Hate to say it, but I suspect most US players are not going to want to go through all the hassle of getting up here, put in isolation and proceed to live in a bubble for a 1/3 of their Canadian bucks (assuming the league will pro-rate their pay). Can't see it happening.

vCash

Eight teams in the playoffs? Rider fans will be upset.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    There will definitely be things that would have to be ironed out. Maybe the CFL team would have the ability to designate a few spots that are deemed untouchable to the NFL team. I don't know. Like I said, CFL teams every year bring in young Americans, some right out of college who make the team, start and then within a season or 2 are trying out for an NFL team after they gained more experience. I do think there is a way to do it to make the NFL team happy but also not hamper the CFL team. If you had the CFL being looked at as more of a development league vs the way I think some guys look it which is the last resort when the NFL dream is dead, maybe that opens up a few more guys coming up here rather than sitting at home working out not playing. I don't think there is a perfect system but I do think the CFL has to do something if it wants to survive. Even without Covid, attendance has been declining across the league. Opening up the league so teams are bringing over a guy from Germany to be on the roster IMO doesn't move the needle in North America. They have to do something different because keeping the status quo IMO won't work long term.
    Blindly accept whatever they do and if it doesn't work out, I guess there's always next year.

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    There will definitely be things that would have to be ironed out. Maybe the CFL team would have the ability to designate a few spots that are deemed untouchable to the NFL team. I don't know. Like I said, CFL teams every year bring in young Americans, some right out of college who make the team, start and then within a season or 2 are trying out for an NFL team after they gained more experience. I do think there is a way to do it to make the NFL team happy but also not hamper the CFL team. If you had the CFL being looked at as more of a development league vs the way I think some guys look it which is the last resort when the NFL dream is dead, maybe that opens up a few more guys coming up here rather than sitting at home working out not playing. I don't think there is a perfect system but I do think the CFL has to do something if it wants to survive. Even without Covid, attendance has been declining across the league. Opening up the league so teams are bringing over a guy from Germany to be on the roster IMO doesn't move the needle in North America. They have to do something different because keeping the status quo IMO won't work long term.
    From what we've seen recently with the concept of reinstituting the option year window the NFL will have no interest in any NFL/CFL arrangement unless there are no strings attached. If they deploy a player to the CFL they will want the ability to recall him at any time. It also only stands to reason if they are sending players for development that they will want a lot of say in how that surrogate CFL team utilizes and develops said player. That would be not unlike NHL clubs sending players down to the AHL. They don't just send them down to be utilized in whatever manner the AHL coach sees fit. They closely monitor their prospects and if anything want them to be utilized in more prominent roles with more icetime in the minors than they'd get if they were with the big club. For the NFL it would serve no purpose to send a prospect to the CFL if that player is going to languish on the PR or get a few reps on special teams. He has to play and with the ratio being what it is that means he likely has to start given there is very little room for backup INTs on a CFL game roster. If that meant the CFL team had to park a good veteran on the bench to make room so be it. Again it's really difficult to see what's in this concept for NFL teams unless they can dictate all aspects of the player's development.

vCash

Probably the best way to make a pitch. Fingers crossed.

vCash

vCash

This is a more realistic ask from the CFL. I can see them getting something now from the Feds over the the $150mill ask. 1/4 of $150 is $37.5mill so I bet it's around $40mill.